Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? (34015 Views)

Twitter DMs To Have End To End Encryption - Elon Musk / Encrypted Messages And Files On Gionee M6 Mirror / How To Retract Whatsapp Messages At Anytime Even After A Week! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by ivolt: 6:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
FireUpNow:
well if that is what encryption means but I want to believe that no message sent on the internet be it email or Whatsapp or Facebook is 100%. There is every degrees of error in life though it could be infinisimal (negligeable)

It is not a question of error but strength.
Modern encryption are not unbreakable but it will take a government
with unlimited budget many centuries before breaching them with our current advance
in computer science. It is that strong.

I can assure you that if someone has discovered a means of breaking them,
they won't waste their time leaking meaningless WhatsApp chats.
They would either be on their way to becoming a billionaire or racking up multiple awards for
mathematical and computing genius.

1 Like

Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by baralatie(m): 6:21pm On Apr 18, 2022
Ebuka78:
For some of us that don't understand what end to end means.

Man A wants to text Man B

Look at what happens:

Man A: hello

Middle person: * shift+alter**&[]!end:

Man B ( receives the message as hello)

Then those who tries to see their messages would see it as the middle person.
But the middle man can blah blah blah
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by FireUpNow(m): 6:23pm On Apr 18, 2022
ivolt:

with unlimited budget many centuries before breaching them with our current advance

They would either be on their way to becoming a billionaire or racking up multiple awards for

QED
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eaglesence: 6:24pm On Apr 18, 2022
Destined2lead:
I have been really thinking about this.

How do private messages leak on WhatsApp even though it's encrypted.

Some people claim the encryption has loop holes.

What do you think?.

Yes o. Only God knows how messages leak on WhatsApp. I am a victim of this "demonic" situation
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eaglesence: 6:25pm On Apr 18, 2022
flames007:
The thing is: end to end encryption means that message sent from your end gets encrypted as you hit the send button, then gets decrypted when it enters the other person's inbox. Hence, whatsapp can't know what you send. It's practically impossible to intercept a message in transit to view it's content - not even whatsapp can do that, so if there's a leak, it's from one of the ends.

I agree because mine has been hacked and I have been unable to stop it
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by LoudlyMouthed: 6:27pm On Apr 18, 2022
emmy512:
though whatsapp is part of meta, it is end-end encrypted.
story for the gods
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by BuddhaPalm(m): 6:28pm On Apr 18, 2022
flames007:
The thing is: end to end encryption means that message sent from your end gets encrypted as you hit the send button, then gets decrypted when it enters the other person's inbox. Hence, whatsapp can't know what you send. It's practically impossible to intercept a message in transit to view it's content - not even whatsapp can do that, so if there's a leak, it's from one of the ends.

Say hello to the NSA, etc who do not need even need to decrypt it.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eaglesence: 6:28pm On Apr 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Do you know how encryption works? Do you know that all encryption algorithms are publicly available? That is everyone knows how they work? The strength of encryption is not that the encryption algorithm is hidden. It's that it's public. Even banks use encryption tools that are available to the public. Whatsapp can use whatever algorithm. But your phone determines what key to use for the encryption. Whatsapp even with detailed knowledge of the encryption algorithm cannot access the content because they don't know the key

What the way out cos i need these peeping Tom's to go to hell
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Do you know how encryption works? Do you know that all encryption algorithms are publicly available? That is everyone knows how they work? The strength of encryption is not that the encryption algorithm is hidden. It's that it's public. Even banks use encryption tools that are available to the public. Whatsapp can use whatever algorithm. But your phone determines what key to use for the encryption. Whatsapp even with detailed knowledge of the encryption algorithm cannot access the content because they don't know the key

Alaye stop talking rubbish.

Let a terrorist planning happen through WhatsApp, then you will know if there is truely encryption.

There is nothing like whatsapp encryption, they read all your messages. So it can be leaked if intercepted or the government wants your information
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by pquaver(m): 6:31pm On Apr 18, 2022
flames007:

How do hacker hack banks? Are banks not using encryption r?

1 Like

Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by BuddhaPalm(m): 6:31pm On Apr 18, 2022
ivolt:

The big boys have direct access to WhatsApp servers ha, and don't need to stress about decryption...

Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 18, 2022
flames007:

There is nothing like encryption in whatapp, it is just a marketing gimmick.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eaglesence: 6:32pm On Apr 18, 2022
BlaqFaze:
True but it needs a key to be decrypted and only one person has that key... that's the receiver in the case of messages. No other person/third party can have access to that message except the sender/receiver decides to leak it.

This is one of the selling points of Telegram... their encryption is so good that the Russian government can't hack it and Putin banned the owner from Russia (the owner of Telegram is Russian).

Puti bann a citizen of Russia!? Hia! Ok let's leave that for now. How do i stop hackers on my whatsapp / phone please, e joor, biko epp.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by baralatie(m): 6:32pm On Apr 18, 2022
Eaglesence:

What the way out cos i need these peeping Tom's to go to hell
Em!

Em!

I hope it is not what I am thinking
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Apr 18, 2022
pquaver:

How do hacker hack banks? Are banks not using encryption r?

You dey mind the guy.

Banks has one of the highest network security in place but Hushpuppi and his gang hacked them.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eaglesence: 6:34pm On Apr 18, 2022
Rebuke:
Gb watsap can be easily compromised.

