Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,189 members, 7,957,444 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:42 PM

Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University (13344 Views)

Graduate -why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job - / Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job / Number One Online Banking For Nigerians! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by bountimore: 7:44am On Jul 19, 2011
hun, well made my VISA application yesterday for an MBA at the UNiversity of NOrthampton, I will be leaving my I.T job too!, Well all in all i belive in Myself and i no things will work out good
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by debosky(m): 4:29pm On Jul 19, 2011
There's no need getting all puritanical finecat. The fact is, most people choose courses to study in university based on the perceived prestige and financial benefits they offer, not because they want to 'innovate'.

Human beings will always seek a way to better themselves, especially if they are unsatisfied with their current circumstances. Some doctors and engineers may have had the luxury of remaining 'faithful' to their degrees, while others didn't. There is no hard and fast rule to this - each person will try to find a path that best suits him/her.

The fact that others didn't take a path doesn't make those that choose to do so any less worthy of respect.
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by AjanleKoko: 4:30pm On Jul 19, 2011
debosky:

There's no need getting all puritanical finecat. The fact is, most people choose courses to study in university based on the perceived prestige and financial benefits they offer, not because they want to 'innovate'.

Human beings will always seek a way to better themselves, especially if they are unsatisfied with their current circumstances. Some doctors and engineers may have had the luxury of remaining 'faithful' to their degrees, while others didn't. There is no hard and fast rule to this - each person will try to find a path that best suits him/her.

The fact that others didn't take a path doesn't make those that choose to do so any less worthy of respect.

Well said.
After all, the whole point of everything is to eat. That's the real reason why we do anything. Else I'd have gone to the seminary in my teens.
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by gunpoint(m): 11:09pm On Jul 19, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Well said.
After all, the whole point of everything is to eat. That's the real reason why we do anything. Else I'd have gone to the seminary in my teens.

My broda tell dem oh!!!
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by vkings: 12:55am On Jul 20, 2011
@OP,

Please, read this

I am a petroleum engineering graduate from HWU with very good results. I also have very good results from my undergraduates.I have attended numerous interviews in the UK and a few in Nigeria. The problem I had with the UK coys were that the white guys performed as well as I did but were preferred. For nigerian companies, they don't even bother to invite me for test but I later found out the reason for this when I sneaked in to write all the numerous recruitment stages for an oil services coy in PH. Apparently, they didn't feel too comfortable with my MSc. I settled for a factory job over there in the UK which I did for about 2 years. Right now, I am unemployed here and currently in Nigeria.

Having an MSc from the UK and returning to nigeria without a job is one of the worst things that can happen to a graduate. I have gone through the personal depression stage that it doesn't shake me anymore. Right now as I speak, I have applied to all kinds of coys because my immediate goal is to survive. I use the factory job experience (having packaged my CV without my MSc appearing) to apply for supervisor position in manufacturing/production companies which is yielding fruit stage by stage. It might interest you to also know that I am about to take up a banking job just to survive. The moment any of the engineering coys come calling, I'm off.

However, I'm still trying out the O&G coys with the hope that something is still possible (hopefully after the passage of the PIB).
I'm just thirty.

My brother, a bird in hand is worth a million in the bush. Be wise, suspend going for MSc in the UK whether it's highly rated or not, I have VERY MANY colleagues like me who even have experience with MSc from Imperial and are still job hunting.
I'm not saying you cannot get a job with your MSc but UK is the wrongest place to go for studies now.

I 'm not you but if I were, with my banking experience, I'll apply for an MBA or a course in supply chain in CANADA not even US(because of the unemployment rate that keeps hitting the highest point) and get a PR which they'll give you after your study. Hence you can do whatever you want to do. Canada is also not too good because the cost of living is similar to that of the UK but it's better compared to the UK and US.

As for me, I don't think I'm going anywhere again except for visits,I've been to the UK and US. I think my destiny lies here in my home country. I'm very close to clinching my jobs after about 3 years. E no easy o. Depression get levels grin.

