Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. - Programming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. (24337 Views)

Do We Have Devs That Started Their First Role At Mid-level? / I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... / Hi Devs, See What I Won (New Survey) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by Excel2025: 4:49pm On Apr 28, 2022
ShadowCracker:

You are so on point sir.

I am a 100 level Ui cs student, my first semester course are majorly calculus, Algebra, Linear algebra and stats.

We are doing introductory Python and c# for 100 level cs.

Although we are on strike now, I have seen some of the senior with clrs, and I can say that the book is not for people who don't know maths.

C# should be in 200 level. Na Python you go do for 100level. Dr ayinla go drill una well shocked shocked
Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by ShadowCracker(m): 5:07pm On Apr 28, 2022
Excel2025:

C# should be in 200 level. Na Python you go do for 100level. Dr ayinla go drill una well shocked shocked
We haven't started csc 102 classes yet because of the ASUU strike, so I don't know the lecturers yet.

I only know Mr's Ogunseye who is our level advisor, is Mr Ayinla the instructor for csc 102 or csc 103.

I go even happy if hin drill us, I want us to do much coding. cool
Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by swagenity(m): 5:12pm On Apr 28, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Just apply to a lot of jobs on linkedin and indeed. Thats my way.
Thanks for the swift reply, i know you've heard this a thousand times, but thanks for your contribution to the programming section, you don't know how helpful you've been!

Please I'd like an honest and unfiltered review (criticisms and improvements) of my portfolio and projects

https://ikwuh-jeffery.netlify.app/
Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by ReactJs(m): 6:10pm On Apr 28, 2022
Quite insightful post tensazangetsu20. I had an interview with a startup in Oslo,Norway last week Friday. The interview was in 3 stages. Live coding(Fibonnaci Sequence) , Design Patterns and take home. Made it to the take home aspect which apparently was the easiest aspect of the interview but if I get offered the job, I'm not gonna take it cuz the pay range is still in the range of what I'm earning and its a startup. I don't want to work at a startup.

I'm already in the over a million Naira monthly bracket but my actual goal is to get to at least 10million Naira monthly before the end of next year. But I have actually seen backend roles that wants to pay me this within my desired range. I came very close with a firm in Helsinki, and another in the UAE. Do you know what keeps messing me up? AWS certificates. I swear. it's almost like I can't run away from it anymore which is why I'm dedicated the next couple of months for getting these certs.

9 Likes

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by Excel2025: 6:13pm On Apr 28, 2022
ShadowCracker:

We haven't started csc 102 classes yet because of the ASUU strike, so I don't know the lecturers yet.

I only know Mr's Ogunseye who is our level advisor, is Mr Ayinla the instructor for csc 102 or csc 103.

I go even happy if hin drill us, I want us to do much coding. cool

He's the instructor for 103
Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:17pm On Apr 28, 2022
ReactJs:
Quite insightful post tensazangetsu20. I had an interview with a startup in Oslo,Norway last week Friday. The interview was in 3 stages. Live coding(Fibonnaci Sequence) , Design Patterns and take home. Made it to the take home aspect which apparently was the easiest aspect of the interview but if I get offered the job, I'm not gonna take it cuz the pay range is still in the range of what I'm earning and its a startup. I don't want to work at a startup.

I'm already in the over a million Naira monthly bracket but my actual goal is to get to at least 10million Naira monthly before the end of next year. But I have actually seen backend roles that wants to pay me this within my desired range. I came very close with a firm in Helsinki, and another in the UAE. Do you know what keeps messing me up? AWS certificates. I swear. it's almost like I can't run away from it anymore which is why I'm dedicated the next couple of months for getting these certs.

It seems European companies love fibonnaci and no they will absolutely never accept the easy o two n squared solution which everyone knows. The one I did but failed the behavioral interview asked for an ologn solution which I had to use the binets method to solve. I currently have another interview with a company in Denmark and I got the same thing and I am required to solve it in a different way though this was much easier than the first. Most of this interview questions get repeated after a while.

You really need AWS honestly it's just 150 USD I think and its not even difficult to study and pass. Just invest in it. The rewards are outrageous. I would have done aws but I don't wanna do anything cloud aside Salesforce. Still have dreams of being a senior level Salesforce architect one day. Na data structures and algorithms just spoil all my plans grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by Nexxy007: 6:46pm On Apr 28, 2022
This is truly and eye opening thread. Kudos guys

1 Like

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by africonn: 7:43pm On Apr 28, 2022
TheStrongest:
Life is about risks... Some products can be operated solely by you in the first few months.
Starting small is the thing...

Some very simple apps are making bucks for their owners.

You don't necessarily need a team to get some products done bro...

Sometimes start small and scale.

Also, one is not limited to just one product...

Doesn't work most times, tried it. You need operations, finances, marketing and leverage to make the goods ideas work.

