Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job (15522 Views)

I Finally Quit My Bank Job For Bolt Driving / Why I resigned my bank Job for bread-hawking -HND Holder / Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job by pocohantas(f): 11:08am On Apr 28, 2022
Trymeagain:

ET is the executive trainee
MT is the management trainee...theirs are longer... its a combination of class and on the job training spanning over 15 - 21 months

What bank does that please? Because I am sure I have seen banks take high level officers and none of this happened. Lol @ 21months. Even ETs do OTJ.

Paramountgift:

Thanks it does answer my question.
But which training did you go through to be able to work across 3 commercial banks in a space of 5 years?
Entry level training program?

You don’t need any special training. Once you are confirmed, you can easily move across banks. It is one way bankers grow. They ask for the next level in the new bank they are going to.
The strength of your former bank, your position and achievements would also play a role in how they’ll price you. I know for sure that GTB never absorbs Fidelity staff.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job by GloriousGbola: 11:11am On Apr 28, 2022
pocohantas:

What bank does that please? Because I am sure I have seen banks take high level officers and none of this happened. Lol @ 21months. Even ETs do OTJ.

You don’t need any special training. Once you are confirmed, you can easily move across banks. It is one way bankers grow. They ask for the next level in the new bank they are going to.
The strength of your former bank, your position and achievements would also play a role in how they’ll price you. I know for sure that GTB never absorbs Fidelity staff.

Wrong though. Our firms account officer moved to GTB from fidelity.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job by pocohantas(f): 11:26am On Apr 28, 2022
GloriousGbola:

Wrong though. Our firms account officer moved to GTB from fidelity.

Had to read this again. Did he tell them he came from GT and what year was this? Something happened between GT and Fidelity few years back and GT stopped absorbing Fidelity staff. Even though Fidelity takes GT staff.
Re: What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job by GloriousGbola: 11:31am On Apr 28, 2022
pocohantas:

You are the one that is wrong. GT to Fidelity.
Not Fidelity to GT. Fidelity poaches GT staff steady and it is political, thanks to one of their EDs who was GT’s former divisional head. She left angrily to Fidelity when GT refused to make her ED and pulled out Rivers state account. A move that shook the entire GT SE/SS. After that she moved her loyalists too. GT would NEVER poach a Fidelity staff. Ask that your account officer and he would tell you for free.

Naa, This was Fidelity to GT ooo. She was our account officer. Helped us set up our company account. We wound up using fidelity because my own account officer (in stanbic) was wasting time setting up our company account.

She left late last year. The person who took over from her no sabi work. Another of our accounts (a second company) has been hanging for months and we have not been able to withdraw, only receive.

We had to call her to help sort the issue. Fingers crossed.
Re: What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job by pocohantas(f): 11:35am On Apr 28, 2022
GloriousGbola:

Naa, This was Fidelity to GT ooo. She was our account officer. Helped us set up our company account. We wound up using fidelity because my own account officer (in stanbic) was wasting time setting up our company account.

She left late last year. The person who took over from her no sabi work. Another of our accounts (a second company) has been hanging for months and we have not been able to withdraw, only receive.

We had to call her to help sort the issue. Fingers crossed.

I edited that post. I am lost. She was your account officer? As in, your bank account officer left as a CORE STAFF from Fidelity to GTB? I know for sure that GTB doesn’t absorb Fidelity staff. Except your account officer started afresh in GT, deleted Fidelity from her CV, was a contract staff in Fidelity or probably the first Fidelity staff to break that jinx.
Re: What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job by GloriousGbola: 11:37am On Apr 28, 2022
pocohantas:

I edited that post. I am lost. She was your account officer? As in, your bank account officer left as a CORE STAFF from Fidelity to GTB? I know for sure that GTB doesn’t absorb Fidelity staff. Except your account officer started afresh in GT, deleted Fidelity from her CV, was a contract staff in Fidelity or probably the first Fidelity staff to break that jinx.

Nope. It is like you said. She is now in a higher position at GT bank. Maybe her game is tight.
Re: What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job by pocohantas(f): 11:38am On Apr 28, 2022
GloriousGbola:

Nope. It is like you said. She is now in a higher position at GT bank. Maybe her game is tight.

Just maybe… Or maybe they have resolved their issues. Then I should go tell me friends that the coast is now clear.
Re: What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job by Pootle: 2:41pm On Apr 28, 2022
the thing is females use thier kpekus to get preferential treatment
Jamoojazzy:
This is not what he asked you.

It's not all bankers that sleep with their Bosses, and it's not all Boss that are interested in sleeping with their subordinate, Stop this unnecessary allegations against female bankers, stop painting them black. Stop damaging their reputation, it's not a crime for ladies or Women to work in financial institutions irrespective of her department.

