Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,848 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) - Phones (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) (49223 Views)

Subsea Cable: Glo Shades MTN, Others (Photo) / ‘2Africa’ Subsea Cable In Lagos By Bayobab & MTN / Google’s Equiano Submarine Cable To Begin Operations In Nigeria By December (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by pat077: 11:28pm On Apr 21, 2022
How can ppl outside of lagos benefit from this?
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by aribisala0(m): 11:37pm On Apr 21, 2022
What does it look like , what is it made of what is its diameter, how long is it , what does it cost

What is the legal framework? Where will disputes be adjudicated , What are the security implications
Nigeria signs too many bad deals
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Tukor1759: 11:55pm On Apr 21, 2022
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Tycyborg(m): 11:56pm On Apr 21, 2022
lexy2014:

What has this got to do with APC and Tinubu?

The same way every bad thing happening in Lagos is associated to him. Any other thing happening in as much as Lagos is concern should be associated to him as well. Be it good or bad. No filter
Simple

1 Like

Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by toujurs: 12:10am On Apr 22, 2022
Nigerialabalaba:
Jagaban wey God give good aura to bless Lagos go bless Nigeria when Jagaban become President.

Lagos just dey shine and become more and more prosperous. God I thank u for Jagaban, Lagos, Google, and APC o.

For me and my household, na Jagaban we go vote for in 2023 insha allah.
Your level of illiteracy is second to none. I can see you are comfortable collecting owo da, on the streets of lagos.
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Armaggedon: 12:22am On Apr 22, 2022
aribisala0:
Well it is dangerous to see genuine inquiry as racist. How could accepting or denying his Igboness be "racist" I do not get that, Why??
I find it strange that he remembers he is Eboe or Igbo but does not remember his own name or the name of any significant person from his family or clan
or any Igbo words, Not one?
It raises questions about "false memory" or confabulation but like I said I am only guessing

Also I know that many Igbo groups as we know them today did not identify as Igbo" even as recently as 1914 or later e.g . Ngwas
so I would be surprised that a small child from 200 years ago remembers he is "igbo" I would have expected a more local Identity based on clan
You are the one that is doubting blindly. You are also wrong to say that Igbo subgroups didn't identify as Igbo's.The correct statement per haps should have been that Igbo identity was subsumed by subgroup consciousness. This is why within these subgroups you have town and communities with Igbo suffix like Igbanke (Igbo akiri) Ibuzor (Igbo uzo) Akwukwu Igbo, Umu Igbo in Igweocha. You also have them in surnames.

Also, Apart from the records of the European explorers and slave dealers of the 16th and 17th century who identified most lower niger as 'Ebo country', Slaves from the Igbo hinterland who ended up at Bonny, identified as Igbo's, according to records of people like captain Hugh crow of liverpool.
Your claim that no Igbo identity existed is false, at least history says otherwise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Judioro: 2:42am On Apr 22, 2022
BloomingDale:
Equiano, the name of a famous slave boy during the trans Atlantic slave trade? What is wrong with google? What kind of demeaning name is that? And Africans are celebrating? African men, Tuehhh? See as the white man dey take una play Kalo kalo. No wonder they are flogging you guys with horse whip at their border. Wish I had a horse whip to flog you guys too. Lolz.

Have you ever read the story of Equation?
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Reni1: 3:18am On Apr 22, 2022
BloomingDale:

Immortalize and honor a slave? WTH is wrong with you? The cable is for your second enslavement. They are just letting you know ahead of time.

Well, You and I are already enslaved as we are using the internet to communicate from different parts of the world. Lets all merry in our enslavement by the internet
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by BloomingDale(f): 3:27am On Apr 22, 2022
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by bigfrancis21: 3:50am On Apr 22, 2022
aribisala0:
Well it is dangerous to see genuine inquiry as racist. How could accepting or denying his Igboness be "racist" I do not get that, Why??
I find it strange that he remembers he is Eboe or Igbo but does not remember his own name or the name of any significant person from his family or clan
or any Igbo words, Not one?
It raises questions about "false memory" or confabulation but like I said I am only guessing

Also I know that many Igbo groups as we know them today did not identify as Igbo" even as recently as 1914 or later e.g . Ngwas
so I would be surprised that a small child from 200 years ago remembers he is "igbo" I would have expected a more local Identity based on clan

Well he used enough Igbo words in his book that undoubtedly tells you he is Igbo. Igbo words such as afo (year), ede (cocoyam), mgburichi (facial marks), afo nwa ika (men who were versed in announcing the new year) etc.

