Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence (31679 Views)

Do You Know That This Sentence Contains All The English Alphabet? / Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. / Grammarians, Who Can Correctly Fill In The Spaces In These Sentences? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Omodua(m): 7:43pm On Apr 02, 2022
nextstep:
Both these forms are correct:

Request for the redesignation of my appointment to administrative staff
Request for the redesignation of my appointment as administrative staff

In the first, redesignation is a verb. I prefer it because it emphasizes change from-to
In the second, redesignation is a state of being. It doesn't really emphasize the change. It can be ambiguous: redesignate (to what?) as administrative staff.

You also won't use the form with "an administrative staff", because staff is plural. (e.g. a member of staff; a staff member; but not a staff)
You're too much!
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by yanabasee(m): 7:53pm On Apr 02, 2022
NairaMaster1:

Non of the above Sir.

Ok...
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Obalola4: 8:10pm On Apr 02, 2022
This thing is simple brother.

Just change the word redesign with another meaning. Redesignation means "Change....* So, I believe this should be more apt in that context.

Request for the redesignation of my appointment to administrative staff.

Cheers! I scored A1 in English..lol!
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by kingsclass: 8:55pm On Apr 02, 2022
Use 'as' and not 'to'.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by ultimateprof: 9:02pm On Apr 02, 2022
Loewe:

None of the above. Below is what you should use:

Request for Redesignation as Administrative Staff

Lacking proper punctuation and using capital letters in inappropriate ways because those words are not proper nouns.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 02, 2022
ultimateprof:

Lacking proper punctuation and using capital letters in inappropriate ways because those words are not proper nouns.

I drafted it as the subject of the letter, which I believe is the intent of the OP. I explained that in my second post, although I don't expect you to have read that, as it seems you were more bent on 'correcting' me
cheesy cheesy

By the way, your comment lacks proper syntax. I suggest you put more effort into constructing your sentences for others to make sense of it... Ciao!

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Nobody: 9:38pm On Apr 02, 2022
nextstep:
Both these forms are correct:

In the first, redesignation is a verb. I prefer it because it emphasizes change from-to
In the second, redesignation is a state of being. It doesn't really emphasize the change. It can be ambiguous: redesignate (to what?) as administrative staff.

You also won't use the form with "an administrative staff", because staff is plural. (e.g. a member of staff; a staff member; but not a staff)

Redesignation is a NOUN, not a verb! Redesignate is the verb form i.e. it can be in the present or past tense. Redesignation is the noun form. You may confirm this on google...

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by tomju2(f): 11:13pm On Apr 02, 2022
Request for redesignation of my appointment to administrative staff
This is correct.

quote author=Beress
post=111583417]Request for the redesignation of my appointment to an administrative staff

Request for the redesignation of my appointment as an administrative staff

Pls which is the best to use among all these. It's meant to be the title of an official letter I want to write. I want to change from clerical staff to administrative staff.

I will appreciate your response

MODIFIED

Having listened to some grammarians here, I now have two options:

Request for Redesignation to Administrative Staff

OR

Pls which is the most appropriate[/quote]
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by SilvanusII(m): 11:14pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:
Request for the redesignation of my appointment to an administrative staff

Pls which is the best to use among all these. It's meant to be the title of an official letter I want to write. I want to change from clerical staff to administrative staff.

MODIFIED

OR

Pls which is the most appropriate

The first instance for when you were not an Admin staff, neither do u occupy a position with roles similar to an Admin staff, but now desire to be one. The second is for the situation that you occupy a role, say perhaps secretarial, but you'd rather not be called secretary but Admin staff
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Ladymillion(f): 11:58pm On Apr 02, 2022
You tried there but your request should be captured properly bc they are 2 different cadres that will be considered by SSC of your MDA before forwarding to FCSC, "REQUEST FOR REDESIGNATION OF CADRE FROM CLERICAL TO ADMINISTRATIVE " bear in mind that they may invoke APD rule to kill it on arrival
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by bepositive11: 5:03am On Apr 03, 2022
It depends on the context.

For clarity, use "Request for Redesignation as ___ to ___"

Beress:

MODIFIED

OR

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by ultimateprof: 6:55am On Apr 03, 2022
Loewe:

I drafted it as the subject of the letter, which I believe is the intent of the OP. I explained that in my second post, although I don't expect you to have read that, as it seems you were more bent on 'correcting' me
cheesy cheesy

By the way, your comment lacks proper syntax. I suggest you put more effort into constructing your sentences for others to make sense of it... Ciao!
An amateur sensed and this is one of the shortcomings of this forum.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by mrksquare: 7:01am On Apr 03, 2022
Beress:

MODIFIED

OR

Install Grammarly on your system and thank me later.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by suraaj(m): 7:53am On Apr 03, 2022
layycon:

This is the correct one
this is the correct one i believe you should us.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by ultimatekint(m): 8:59am On Apr 03, 2022
Ask Buhari .
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Nobody: 9:20am On Apr 03, 2022
ultimateprof:

An amateur sensed and this is one of the shortcomings of this forum.

Another blunder! Work on ur grammar before trying to correct ur big bros grin
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by joshkke(m): 9:59am On Apr 03, 2022

Redesignation does not mean posted so using to in this regard is wrong. It means renaming basically, so as is correct. Its a noun, not a verb
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by EmmaxKeys: 2:00pm On Apr 03, 2022
Nothing like request for the, it is request the
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Ameduedwin: 5:57pm On Apr 03, 2022
godofuck231:
A request to to effect a redesignation of my appointment from an executive staff to the position as an administrative staff ( the title of your letter should speak in brief and state your intent not confuse or hide intents )

op follow this guy method here it will help you thanks.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by godofuck231: 12:41am On Apr 04, 2022
ultimatekint:
Ask Buhari .
waka, you want make em fail like super eagles abi
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by MARYIAN(f): 12:49am On Apr 04, 2022
the first one is correct.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by ultimatekint(m): 9:59pm On Apr 10, 2022
godofuck231:
waka, you want make em fail like super eagles abi
Mr fool.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oni Babajide Graduates As OAU Best Graduating Student with 4.86 CGPA / NOUN Graduates Now Eligible For NYSC & Law School / She Was Expelled After Confessing Of Using Fake O'level Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.