Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,414 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots (8152 Views)

PDP Mocks Buhari & NASS With Cartoons (photos) / Gunfire, Blasts Hit Maiduguri: Boko-Haram VS JTF, 16 killed / Serious Riots In Wuse, Abuja & Mararaba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by WesleyanA(f): 8:05pm On Mar 30, 2006
Fimmy:

[i][/i] this wolrd is a small one a place of trouble and passion.i do wonder why people find it hard to believe in faith,THE HOLY PROPHET MOHAMMED (S.A.W) IS THE BEST OF MANKIND.I find it hard to beleive to people are making the best of mankind an object of humilation.[[/b]b]Although im really sorry for those that lost there family but i will like to make one thing clear IM NEVER N WILL NEVER BE SORRY FOR WHAT THAT HAPPEN INFACT THE MUSLIMS SHOULD HAVE DONE MORE THAN THAT.CALL WHAT WHAT YOU LIKE BUT,
GL where are u from?

Fimmy, I agree with every comment in your post except your opinion that "muslims should have done more than that."
Those cartoon images and the remarks of Flemming Rose were humiliating, condescending and indirectly racist to be exact.
I think that those muslims who boycotted Danish goods and protested peacefully should be applauded. Those other extreme muslims who think murdering and destroying is the best way to retaliate should be ashamed of themselves.
One of the cartoons showed prophet Muhammad with a bomb in his turban. Why do stuff to encourage these wrong stereotypes.
Freedom of speech is no excuse for offending a religion or culture
I personally think Islam is a religion of peace and most muslims are indeed non-violent but there are the extreme muslim radicals and those cartoonists who are wrecking the image.
I see your a faithful muslim and are affended by the action of the jyllands-Posten in Denmark but I really don't see what Nigerian Christians have to do with it. undecided
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by anton(m): 11:52am On Apr 18, 2006
Good point, WesleyanA.

I also want to point out again, that nowhere else did the "protestors", attack their own people. There where maybe a couple of incidents where the police had to step in to protect property and controll the crowd and whatnot, but in the overwhelming majority of the reactions, the anger was rightly and justifiablly direct to danish interest. (And I applad the resolve of the arabs in the region who made sure to talk with their dollars. Several muslim companies moved in to snatch the market share and offer similar products. Very good move!)

Did any muslims in nigeria boycott Danish goods and services?

That whole killing black people over actions committed by white people seems frikkin crazy to me. I expect it to happen in the slums of amerikkka, and understand why, but it just bewildered me to see a reaction like that in Nigeria, even with all that I have read and learned in this forum.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Idekeson(m): 1:37pm On Apr 18, 2006
Anyone waiting for our Islamic clerics to rein in these fundamentalists up-north is in for a rude awakening. Thank God, in the typically Nigerian way, we've found the antidote to the senseless killings. The answer is eyes for an eye. Look how quickly the recent killings stopped when the easterners got into the fray. Sad innocent folks suffer, but the same group of people cannot fold their arms and lament each time. Until we come up with a better solution as a nation, we just stick to the option that works.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Mariory(m): 10:09am On Apr 19, 2006
Idekeson:

Anyone waiting for our Islamic clerics to rein in these fundamentalists up-north is in for a rude awakening. Thank God, in the typically Nigerian way, we've found the antidote to the senseless killings. The answer is eyes for an eye. Look how quickly the recent killings stopped when the easterners got into the fray. Sad innocent folks suffer, but the same group of people cannot fold their arms and lament each time. Until we come up with a better solution as a nation, we just stick to the option that works.

Actually the killing stopped in both cases because the army was called out.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Idekeson(m): 6:42pm On Apr 19, 2006
Mariory:

Actually the killing stopped in both cases because the army was called out.

The fear of the retaliation escalating prompted the government to call out the troops quicker than usual.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by WesleyanA(f): 3:29am On Apr 20, 2006
anton:

Good point, WesleyanA.

I also want to point out again, that nowhere else did the "protestors", attack their own people. There where maybe a couple of incidents where the police had to step in to protect property and controll the crowd and whatnot, but in the overwhelming majority of the reactions, the anger was rightly and justifiablly direct to danish interest. (And I applad the resolve of the arabs in the region who made sure to talk with their dollars. Several muslim companies moved in to snatch the market share and offer similar products. Very good move!)

