Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,266 members, 7,815,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood (2641 Views)

Flood Sweeps Away UNIBEN Student As He Drowns In Abuja / Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State / Students Seen Climbing Transformer Fence In A Bid To Cross Flood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Victerica(m): 1:41pm On May 12, 2022
seunH:
Your personal decision sir

What is your take on heaven and hell?

Also, what is your take about the end of the world?
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by seunH: 2:00pm On May 12, 2022
Victerica:

What is your take on heaven and hell?

Also, what is your take about the end of the world?
I believe it exists and one day the world would come to an end ( which has been proven scientifically)
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 16, 2022
TheSourcerer:
We just did , through years and years of evolution , I know this is not convincing enough but isnt the biblical version far fetched?.....
The biblical version is still much more convincing than ur evolution.
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Maynman: 2:55pm On May 16, 2022
killmods:

In what way?
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Nobody: 2:56pm On May 16, 2022
Maynman:

In what way?
Every way
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Maynman: 2:57pm On May 16, 2022
killmods:

Every way

To a sheep.
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 16, 2022
Maynman:

To a sheep.
No to an awakened man.. btw tell how u evolved into this present stage and how long, what influenced it and why haven't humans evolved since that 200k years ago into the next best thing till now? Pls I want to learn from u the goat smiley
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Maynman: 3:05pm On May 16, 2022
killmods:

No to an awakened man.. btw tell how u evolved into this present stage and how long, what influenced it and why haven't humans evolved since that 200k years ago into the next best thing till now? Pls I want to learn from u the goat smiley

Who do you know personally or in history that has lived 200 thousand years ago, sheep?
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Maynman: 3:08pm On May 16, 2022
killmods:

You will also tell me the process of how your god created earth and humans. What influenced it?

I don’t want imaginary answers oo, I want facts and evidence.

killmods, answer me too oo.
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 16, 2022
Maynman:

Who do you know personally or in history that has lived 200 thousand years ago, sheep?
Goat stop dodging and answer me naa.. U want use fight end matters?
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Maynman: 3:11pm On May 16, 2022
killmods:

Goat stop dodging and answer me naa.. U want use fight end matters?

Sheep, who do you know that was living 200,000 years ago? Are you thinking?

Even hebrew Bible is barely 7000 years old.
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 16, 2022
Maynman:

You will also tell me the process of how your god created earth and humans. What influenced it?

I don’t want imaginary answers oo, I want facts and evidence.
You see.. most of u lots have a deep hatred for God and Christianity and out of frustration and disappointments u turn into something else. Because I said the biblical version is more convincing u first called me a sheep. Now ur using the bold. How do u know I believe in anything? You are not bright one bit. Simple explain better what u know to who doesn't and then ur rolling up ur sleeves spoiling for a fight already.. You can shove it up where the sun doesn't shine. I'm no longer interested.
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Maynman: 3:19pm On May 16, 2022
killmods:

You see.. most of u lots have a deep hatred for God and Christianity and out of frustration and disappointments u turn into something else. Because I said the biblical version is more convincing u first called me a sheep. Now ur using the bold. How do u know I believe in anything? You are not bright one bit. Simple explain better what u know to who doesn't and then ur rolling up ur sleeves spoiling for a fight already.. You can shove it up where the sun doesn't shine. I'm no longer interested.

Are you not part of the congregation? And don’t you obey and listen to your pastors? I’m only calling you what you call yourself!, A SHEEP!
You should be proud, you are part of the flock!

Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Maynman: 3:20pm On May 16, 2022
killmods:

What’s the difference between doctor and Doctor?, god and God?
How do you pronounce god, God, goD and GOD?
You’ve been brainwashed!
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by TheSourcerer: 4:29pm On May 16, 2022
killmods:

yeah real convincing lol
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Hermes119: 11:57am On May 20, 2022
seunH:
There is no other explanation without sounding stupid, so Yes
So God,to be very specific,the Christian God exists because you feel we don't have a satisfactory explanation of how human beings came into existence ?
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Hermes119: 12:00pm On May 20, 2022
killmods:

The biblical version is only convincing to those who were taught Christianity as children when they were at their utmost gullibility,and grew up into a society where everybody believed same.

1 Like

Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by seunH: 12:25pm On May 20, 2022
Hermes119:

So God,to be very specific,the Christian God exists because you feel we don't have a satisfactory explanation of how human beings came into existence ?
Not Christian God specifically sir, I mean a Creator/Originator kind of God. Also medical science is going in the direction of an intelligent designer with regards to origin of existence of humans. In conclusion, in addition to non satisfactory alternative explanation, science is pointing in direction of an intelligent designer. A typical example is the kidney, there is no explanation of it's existence aside an intelligent designer without sounding stupid
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Hermes119: 1:51pm On May 20, 2022
seunH:
Not Christian God specifically sir, I mean a Creator/Originator kind of God. Also medical science is going in the direction of an intelligent designer with regards to origin of existence of humans. In conclusion, in addition to non satisfactory alternative explanation, science is pointing in direction of an intelligent designer. A typical example is the kidney, there is no explanation of it's existence aside an intelligent designer without sounding stupid
Okay
So what is the origin of the intelligent designer ?