Second, yes Igbo was not generally accepted among Igbos today until the early 1900s, however Igbo slaves in America generally identified by that name, Ibo, and it was very much in general use as far back as the 1700s to describe slaves from Igbo land. Newly arriving slaves from Igbo land were shocked to hear that name upon arrival and admitted that the name was not used back home or they had not heard of it before but they got accustomed to it as a collective name in the Americas. The Igbo ethnic identity first grew in the Americas far before it became widely accepted within Igboland.

Below are slave runaway adverts and slave sale announcement dating back to the 1700s showing the massive use of 'Ibo' in USA:

1 Like

Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by bigfrancis21: 3:55am On Apr 22, 2022
aribisala0:
The story was challenged at the time of the writing by his contemporaries long before Nigeria was created. That is a fact so You insisting on one version over another has to have some basis.

My point is you are entitled to believe what you like but be honest about it . You DO NOT KNOW. You choose to believe .

There are many stories written in the bible , Quran and other places? All stories are questionable
His story was questionable for many reasons. There is no Eboe region of the Benin kingdom he remembered he was Eboe but could not name his village or clan or even his OWN EBOE name? There is research suggesting he was actually born in South Carolina. So choosing one version as true and the other as false has to have some basis

Even in this Nigeria stores that happen in our lifetime are debated and debatable. People argue about what caused Biafra war or what happened under Goodluck Jonathan not to talk of what happened hundreds of years ago and WAS QUESTIONED even then

IS IT POSSIBLE TO REMEMBER YOU ARE EBOE BUT NOT YOUR EBOE NAME

Bro did you even read his book in full at all? I find that many antagonists of Equiano barely read his book halfway and come up with arguments that could be prevented if they read his book in full.

Olaudah gave his name as Olaudah in his book and even the meaning, and the name of his village as 'Essaka' which has been traced to modern day Isseke in Anambra South. He gave his family name as Equiano which has been traced to the Ekweanuo/Ekwealuo family in Isseke, Anambra state.

Before the whole world knew him as Olaudah Equiano through his book, he was known as Gustavus Vassa by his slave master and went by that name officially.

3 Likes

Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Saintkollyjoe: 4:48am On Apr 22, 2022
BloomingDale:

For your second enslavement. Equiano is the name of a famous slave boy that was captured and sold to Europeans during the first Trans Atlantic slave trade. Lolz

You are historically conscious and grounded. When I saw the path of the cable on the map from Lisbon in Portugal to South African, my mind was saying this is the same path through which the Portuguese used to move around Africa to enslave our ancestors.
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Ooe33: 5:03am On Apr 22, 2022
U can choose not use use any network that patronizes Dem na. As per say u get issues wey u no go like make Dem know.

thebosstrevor1:
License to spy.

It is because we don't have the intellectual understanding of things, that is why, an american all the way from USA is laying subsea cables here on Nigeria shores
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by lexy2014: 5:40am On Apr 22, 2022
Tycyborg:

The same way every bad thing happening in Lagos is associated to him. Any other thing happening in as much as Lagos is concern should be associated to him as well. Be it good or bad. No filter
Simple

I don't how u have answered the question. Kindly explain What google undersea cable has this got to do with APC and Tinubu
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by tradepunter: 5:44am On Apr 22, 2022
BloomingDale:
Equiano, the name of a famous slave boy during the trans Atlantic slave trade? What is wrong with google? What kind of demeaning name is that? And Africans are celebrating? African men, Tuehhh? See as the white man dey take una play Kalo kalo. No wonder they are flogging you guys with horse whip at their border. Wish I had a horse whip to flog you guys too. Lolz.

Agent of disinformation, it will tire you o e day .. don't let me call you useless
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Yonsxp: 6:06am On Apr 22, 2022
Afonjakid:
Igbos are the least tribalistic of all Nigerian tribe. See how the igbo woman brought it to Lagos instead of the SE.