Most importantly, make a soul search and also ask God where your destiny lies.

A cousin of mine said just like Ajanlekoko has said earlier that the most important thing is that there's food on the table. The guy who also mentioned settling down made some sense.

Please, I'm not here to discourage you but just being realistic from my experience and many others.

THE WORLD IS RAPIDLY CHANGING AND I'LL LIKE TO END WITH WHAT SOMEBODY SAID SOMEWHERE(CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE)
"The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The wise adjusts the sails".

God bless you.
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by violent(m): 9:07pm On Jul 20, 2011
^^^

I hope the OP can read this and LEARN!!!!!

I have friends who resigned from their 240 grand a month job at ETB in late 2009 for a Masters in UK, some of them are back in Nigeria after not being able to secure a job in the UK. . .and to make matters worse, their bank says they ren't recruiting and even if they re, they might have to settle for a lower pay!
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by bountimore: 9:14pm On Jul 20, 2011
@violent

so haven't we had people who came back and got a better job as well undecided
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by violent(m): 9:25pm On Jul 20, 2011
bountimore:

@violent

so haven't we had people who came back and got a better job as well undecided

I am using the sample size of the people that i know. . . and i challenge you to give a sincere statistics from the people that you know that got better jobs in their field, either in the UK or here in Nigeria, immediately after their MSc from a Uni that hardly anyone ever hears of!

If such people exist (undoubtedly they do), I'd bet my breakfast it will be only 1 in every 50 MSc holder----->most of whom already had strong connections!

If you have strong networks, then it might be worth it, but if you re hoping that the MSc will help you get a job, it's a long long shot!
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by bountimore: 9:51pm On Jul 20, 2011
@violent
well basically we gat different opinions and views, as well as life experiences that affects our decisions most of the time, taking decisions all boils down to making some calculated risks really like someone said earlier.

Ain't there chances he could get an excellent job afterwards?, and equally it could be the other way round, or take time before he lands a job back? so most importantly its about calculating ur risks, have ur stand!, know what u want and have a reason, we are different u know!, then in this kind of matter AGE matters alot, a younger aged guy/lady's got a better chance atleast with a younger age u can easily adjust ur mistakes, i bet! and more time ahead atleast to get a grip!
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by AjanleKoko: 9:54pm On Jul 20, 2011
bountimore:

@violent
well basically we gat different opinions and views, as well as life experiences that affects our decisions most of the time, taking decisions all boils down to making some calculated risks really like someone said earlier.

Ain't there chances he could get an excellent job afterwards?, and equally it could be the other way round, or take time before he lands a job back? so most importantly its about calculating your risks, have your stand!, know what u want and have a reason, we are different u know!, then in this kind of matter AGE matters alot, a younger aged guy/lady's got a better chance atleast with a younger age u can easily adjust your mistakes, i bet! and more time ahead atleast to get a grip!

A lot of you guys seem to think life is a lottery. undecided

It's not, really. These days, the overlying circumstances are hard to ignore. A global depression, the resurgence of immigration issues . . . they're too factual to ignore.
I tend to agree with violent. If you really look at the odds, you are in fact playing a lottery. As the Good Book said, you need to count the cost.
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by bountimore: 10:05pm On Jul 20, 2011
*DEEP SIGH*, whatever!, everyone owns his/her life!
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by favouredjb(f): 7:46pm On Jul 22, 2011
very isightful post and useful advice
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by Nobody: 3:25am On Jul 23, 2011
, got me even more confused than the OP, especially since after a first degree in Microbiology, an MBA, 4 years in Banking (and counting) and in my mid-20s, i'm thinking of going for Nursing in Canada! undecided lipsrsealed sad ,

Whew!!!

Educative post, nonetheless!
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by AjanleKoko: 9:57pm On Jul 23, 2011
sexyme:

, got me even more confused than the OP, especially since after a first degree in Microbiology, an MBA, 4 years in Banking (and counting) and in my mid-20s, i'm thinking of going for Nursing in Canada! undecided lipsrsealed sad ,

Whew!!!