1 Like

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by Altairx440: 8:11pm On Apr 28, 2022
monikulapo:

Hahaha, English comprehension is a problem and don’t flatter me grin I’m not even smart enough to memorize common Binary search.
How is building block of an algorithm an algorithm ?

If I tell you to Bleep yourself that’s a statement.
Now if I tell you get a Love Machine, create an infinite loop and then put the first statement in that infinite loop. That a brute force algorithm to Bleep yourself silly.

So everything I mentioned are properties of an algorithm but on its own they’re not algorithms. Do good for yourself and read to comprehend and not to provide rebuttals.

And yes I don’t develop any new original algorithms .. do you ? what point are you trying to make ?
Lol, don't flatter yourself yet.

Your illustration is wrong, it's totally not a brute force algorithm to begin with, I don't think you even understand what brute force algorithms are. Adding statements inside a loop does not make it a brute force algorithm lol.

To be honest you should review your basics. For starters, a program is an algorithm that's represented formally so a computer can execute it, an algorithm is a set of finite steps that does something. All programs are fundamentally algorithms written for computers, just because I/u don't actually write the algorithm down does not change this fact.

You think of algorithms as brute force, greedy, divide & conquer e.t.c you're wrong, these are used to classify common algorithms. What would you think of dfs, bfs, binary search then? what's the difference between a brute force algorithm and a binary search?

2 Likes

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by plat0: 8:31pm On Apr 28, 2022
A friend got a job. coding test was not required. The pay is really fantastic. Please leave Nigeria if you have the chance o..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by TheStrongest: 8:43pm On Apr 28, 2022
africonn:

Doesn't work most times, tried it. You need operations, finances, marketing and leverage to make the goods ideas work.
You need those, but man got to start from somewhere. I can't know all these things until I try...

I've never fancied working for a firm, big or small. It's not just my thing... I prefer to build products and sell.

The owner of MailOptin WordPress plugin is a Nigerian. He's making bucks doing his thing.. Sometimes just improving a segment of an already existing tech can fetch one buck..

My goal is to build....

8 Likes

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by airsaylongcome: 9:28pm On Apr 28, 2022
TheStrongest:
You need those, but man got to start from somewhere. I can't know all these things until I try...

I've never fancied working for a firm, big or small. It's not just my thing... I prefer to build products and sell.

The owner of MailOptin WordPress plugin is a Nigerian. He's making bucks doing his thing.. Sometimes just improving a segment of an already existing tech can fetch one buck..

My goal is to build....

I'm wondering, do you think MailOptin doesn't have operations, finance, administration and all the works?

Have you heard of hotjar? Also a WordPress plugin. Starting pay is €45k per annum and they only develop a WP plugin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by TheStrongest: 9:54pm On Apr 28, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I'm wondering, do you think MailOptin doesn't have operations, finance, administration and all the works?

Have you heard of hotjar? Also a WordPress plugin. Starting pay is €45k per annum and they only develop a WP plugin
And do you think MailOptin started with those big operations, finance, and administration you mentioned?
It started small, It started somewhere.

There are even some solo projects that are making the owners more than $40k monthly. The major thing is identifying a problem first, then find a medium to offer solutions to that problem...

You have to start somewhere.. Even not so great tech like NetNaija is making big bucks monthly... Nairaland was a solo project by Seun, he started introducing extra hands when the project started growing.

Man has to start from somewhere... This is my own path, and I'm not scared of the risk involved..

Even if 99% has failed trying this path, the 1% that made it is my motivation...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by monikulapo: 10:06pm On Apr 28, 2022
Altairx440:

Lol, don't flatter yourself yet.

Your illustration is wrong, it's totally not a brute force algorithm to begin with, I don't think you even understand what brute force algorithms are. Adding statements inside a loop does not make it a brute force algorithm lol.

To be honest you should review your basics. For starters, a program is an algorithm that's represented formally so a computer can execute it, an algorithm is a set of finite steps that does something. All programs are fundamentally algorithms written for computers, just because I/u don't actually write the algorithm down does not change this fact.

You think of algorithms as brute force, greedy, divide & conquer e.t.c you're wrong, these are used to classify common algorithms. What would you think of dfs, bfs, binary search then? what's the difference between a brute force algorithm and a binary search?

Hahahaha broooo
Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by 3exe3: 1:04am On Apr 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

It seems European companies love fibonnaci and no they will absolutely never accept the easy o two n squared solution which everyone knows. The one I did but failed the behavioral interview asked for an ologn solution which I had to use the binets method to solve. I currently have another interview with a company in Denmark and I got the same thing and I am required to solve it in a different way though this was much easier than the first. Most of this interview questions get repeated after a while.