1 Like

Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by seunH: 3:24pm On May 20, 2022
Hermes119:

Okay
So what is the origin of the intelligent designer ?
The intelligent designer is THE ORIGIN. Ask me why? The reason is this, if we ask who created the intelligent designer, we would be forced to ask again, who created the person who created the intelligent designer, then we would go on and on and on, till infinity. And you know the result if that be the case? we would never had been in existence or our existence would have been infinite. But opposite is the case here, our existence is finite (16 billion years ago), meaning that an entity capable of originating but not itself originated (exists outside the realm of been created) started this whole process, and that is why we are here. Something had to start this whole process and that something should exist outside the realm of that process and not subjected to the law of such process
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by seunH: 3:28pm On May 20, 2022
I hope you understand sir
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Hermes119: 4:05pm On May 20, 2022
seunH:
The intelligent designer is THE ORIGIN. Ask me why? The reason is this, if we ask who created the intelligent designer, we would be forced to ask again, who created the person who created the intelligent designer, then we would go on and on and on, till infinity. And you know the result if that be the case? we would never had been in existence or our existence would have been infinite. But opposite is the case here, our existence is finite (16 billion years ago), meaning that an entity capable of originating but not itself originated (exists outside the realm of been created) started this whole process, and that is why we are here. Something had to start this whole process and that something should exist outside the realm of that process and not subjected to the law of such process
Interesting !
I don't know how to play my cards now cos I have so many
The problem with the intelligent design argument is that you guys contradict youselves. If humans are too complex to exist spontaneously how come the designer who is far more complex than humans came into the picture spontaneously. The argument for an intelligent designer is basically hinged on our complexity so the more complex an entity or system is the more unlikely that it started existing spontaneously so if that applies to humans it should also apply to the intelligent designer who is far more complex,the presence of the infinite regression like you pointed out is the flaw in your argument how you expect me to dismiss it is ridiculous,if you base your argument for God on the complexity thing I have the right to apply the same argument for your God
But even if I agree that a first cause was responsible for the existence of the universe,the first cause can be an infinite number of things,it could be something devoid of emotion or feelings,it could be something that humans can not comprehend,it could be DEAD !

P.s. Your reason for dismissing the obvious flaw in your argument ; infinite regression is to avoid ending in infinity but that is exactly what the first cause is an infinity with no beginning or end,does infinity make sense to you,but you accept it nonetheless

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by seunH: 5:07pm On May 20, 2022
Hermes119:

Interesting !
I don't know how to play my cards now cos I have so many
The problem with the intelligent design argument is that you guys contradict youselves. If humans are too complex to exist spontaneously how come the designer who is far more complex than humans came into the picture spontaneously. The argument for an intelligent designer is basically hinged on our complexity so the more complex an entity or system is the more unlikely that it started existing spontaneously so if that applies to humans it should also apply to the intelligent designer who is far more complex,the presence of the infinite regression like you pointed out is the flaw in your argument how you expect me to dismiss it is ridiculous,if you base your argument for God on the complexity thing I have the right to apply the same argument for your God
But even if I agree that a first cause was responsible for the existence of the universe,the first cause can be an infinite number of things,it could be something devoid of emotion or feelings,it could be something that humans can not comprehend,it could be DEAD !

P.s. Your reason for dismissing the obvious flaw in your argument ; infinite regression is to avoid ending in infinity but that is exactly what the first cause is an infinity with no beginning or end,does infinity make sense to you,but you accept it nonetheless
My dear Bros, this is not a game or competition sir, we are 2 learned adults trying to learn from each other.

"If humans are too complex to exist spontaneously how come the designer who is far more complex than humans came into the picture spontaneously"

Take note sir, I never claimed the creator originated spontaneously. What I said was that the originator exists outside our realm and not subjected to the laws of our realm. In addition, there is no way we can grasp the full nature of this creator since we are still confined within this realm and the creator exists outside this realm. Let me give you an instance, you were born and breed in big box, all your existence is confined inside that box. My brother, if you want to look for the origin of that box, would you look inside the box or outside the box?

