Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,992 members, 7,814,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy - Pets (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy (43259 Views)

Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy / Just Bought This New Puppy / Petlanders .... Say Hello To My New Puppy.. Pet Dog... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Nobody: 6:08am On Apr 17, 2022
Dorwadora:
Thank you so much sir... I'll try to be more patient with her. Tho already I made a crib for her.... A duvet and a pillow, she love the pillow alot and I make sure to disinfect the veranda every weekend because she's very picky about where she stay.... I've learnt alot now sir.... Thanks so much.

I'll also like to ask, I've was told to beat her anytime she urinate or poo inside.... Is it a good idea at all.
another best good trick is spinkle small of her urine where you want her to pee....scrub your rugs clean to make sure she didn't catch the smell again....remember her sense of smell is way more higher than humans so try very much to clean it out.
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by NohurryInLife: 6:18am On Apr 17, 2022
Wizpa:
I do not waste time on beeches anymore, I go straight to the point.

I gave her 5k Eventually for all night knacking grin

She fine as fvck and her nyansh big die! cheesy

Didnt post this to brag or anything, posted this so you know that girls dont fvkking care about love or relationship no matter how beautiful she is., observe her and price her well even if she ain't a prostitute. If she likes you, she will fvck you for the right price undecided
Brossssss!
No vex ahbeg...You sure say you dey okay?? Wetin dem dey talk wetin you dey talk?? Omo nawa o

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by ajadematanle: 6:27am On Apr 17, 2022
Please, I need advice on my 2 dogs with habit of eating poo regardless of the quantity and quality of food they are eating. They are a year older. I have beaten them to stupor but hasn’t stop them from the bad habit. It has gotten to a level that they see me after they have eaten the poo, they will start crawling and be too fearful. I’m tired, former German shepherd never ate poo. Very reserved and lovely. He was electrocuted whilst eating electrical cable hidden in a pvc pipe. He like eating anything outside the house.
I
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Blue86(m): 6:30am On Apr 17, 2022
Don't beat her to learn.
It is a puppy
If you can't take care of it, dash it out.

And also make sure you carry her out, of your verandah or room to outside your room in the compound that she may acclimatize to pooping and wee outside

She just loves you, that's why she wants to be with you
You are her mother now.

Is that how you will treat your child.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Goldie16(f): 7:01am On Apr 17, 2022
Dorwadora:
Good evening everyone.

The problem is that my new puppy is been too problematical. I just can't manage her. Recently someone gifted me the puppy(2 weeks old) after someone at my hostel poisoned my 2 cats angry angry angry. I really don't have any idea on how to take care of a dog as I am a cat lover.

She a month now and I've noticed that anytime she wants to urinate, she'll hold the urine till I open my door then she'll run in, sniff around and urinate on my rug. Same thing with her poo. She's too demanding, she always want to be on the bed with me so I lock her out on the veranda whenever I want to sleep in the night but in the midnight, she'll scratch my door endlessly, whining and barking ( Her barking is still faint) till I open the door for her then she'll run inside and urinate. My room is smelling like.....eweeh angry angry angry

My cats were not like that... I made a sand bowl for them to urinate and poo and they co-operated with me. Someone advised me to start beating her for her to learn but I hate beating pets ..... Please I need advice on what to do.

Her picture below.... And I need someone to help me identify her breed. Thanks
She's not potty trained. Do a Google search on how to potty train a puppy
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by vikstandon(m): 7:52am On Apr 17, 2022
Dorwadora:
Good evening everyone.

The problem is that my new puppy is been too problematical. I just can't manage her. Recently someone gifted me the puppy(2 weeks old) after someone at my hostel poisoned my 2 cats angry angry angry. I really don't have any idea on how to take care of a dog as I am a cat lover.

She a month now and I've noticed that anytime she wants to urinate, she'll hold the urine till I open my door then she'll run in, sniff around and urinate on my rug. Same thing with her poo. She's too demanding, she always want to be on the bed with me so I lock her out on the veranda whenever I want to sleep in the night but in the midnight, she'll scratch my door endlessly, whining and barking ( Her barking is still faint) till I open the door for her then she'll run inside and urinate. My room is smelling like.....eweeh angry angry angry

My cats were not like that... I made a sand bowl for them to urinate and poo and they co-operated with me. Someone advised me to start beating her for her to learn but I hate beating pets ..... Please I need advice on what to do.

