Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,079 members, 7,957,024 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:55 AM

How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino (6391 Views)

Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book / Google Honours Olaudah Equiano, Freed Slave Who Supported The British Movement / Photo Of Ooni Of Ife's New Wife As Claimed By Women Of Rubies (But It Is Fake) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by bigfrancis21: 9:18pm On Apr 22, 2022
Jameseddi1:

Slaves that was taken in your region all was classified as bight of Benin. you and your Friend still here contradicting what olaudah equiano documents supported

Bight of Benin and Benin Kingdom are two different things. Do not confuse the two.

A “BIGHT” REFERS TO a bend or curve, most often a crescent shape, that forms an open bay in a coastline. The Bight of Benin is a roughly 500-mi- (800-km-) long bend in the West African coast, stretching from near the mouth of the Volta River (Cape Saint Paul) in GHANA eastward across the coastlines of TOGO and BENIN to the DELTA of the Niger River in NIGERIA.

That is, Bight of Benin starts from Ghana to Togo to Benin to SW/Bendel Nigeria. East of the River Niger (from Delta Igbo) down to Cameroon and even Central Africa was known as Bight of Bonny/Biafra.

Benin Kingdom refers to Bini people (less than 250,000 people at its peak) and their territories proper.

Slaves from Igboland were sold under the Bight of Bonny, not Bight of Benin. Igbo slaves were not sent to Lagos for sale. Yoruba slaves were sold at Lagos and Ouidah ports. The 2 most popular ports in the Bight of Bonny were Calabar and Bonny (Rivers state) ports. The major slave ports in the Bight of Benin were Lomé, Togo; Cotonou, Benin; and Lagos, Nigeria.

The major slaves sold from the Bight of Benin were Asante, Twi, Fon, Ga, Yoruba etc. Slaves from Ghana to Benin dominated the Bight of Benin slave trade until the 1800s (the Oyo-Dahomey wars) when Yoruba slaves, who were mostly captives and spoils of war, became majority. However, from the Bight of Bonny, Igbo slaves remained the majority consistently throughout the entire slave period. Slaves sold from the Bight of Bonny were Igbo, Ibibio, and some numbers from Cameroon etc.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by Jameseddi1: 11:33pm On Apr 22, 2022
bigfrancis21:

Bight of Benin and Benin Kingdom are two different things. Do not confuse the two.

That is, Bight of Benin starts from Ghana to Togo to Benin to SW/Bendel Nigeria. East of the River Niger (from Delta Igbo) down to Cameroon and even Central Africa was known as Bight of Bonny/Biafra.

Benin Kingdom refers to Bini people (less than 250,000 people at its peak) and their territories proper.

Slaves from Igboland were sold under the Bight of Bonny, not Bight of Benin. Igbo slaves were not sent to Lagos for sale. Yoruba slaves were sold at Lagos and Ouidah ports. The 2 most popular ports in the Bight of Bonny were Calabar and Bonny (Rivers state) ports. The major slave ports in the Bight of Benin were Lomé, Togo; Cotonou, Benin; and Lagos, Nigeria.

The major slaves sold from the Bight of Benin were Asante, Twi, Fon, Ga, Yoruba etc. Slaves from Ghana to Benin dominated the Bight of Benin slave trade until the 1800s (the Oyo-Dahomey wars) when Yoruba slaves, who were mostly captives and spoils of war, became majority. However, from the Bight of Bonny, Igbo slaves remained the majority consistently throughout the entire slave period. Slaves sold from the Bight of Bonny were Igbo, Ibibio, and some numbers from Cameroon etc.

Olaudah Equiano Was one of this Igbo slaves he stated that this Igbo was under Benin kingdom.

Olaudah Equiano Is the only evidence that Igbo was actually sold as slaves in pre colony era.

Read about his book and you will see the authorities Benin have over igbo then. We are not talking about Yoruba here.

Accept you want to bring evidence of Igbos sold as slave before 19th century that not Olaudah Equiano narratives.
Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by Jameseddi1: 11:46pm On Apr 22, 2022
bigfrancis21:

If these places came from Bini, how come they all speak Igbo language as native tongue?

