Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Soludo Unfolds Outrageous Tax Regime, Residents Groan - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Soludo Unfolds Outrageous Tax Regime, Residents Groan (428 Views)

Customers Groan As Banks Exhaust Old, New Naira Notes / Food Union Employers To Relocate Factories Over Outrageous Excise Duty, Taxation / Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soludo Unfolds Outrageous Tax Regime, Residents Groan by TonyRazor(m): 7:23pm On Apr 21, 2022
Nwafor Okafor
Soludo unfolds outrageous tax regime, residents groan

Residents of Anambra State have complained of indiscriminate notifications they have received from the state government urging them to pay outrageous taxes .

They said it was too early for the state governor, Prof Chukwuma Soludo, to introduce a tax regime that would further worsen the yoke in the prevailing economic circumstances.
Soludo was sworn in as the 6th executive governor of the state on March 17.

A media practitioner based in Lagos, Fred Chukwuelobe said he received such tax notification with utmost surprise, stating that had no business in Anambra State to warrant him being taxed.

The message sent to him by the state government read, "Dear Fred, you're in default of remitting NGN 175,112.02 as Personal Income Tax for 2021 to ANSG. Pay now to avoid further penalties".

Reacting, Chukwuelobe said,"The above platform has been demanding personal income tax from me from the Anambra State Govvernment.
"See the latest warning I got from the platform. I don't know what it means and how they came about the humongous sum as Personal Income Tax for poor me.

"I live in Lagos and I am not in default in my PAYE. Why is Anambra State demanding another tax from me when I don't live in the state nor make a living there?Please who knows about this? Is it real?
Another resident who gave his name simply as Jude said he received similar message asking him to pay his tax or face sanctions. Jude's notification read,"Dear JUDE, you're in default of remitting NGN 175,103.97 as Personal Income Tax for 2021 to ANSG. Pay now to avoid further penalties"

Another resident showed our correspondent his notification thus "Dear VINCENT, you're in default of remitting NGN 175,078.58 as Personal Income Tax for 2021 to ANSG. Pay now to avoid further penalties.

Vincent added, "Can you people imagine this text I received. Am I a contractor? My PAYE is deducted at source. Or is it the implementation of the new policy that journalists must pay tax?

Reacting, a resident said," E don set ooo. Soludo has come. No escape for anybody"

A resident who condemned the development said,"They are even sending the demand notice to pensioners,who had retired from public service,hence,
showing the ridiculous nature of their action.
"They should know that Personal Income Tax is governed by law and it's not what you just wake up and start demanding from people. You don't know their tax status and level of income.Some people are not liable to pay personal income tax and there are those whose income are not taxable,due to its low/poor nature.

Reacting to the development, the deputy director/head, Taxpayer Education and Enlightenment Team, of the Anambra Internal Revenue Service, Sylvia Tochukwu-Ngige, acknowledged that the notifications emanated from the government.

She urged those who received such tax notifications not to ignore it to avoid grave consequences.
She said," Those who got such messages should come to the Anambra Internal Revenue Service in Awka for clarification in their own interests. To ignore such message may be catastrophic in future.

The Anambra State Internal Revenue Service had in the commencement of the Soludo Government said it would begin aggressive enforcement of payment of outstanding tax bills in the state from April 1.

Richard Madiebo, the new chairman of AIRS said the enforcement would include social bills, signage and waste management.

It was gathered that the state government had an outstanding bill of N513.9bn payable by no fewer than 2.1 million taxpayers in the dtate.

The amount was captured in the database under the Anambra Social Service Identity (ANSSID) number.

A source in the agency said," We have generated a total collectable bill of N513.9 bn as at January 2022 against 2.1 million taxpayers in the state.

“This means that if we can ensure payment of this bill by indebted individuals, and they begin to make payment, the government will have a lot of money".

The siurce urged Anambra residents to check the ANSSID portal for their status and proceed with relevant actions of filing and payment.

The source added,"The enforcement team from AIRS will be enforcing payment of taxes and levies, including Business Premises Permit, Waste Management, Signage and fire service compliance" .

Re: Soludo Unfolds Outrageous Tax Regime, Residents Groan by money121(m): 7:25pm On Apr 21, 2022
Ok
Re: Soludo Unfolds Outrageous Tax Regime, Residents Groan by Dawn91(m): 7:32pm On Apr 21, 2022
[s]
TonyRazor:
Nwafor Okafor
Soludo unfolds outrageous tax regime, residents groan

Residents of Anambra State have complained of indiscriminate notifications they have received from the state government urging them to pay outrageous taxes .

They said it was too early for the state governor, Prof Chukwuma Soludo, to introduce a tax regime that would further worsen the yoke in the prevailing economic circumstances.
Soludo was sworn in as the 6th executive governor of the state on March 17.