Not a big deal... is the behavior of puppies.
When she does that, take her to the point of her mess before cleaning up. Put her nose at it and spank her on her buttocks...say don't do it here again.

Then take her to the point you want her to always use and make her nose it...and speak to her hearing 'do it here.' They do hear! Repeat the steps severally.

She might days after do same... You keep repeating the process. She would eventually stop messing up your room.

This is the reason why before a man gets married in my culture an animal is given to him to care for. Children would behave like your puppy someday... would you get tired of them and throw them away?

Many are not matured for parenting...yet they want to marry.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Ashley86400: 8:35am On Apr 17, 2022
Dorwadora:
Someone helped me to check and said she's not a Rarehunter(Ekuke)..... What do I even know sef undecided undecided

Send a picture of her face.
The facial features is very important in identifying the breed.

From the back I would say she looks like a Lhasa Apso. Or a Lhasa mix with another breed.
If she’s a Lhasa Apso or Lhasa mic she’s going to be very hairy before she’s 4 months old.

My take on raising dogs.
She’s still very young, and as a baby she’ll won’t be able to handle holding pee in yet as her bladder is to small.
For every month she is, she’ll add one hour to her bladder retaining as it increases its size.

For the pooping and peeing. She doesn’t seem to know your room is not a bathroom yet.
And she thinks the veranda where you lock her is her room as dogs usually don’t poop or pee where they sleep unless they are extremely pressed and have nowhere else to go.

It’s a lot of work and will take a few months but when you eventually potty train her, it’s very relieving and rewarding.

Here are a few things to do. .
- After eating, within 5 to 15 minutes, take her out to pee. Always take her to the same location (i.e the exact area) you would like her to pee. Allow her to sniff that exact area so she can mark the place as a place for pee and pooping. As she keeps doing that she will start associating that region with pee even if she’s just passing by.

-Allow her some time to stay in your room but remember every 20 minutes, take her out to her ‘location’ to pee. Don’t worry as she grows she’ll be able to hold in her pee for longer times- even for up to hours later.

-Regarding her name, that’s probably the easiest part. It’s called REWARDING SYSTEM FOR DOGS.
Buy some dog treats, or some pieces of fish or meat. Don’t give her anything too sugary so she doesn’t start purging around.
Stand away from her and call her by her name while holding the piece of treat or fish in your hand, instinctively she’ll run to you to eat the fish cause she’ll be able to smell it even if she can’t see it.
Stand elsewhere and repeat the process calling her name and giving her a treat or fish anytime she comes to you.
If she doesn’t come to you, no treats or fish for her. Do this at random times for a whole day and you’ll see that when you call her name, she’ll come to you thinking you have treats. Keep doing this with the treats for like a week and eventually she’ll just come to you when she hears her name.

- Also don’t beat her, don’t let her associate fear with obedience cause that would just make you a bad owner. If she does something you don’t like, tell her a big “NO!” Dogs learn to listen to the tone of your voice so when you give them a stern NO they will know you’re not impressed and since they love to impress their owners, they will stop what they are doing. So get ready to say ‘Daisy No’ constantly anytime she doesn't do what you want. And a lot of ‘Good Girl’ and patting whenever she does something you approve of. She’ll love it.

Cats and Dogs are two different animals. So don’t compare them as the same. Cats are cold and affectionate. Dogs are warm and affectionate.
But a dogs love and loyalty is comparable to none. Rich or Poor, irregardless of your situation, a dog will stay right by your side.

If you have any other questions, you can ask.

5 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Gofwane(m): 10:02am On Apr 17, 2022
Cook and eat it and rest
grin Oboyyehh, exactly what my next door neighbour would have done.
That guy no get joy at all.
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Johel(m): 10:07am On Apr 17, 2022
Dorwadora:
Good evening everyone.