Nursing in Canada is more realistic than petroleum engineering in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by debosky(m): 10:01pm On Jul 23, 2011
Mircrobiology to MBA to 4 years in banking, now Nursing?

You're definitely more confused than the OP - why such drastic career moves?
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by UpDates1(m): 8:43am On Jul 25, 2011
:p :p
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by gunpoint(m): 12:24am On Jul 29, 2011
@sexyme; nursing in Canada is definitely better than where I find myself, and you really do still sound pretty young, so I'd say go for it.

@all; our people say pesin wey dey ask directions no dey loss
All your advice have been very valuable, when I'm done considering my position I will come with more questions for ya'll.
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by gunpoint(m): 6:39pm On Oct 08, 2011
Was @ london southbank uni yesterday, it isn't as horrific as lots of people painted it but on the other hand the jobs really ain't here in the UK anymore. . .
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by debosky(m): 11:11pm On Oct 08, 2011
^^
I don't think anyone said the University was in a terrible physical state, the concerns were more around how the degree would be regarded compared to other better reputation schools.

So did you decide to leave your banking job and enrol in LSB or did you just go for a visit?
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by feelamong(m): 6:18pm On Oct 14, 2011
sexyme:

Whew!!!

Better go for this one….in the mist of all the depression, the Health sector still remains very robust in terms of job retension……

But are you sure you would like to be theatre nurse? Omo, Na long hrs with some funny looking doctors eying your cleavage… grin
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by mimi234: 10:57pm On Nov 06, 2011
On my quest to find out more information on Queen's university in Canada as I want to do my masters coming from the UK, I found this thread lol

Please please please poster DO NOT COME to London South Bank, as many people have said, in the UK the majority of firms especially the big firms filter candidates by which university they attend, even with top grades, high scores in the online tests etc only a few people and I mean a few people outside the top 20 universities make it through the recruitment of these big firms - I'm talking from experience of the recruiting process in the investment banking industry but I'm sure oil companies etc are just as competitive.

Especially with the fact that your a foreigner and with a 2.2 in your first degree, its almost a recipe for disaster. If you can't get into top 20 uni don't bother not just because of employment prospects but also because these degrees are not cheap.

I think your better of networking in Nigeria via people you know and try get a job in the O&G industry - you know the saying 'its not what you know its who you know'. I've lived in the UK all my like London South Bank are for the kids that didn't make the grades and to be honest its even worse because even mid-rank uni's don't ask for very high grades i.e LSB is really for people who failed there alevels or thereabouts.

Please think twice.

On a lighter note can people advise me on Queen's university in Canada - I want to do my masters there but its ranked quite low so i'm still contemplating.
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by DisGuy: 11:23pm On Nov 06, 2011
thought universities in Canada don't do rankings
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by mimi234: 12:03am On Nov 07, 2011
Dis Guy:

thought universities in Canada don't do rankings

They don't but looking at the world rankings on uni of toronto and Mcgill comes in the top 50, Queen's university comes in at #144 and because many of UK universities that I can easily get into are higher up in this ranking i'm a bit apprehensive but i really wanna study abroad, decisions deccisions decisions, cry
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by violent(m): 12:13am On Nov 07, 2011
mimi234:

They don't but looking at the world rankings on uni of toronto and Mcgill comes in the top 50, Queen's university comes in at #144 and because many of UK universities that I can easily get into are higher up in this ranking i'm a bit apprehensive but i really wanna study abroad, decisions deccisions decisions,  cry

Canada isn't your best bet mate!. . it's is hardly a financial hub, and my guess is no one outside Canada would be very impressed with your degree.

If you are bent on living ol'ugly Britain, a top 10 US school will do you wonders than vodka plus ecstasy combined!
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by mimi234: 12:31am On Nov 07, 2011
violent:

Canada isn't your best bet mate!. . it's is hardly a financial hub, and my guess is no one outside Canada would be very impressed with your degree.

If you are bent on living ol'ugly Britain, a top 10 US school will do you wonders than vodka plus ecstasy combined!