Ibo via marriage.
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by aribisala0(m): 6:57am On Apr 22, 2022
bigfrancis21:

Well he used enough Igbo words in his book that undoubtedly tells you he is Igbo. Igbo words such as afo (year), ede (cocoyam), mgburichi (facial marks), afo nwa ika (men who were versed in announcing the new year) etc.

Second, yes Igbo was not generally accepted among Igbos today until the early 1900s, however Igbo slaves in America generally identified by that name, Ibo, and it was very much in general use as far back as the 1700s to describe slaves from Igbo land. Newly arriving slaves from Igbo land were shocked to hear that name upon arrival and admitted that the name was not used back home or they had not heard of it before but they got accustomed to it as a collective name in the Americas. The Igbo ethnic identity first grew in the Americas far before it became widely accepted within Igboland.

Below are slave runaway adverts and slave sale announcement dating back to the 1700s showing the massive use of 'Ibo' in USA:

I really do not know what your point is all that additional information is not really necessary or relevant and is just diversionary?

Is anyone arguing that Ibos were not sold as slaves

You say Igbo slaves in Amerca generally identified by the name Ibo

That is just a ridiculous thing to say

There really is no point quoting me on this issue

My position is I do not know and YOU DO NOT KNOW either

You want to believe it which is our own choice but I simply am not convinced . Can we leave it at that.
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by passion007: 8:14am On Apr 22, 2022
BloomingDale:

What an Irredeemably foolish post!

4 Likes

Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Lordave: 8:20am On Apr 22, 2022
Transcriber:
what does it mean in Igbo?
Olauda- "Ornament of Sound" eg a gong made of valuable materials like silver or bronze.

Ikwuano- Clan of 4 brothers.

What more? Olauda Ikwuano was and is a true Igboman in and out.

2 Likes

Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by BloomingDale(f): 8:29am On Apr 22, 2022
Saintkollyjoe:

You are historically conscious and grounded. When I saw the path of the cable on the map from Lisbon in Portugal to South African, my mind was saying this is the same path through which the Portuguese used to move around Africa to enslave our ancestors.

Yes, a second enslavement is coming but this time through technology via trans humanism, the meta verse, nano particles and gene editing software in the Covid vaccine etc.
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Realboygenius(m): 8:34am On Apr 22, 2022
This is a good one for Lagos. Meanwhile you can enjoy stable video shooting experience with the new Oraimo Gimbal stabilizer.

Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Czario: 8:38am On Apr 22, 2022
BloomingDale:

Equiano ...It's a coded message...only the wise can get it
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by iamrealdeji(m): 8:41am On Apr 22, 2022
BloomingDale:
Just to honour the slave boy and immortalize him,his name and legacy. Why are you so sensitive?

2 Likes

Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Invitationn: 9:33am On Apr 22, 2022
BloomingDale:
You're being too woke.
There's nothing wrong in naming the transatlantic cable in honor of Equiano. Far from it!
It's not meant to demean him but in fact it's to honor him.
Picture below is a doodle of Equiano the abolitionist by Google in 2017; to remember, celebrate and honor him.
Always try to see the positive side of things first.

3 Likes

Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Xclusivedaniel6(m): 11:29am On Apr 22, 2022
Nigerialabalaba:
Jagaban wey God give good aura to bless Lagos go bless Nigeria when Jagaban become President.

Lagos just dey shine and become more and more prosperous. God I thank u for Jagaban, Lagos, Google, and APC o.

For me and my household, na Jagaban we go vote for in 2023 insha allah.

And you've subjected you and your family to early death insha allah
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Parachoko: 11:42am On Apr 22, 2022
femiasaolu2014:
This cable has no effect on last-mile Internet access.

The price will remain the same and MTN data will keep evaporating at twice the speed of other providers.

Ask the OGs about the effect of the MainOne cable which landed in 2010.

This reminds me, when will the famed cable being laid by Glo land?