A media practitioner based in Lagos, Fred Chukwuelobe said he received such tax notification with utmost surprise, stating that had no business in Anambra State to warrant him being taxed.

The message sent to him by the state government read, "Dear Fred, you're in default of remitting NGN 175,112.02 as Personal Income Tax for 2021 to ANSG. Pay now to avoid further penalties".

Reacting, Chukwuelobe said,"The above platform has been demanding personal income tax from me from the Anambra State Govvernment.
"See the latest warning I got from the platform. I don't know what it means and how they came about the humongous sum as Personal Income Tax for poor me.

"I live in Lagos and I am not in default in my PAYE. Why is Anambra State demanding another tax from me when I don't live in the state nor make a living there?Please who knows about this? Is it real?
Another resident who gave his name simply as Jude said he received similar message asking him to pay his tax or face sanctions. Jude's notification read,"Dear JUDE, you're in default of remitting NGN 175,103.97 as Personal Income Tax for 2021 to ANSG. Pay now to avoid further penalties"

Another resident showed our correspondent his notification thus "Dear VINCENT, you're in default of remitting NGN 175,078.58 as Personal Income Tax for 2021 to ANSG. Pay now to avoid further penalties.

Vincent added, "Can you people imagine this text I received. Am I a contractor? My PAYE is deducted at source. Or is it the implementation of the new policy that journalists must pay tax?

Reacting, a resident said," E don set ooo. Soludo has come. No escape for anybody"

A resident who condemned the development said,"They are even sending the demand notice to pensioners,who had retired from public service,hence,
showing the ridiculous nature of their action.
"They should know that Personal Income Tax is governed by law and it's not what you just wake up and start demanding from people. You don't know their tax status and level of income.Some people are not liable to pay personal income tax and there are those whose income are not taxable,due to its low/poor nature.

Reacting to the development, the deputy director/head, Taxpayer Education and Enlightenment Team, of the Anambra Internal Revenue Service, Sylvia Tochukwu-Ngige, acknowledged that the notifications emanated from the government.

She urged those who received such tax notifications not to ignore it to avoid grave consequences.
She said," Those who got such messages should come to the Anambra Internal Revenue Service in Awka for clarification in their own interests. To ignore such message may be catastrophic in future.

The Anambra State Internal Revenue Service had in the commencement of the Soludo Government said it would begin aggressive enforcement of payment of outstanding tax bills in the state from April 1.

Richard Madiebo, the new chairman of AIRS said the enforcement would include social bills, signage and waste management.

It was gathered that the state government had an outstanding bill of N513.9bn payable by no fewer than 2.1 million taxpayers in the dtate.

The amount was captured in the database under the Anambra Social Service Identity (ANSSID) number.

A source in the agency said," We have generated a total collectable bill of N513.9 bn as at January 2022 against 2.1 million taxpayers in the state.

“This means that if we can ensure payment of this bill by indebted individuals, and they begin to make payment, the government will have a lot of money".

The siurce urged Anambra residents to check the ANSSID portal for their status and proceed with relevant actions of filing and payment.

The source added,"The enforcement team from AIRS will be enforcing payment of taxes and levies, including Business Premises Permit, Waste Management, Signage and fire service compliance" .
[/s]
Shut up and pay your taxes .. only criminals avoid tax it's called tax evasion

2 Likes

Re: Soludo Unfolds Outrageous Tax Regime, Residents Groan by tivta(m): 7:42pm On Apr 21, 2022
WTF
Re: Soludo Unfolds Outrageous Tax Regime, Residents Groan by habsydiamond(m): 7:45pm On Apr 21, 2022
I no know why Nigerians dey always run from taxes. U go see some trader when dem site tax agents like this na to lock up shop run.. That's the major reason why lagos is booming cos they pay tax... If not for the corrupt leaders that would only take the money without doing something tangible with it..

1 Like

Re: Soludo Unfolds Outrageous Tax Regime, Residents Groan by Dreal1247: 7:47pm On Apr 21, 2022
The Governor should be given benefit of thought. I believe this is one of the reasons why he is trying to stop the Monday sit at home. When the state is deeply indebted, what do you expect? The next President of Nigeria will change the people more than this as the current Government has borrowed into the next generation.
Re: Soludo Unfolds Outrageous Tax Regime, Residents Groan by Anieke77(m): 7:50pm On Apr 21, 2022
Soludo the most educated governor in Nigeria .quote me if you have balls
Re: Soludo Unfolds Outrageous Tax Regime, Residents Groan by decatalyst(m): 8:09pm On Apr 21, 2022
He knows what the people and the economy so well.

Una go pay to the last Kobo...but he really looks like a guy that will do the work also.

I wish Anambra state well.

(1) (Reply)

Business Advices / 1200 Pi For Sale / Abiodun commissions Arepo-Journalists Estate Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.