You really need AWS honestly it's just 150 USD I think and its not even difficult to study and pass. Just invest in it. The rewards are outrageous. I would have done aws but I don't wanna do anything cloud aside Salesforce. Still have dreams of being a senior level Salesforce architect one day. Na data structures and algorithms just spoil all my plans grin grin

So can you drop a practical way of how u solved the fibonnaci

Cause I know the recursive method and the memoization method
Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:48am On Apr 29, 2022
3exe3:

So can you drop a practical way of how u solved the fibonnaci

Cause I know the recursive method and the memoization method

So picture this matrix [[1, 1],[1,0]]. This raised to the power of n will give you the answer of the Fibonacci sequence and it runs in log(n) time.

2 Likes

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by airsaylongcome: 8:54am On Apr 29, 2022
TheStrongest:
And do you think MailOptin started with those big operations, finance, and administration you mentioned?
It started small, It started somewhere.

There are even some solo projects that are making the owners more than $40k monthly. The major thing is identifying a problem first, then find a medium to offer solutions to that problem...

You have to start somewhere.. Even not so great tech like NetNaija is making big bucks monthly... Nairaland was a solo project by Seun, he started introducing extra hands when the project started growing.

Man has to start from somewhere... This is my own path, and I'm not scared of the risk involved..

Even if 99% has failed trying this path, the 1% that made it is my motivation...

And I will ask you again, In 2005 do you think a "solo" Seun didn’t have operations, finance, administration and all the works? The easiest part about tech is coding o. That's damn easy. Getting the products into the hands of the customers and keeping it there, that's the real hard part of tech business. But you do you. I wish you all the best and God's speed
Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by GreatCracker(m): 8:54am On Apr 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

So picture this matrix [[1, 1],[1,0]]. This raised to the power of n will give you the answer of the Fibonacci sequence and it runs in log(n) time.
good day to you sir
I just sent you a dm, kindly reply or is there any other meduim to reach you.
Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by TheStrongest: 9:25am On Apr 29, 2022
airsaylongcome:

And I will ask you again, In 2005 do you think a "solo" Seun didn’t have operations, finance, administration and all the works? The easiest part about tech is coding o. That's damn easy. Getting the products into the hands of the customers and keeping it there, that's the real hard part of tech business. But you do you. I wish you all the best and God's speed
Thanks...
We clearly have very different mindset and approach to business. I am very certain Seun started solo without those operations. The growth of his platform prompted the big moves...

We're on very different paths bro... I pray that at the end of the day we all get our desired goals and live our dreams.
That's the most important thing...

3 Likes

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:35am On Apr 29, 2022
TheStrongest:
Thanks...
We clearly have very different mindset and approach to business. I am very certain Seun started solo without those operations. The growth of his platform prompted the big moves...

We're on very different paths bro... I pray that at the end of the day we all get our desired goals and live our dreams.

The good thing about software engineering is that you lose nothing whether you are an entrepreneur or you are working for a company. If your startup fails you can still get a very good paying job as a programmer. It's not like other fields. If God forbid nairaland fails, do you know how many big tech companies are ready to employ seun for a salary of upwards 500k a year. Do you know what it takes to build a forum and scale it to 2 million users. It will make shake heads anywhere.

The CEO of the agency I work for is a very brilliant software engineer like very brilliant. He used to work at a faang but left it to build an agency. If business is slow today or goes bad it won't take him up to 2 weeks to a month to get a very high paying job. Infact he has been offered over 500k USD annually countless times to just quit the startup.

As a programmer you lose nothing, carry go.

16 Likes

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by TheStrongest: 9:54am On Apr 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

The good thing about software engineering is that you lose nothing whether you are an entrepreneur or you are working for a company. If your startup fails you can still get a very good paying job as a programmer. It's not like other fields. If God forbid nairaland fails, do you know how many big tech companies are ready to employ seun for a salary of upwards 500k a year. Do you know what it takes to build a forum and scale it to 2 million users. It will make shake heads anywhere.

The CEO of the agency I work for is a very brilliant software engineer like very brilliant. He used to work at a faang but left it to build an agency. If business is slow today or goes bad it won't take him up to 2 weeks to a month to get a very high paying job. Infact he has been offered over 500k USD annually countless times to just quit the startup.

That's just it bro... Well said

1 Like

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by airsaylongcome: 10:10am On Apr 29, 2022
TheStrongest:
Thanks...