I know but the top US schools are really expensive we are talking of $40k+ on tuition fees alone and as an international student I'll to pay for visa accommodation living expenses etc, I already have student debt and i'm not looking to get into any more debt, thats why I am looking else where undecided
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by violent(m): 12:37am On Nov 07, 2011
mimi234:

I know but the top US schools are really expensive we are talking of $40k+ on tuition fees alone and as an international student I'll to pay for visa accommodation living expenses etc, I already have student debt and i'm not looking to get into any more debt, thats why I am looking else where  undecided

If you have student debts to pay, why rush for a masters now? Having a masters these days will not set you apart from a BSc graduate really, except if the Masters is from a red brick

There's no point doing your masters at the University of "where the he[/i]ll[i] is that" simply because the best ones are more expensive.  There's no cheap lunch anywhere, not especially in a world riddled with competition and in which employers can afford to employ "premium" candidates for cheap!. . . .it's sad, yes, but hey, that's the real world!

I'd advise that you chill out a bit and try getting some experience under your belt,  you could start building on skills that will set you apart, like programming skills or language skills, it will probably be the best decision you've ever made.
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by mimi234: 12:52am On Nov 07, 2011
violent:

If you have student debts to pay, why rush for a masters now?  Having a masters these days will not set you apart from a BSc graduate really, except if the Masters is from a red brick

There's no point doing your masters at the University of "where the he[/i]ll[i] is that" simply because the best ones are more expensive.  There's no cheap lunch anywhere, not especially in a world riddled with competition and in which employers can afford to employ "premium" candidates for cheap!. . . .it's sad, yes, but hey, that's the real world!

I'd advise that you chill out a bit and try getting some experience under your belt,  you could start building on skills that will set you apart, like programming skills or language skills, it will probably be the best decision you've ever made.

hmmm very solid advice. I might think this master thing over because I really want to do it abroad and it seems as the best universities are either in the states or the UK which is frustrating. I'm currently trying to secure an internship as its easier to get onto a grad program that route. I'm currently in that phase where every job wants experience but as a fresh grad I don't have experience - catch 22!!
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by violent(m): 1:21am On Nov 07, 2011
mimi234:

hmmm very solid advice. I might think this master thing over because I really want to do it abroad and it seems as the best universities are either in the states or the UK which is frustrating. I'm currently trying to secure an internship as its easier to get onto a grad program that route. I'm currently in that phase where every job wants experience but as a fresh grad I don't have experience - catch 22!!

I know how that feels like, have you considered an unpaid internship? i know it doesn't sound morally right, but it's probably a better way to spend your time while keeping your eyes out for sound opportunity.  The market these days is just as ugly as it comes and the sad news is, it's not likely to improve anytime soon.
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by mimi234: 1:39am On Nov 07, 2011
Aww brilliant I'll call up tomorrow thanks for the info bro really appreciate it. Its frustrating this job hunting,
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by Laajman(m): 12:41am On Nov 08, 2011
@mimi234 - feel free to drop me a few lines before you commence your Queen's application.
Maybe I could give you a tip or two.
Laajman@yahoo.ca
Re: Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University by debosky(m): 5:31pm On Nov 11, 2011
@ violent

Queens University is not a University of [i]Where is That [/i]oh.  tongue I know excellent people who have attended that school - though it's not one of the 'common' ones for naija folk to target, it is a very good uni in a fairly low cost location to study.

Secondly, Canadian Universities do rankings - not just in the conventional fashion. They rank in three categories - primarily undergrad universities, comprehensive universities and medical/doctoral universities. In the latter category Queen's is No 4.

http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2011/10/26/macleans-2011-university-rankings-2/

On the other hand, don't place too much emphasis on rankings without understanding the methodology behind it - a rank in itself is not of much use if it doesn't relate to the course you are interested in doing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please Is It Adviseable To Acquire A Skill In Plumbing / Which Is The Best Professional Certification Program For Arts Related Courses / How May Father Was Sacked Without Any Prior Notice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.