Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,818 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? (34017 Views)

Twitter DMs To Have End To End Encryption - Elon Musk / Encrypted Messages And Files On Gionee M6 Mirror / How To Retract Whatsapp Messages At Anytime Even After A Week! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by emmy512: 6:46pm On Apr 18, 2022
Eaglesence:

Yes o. Only God knows how messages leak on WhatsApp. I am a victim of this "demonic" situation
tell us how it happened. What data was leaked, who leaked it and why they did so we can analyse the claims further
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by airsaylongcome: 6:47pm On Apr 18, 2022
ivolt:

It is not a question of error but strength.
Modern encryption are not unbreakable but it will take a government
with unlimited budget many centuries before breaching them with our current advance
in computer science. It is that strong.

I can assure you that if someone has discovered a means of breaking them,
they won't waste their time leaking meaningless WhatsApp chats.
They would either be on their way to becoming a billionaire or racking up multiple awards for
mathematical and computing genius.

Bow down to someone who understands how security and encryption works! You understand the maths and the economics of it. It's not about building an unbreakable algorithm. It's about building one that will cost the attacker a lot of money to breach in return for minimal gain. Basically getting someone to spend $1bn to steal something worth $100

3 Likes

Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eaglesence: 6:47pm On Apr 18, 2022
emmy512:
tell us how it happened. What data was leaked, who leaked it and why they did so we can analyse the claims further

Too long an explanation i can only send a voice note which is impossible here undecided
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by airsaylongcome: 6:49pm On Apr 18, 2022
Eaglesence:

Yes o. Only God knows how messages leak on WhatsApp. I am a victim of this "demonic" situation

Your phone was compromised. Probably with a keylogger or some other hack tool. I will hazard a guess that you are running an android and click on just about any link you come across. Probably also running GBWhatsapp. Might be wrong on the last one

2 Likes

Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eaglesence: 6:53pm On Apr 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Your phone was compromised. Probably with a keylogger or some other hack tool. I will hazard a guess that you are running an android and click on just about any link you come across. Probably also running GBWhatsapp. Might be wrong on the last one

You are so right! Please bro what do i do. Help me get rid of em
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Apr 18, 2022
Whatsapp messages are end to end encrypted dosen't mean that they can't be intercepted. Intercepting an encrypted whatsapp message in it's encrypted form with the intention of decrypting it without the main tool (the private key) which only the phone user can have access to is where the main problem lies as it could take years to decrypt. No whatsapp leaks has ever been done by decryption using the private key,it's either from the sender or the reciever that's why they are all screenshots.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Powersurge: 7:07pm On Apr 18, 2022
Destined2lead:
I have been really thinking about this.

How do private messages leak on WhatsApp even though it's encrypted.

Some people claim the encryption has loop holes.

What do you think?.

WhatsApp is encrypted bro.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by phemmyfour: 7:08pm On Apr 18, 2022
Destined2lead:

What do you think?.
it's leaked from either the sender or the receiver
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by abbey621(m): 7:12pm On Apr 18, 2022
Data in transit can be encrypted, so can data at rest but the problem you have is not encryption(logical access) but that of confidentiality(physical access). Your private whatsapp chats can only be decrypted using your own keys, this simply means your device, password etc., if your password or device becomes compromised either via your own carelessness or ignorance then encryption is basically useless.

Like others have said, you've been hacked! Your solution is simple, know the devices you've used to check your email and whatsapp, reset all those devices back to factory settings making sure everything is wiped clean. Change your password including that of all your emails, enable 2 step authentication for your emails and whatsapp and never allow anyone access to install apps on your devices again.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Obascoetubi: 7:16pm On Apr 18, 2022
Springboot:
Show me one case of a leaked what'sapp msg and I'll give to u 50k instantly, please I'm not talking of a case where one party leaked the others msg.
that of aba kyari vs hushpupi
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 18, 2022
LoudlyMouthed:

Meta owns Fbk, Insta.. WhatsApp

Specific keywords are built in + regularly added into the "system" you may not be aware of until you see a drone over your apartment grin

URLs that's "good for business" are also another priority

"Personalized Ads" based on your chat history, clicks, impressions, webpg visits.. are not jokes too cos, Ads agencies pay a lot to Meta for such "encrypted" data grin

You get the point. There are always keyword filters and we know what this means. Telegram ain’t so safe either.