One thing is certain, Anybody that want to be flirt or Womanize will definitely do that, irrespective of the organization he/she works with. So it's more of personal choice not Generic, so not all bankers are flirt.

I left my banking job February this year (2months ago) and it's because I got a better offer with a UK Based Software/Healthcare Company. I work across 3 commercial banks within 5years.

So as for the person that asked question, you don't need any extra qualification to work in a bank, whether as core staff or outsourced, Your degree in any field has qualified you to be a Banker, You'll be trained specifically on the role, you are employed for. So after that if you have time & resources to further, you can then go ahead. I studied Education Economics and today I can compete with graduates of different disciplines. Go for it if you have passion for Banking, but mind you it's not an eazy place to work, very stressful, I hope this answer your Questions
Re: What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job by wisdomedozie: 10:47pm On Apr 28, 2022
Dear op,

Bank jobs are pretty generic. They're not so specialized. You can study any course to work in a bank and you don't need a post graduate degree.
Contrary to popular beliefs, bank jobs are one of the easiest to get on merit (without connections) but a number of factors come into play:

1. Your age: most banks set the entry level age limit between 24 and 27 years

2. Class of degree: 4 out of every 5 banks will require a minimum of 2:1

3. Aptitude Tests: This is what disqualifies most candidates. A lot of graduates know next to nothing about aptitude tests. They could take a number of formats:
-GMAT
-GRE
-SHL
-Abstract Reasoning
These tests require a lot of practice to build proficiency if you don't have a math background. That's why you find a lot of engineering graduates in banks

4. Information
Almost all banks recruit at least once a year and these opportunities are posted on several job sites

5. Assessment Centers
This involves group discussions and tasks that usually culminate in a presentation by members of a group. Your presentation skills could stand some improvement

In summary, banking may not as attractive as it used to be in the early 2000s, however it can serve as a launch pad into the corporate world. It is also worthy of note that there are other departments in the bank asides operations and marketing. The best time to start preparing for a bank job is while you're in school. Learn about the aptitude tests, get the best grades you can, learn how to write CVs and cover letters, create a profile on LinkedIn, meet bankers or friends that have siblings or relatives that are bankers.

PS: Feel free to contact me for materials on the aptitude tests

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job by Paramountgift(f): 12:45am On Apr 29, 2022
wisdomedozie:
Dear op,

Bank jobs are pretty generic. They're not so specialized. You can study any course to work in a bank and you don't need a post graduate degree.
Contrary to popular beliefs, bank jobs are one of the easiest to get on merit (without connections) but a number of factors come into play:

1. Your age: most banks set the entry level age limit between 24 and 27 years

2. Class of degree: 4 out of every 5 banks will require a minimum of 2:1

3. Aptitude Tests: This is what disqualifies most candidates. A lot of graduates know next to nothing about aptitude tests. They could take a number of formats:
-GMAT
-GRE
-SHL
-Abstract Reasoning
These tests require a lot of practice to build proficiency if you don't have a math background. That's why you find a lot of engineering graduates in banks

4. Information
Almost all banks recruit at least once a year and these opportunities are posted on several job sites

5. Assessment Centers
This involves group discussions and tasks that usually culminate in a presentation by members of a group. Your presentation skills could stand some improvement

In summary, banking may not as attractive as it used to be in the early 2000s, however it can serve as a launch pad into the corporate world. It is also worthy of note that there are other departments in the bank asides operations and marketing. The best time to start preparing for a bank job is while you're in school. Learn about the aptitude tests, get the best grades you can, learn how to write CVs and cover letters, create a profile on LinkedIn, meet bankers or friends that have siblings or relatives that are bankers.

PS: Feel free to contact me for materials on the aptitude tests

Thanks for this
Re: What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job by MrEja: 7:27pm On Jul 21, 2022
pocohantas:

Those are the stages;

Application - aptitude test- interviews - banking school - start work

Every bank has a banking school for CORE STAFF. Mostly in Lagos/PH and Abj. You probably do not hear of it because most bankers these days are on contract. So they only do induction or learn on the job.

Training school is 2-4months. I am not sure I have seen any that is more than that. smiley

Hey Poco, Please what's the best way one can prepare for banks aptitude test?? Would appreciate a response.
Re: What Are The Requirements To Apply For A Bank Job by pocohantas(f): 9:58pm On Jul 21, 2022
MrEja:

hHey Poco, Please what's the best way one can prepare for banks aptitude test?? Would appreciate a response.

Hello!

It depends on the bank. Different banks have different test formats, but it would most likely be a mix of English, Maths and Quantitative Reasoning. I would advise you to check Nairaland Job & Vacancies. There are threads there on different banks and it would guide you better.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN To Banks: Don’t Give Sensitive Roles To Contract Staff / How To Increase Your Income In Nigeria / Nigerian Doctors Defend Yourselves From Smooth-Talking Medical Jobbbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.