Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,368 members, 7,819,319 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment (16023 Views)

LP Tackles Soyinka, Accuses Nobel Laureate Of ‘exhibiting Dual Character’ / Kano Govt Reacts To Attempts To Bribe Tribunal Judge, Accuses Ganduje / El-Rufai Accuses Ganduje Of Bribing NLC Leaders To Cause Mayhem In Kaduna (Audio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by 9jakool: 12:20pm On Apr 11, 2022
ArewaTech1:

1. Lol... It is what it is. That's what's written in the Nigeria's criminal act.
Any act or law that is passed by the national assembly in Nigeria has to fall in line with what's dictated by the constitution. This act violates the clause in the constitution about freedom of expression. Not that it matters at the end of the day because Nigeria is a lawless country where the rule books don't mean much.
2. If people of the traditional beliefs consider what Imams & Pastors are doing as publicly insulting to their beliefs and religion, well, they are welcome to go to the court.
You and I know that most people are biased against traditional worshipers. What you say is unlikely to happen as they practically have little power in society.
3. There's a difference between criticizing and insulting.
The two are not mutually exclusive and the line between them is blurred partly due to how different people perceive insult vs criticism. This is just religious intolerance. Insult should not be a crime in a civilized society.
Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by ArewaTech1(m): 1:18pm On Apr 11, 2022
9jakool:

Any act or law that is passed by the national assembly in Nigeria has to fall in line with what's dictated by the constitution. This act violates the clause in the constitution about freedom of expression. Not that it matters at the end of the day because Nigeria is a lawless country where the rule books don't mean much.

You and I know that most people are biased against traditional worshipers. What you say is unlikely to happen as they practically have little power in society.

The two are not mutually exclusive and the line between them is blurred partly due to how different people perceive insult vs criticism. This is just religious intolerance. Insult should not be a crime in a civilized society.
for point 1 & 2, all I can say is Nigeria is broken from the core. it's not my fault or yours. and it's not my fault that the northern politicians are exploiting it.

Finally, 'civilized' is subjective. people shouldn't be insulting other people's religious beliefs in a civilized society.

Let me tell you this, a Muslim hurts more when you insult our holy prophet than when you insult our biological parents.
Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by Sleekfingers: 5:23pm On Apr 11, 2022
Zico5:
Fighting for an Atheist when he supposed to be fighting for the sustainable of this country. You are one of the advocates of this maladministration but u went mute for seven years despite seeing the rot in the polity. But u can find Ur voice to fight for one dejected guy over there. U have lost all the respect being given to u. Deranged man indeed.

Is an atheist not human? Who your useless jesus and terrorist Muhammed help? Religion of slaves .......
Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by Ayatullah(m): 5:24pm On Apr 11, 2022
WOLE SOYINKA IS A WORTHLESS SOUL.

Quite unfortunate that some Nigerians still find time to respect this man who has no respect and recognition for his creator.

It's not therefore surprising that he is the defender and spokesman of his fellow atheist, Mubarak Bala.

Shame on a senseless professor.

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by 9jakool: 11:34pm On Apr 11, 2022
ArewaTech1:

Let me tell you this, a Muslim hurts more when you insult our holy prophet than when you insult our biological parents.
If we start jailing people who cause deep pain by insults, most people would be in prison.

If I remember correctly when the Charlie Hebdo cartoon situation happened, a bunch of mobs In the North went on a rampage of killing over an act in another country thousands of miles away from Nigeria. That violent behaviour stems from the same ideology of intolerance.

If someone insults you, you deal with it by insulting them back or walking away, not jailing them for 14 years or targeting innocent people. That’s clearly a cowardice move and you are suggesting your belief cannot withstand criticisms or insults.
Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by ArewaTech1(m): 4:16am On Apr 12, 2022
9jakool:

If we start jailing people who cause deep pain by insults, most people would be in prison.

If I remember correctly when the Charlie Hebdo cartoon situation happened, a bunch of mobs In the North went on a rampage of killing over an act in another country thousands of miles away from Nigeria. That violent behaviour stems from the same ideology of intolerance.