I just want to hear your answer.

This is normal Benin language is old Igbo is new Latin gave birth to most European languages now even English is wildly more spoken than Latin. Esan came from Benin but the people speak Esan not Benin auchi a lot. If you check well Igbo seems to be curuptd language of Igala Eka and Benin.
Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by Jameseddi1: 11:54pm On Apr 22, 2022
ThickSharon123:

Bini scarcely traded in Igbo slaves. The people who traded in Igbo slaves were Igbos , from the producer to the middlemen. Bini knew it's lane.

Don’t talk what you don’t know ok.

European never documented anything about your imagination Igbo then until slave trade was band. They traded with Benin in that region mentioned and documented it several times. The only reason people believe they took Igbo was because of Olaudah Equiano who claim this people was Ebo and still was under Benin control.

Your Igbo came into existence after slave was band accept you mean it this Ebo that was under Benin kingdom peace out.
Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by Jameseddi1: 12:08am On Apr 23, 2022
ThickSharon123:

Yes, and they were Igbo slave traders from the producers to the middlemen. Bini had a very small part and didn't have power in all of the East. It never had the power you propehese it did, check the history books. I don't know which history book you're reading or what part of Oluadah's work shows that. Stop being delusional.

No they were no Igbo traders as you claimed.

European never mentioned Igbo or Igbo trader anywhere in their pre colony documents.

What European keep mentioning was them trading and doing business with Benin even people Debate now that it was because Benin were the people they traded with that why they were naming most geographical areas Benin.

So don’t bring fake claim by emeka from 19th century.

I repeat European never traded with Igbo until slave trade was abolished.

If this happens kindly bring your proof Because I’m still 100 pacent sure.

So as Olaudah Equiano the only Igbo or let me say Ebo claimed that Igbo was been taken this trade must be controlled by Benin authorities chiefs.

European claim Benin sold slave to them anyway but Benin but might be denied by some Benin sha but Itshekiri said them and Benin together sold slaves.

But as fact remains European never documented ever doing business or trading with Igbo
Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by Jameseddi1: 12:25am On Apr 23, 2022
ThickSharon123:
I'm ok

I don't know what you're talking about, but the only areas Bini had a foothold is Bini, Igbo clans in the West (not all) had only nominal representation. Bini couldn't do anything or force them to be subjected. Ever wondered why Bini never brought it's madness at the east but took it to the west? You tell yourself that. All Igbo clans in the west, that's Western Igbos were only nominally related to Bini.

Lol which madness? Haha which other Igbo king is greater than Obi of anitcha, Obi of Agbor. Benin was having control over your greatest kings and this kings was controlling the rest Ebo tribe and then send tax to Benin kingdom (oba of Benin). Olaudah Equiano Was never wrong if you check well.

Up till now if you go to Obi of agbor palace he nor go still disagree Waten happen for history.

I know that politician ojuku brainwashed you guys head some years back to pursue his political ambitions. #biafra #isreal hahah
Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by bigfrancis21: 3:09am On Apr 23, 2022
Jameseddi1:

Olaudah Equiano Was one of this Igbo slaves he stated that this Igbo was under Benin kingdom.

Olaudah Equiano Is the only evidence that Igbo was actually sold as slaves in pre colony era.

Read about his book and you will see the authorities Benin have over igbo then. We are not talking about Yoruba here.

Accept you want to bring evidence of Igbos sold as slave before 19th century that not Olaudah Equiano narratives.