Scammer Ijebu man
MainOne landed in 2009. Which Glo cable are you talking about? The one I know about landed in 2009
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Sleekfingers: 1:34pm On Apr 22, 2022
farouk2much:
Every thing lagos...... This lagos no dey full...
I dey envy this lagos

Because, lagos na ile owo, aje ati ikan meremere......

Itesiwaju ilu Eko se pataki......
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by bigfrancis21: 4:57pm On Apr 22, 2022
aribisala0:

I really do not know what your point is all that additional information is not really necessary or relevant and is just diversionary?

Is anyone arguing that Ibos were not sold as slaves

You say Igbo slaves in Amerca generally identified by the name Ibo

That is just a ridiculous thing to say

There really is no point quoting me on this issue

My position is I do not know and YOU DO NOT KNOW either

You want to believe it which is our own choice but I simply am not convinced . Can we leave it at that.

I was simply replying to your original post where you doubted Olaudah's Igbo origins and it was very clear from your post that you have not read his book, because if you did you would not be asking the questions that you asked. I read his book first in Jan or Feb of 2007 and have read it again severally since then. I know the man's story as a mother knows her child well.
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by aribisala0(m): 5:06pm On Apr 22, 2022
bigfrancis21:

I was simply replying to your original post where you doubted Olaudah's Igbo origins and it was very clear from your post that you have not read his book, because if you did you would not be asking the questions that you asked. I read his book first in Jan or Feb of 2007 and have read it again severally since then. I know the man's story as a mother knows her child well.

I do no know

you can call it doubt of lack of faith or whatever you like.
I simply do no know and neither do you

The fact that you read the Bible or Quran does not make it true that Hebrews are chosen people of God or that God sent Mohammed to mankind

There are many books on the Nigerian civil war many of which contradict each other
You are free to believe what you want .That is your right Just like I am free to say

I do not know

As far as DOUBT is concerned , doubt has been raised a long time ago by intelligent people asking intelligent questions

There is nothing unreasonable or illogical about having doubt

Is it impossible that Muhammad made up the Quran?

Is it impossible that this character was born in South Carolina as some claim and that everything he said about being Igbo was based on what he heard or read?
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by Tycyborg(m): 5:16pm On Apr 22, 2022
lexy2014:

I don't how u have answered the question. Kindly explain What google undersea cable has this got to do with APC and Tinubu

Its simple... Anything the happened in Lagos even if 2 area boys gangs are fighting people are fast to say tinibu was the cause without no one thinking how the incident could be associated with him so therefore when good thing happen like this cable thing it should also be associated with him too hence its happening in Lagos. Simple
Besides where did I mention apc ? Maybe you were thinking I am a partisan... For your information, I am not... Just a neutral body
Re: Equiano: Google’s Second Subsea Cable In Africa Arrives In Lagos (Pictures) by bigfrancis21: 5:17pm On Apr 22, 2022
aribisala0:

I do no know

you can call it doubt of lack of faith or whatever you like.
I simply do no know and neither do you

The fact that you read the Bible or Quran does not make it true that Hebrews are chosen people of God or that God sent Mohammed to mankind

There are many books on the Nigerian civil war many of which contradict each other
You are free to believe what you want .That is your right Just like I am free to say

I do not know

As far as DOUBT is concerned , doubt has been raised a long time ago by intelligent people asking intelligent questions

There is nothing unreasonable or illogical about having doubt

Is it impossible that Muhammad made up the Quran?

Is it impossible that this character was born in South Carolina as some claim and that everything he said about being Igbo was based on what he heard or read?

Well, facts from Olaudah's book have been verified to be accurate. I am from Anambra but I had never heard of Isseke village until after I read his book, a book written over 200 years ago. Second, Tinima is an unknown village located deep in the interior of Bonny Island. It does not even exist on google maps. However, Olaudah mentioned coming to this village in his memoir, and it remained unknown to the world for more than 200 years until it was recently discovered to exist in Rivers State (a sister village to Finima which is more popular). If Olaudah was from South Carolina, how then did he have deep knowledge of ancient Igboland and the interior routes and cities in Southern Nigeria that he passed through until he got to the sea?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 Annoying Things People Do In A Whatsapp Group / Do People Still Fall For This?! / Android Back Button Not Working; Try This Technique

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.