Give me the dog..
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by skedy1(m): 10:47am On Apr 17, 2022
WoundedLamb:

Lmao. grin

I like cats too, but from all indication, I feel you just don't how to raise dogs. You're so in tune with cats that you're attempting to raise a dog as a cat. First, unlike cats, some dog breeds don't like doing thier business on sand and even those that do wouldn't instinctively start doing it in litter-boxes like cats do. It all stems from the natural adaptations of each animal. Cats are small and require less amount of exercise. They can just run around the house and be OK, so doing thier business in a litter-box is fine. On the other hand, dogs need to take a long walk daily. The owner wouldn't be obliged to take the dog out if they were naturally adapted to use litter-boxes like cats. That said, litter-boxes are OK for small breeds of dogs and larger breeds can also be trained to use them provided you don't forget to walk them daily nevertheless. The keyword is "train". Again, pay attention to what the dog likes. Intelligent animals have the brain capacity to have distinct preferences. You might need to replace sand with fine gravel or turf.

You think cats are more intelligent because of an untrained puppy you've had for a few weeks? Lol... While cats have more natural instincts than dogs and even humans (enough to see them through life without formally learning things) they aren't really more intelligent than dogs if you view it in terms of acquired knowledge (where dogs are similar to humans). Cats just don't learn as fast as dogs and can't learn nearly as much also (and as I said, they don't even need to). Dog's learning is also more progressive. Thier superior brain capacity makes them more reliable in the long run. Since you're bent on keeping the dog, you must begin to learn how to love and take care of it's physical and mental needs as a dog. You also need to stop comparing the cute little thing to cats cause it's just not a cat.

Daisy is a nice name. smiley
Great write up...I'm a lover of dogs as well, beautiful creature.

Oy yes, DAISY is such an amazing name
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by rickyboss333: 10:52am On Apr 17, 2022
Well, I don't actually own a pet sha but I think u can try cutting that part of your rug on which she poo and piss on, or better still, dash her the whole carpet, then take it to d spot u wish her to poo and piss. I strongly believe she will follow the carpet because is it's scent. After all shebi d carpet don too smell na grin grin grin
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by elfiddy(m): 11:48am On Apr 17, 2022
Then don't disturb us
Dorwadora:
Haaa!!!..... Please I don't want to cook my baby Daisy o
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Glamouzpeter(f): 11:49am On Apr 17, 2022
Cook and eat it and rest
Hahaha
No be small advice
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Nobody: 12:27pm On Apr 17, 2022
Dorwadora:
Good evening everyone.

You bought a FEMALE puppy ..what do you expect?
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Donvinci(m): 12:48pm On Apr 17, 2022
If that’s the only problem it’s simple you just have to Reorientate the dog, from what you said in your post it seems the dog thinks your room is her toilet that’s why she is always crashing your door when she want to poo or pee… you will need to teach her or try to be taking her to the toilet when you think she wants to poo or pee. Or you spank her a little when she poo or pee in your room for her to know it’s bad
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Preciousppearl(f): 12:51pm On Apr 17, 2022
WoundedLamb:
Lol... I believe those ancient gods called cats are for people who like animals but maybe not well enough to invest in them or just don't have the time to. They're so independent and yet very entertaining. Dogs, on the other hand, are little babies that always require your attention and validation regardless of thier age.

My love for animals would probably not let me see anything wrong with your dog. But that aside, it appears you have a highly trainable one. The fact that it can hold its pee till it locates a convenient location is already a plus. Intelligent animals with a lot of personality are always a handful but with the right handling, could be very rewarding. When it comes to training animals, positive reinforcement never fails. It's a good thing you've learned the dog's pattern/body language. Use that to your advantage. Pay attention to know when it's about to pee, take it outside and stay with it till it does that. Then offer it some treat, praise and play with it. Do this for some time, and you'd be amazed how fast he'd learn.

I have a lot of pets including two different species of parrots, and I can tell you dogs are the easiest to train simply because of thier desire to impress us. But then again, if you realise you just can't handle the puppy, please give to someone who can for the sake of you both. smiley
wow how long have u been with your parrot? What species do u have and how have u been taking care of them.
I am asking because I have lost about 4 parrots and I have no idea why they didn't stay long, the first is the green parrot I woke n saw it dead , 2nd n 3rd was the ash with red tail same way it died... Bought 2 red tails early this year lost one already, the surviving parrot has stayed longer than others, as much as I love this parrot I get scared most times don't want to get too attached to it,I cried when I lost the others. I don't want to wake n find it dead.
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Nobody: 1:34pm On Apr 17, 2022
No it's an Icelandic sheepdog

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Saig: 2:42pm On Apr 17, 2022
Wash her urine and poo away. Make sure she doesn't smell it when she come in. Disinfect that area she uses to urinate and poo. For her do it somewhere outside where she will mark. Once she doesn't perceive anything inside she will look elsewhere
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Aaay: 5:01pm On Apr 17, 2022
Why
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Dorwadora(f): 5:16pm On Apr 17, 2022
Ashley86400:

Send a picture of her face.
The facial features is very important in identifying the breed.