That part of Africa, known by the name of Guinea, to which the trade for slaves is carried on, extends along
the coast above 3400 miles, from Senegal to Angola, and includes a variety of kingdoms. Of these the most
considerable is the kingdom of Benin....This kingdom is divided into many provinces or districts: in
one of the most remote and fertile of which,
- 5 -
I was born, in the year 1745, situated in a charming fruitful vale, named Essaka. The distance of this
province from the capital of Benin and the sea coast must be very considerable; for I had never heard
of white men or Europeans, nor of the sea; and our subjection to the king of Benin was little more than
nominal; for every transaction of the government, as far as my slender observation extended, was conducted
by the chiefs or elders of the place

1) Do you realize here that Olaudah confessed that while in Africa and growing up in his village he had never heard of Benin until he got to the Americas? And even if his village was under Bini, the power of the Oba of Bini was merely nominal [meaning of nominal:
(of a role or status) existing in name only]. Meaning that if his village was under the King of Bini, then it was only by name because his presence was generally unknown in his village (confirming again that the Oba of Bini's influence barely exceeded beyond the River Niger). It is very likely that his village was not under Bini to begin with because the Bini king would have sent someone to rule over his people if they were subjected under him. All the affairs of his people were handled by the elders of the community and not by a King representative from Bini, as the King of Bini did with the areas under him.

2) Do you understand also that as of the 1800s when Olaudah wrote his book, Nigeria as a country did not exist. Most African countries and boundaries did not exist. Olaudah used the nearest landmark to his village, which was the Kingdom of Bini to pinpoint the geographical location of his people. Did you also notice that he mentioned Guinea as another geographical landmark as well?

I see most antagonists reading his first page, stopping there and making unfounded claims about his ethnicity, without bothering to read his book in full.

Ibo/Eboe was always used to refer to Igbo speaking people, way before the people themselves accepted the name. This argument about whether Eboe and Igbo are the same is quite petty.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by Jameseddi1: 12:08pm On Apr 23, 2022
bigfrancis21:

1) Do you realize here that Olaudah confessed that while in Africa and growing up in his village he had never heard of Benin until he got to the Americas? And even if his village was under Bini, the power of the Oba of Bini was merely nominal [meaning of nominal:
(of a role or status) existing in name only]. Meaning that if his village was under the King of Bini, then it was only by name because his presence was generally unknown in his village (confirming again that the Oba of Bini's influence barely exceeded beyond the River Niger). It is very likely that his village was not under Bini to begin with because the Bini king would have sent someone to rule over his people if they were subjected under him. All the affairs of his people were handled by the elders of the community and not by a King representative from Bini, as the King of Bini did with the areas under him.

2) Do you understand also that as of the 1800s when Olaudah wrote his book, Nigeria as a country did not exist. Most African countries and boundaries did not exist. Olaudah used the nearest landmark to his village, which was the Kingdom of Bini to pinpoint the geographical location of his people. Did you also notice that he mentioned Guinea as another geographical landmark as well?

I see most antagonists reading his first page, stopping there and making unfounded claims about his ethnicity, without bothering to read his book in full.

Ibo/Eboe was always used to refer to Igbo speaking people, way before the people themselves accepted the name. This argument about whether Eboe and Igbo are the same is quite petty.

the kingdom of Benin....This kingdom is divided into many provinces or districts: in
- 5 -
I was born, in the year 1745, situated in a charming fruitful vale, named Essaka. The distance of this
province from the capital of Benin and the sea coast must be very considerable; for I had never heard.

The Above statement the guy called Benin kingdom an empire/ country.

Then he later said his place I Ebo was one of the province of Benin. Now let me say the meaning of province, (a principal administrative division of a country or empire.)

Now a king that has a country or empire which Ebo was one of his many province can’t be selecting admin, he can only do this in his capital Edo Benin city. Even in Edo then the king was so decorated that you can’t even see him it only high chifs and commands that have that privilege you wan see Oba you wan see I’m finish lol.

Even me never see Nigeria president before our issues are been taken care of by local government chairman not even governor’s oh talkes of overall president.

Bro you have no debate here He confess his place was one of the province of Benin that enough or google the meaning of province.
Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by ThickSharon123(f): 2:27pm On Apr 23, 2022
Jameseddi1:

Lol which madness? Haha which other Igbo king is greater than Obi of anitcha, Obi of Agbor. Benin was having control over your greatest kings and this kings was controlling the rest Ebo tribe and then send tax to Benin kingdom (oba of Benin). Olaudah Equiano Was never wrong if you check well.