"The argument for an intelligent designer is basically hinged on our complexity so the more complex an entity or system is the more unlikely that it started existing spontaneously so if that applies to humans it should also apply to the intelligent designer who is far more complex"

That's wrong boss, the argument of an intelligent designer is based on a lot things sir, what you stated is just a fraction. For instance ID is also based on irreducible complexity (remember my kidney example), origin of species, information theory (which is a death knell for atheists- science has proven that despite having our organs well designed and positioned in the right places in our bodies, it needs to be programmed to work and function the way they do, that their existence doesn't indicate functionality, so who programed it? topic for another day) etc

" If you base your argument for God on the complexity thing I have the right to apply the same argument for your God"

But you can't fully know the nature of my God, because his existence transcends our realm, if the creator is confined within our realm, then you have the right to ask for evidence of origin and full nature

"But even if I agree that a first cause was responsible for the existence of the universe,the first cause can be an infinite number of things,it could be something devoid of emotion or feelings,it could be something that humans can not comprehend,it could be DEAD"

I think this is the only point I'm tempted to agree with you, but at this point, this is now subjected to your individual belief and this is where religion comes to play. If your first cause is a flying spaghetti monster, Zeus, Brahma etc, it is subjected to your personal belief

"Your reason for dismissing the obvious flaw in your argument ; infinite regression is to avoid ending in infinity but that is exactly what the first cause is an infinity with no beginning or end,does infinity make sense to you,but you accept it nonetheless"

No sir, you're getting it wrong. I wasn't the one who dismissed infinite regression nor avoided ending in infinity, SCIENCE DID!!!. Science told us that 17 Billion years ago, the universe was an empty vacuum without form. 1 billion years later, the universe sprang into existence, meaning the universe and our existence has a date hence FINITE.
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Hermes119: 5:51pm On May 20, 2022
seunH:
My dear Bros, this is not a game or competition sir, we are 2 learned adults trying to learn from each other.

"If humans are too complex to exist spontaneously how come the designer who is far more complex than humans came into the picture spontaneously"

Take note sir, I never claimed the creator originated spontaneously. What I said was that the originator exists outside our realm and not subjected to the laws of our realm. In addition, there is no way we can grasp the full nature of this creator since we are still confined within this realm and the creator exists outside this realm. Let me give you an instance, you were born and breed in big box, all your existence is confined inside that box. My brother, if you want to look for the origin of that box, would you look inside the box or outside the box?

"The argument for an intelligent designer is basically hinged on our complexity so the more complex an entity or system is the more unlikely that it started existing spontaneously so if that applies to humans it should also apply to the intelligent designer who is far more complex"

That's wrong boss, the argument of an intelligent designer is based on a lot things sir, what you stated is just a fraction. For instance ID is also based on irreducible complexity (remember my kidney example), origin of species, information theory (which is a death knell for atheists- science has proven that despite having our organs well designed and positioned in the right places in our bodies, it needs to be programmed to work and function the way they do, that their existence doesn't indicate functionality, so who programed it? topic for another day) etc

" If you base your argument for God on the complexity thing I have the right to apply the same argument for your God"

But you can't fully know the nature of my God, because his existence transcends our realm, if the creator is confined within our realm, then you have the right to ask for evidence of origin and full nature

"But even if I agree that a first cause was responsible for the existence of the universe,the first cause can be an infinite number of things,it could be something devoid of emotion or feelings,it could be something that humans can not comprehend,it could be DEAD"

I think this is the only point I'm tempted to agree with you, but at this point, this is now subjected to your individual belief and this is where religion comes to play. If your first cause is a flying spaghetti monster, Zeus, Brahma etc, it is subjected to your personal belief

"Your reason for dismissing the obvious flaw in your argument ; infinite regression is to avoid ending in infinity but that is exactly what the first cause is an infinity with no beginning or end,does infinity make sense to you,but you accept it nonetheless"

No sir, you're getting it wrong. I wasn't the one who dismissed infinite regression nor avoided ending in infinity, SCIENCE DID!!!. Science told us that 17 Billion years ago, the universe was an empty vacuum without form. 1 billion years later, the universe sprang into existence, meaning the universe and our existence has a date hence FINITE.
I can't say I agree with everything you said but I think I agree with most
I do not subscribe to the idea of intelligent designer because there may be other reasons beyond our grasp for the origin or sustenance of life if there is any such thing. I'm happy you said the nature of the First Cause is outside our scope of thinking,so even if you believe in ID you can't tell the nature of the designer or if it's still extant. Be rest assured though your argument doesn't give any credence to your Christian faith
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by seunH: 5:57pm On May 20, 2022
Hermes119:

I can't say I agree with everything you said but I think I agree with most
I do not subscribe to the idea of intelligent designer because there may be other reasons beyond our grasp for the origin or sustenance of life if there is any such thing. I'm happy you said the nature of the First Cause is outside our scope of thinking,so even if you believe in ID you can't tell the nature of the designer or if it's still extant. Be rest assured though your argument doesn't give any credence to your Christian faith
I'm so sorry, I'm not a Christian sir!!!
Re: Epic Of Gilgamesh, The First Story Of The Flood by Hermes119: 6:32pm On May 20, 2022
seunH:
I'm so sorry, I'm not a Christian sir!!!
What are you then

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Uniport Resumption Date For Regulars Postponed / Meet The Richest Students In University Of Lagos (unilag) Nigeria / Photos Al-hikmah University, Ilorin Fifth Convocation Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.