Did any muslims in nigeria boycott Danish goods and services?

That whole killing black people over actions committed by white people seems frikkin crazy to me. I expect it to happen in the slums of amerikkka, and understand why, but it just bewildered me to see a reaction like that in Nigeria, even with all that I have read and learned in this forum.

Anton  cheesy
Actually, the killings in Nigeria have little to do with the actual controversy. There have always been an internal tension between christians and muslims in Nigeria that the cartoons were just an excuse.
It wouldn't happen in amerikkka   tongue because muslims are a minority religion plus they're mainly non-violent I believe. Even if it happened, it would only bring more hate and prejudice to the US muslim population in the face of the Sept. 11 attack and the war in Iraq. I wish people didn't hate muslims so much and I wish those etremists weren't blemishing the religion so bad.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by DivineOke(f): 7:24am On Apr 20, 2006
Though people see the cartoon as nothing, the muslims reacted the way they did because of their love, respect and dedication for the Holy prophet.

@ cushman
Ooh, so you support d reaction of the muslims!! :- how sad. I hope u were not part of them o!! Seems like the human life means nothing to you guyz. Killin a human being is just like slaying a cow!! angrycry cryI think everybody should really run 4 cover.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by WesleyanA(f): 12:50am On Apr 21, 2006
DivineOke:

Though people see the cartoon as nothing, the muslims reacted the way they did because of their love, respect and dedication for the Holy prophet.

@ cushman
Ooh, so you support d reaction of the muslims!! :- how sad. I hope u were not part of them o!! Seems like the human life means nothing to you guys. Killin a human being is just like slaying a cow!! angrycry cryI think everybody should really run 4 cover.

@ Divine Oke, Cushman's statement in your post didn't state a position of support for muslim reactions.
It stated why the muslims reacted that way (because of their love for Muhammad).
I don't know why you're jumping into conclusions, and. . . 
killing a human being is in fact different from slaying a cow (not that i would like to see a cow being slayed in my presence).

"[many] Muslims love the Prophet more than their families"
                          -- Dr Yunes Teinaz, London Mosque and Islamic Cultural Centre.
so now tell me, you expected them to sit in their houses and laugh along at the humiliating cartoons?
I didn't support the violent reactions but I support the peaceful protests like I mentioned before.[
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by ono(m): 5:50pm On Apr 21, 2006
Well, Wes, the protests were far from being peaceful in Nigeria. It took a catastrophic dimensions entirely, and I believe there was more to the Cartoon protests in the Nigerian case. It's more like ethnic cleansing, sort of.

Anyways, it's good you're back. And what led you in to the Politics section of Nairaland? No offence this time, unlike the underage thing at the romance section, remember?
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by DivineOke(f): 9:49pm On Apr 21, 2006
@ WesleyanA

Yes, his statement tells us why Muslims in Nigeria had to go on a killing spree because of a cartoon that was not even published in Nigeria n u call dat peaceful!!
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by WesleyanA(f): 12:45am On Apr 22, 2006
ono:

Well, Wes, the protests were far from being peaceful in Nigeria. It took a catastrophic dimensions entirely[b], and I believe there was more to the Cartoon protests in the Nigerian case. It's more like ethnic cleansing, sort of.[/b]

Anyways, it's good you're back. And what led you in to the Politics section of Nairaland? No offence this time, unlike the underage thing at the romance section, remember?

Yes! It's funny how many muslims in Nigeria used the cartoons to justify violence that's a result of something totally different (ethnic, religious tension).

I was talking about the muslim boycott of danish goods and other peaceful ways non-violent Muslims in Europe protested (stuff like that don't happen in Nigeria  undecided)

I've always been in the Politics section  tongue I'm everywhere literally. Howl else do you think i get all my posts?
I'm never in the computer/tech blah blah. . . sections though.

and yes I remember that "underage" arguement. good times  cheesy

DivineOke:

@ WesleyanA

Yes, his statement tells us why Muslims in Nigeria had to go on a killing spree because of a cartoon that was not even published in Nigeria n u call that peaceful!!