Up till now if you go to Obi of agbor palace he nor go still disagree Waten happen for history.

I know that politician ojuku brainwashed you guys head some years back to pursue his political ambitions. #biafra #isreal hahah

It's a lie. I believe you haven't heard of Eze Chima from Aro, or the Aro priest who came to the Oba of Bini based on official priestly duties and when things got sour he decided to leave the enclave, Bini and made the Anioma people. He learned the monarchial system which he gave to those Obi of Onitsha and the likes and Bini or the Oba also learned priestly, spiritual duites by taking the four market days and all things which are similar to Igbo spirituality. If Bini had rules that much why did it make Onitsha to name its own Obi, why not Oba, or Onogie? If you look at it your way it's still nominal, because Bini couldn't lord it over other clans and city states in the east. So, stop trying to force your imaginary Bini kingdom ruling the east, it was never there. Some people in the far East do not know of Bini or how it looks like (that's the truth)

3 Likes

Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by ThickSharon123(f): 2:29pm On Apr 23, 2022
Jameseddi1:

No they were no Igbo traders as you claimed.

European never mentioned Igbo or Igbo trader anywhere in their pre colony documents.

What European keep mentioning was them trading and doing business with Benin even people Debate now that it was because Benin were the people they traded with that why they were naming most geographical areas Benin.

So don’t bring fake claim by emeka from 19th century.

I repeat European never traded with Igbo until slave trade was abolished.

If this happens kindly bring your proof Because I’m still 100 pacent sure.

So as Olaudah Equiano the only Igbo or let me say Ebo claimed that Igbo was been taken this trade must be controlled by Benin authorities chiefs.

European claim Benin sold slave to them anyway but Benin but might be denied by some Benin sha but Itshekiri said them and Benin together sold slaves.

But as fact remains European never documented ever doing business or trading with Igbo

The Aros were what? The Bonny Igbos where what? The Opobo Igbos where what? Bini had a small part in the slave trade (I repeat this) and it sold more from the West and a little Igbo clans. Bini knew it's hold, if it attacked the east, it knew it's done. That's why it respected if integrity till date.

1 Like

Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by ThickSharon123(f): 2:32pm On Apr 23, 2022
Jameseddi1:

Don’t talk what you don’t know ok.

European never documented anything about your imagination Igbo then until slave trade was band. They traded with Benin in that region mentioned and documented it several times. The only reason people believe they took Igbo was because of Olaudah Equiano who claim this people was Ebo and still was under Benin control.

Your Igbo came into existence after slave was band accept you mean it this Ebo that was under Benin kingdom peace out.

Then you don't read history books. So Ubini being translated to Benin should well mean that present day Benin was never written in history books,. So the Oba of Benin we have today is a farce. Stop being delusional.

Saying Eboe, Ibo or Ebo wasn't Igbo becuase Europeans mistranslated it, so we must accept Ebo before you conclude it's Igbo. How do you deduce facts in such manner? grin

3 Likes

Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by ThickSharon123(f): 2:39pm On Apr 23, 2022
Jameseddi1:

the kingdom of Benin....This kingdom is divided into many provinces or districts: in
- 5 -
province from the capital of Benin and the sea coast must be very considerable; for I had never heard.

The Above statement the guy called Benin kingdom an empire/ country.

Then he later said his place I Ebo was one of the province of Benin. Now let me say the meaning of province, (a principal administrative division of a country or empire.)

Now a king that has a country or empire which Ebo was one of his many province can’t be selecting admin, he can only do this in his capital Edo Benin city. Even in Edo then the king was so decorated that you can’t even see him it only high chifs and commands that have that privilege you wan see Oba you wan see I’m finish lol.

Even me never see Nigeria president before our issues are been taken care of by local government chairman not even governor’s oh talkes of overall president.

Bro you have no debate here He confess his place was one of the province of Benin that enough or google the meaning of province.

"province from the capital of Benin and the sea coast must be very considerable; for I had never heard."