From the back I would say she looks like a Lhasa Apso. Or a Lhasa mix with another breed.
If she’s a Lhasa Apso or Lhasa mic she’s going to be very hairy before she’s 4 months old.

My take on raising dogs.
She’s still very young, and as a baby she’ll won’t be able to handle holding pee in yet as her bladder is to small.
For every month she is, she’ll add one hour to her bladder retaining as it increases its size.

For the pooping and peeing. She doesn’t seem to know your room is not a bathroom yet.
And she thinks the veranda where you lock her is her room as dogs usually don’t poop or pee where they sleep unless they are extremely pressed and have nowhere else to go.

It’s a lot of work and will take a few months but when you eventually potty train her, it’s very relieving and rewarding.

Here are a few things to do. .
- After eating, within 5 to 15 minutes, take her out to pee. Always take her to the same location (i.e the exact area) you would like her to pee. Allow her to sniff that exact area so she can mark the place as a place for pee and pooping. As she keeps doing that she will start associating that region with pee even if she’s just passing by.

-Allow her some time to stay in your room but remember every 20 minutes, take her out to her ‘location’ to pee. Don’t worry as she grows she’ll be able to hold in her pee for longer times- even for up to hours later.

-Regarding her name, that’s probably the easiest part. It’s called REWARDING SYSTEM FOR DOGS.
Buy some dog treats, or some pieces of fish or meat. Don’t give her anything too sugary so she doesn’t start purging around.
Stand away from her and call her by her name while holding the piece of treat or fish in your hand, instinctively she’ll run to you to eat the fish cause she’ll be able to smell it even if she can’t see it.
Stand elsewhere and repeat the process calling her name and giving her a treat or fish anytime she comes to you.
If she doesn’t come to you, no treats or fish for her. Do this at random times for a whole day and you’ll see that when you call her name, she’ll come to you thinking you have treats. Keep doing this with the treats for like a week and eventually she’ll just come to you when she hears her name.

- Also don’t beat her, don’t let her associate fear with obedience cause that would just make you a bad owner. If she does something you don’t like, tell her a big “NO!” Dogs learn to listen to the tone of your voice so when you give them a stern NO they will know you’re not impressed and since they love to impress their owners, they will stop what they are doing. So get ready to say ‘Daisy No’ constantly anytime she doesn't do what you want. And a lot of ‘Good Girl’ and patting whenever she does something you approve of. She’ll love it.

Cats and Dogs are two different animals. So don’t compare them as the same. Cats are cold and affectionate. Dogs are warm and affectionate.
But a dogs love and loyalty is comparable to none. Rich or Poor, irregardless of your situation, a dog will stay right by your side.

If you have any other questions, you can ask.
Thank you sir for your detailed explanation.... I'm trying out some and they are yielding good results. Thank you sir ...

Here are some pictures

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Zolyjagorr(m): 5:17pm On Apr 17, 2022
Anytime she poo's or pee, hold her neck and put her face facing her poo or pee and smack/beat her bumbum or beat her waist, start doing that from now that she's still very young and she will change to holding her poo or pee till she goes outside your room. Trust me I've trained dogs so it has always worked for all dogs
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Ashley86400: 6:59pm On Apr 17, 2022
Dorwadora:
Thank you sir for your detailed explanation.... I'm trying out some and they are yielding good results. Thank you sir ...

Here are some pictures

Your dog is definitely a Lhasa mixed with another breed.
I’m a lady by the way.
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by omohayek: 7:18pm On Apr 17, 2022
Zolyjagorr:
Anytime she poo's or pee, hold her neck and put her face facing her poo or pee and smack/beat her bumbum or beat her waist, start doing that from now that she's still very young and she will change to holding her poo or pee till she goes outside your room. Trust me I've trained dogs so it has always worked for all dogs
Barbaric nonsense! Is that how you train your children as well? Why are so many Nigerians prone to thinking violence is the solution to all problems? Brutality like yours is the perfect way to raise a neurotic animal that loathes and fears its owner.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by patricia611: 10:08am On Apr 19, 2022
okay
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Zolyjagorr(m): 10:10am On Apr 19, 2022
omohayek:

Barbaric nonsense! Is that how you train your children as well? Why are so many Nigerians prone to thinking violence is the solution to all problems? Brutality like yours is the perfect way to raise a neurotic animal that loathes and fears its owner.