If someone insults you, you deal with it by insulting them back or walking away, not jailing them for 14 years or targeting innocent people. That’s clearly a cowardice move and you are suggesting your belief cannot withstand criticisms or insults.

Prophet Muhammad {SAW} was insulted, mocked, and ridiculed during his lifetime. but he never responded with violence, he responded with kindness and urged Muslims to do the same.

As I said, time and time again. it's those Muslims with skewed understanding of Islam.
Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by orisa37: 5:09am On Apr 12, 2022
JUST SEE HIS FACE!
DID HE ACTUALLY PASS THROUGH UI?
Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by maiquel: 8:58am On Apr 12, 2022
ArewaTech1:

You are the one that doesn't know what you are saying.

Read my message again... It seems you don't know the meaning of the word Apparently.

You're still shooting yourself in the leg... Must I talk cheesy?
Okay then.

Using the word "Apparently" means it is common place, or it is evident that such crime carries 24 years as punishment.

So I said quote the law for me because I know there's nothing like that. You went on to quote a misdemeanor which carries just 2 years.

So what exactly is your argument?
What don't I understand?

From my very first statement, I said 24 years was too harsh, I have not seen this offence in any rule book with up to 24 years as punishment, but you said "apparently" there is.

Please show me and the entire citizens of nairaland where the said section carrying such punishment is.

Quote me now.
Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by ArewaTech1(m): 10:30am On Apr 12, 2022
maiquel:

You're still shooting yourself in the leg... Must I talk cheesy?
Okay then.

Using the word "Apparently" means it is common place, or it is evident that such crime carries 24 years as punishment.

So I said quote the law for me because I know there's nothing like that. You went on to quote a misdemeanor which carries just 2 years.

So what exactly is your argument?
What don't I understand?

From my very first statement, I said 24 years was too harsh, I have not seen this offence in any rule book with up to 24 years as punishment, but you said "apparently" there is.

Please show me and the entire citizens of nairaland where the said section carrying such punishment is.

Quote me now.
I still stand by my previous comment. you don't understand the meaning of the word apparently.

Which dictionary do you use/trust, so we'll get the definition from it?
Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by maiquel: 3:04pm On Apr 12, 2022
ArewaTech1:

I still stand by my previous comment. you don't understand the meaning of the word apparently.

Which dictionary do you use/trust, so we'll get the definition from it?

Don't box me to a corner... The argument is not the word Apparently, the argument is the fact that you provided the real position of the law as regards the offences of misdemeanor, which is 2 years while arguing that there is a provision for 24 years for the same offence.

I know you write well so I am giving you that leverage I'd often give people who at least have a "school cert"
But trying to twist it, I can't allow that.

As for the word Apparently, below is an attachment of the definition from Merriam Webster.

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by ArewaTech1(m): 5:41pm On Apr 12, 2022
maiquel:

Don't box me to a corner... The argument is not the word Apparently, the argument is the fact that you provided the real position of the law as regards the offences of misdemeanor, which is 2 years while arguing that there is a provision for 24 years for the same offence.

I know you write well so I am giving you that leverage I'd often give people who at least have a "school cert"
But trying to twist it, I can't allow that.

As for the word Apparently, below is an attachment of the definition from Merriam Webster.
Look, I wasn't trying to box you into a corner nor was I trying to twist anything.

According to Collins Dictionary, You use apparently to indicate that the information you are giving is something that you have heard, but you are not certain that it is true.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/apparently

Let's have a little recap. Hopefully, you'll understand what I said...

You wrote...
maiquel:

Even in the rules of court, you won't find 24 years for such crime.

and I said...
ArewaTech1:

Well, apparently there's 24 years in the Kano state laws.

If you read my statement again. This time considering the definition I provided above, I wasn't arguing that, truly, there's a 24 years imprisonment for that offense.

I was just saying, based on what I've heard, there's 24 years prison time for that same crime in Kano State's laws..

I hope I am clear now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2023: Forget Political Party, Rally Round Tinubu – Oluwo To Yoruba Leaders / President Tinubu Didn’t Present Empty Budget Box – Doguwa / U.S. Lawmakers Warn Nigerian Government Against Further Shift Of Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.