Hence most people pay for their own encrypted communication modalities. Even that ain’t 100% safe cos FBI and co can still eve drop.

Lobatan?

1 Like

Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by BlaqFaze: 7:17pm On Apr 18, 2022
Eaglesence:

Puti bann a citizen of Russia!? Hia! Ok let's leave that for now. How do i stop hackers on my whatsapp / phone please, e joor, biko epp.
Stop clicking on phishing links e.g When someone shares a WhatsApp message that "FG is distributing laptops to student" or "MTN/Glo/Airtel are giving 50gb to their customers"(this one is rampant)... don't click on those links
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Springboot: 7:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
Obascoetubi:
that of aba kyari vs hushpupi

That from the phone seized from hushpupi

1 Like

Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Techguy96(m): 7:37pm On Apr 18, 2022
FireUpNow:
Always bear in mind that every computer programe has a bug which means they are not 100% secured that is why hackers can always gain access through the bugs found in the programs
That's not the case with WhatsApp, the message are being leak from end users (senders or receivers), not from the server.

Even if u were able to hack the server, the information you would get will be encrypted, u still have to go through the stress of decrypting it yourself.

Imagine adding a salt variable to the initial message before encryption, when u manage to decrypt the message, u still won't understand the message.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by brightalo1010: 7:39pm On Apr 18, 2022
FireUpNow:
Always bear in mind that every computer programe has a bug which means they are not 100% secured that is why hackers can always gain access through the bugs found in the programs

Keep quiet abeg, go and read what encrypted means before you start this your jargon
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by brightalo1010: 7:45pm On Apr 18, 2022
pansophist:

There is a loophole though.

If you backup your whatsapp message, then it has to be decrypted before backing up, and then whatsapp can view your messages, or even a good hacker. So never back up messages.

You're ignorance of what you're saying. Typical Nigerian saying whatever they believe is true even when they have no facts about it.

Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by ivolt: 7:50pm On Apr 18, 2022
Eaglesence:

Your boyfriend or friend leaked it.
Quite simple.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by chubinwa(m): 8:14pm On Apr 18, 2022
flames007:
The thing is: end to end encryption means that message sent from your end gets encrypted as you hit the send button, then gets decrypted when it enters the other person's inbox. Hence, whatsapp can't know what you send. It's practically impossible to intercept a message in transit to view it's content - not even whatsapp can do that, so if there's a leak, it's from one of the ends.
Exactly my point
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by musicwriter(m): 8:23pm On Apr 18, 2022
Destined2lead:

What do you think?.

I've tested the so called WhatsApp encryption and I can tell you confidently that there's no such thing as encryption is reality.

When the CIA, MI16, French secret service and their African slave agents began monitoring me in Cotonou, Benin republic because I was writing a book that white people didn't like, I deliberately seized the opportunity to set them up using WhatsApp to see whether WhatsApp is really encrypted but at the end it was obvious they were reading my messages. I've done the same experiment in Nigeria and the outcome was the same. As long as they know your phone number or device IMEI number or WIFI signal name or even your email address, they'll read your WhatsApp messages.

I blogged about the experience. See how the CIA and MI16 lure innocent people to commit terrorism

Note: I don't want to leave the impression that every Dick, Tom and Harry can unencrypt WhatsApp to read your messages. If something is encrypted (whether WhatsApp or something else) only highly specialized people like the CIA can unlock it. So, don't be afraid to use WhatsApp.

1 Like

Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Onyenna(m): 8:27pm On Apr 18, 2022
BlaqFaze:
This means Bitcoin can be hacked, in the sense that someone can send 1 BTC to multiple accounts undecided

The only way WhatsApp and Telegram messages leak is when someone from one of the ends decides to leak it

Gbam!!
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Dammysmart: 8:33pm On Apr 18, 2022
Eaglesence:

send a pm. Your acct most probably linked

1 Like

Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by MrCEO69(m): 8:40pm On Apr 18, 2022
Deicide:
It has nothing to do with phishing. You people would just be throwing random words up and down.