I never said it was peaceful. I said there were some peaceful protests abroad and I wished Nigeria did the same instead of resorting to violence.

I still don't see where his statement gives his position. undecided He didn't say if he supported the killings or not he just gave his opinion as to why the killings took place. so why attack him?
In my opinion, the cartoons actually had little to do with the killlings.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by ono(m): 3:44pm On Apr 22, 2006
You sound like you're not a Nigerian. Well, if you're not, no big deal, but if you are, I suggest you buckle up and get ready to help free your fatherland from criminal elements everywhere.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by WesleyanA(f): 10:06pm On Apr 23, 2006
ono:

You sound like you're not a Nigerian. Well, if you're not, no big deal, but if you are, I suggest you buckle up and get ready to help free your fatherland from criminal elements everywhere.

How do I sound like i'm not Nigerian? lipsrsealed
I'm yoruba.

Maybe you should create a thread on "how to free Nigeria from criminal elements." I'm sure it'll get a lot of replies. So many people with different ideas, just how to make those ideas work. I'm sure you have some too and so do I. cheesy
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by ono(m): 8:10am On Apr 24, 2006
You sound like omo americana.

It's good to know you're yoruba, though. Does that make your dad a yoruba or your mum instead or both?
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by WesleyanA(f): 5:06am On Apr 26, 2006
Actually both of my parents are Yoruba (I am too).
What are you? Edo?
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by ono(m): 8:07am On Apr 26, 2006
I speak your language (Yoruba) fluently. In fact I had a distinction in Yoruba Language at my O 'levels, and I grew up in your cities - Ibadan, Lagos and Abeokuta and Ijebu-Ode.

But I am a core Niger Delta indigene. I'm from Delta State. I'm Isoko by tribe. Are you OK with that?

Now, we can chat on YIM if you don't mind. I see you're offline all the time I'm on. We'll have to find a way round that, cause I'll really like to chat with you. Cheers.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by WesleyanA(f): 5:21am On May 02, 2006
cool.

only I don't use YIM (I got it once but then I never used it and now the account is deleted I think)
I use AIM.

Buy I'll try getting/downloading? a new YIM account.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by ono(m): 11:19am On May 02, 2006
WesleyanA:

But I'll try getting/downloading? a new YIM account.

No probs. I like YIM - More than the others.They(I mean the others) are good too, no doubt.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by anton(m): 6:52pm On Jun 21, 2006
WesleyanA:

Anton cheesy
Actually, the killings in Nigeria have little to do with the actual controversy. There have always been an internal tension between christians and muslims in Nigeria that the cartoons were just an excuse.
It wouldn't happen in amerikkka tongue because muslims are a minority religion plus they're mainly non-violent I believe. Even if it happened, it would only bring more hate and prejudice to the US muslim population in the face of the Sept. 11 attack and the war in Iraq. I wish people didn't hate muslims so much and I wish those etremists weren't blemishing the religion so bad.

But it does happen in amerikkka every day. Not religious, more economic. Mostly unemployed young men. Just looking for an excuse to lash out at what they hate the most: everything that looks like them, What 7,000 a year i think it is now.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Nobody: 10:35am On Jul 08, 2006
na wah o smiley
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by WesleyanA(f): 10:36pm On Jul 09, 2006
anton:

But it does happen in amerikkka every day. Not religious, more economic. Mostly unemployed young men. Just looking for an excuse to lash out at what they hate the most: everything that looks like them, What 7,000 a year i think it is now.

That's sad. sad
I'm not pro anti-gun laws but sometimes they get into the wrong hands for some reason. undecided
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by ToyinOj(m): 1:00pm On Aug 10, 2007
I think what is said by anyone in this forum should be within reason. To say that some muslims are extremists without looking at the facts is beyond me. What started the whole wahala was wrong PERIOD.

Stating the obvious about inter-religious tension in Naija is not going to solve anything.

This is a case of "what u give is what u get" cool
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Abagworo(m): 10:47am On Jan 20, 2010
had to dig into archive.e no start today

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast / Ganduje Denies Masterminding Impeachment Of Kano Assembly Speaker / Man Insists Obasanjo Is From Anambra And Not Owu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.