Your father there, your children are the dogs you cannot train in life, your a big idiot mumu fowl like u with a chicken heart

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by omohayek: 10:15am On Apr 19, 2022
Zolyjagorr:

Your father there, your children are the dogs you cannot train in life, your a big idiot mumu fowl like u with a chicken heart
Thank you for revealing yourself to be the feral beast I knew you to be. Given your savage nature, it's no wonder that the only thing you know about training other living creatures is to dish out violence. You are far more deserving of being locked away in a cage than any dog, where you can rant and rave and foam at the mouth all day without being able to endanger any passersby.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Zolyjagorr(m): 10:18am On Apr 19, 2022
omohayek:

Thank you for revealing yourself to be the feral beast I knew you to be. Given your savage nature, it's no wonder that the only thing you know about training other living creatures is to dish out violence. You are far more deserving of being locked away in a cage than any dog, where you can rant and rave and foam at the mouth all day without being able to endanger any passersby.

Your a big illitrate I'm just knowing now, I wish I knew I wouldn't have helped you... So dog now that is an animal is now human being that u cannot beat to train?! Haven't you heard of cases were dogs killed Thier owners, it's because of lack of training... Your a big fool idiot olodo, you be the greatest idiot, you might not know today but sooner or later u will know that you are a big goat without sense, because u will realise what I told u on how to train your dog... Your a fool
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by omohayek: 10:21am On Apr 19, 2022
Zolyjagorr:

Your a big illitrate I'm just knowing now, I wish I knew I wouldn't have helped you... So dog now that is an animal is now human being that u cannot beat to train?! Haven't you heard of cases were dogs killed Thier owners, it's because of lack of training... Your a big fool idiot olodo, you be the greatest idiot, you might not know today but sooner or later u will know that you are a big goat without sense, because u will realise what I told u on how to train your dog... Your a fool
LOL, a nitwit who can type out "Your a big illitrate I'm just knowing now" is supposed to be taken seriously? You can't even spell "illiterate" correctly! What a ridiculous cretin. Keep foaming at the mouth like the rabid brute you are, until someone comes along to put you out of your misery.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Zolyjagorr(m): 10:24am On Apr 19, 2022
omohayek:

LOL, a nitwit who can type out "Your a big illitrate I'm just knowing now" is supposed to be taken seriously? You can't even spell "illiterate" correctly! What a ridiculous cretin. Keep foaming at the mouth like the rabid brute you are, until someone comes along to put you out of your misery.

For Dog o! How to train your dog! I advised u and u insulted my children... Your children go they fry corn and plantain for road they sell just so they could feed. You will die an untimely death I curse you and your generations... You will have no peace in life I curse you! What ever you find in life may you not and never find it.. I curse you so more it be....
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by omohayek: 10:27am On Apr 19, 2022
Zolyjagorr:

For Dog o! How to train your dog! I advised u and u insulted my children... Your children go they fry corn and plantain for road they sell just so they could feed. You will die an untimely death I curse you and your generations... You will have no peace in life I curse you! What ever you find in life may you not and never find it.. I curse you so more it be....
Like I said, you're nothing but a rabid animal, incapable of even the most elementary reading comprehension. Keep foaming away at the mouth but stay inside your cage, Bingo!

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Zolyjagorr(m): 10:29am On Apr 19, 2022
omohayek:

Like I said, you're nothing but a rabid animal, incapable of even the most elementary reading comprehension. Keep foaming away at the mouth but stay inside your cage, Bingo!

You will die soon or sooner because I've curse you, so in your next life you will learn how to respect people...
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by omohayek: 1:13pm On Apr 19, 2022
Zolyjagorr:

You will die soon or sooner because I've curse you, so in your next life you will learn how to respect people...
Yawn. More fetid drivel slobbering from the rancid jaws of a rabid beast.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

9 Unique Dog Breeds U May Never Come Across / Dog Eats Lady's Phd Certificate (Photos) / My Dog Is Reacting To Something. HELP!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.