Why did you pull out this part. Bini never had the power you propehese it hard. It was little known in all of the East. Bini knew were its spiritual power and integrity lies and it never messed with anyhwere in the East. So, stop pushing this agenda to feel the Bini king was so powerful becuase he ruled a great race, it never happened.

And you cannot use province as your basis, it means several things and if you read Oluadah's work, it is hinging on the first, becuase he said ""province from the capital of Benin and the sea coast must be very considerable; for I had never heard."which simply means he never heard of it. so, rest, biko.

2 Likes

Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by Jameseddi1: 9:43pm On Apr 24, 2022
ThickSharon123:

It's a lie. I believe you haven't heard of Eze Chima from Aro, or the Aro priest who came to the Oba of Bini based on official priestly duties and when things got sour he decided to leave the enclave, Bini and made the Anioma people. He learned the monarchial system which he gave to those Obi of Onitsha and the likes and Bini or the Oba also learned priestly, spiritual duites by taking the four market days and all things which are similar to Igbo spirituality. If Bini had rules that much why did it make Onitsha to name its own Obi, why not Oba, or Onogie? If you look at it your way it's still nominal, because Bini couldn't lord it over other clans and city states in the east. So, stop trying to force your imaginary Bini kingdom ruling the east, it was never there. Some people in the far East do not know of Bini or how it looks like (that's the truth)

You Benin never rul east. Olaudah Equiano I’m from igbo as you claim which was under the kingdom of Benin.

It left for you to argue with Olaudah Equiano if you are right oh he is.
Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by ThickSharon123(f): 1:45am On Apr 25, 2022
Jameseddi1:

You Benin never rul east. Olaudah Equiano I’m from igbo as you claim which was under the kingdom of Benin.

It left for you to argue with Olaudah Equiano if you are right oh he is.

I don't understand you oooo. Where you drinking when you typed this grin

1 Like

Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by haggai247: 4:40pm On Apr 27, 2022
clefstone:
there is no doubt that most slaves sold from the southern coast of Today's Nigeria were Igbos from the Eastern hinterland
Ajé sir
Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by kals4luv990(m): 2:09pm On May 19, 2022
IgbuduMonkey:
That part of Africa, known by the name of Guinea, to which the trade for slaves is carried on, extends along the coast above 3400 miles, from the Senegal to Angola, and includes a variety of kingdoms. Of these the most considerable is the kingdom of Benen, both as to extent and wealth, the richness and cultivation of the soil, the power of its king, and the number and warlike disposition of the inhabitants. It is situated nearly under the line, and extends along the coast about 170 miles, but runs back into the interior part of Africa to a distance hitherto I believe unexplored by any traveller; and seems only terminated at length by the empire of Abyssinia, near 1500 miles from its beginning. This kingdom is divided into many provinces or districts: in one of the most remote and fertile of which, called Eboe, I was born, in the year 1745, in a charming fruitful vale, named Essaka. The distance of this province from the capital of Benin and the sea coast must be very considerable; for I had never heard of white men or Europeans, nor of the sea: and our subjection to the king of Benin was little more than nominal
please stop spilling trash you know nothing about..but what tribe are you tho
Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by IgbuduMonkey: 11:24pm On May 19, 2022
kals4luv990:
please stop spilling trash you know nothing about..but what tribe are you tho
Tell me what you know
Re: How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino by Obalufon: 5:05pm On Sep 16
[quote author=bigfrancis21 post=112192300]

Ibo/Eboe was always used to refer to Igbo speaking people, way before the people themselves accepted the name. This argument about whether Eboe and Igbo are the same is quite petty.[/quote

Olaudah is not ibo . The word ibo has never been been existence or used to refer to set of people or clan then... Olaudah probably from ugbo bini ..because he mentioned ..Oye eboe..what is Oye eboe?and where is located

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photo Evidence Of Oreri (ora-eri)People Of Anambra State Being Igala By Ancestry / Igbos Are The Most Achivers In Africa. / What Can We (nigerians) Do To Stop Armed Robberies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.