No. You don't start these things after bro. Not in this day and age. You start of being intentional. How many users do you plan to have within 6 months? How much revenue in that time frame? How many in 3 years? What features will be available at go live? In Month 3? All of these are the kinds of "operations, administration and finance" (actually called "business" ) that you need to have. Building a solution with a clear cut plan about how you plan to grow is recipe for Bleep. But hey, do you.
Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by airsaylongcome: 10:19am On Apr 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I agree. It's like Surgery in Medicine. However, that your boss has a clearly mapped out plan for his business. He's got HR, Accounting, IT Support etc. He has revenue targets for certain milestones. And is tracking actual vs target.All of this are needed for him to focus on hunting and winning new accounts. I'm not saying anyone starting off needs to get all of this clearly delineated. But if you don't have the basics (revenue targets, growth targets, features targets) you won't be growing and scaling and out performing competitors. Remember that software is just a tool, a means to an end. That end is very simple, could be increased Revenue, productivity, efficiency or decreased cost etc

2 Likes

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:21am On Apr 29, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I agree. It's like Surgery in Medicine. However, that your boss has a clearly mapped out plan for his business. He's got HR, Accounting, IT Support etc. He has revenue targets for certain milestones. And is tracking actual vs target.All of this are needed for him to focus on hunting and winning new accounts. I'm not saying anyone starting off needs to get all of this clearly delineated. But if you don't have the basics (revenue targets, growth targets, features targets) you won't be growing and scaling and out performing competitors. Remember that software is just a tool, a means to an end. That end is very simple, could be increased Revenue, productivity, efficiency or decreased cost etc

Oh yes definitely. The business was quite structured from the get go. Even projects are calculated so we can hit at least 60 percent profit on all projects. I think the poster is quite young so he still has the entrepreneurship bug. He should go for it, he has a lot he will learn even if he fails he will learn.

1 Like

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by TheStrongest: 10:26am On Apr 29, 2022
airsaylongcome:

No. You don't start these things after bro. Not in this day and age. You start of being intentional. How many users do you plan to have within 6 months? How much revenue in that time frame? How many in 3 years? What features will be available at go live? In Month 3? All of these are the kinds of "operations, administration and finance" (actually called "business" ) that you need to have. Building a solution with a clear cut plan about how you plan to grow is recipe for Bleep. But hey, do you.
Oh! I get your point now... Of course one must have those plans in place...
I understand clearly what you mean..

1 Like

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by airsaylongcome: 10:28am On Apr 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Oh yes definitely. The business was quite structured from the get go. Even projects are calculated so we can hit at least 60 percent profit on all projects. I think the poster is quite young so he still has the entrepreneurship bug. He should go for it, he has a lot he will learn even if he fails he will learn.

Yeah he comes across as young, which is a good thing. I'm just trying to nudge him to start considering those things early. My bosses started up their business straight out of high school in the late nineties. And by that time they were already setting revenue and growth targets. As 17 year old o. They missed a lot of their initial (over ambitious) targets. But they will always tell you that it was those targets (and missing them) that were instrumental to where they are today. They were able to tell early that they were going off target and had to reset the course of the business

1 Like

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by TheStrongest: 10:34am On Apr 29, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Planning for those is the major backbone if one plans to scale, which I think everyone wants to... But when starting one doesn't really need those things on ground... The world is very large and there are problems in almost every segment that one can target and solve alone...

My point is one doesn't really need that big Arsenal to get started, you can get started in your bedroom, alone.
That's the point I'm trying to make... Do you know BookBolt? They're targeting just a particular segment and providing solutions to problems from that segment. They didn't start out very big.
Targeting the right people is the koko... In this age and time it is easier to target the right audience without breaking bank as a solo entrepreneur.
There are so many platforms like BookBolt in various industries and niches that we don't know about, built from a single person and are doing really well...

But I clearly understand where you're driving at.

2 Likes

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by qtguru(m): 11:59am On Apr 29, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Yeah he comes across as young, which is a good thing. I'm just trying to nudge him to start considering those things early. My bosses started up their business straight out of high school in the late nineties. And by that time they were already setting revenue and growth targets. As 17 year old o. They missed a lot of their initial (over ambitious) targets. But they will always tell you that it was those targets (and missing them) that were instrumental to where they are today. They were able to tell early that they were going off target and had to reset the course of the business

I wished I started business earlier, I coded for so long, that starting one business can change everything, and luckily today there are so many platforms to run as an online business. Every company is almost on no-code/low-code so there is room for consultancy , especially when you can code.

I think he should try out the business route, it's more likely to be way profitable if you put in the focus, I understand what you mean @airlongcomesay

Luckily one can still play a sustaining role in consultancy as an Agency.

2 Likes

Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by Altairx440: 12:25pm On Apr 29, 2022
monikulapo:

Hahahaha broooo
Huh?
Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by 3exe3: 12:18am On Apr 30, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Cool thanks
Is there a book u can recommend that discusses data structures in detail
Re: So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:22am On Apr 30, 2022
3exe3:

Cool thanks
Is there a book u can recommend that discusses data structures in detail
I liked grokking algorithms. I tried elements of the programming interviews but it was too advanced for me. Maybe you can try it. For me now leetcode Is okay.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Why Most Beginners Quit Programming / Sam Altman Visits Nigeria On AI Tour / Celestial Church Of Christ Hymns (cccmyhymns) Now On Android with pictures!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.