Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

Nissan Xterra - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nissan Xterra (842 Views)

Why Are Naija Used Nissan Xterra And Pathfinder So Cheap / Nissan Xterra 4.0 2006 Needs New Engine. / Nissan Xterra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nissan Xterra by toptaste(m): 5:15pm On Apr 24, 2022
I recently got a 2004 Nigeria used Nissan Xterra with overheating issues. I worked on the engine and replaced the radiator and now no more overheating.

However now I'm having the following issues:
1. The car slows to almost a stop when going uphill
2. The shifting is sluggish. I almost have to floor the throttle to accelerate but the engine just makes more noise without any corresponding acceleration, and then it switches gear suddenly with a jerk and accelerates
3. There are at least 3 disconnected plugs in the engine wiring which makes me think a wiring harness for a different vehicle was used. How do I fix it?
4. I'm getting p0031, p0051 and p0057 error codes
5. I don't know if it's an issue but the radiator fan was fixed permanently to the engine by the previous owner

How do I fix the above problems? And how much should I budget? The vehicle is around ogba Lagos thanks
Re: Nissan Xterra by Kimiso(m): 5:20pm On Apr 24, 2022
Am not a car expertise and I don't have one so i wish you have a solution to your problem
Re: Nissan Xterra by nifemi25(m): 5:23pm On Apr 24, 2022
To be sincere with you, most mechanic just dey guess likely solution to a cars problem... Since you have scanned the car and gotten some codes. Why not Google the code and get the exact problem to your car. Then instruct your mechanic on what to do according to the solution you got from code on Google.

4 Likes

Re: Nissan Xterra by kunki90(m): 7:11pm On Apr 24, 2022
Here’s my candid advice. You bought a lemon, no need to feel bad we all make mistakes. Sell it off immediately or you keep pouring money into a bottomless pit.

1 Like

Re: Nissan Xterra by fineboynl(m): 7:56pm On Apr 24, 2022
That's the same problem the former owner faced before handing it over to you. I guess for very cheap .

Do you have check engine light?

You might need a very good mechanic to fix it.

The codes are oxygen sensor. You exhaust might be clocked.

Watch the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAwyXw2VCis

1 Like

Re: Nissan Xterra by toptaste(m): 8:23pm On Apr 24, 2022
Thanks for all the responses so far. I'll appreciate a response from an actual mechanic, preferably one with Nissan experience.
Re: Nissan Xterra by toptaste(m): 8:25pm On Apr 24, 2022
fineboynl:
That's the same problem the former owner faced before handing it over to you. I guess for very cheap .

Do you have check engine light?

You might need a very good mechanic to fix it.

The codes are oxygen sensor. You exhaust might be clocked.

Watch the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAwyXw2VCis

Interesting video. After watching the video I'm now wondering whether number 3 problem caused the error codes in number 4. The disconnected wires look like they are connected to oxygen sensors like in the video.
Re: Nissan Xterra by fineboynl(m): 8:38pm On Apr 24, 2022
toptaste:

Interesting video. After watching the video I'm now wondering whether number 3 problem caused the error codes in number 4. The disconnected wires look like they are connected to oxygen sensors like in the video.
I don't think so. Do you mean the spark plugs are not connected.

You might want to change to the original spark plugs wire of the car
Re: Nissan Xterra by Originalsly: 2:40am On Apr 25, 2022
Interesting video fineboynl ! @ Op... (not a mechanic ) for the p0057 code ... in the video don't overlook the first of two possible problems... a problem in the cooling system. You mentioned the fan is wired directly to the engine... not as supposed to be... so that may also trigger the code. You may need to spend a whole lot on the car .... engine may be good as well as transmission... but the spending will be to correct all the short cuts and substitutions and replacement to return the car to standard. This will have to be done by a professional who will have to spend a lot of time.....and time is money.
Re: Nissan Xterra by Originalsly: 2:42am On Apr 25, 2022
Interesting video fineboynl ! @ Op... (not a mechanic ) for the p0057 code ... in the video don't overlook the first of two possible problems... a problem in the cooling system. You mentioned the fan is wired directly to the engine... not as supposed to be... so that may also trigger the code. You may need to spend a whole lot on the car .... engine may be good as well as transmission... but the spending will be to correct all the short cuts and substitutions and replacement to return the car to standard. This will have to be done by a professional who will have to spend a lot of time.....and time is money. I suggest you take it to a professional and pay for an estimate.
Re: Nissan Xterra by toptaste(m): 9:12am On Apr 25, 2022
These are the plugs without a corresponding connector. The engine is a Nissan VG33E

Re: Nissan Xterra by fineboynl(m): 9:26am On Apr 25, 2022
toptaste

That is the oxygen sensor.

There is a connecting cable to connect that to th ECU.

Watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XwhF72Qua4

(1) (Reply)

Top 10: Best Car Names / My Car Engine Starts Fine At First But Thereafter, Low Engine Start / I Need Help With My Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.