Really!!? Gossh. I have to stop using it then. Kai and I be like that application oo but my phone no be my own again. Hackers don finis me
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by ivolt: 6:35pm On Apr 18, 2022
BuddhaPalm:

The big boys have direct access to WhatsApp servers ha, and don't need to stress about decryption...
The discussion here is WhatsApp encryption and I doubt the NSA is interested in leaking the OP's
personal fight with his girlfriend if they have a backdoor.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eaglesence: 6:35pm On Apr 18, 2022
BotherMleeper:

Ever heard of screenshots?

Encryption means no one can hack the server and read the messages because they're encrypted.

That security does not extend to your phone's security, or the other party's.

I dont agree
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Govocrete: 6:35pm On Apr 18, 2022
flames007:

I disagree with the last paragraph, encrypted or not WhatsApp have preview to messages being send. This is the main reason WhatsApp block users who use the platform to market their products or services.

If they don’t have access to the so-called encrypted message, how would they be able to send you a copy of the message, phone type and model etc. before blocking someone on the platform?
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Apr 18, 2022
Kayharry:
If WhatsApp is not seeing the message then how do they ban people from sending false message.

grin grin grin
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by BotherMleeper(m): 6:37pm On Apr 18, 2022
Eaglesence:

I dont agree

Your right.

But unless you can provide proof of anyone hacking the WhatsApp server or intercepting and decrypting packets from the air, your position is untenable.

All leaks so far have been nothing but screenshots.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Sltp: 6:37pm On Apr 18, 2022
If you're sure it's not from either ends, then it must be from Google drive. Although this is difficult to access without having access to the phone number, but there must be a way to manipulate the data, since backed up messages are encrypted
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by emmy512: 6:38pm On Apr 18, 2022
blowjohn:

Which meta? Ebute meta or ?
meta4
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eaglesence: 6:39pm On Apr 18, 2022
Springboot:
Show me one case of a leaked what'sapp msg and I'll give to u 50k instantly, please I'm not talking of a case where one party leaked the others msg.

First, that 50k na wetin e mean cos them no dey know una finish o? 50kobo or #50,000? Confirm this then we can talk.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by airsaylongcome: 6:40pm On Apr 18, 2022
Okonandmary:

Alaye stop talking rubbish.

Let a terrorist planning happen through WhatsApp, then you will know if there is truely encryption.

There is nothing like whatsapp encryption, they read all your messages. So it can be leaked if intercepted or the government wants your information

Lol! It's laughable when ignoramuses talk a lot of nonsense from their anus. I have better things to do than engage a buffoon. You have been noticied. Now run along
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 18, 2022
end to end encryption makes it so that your whatsapp message can not leak.

Your chats are not stored on WhatsApp server, and if it's stored , it's in a scrambled form and can't be decrypted.- you can read more about this, WhatsApp have some policies around this.

Your WhatsApp messages can only be 'leaked' only by you or the receiver of the chats or if someone is spying on you... then comes Pegasus , a spyware developed by NSO group, an Israeli technology firm.

It's used by government to prevent and investigate crime, terrorism activities hiding under the umbrella of end to end encryption.

I don't know how it works but it has been found to read WhatsApp chats and send it to the person tracking you.

Unless you are wanted by Pentagon.. you don't need to worry..

ref:
https://www.whatsapp.com/security/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2021/07/24/whatsapp-pegasus-spyware/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/28/magazine/nso-group-israel-spyware.html
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eaglesence: 6:42pm On Apr 18, 2022
baralatie:

Calmmdown nau
I have a 50000 to cash
undecided

You bera ask him if he means 50kobo or #50, 000 i yaf ask and waiting for his answer
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by LoudlyMouthed: 6:43pm On Apr 18, 2022
The Company itself owns the algorithm. Ever watched "Ron's gone Wrong", you'd understand better. The company uses whatever s needed to achieve it's business interest - security.. money, staff, growth, strength.

They can pull the plug to see what's going on with user xyz in location abc at time 0:00hrs as deep as his/her camera, photos..

Court cases held up against Facebook after the Trump election of numerous "Unknown User Data" being sold out to third party companies which aided the election - as claimed by ex-staffs who came openly to admit they were part of "... projects"

Meaning, they don't need to tell you what's going out - to the third party companies. Esp when it concerns crucial national security matter.

At the end, they admitted something was sold out. But never said what the something really was.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by emmy512: 6:43pm On Apr 18, 2022
ivolt:

one bottle of beer dia for you.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by airsaylongcome: 6:44pm On Apr 18, 2022
Okonandmary:

You dey mind the guy.

Banks has one of the highest network security in place but Hushpuppi and his gang hacked them.

Did they hack the wire? Or did they use social engineering to perform their hack? The weakest point in any security system is the human interface. I give you and Hushpuppi 100 years with an encryption algorithm. I will encrypt the info and keep the encryption key. Deploy all the resources in your arsenal to brute force the key. 100 years. Tell me the content of the encryption message.

1 Like

Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eaglesence: 6:46pm On Apr 18, 2022
BotherMleeper:

Your right.

But unless you can provide proof of anyone hacking the WhatsApp server or intercepting and decrypting packets from the air, your position is untenable.

All leaks so far have been nothing but screenshots.

I cant type. i will have to speak to explain. Therein is my proof of hacking

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

TECNO Unveils Spark 9 Pro Sport Edition, Designed By Bmw's Designworks / He Scammed Her Of 70k And Still Wants To Sleep With Her / NIN: Large Crowds Gather At NIMC Offices In Lagos, Flout COVID-19 Protocol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.