Oga wey sabi,,, u neglected the one he got correct why demoralize the guy to boost your own ego
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Poleski: 8:44pm On Apr 18, 2022
Destined2lead:

What do you think?.

It doesn't leak. Anyone who has full access to your phone can access your WhatsApp without any difficulty.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Abusadiqworld: 8:45pm On Apr 18, 2022
flames007:
The thing is: end to end encryption means that message sent from your end gets encrypted as you hit the send button, then gets decrypted when it enters the other person's inbox. Hence, whatsapp can't know what you send. It's practically impossible to intercept a message in transit to view it's content - not even whatsapp can do that, so if there's a leak, it's from one of the ends.
You ave said it all.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eaglesence: 8:55pm On Apr 18, 2022
ivolt:

Your boyfriend or friend leaked it.
Quite simple.

My brother's girlfriend or one of his staff both IT gurus
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eaglesence: 8:57pm On Apr 18, 2022
BlaqFaze:
Stop clicking on phishing links e.g When someone shares a WhatsApp message that "FG is distributing laptops to student" or "MTN/Glo/Airtel are giving 50gb to their customers"(this one is rampant)... don't click on those links

Humm true i received some of such. How do i get rid of hackers who are already on my phone please?
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by flames007(m): 9:02pm On Apr 18, 2022
Xandelle:

It's not impossible to intercept data in transit. It's done and regularly. Which is the reason why https was born.

Https will not prevent an attacker from intercepting data, but he will only get the encrypted version, as all data is transmitted as plain text.

That encrypted data can only be decrypted if he has access to the encrypting technology and the key.

Among other names, this kind of attacks are known as

Man in the middle attack
Package spoofing
Etc

So please rewrite your submission. You're on first page and a lot of people are going to be misled. Thanks.
what i mean is it's impossible to intercept and read an end-to-end encrypted message. Thanks for your input though.
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Jaelluiz: 9:03pm On Apr 18, 2022
There is no algorithm that cannot be broken theoretically. The strength of encryption lies in the strength of the keys in use. If a receiver has the private key, the message will be decrypted quickly and easily. If a rogue receiver intercepts the message and does not have the matching private key to decrypt, he would have to try all possible permutations(Guesses) for the private key which will decrypt the message. This is where it gets quickly boring. For algorithms like AES 256, it would take few billion years to try all possible combinations of keys to decrypt using present technologies. Maybe a few million years using quantum computing. Bottom line is WhatsApp message leaks usually happen from irresponsible handling of data or device by the sender or receiver.

**I do not know what algorithm WhatsApp uses**
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by raphy(m): 9:06pm On Apr 18, 2022
What is the dragging all about.

If you send someone message and don't want a third party to knw about it they can just screen shot it and send it that is how is licking

So I don settled this Matter abi
Oya posted giv me chill heneken...with pepper soup
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by BlaqFaze: 9:07pm On Apr 18, 2022
Eaglesence:

Humm true i received some of such. How do i get rid of hackers who are already on my phone please?
If it's a serious case, your best bet is to factory reset your phone and creating new accounts: email, WhatsApp, etc
Re: If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak? by Eppking(m): 9:08pm On Apr 18, 2022
Hello Sir, Telegram messages are not encrypted on group chat as of today. That is one major disadvantage using Telegram for serious business.

A lot of yahoo boys already know this from inception and that is the reason Telegram is heaven to them.

Group messages on Telegram are usually transmitted as plain text over the network and can be read without stress.

Whatsap group messages are encrypted just like we had BBM in those days.

Whatsap messages in the days of BBM were not encrypted. WhatsApp had to meet that criteria before they were able to match up and eventually relegated BBM.

I hope this is useful to someone out there.

BlaqFaze:
This means Bitcoin can be hacked, in the sense that someone can send 1 BTC to multiple accounts undecided

The only way WhatsApp and Telegram messages leak is when someone from one of the ends decides to leak it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

TECNO Unveils Spark 9 Pro Sport Edition, Designed By Bmw's Designworks / He Scammed Her Of 70k And Still Wants To Sleep With Her / NIN: Large Crowds Gather At NIMC Offices In Lagos, Flout COVID-19 Protocol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.