Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,120 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! (18560 Views)

Buhari Recalls Narrow Escape From Mob At Prayer Ground / Have you heard of this - Be informed, it's so real / Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by gigiddon: 11:29am On Jul 11, 2011
Dear all ,

I concurred with Simpledude. Guaranty Trust Bank's ATMs are very secure. I always feel comfortable using them. This case if true may be a one-off. I hope people in the Bank are reading this , so that they could take precautionary measures if the case happens to be true.

While this post seems educative , but the intention is not so clear. This poster seems to know a little bit more than the average person on skimming and skimmers. Playing the devil's advocate here , could this poster be checking out GTB's defense mechanism against skimming? Does he want to know more about what the Bank has put in place to safeguard its customers?

We have all become more educated on ATM security by this post , and we will be more watchful and vigilant so that we do not fall victims of these bad boys.

But , the real intention of the poster is a little bit unclear to me .
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by palma(f): 11:33am On Jul 11, 2011
This is unbelievable. I knw GTBank has anti-skimmers on their ATMs (I started noticing this recently) to protect cards from skimming. The scammers must have noticed a vulnerability with the particular ATM. We need to inform GTBank about this ASAP. I'm sure they will act accordingly to prevent future cases.

@ OP,
Thks for the information and the action taken. Your spidey sense really works.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by texazzpete(m): 11:45am On Jul 11, 2011
gigiddon:

Dear all ,

I concurred with Simpledude. Guaranty Trust Bank's ATMs are very secure. I always feel comfortable using them. This case if true may be a one-off. I hope people in the Bank are reading this , so that they could take precautionary measures if the case happens to be true.

While this post seems educative , but the intention is not so clear. This poster seems to know a little bit more than the average person on skimming and skimmers. Playing the devil's advocate here , could this poster be checking out GTB's defense mechanism against skimming? Does he want to know more about what the Bank has put in place to safeguard its customers?

We have all become more educated on ATM security by this post , and we will be more watchful and vigilant so that we do not fall victims of these bad boys.

But , the real intention of the poster is a little bit unclear to me .

So we should believe you, Mr-one-post-on-Nairaland?
The real intention of your birth is a little bit unclear to me too. Was it to increase the number of re'tards in Nigeria?
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by gigiddon: 11:50am On Jul 11, 2011
This is the real reason why I hardly visit Nairaland.

Cant we all remain civil even in the heat of a discussion?
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by londoner: 11:53am On Jul 11, 2011
This has been a problem for a while in the UK. It is not a "Nigerian" thing. The devices are made mainly by Eastern Europeans and Asians, not that that makes it any better though.

For years now, even in places like restaurants and supermarkets, the staff members have been caught using these skimmers and passing on the information to criminal syndicates. They also target ATM machines here.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by POTUT(m): 12:00pm On Jul 11, 2011
Thought the new cards were [i]un[/i]clonable?
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by texazzpete(m): 12:00pm On Jul 11, 2011
gigiddon:

This is the real reason why I hardly visit Nairaland.  

Cant we all remain civil even in the heat of a discussion?

You hardly visit Nairaland? Good! We aren't missing much.
Some of us remember the good old days when the Politics section was filled with intelligent discourse. We now see chaff like you posting foolish tripe here. Zero tolerance to imbecility is our watchword  grin
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by juman(m): 12:15pm On Jul 11, 2011
@Poster, thank God for you o, you didn't lose any money.

If there is any bulge out from an ATM machine or if any ATM machine look suspicious or look any slight abnormal don’t use it, probably it’s unsafe.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by abes(m): 12:41pm On Jul 11, 2011
POTUT:

You don't need a physical card to shop online, do you?
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by gigiddon: 12:44pm On Jul 11, 2011
@texazzpete, I will attempt as much as possible to engage you without degenerating to your language levels.

While I believe that skimming is a global phenomenon that can happen anywhere , but the poster's story sounded too good to be true, which was why I questioned his motives.

Time was 9:30pm and in an open and dangerous environment like Anthony , I expect any sane person to be really afraid , rather than engaging in investigative journalism such as what the poster claimed happened. There was so much drama in the narration and I just felt we should raise some questions which the poster can do all of us a favour by answering.

The poster has done more than enough by bringing this phenomenon back into our consciousness and should be appreciated as such . I have also taking this further by forwarding  this thread to my friends at First Bank , Diamond Bank , GTB and Zenith so that they can all be vigilant.

I noticed all what GTBank has done in recent times against the fraudsters , and we should encourage all other Banks to follow suite if they hadnt started yet.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by mrarc1: 12:46pm On Jul 11, 2011
hello all, i've been wondering when this particular scam will get to 9ja, please be vigilant while using atms, atm card skeemers DONT WORK ALONE, the card skeemer scans your card for your account number while an overhead but hidden camera picks up your pin number as you punch it in, with this information your card can be duplicated and your account emptied asap, make it a habit to cover your hand with a piece of paper or your wallet when punching in your pin number.  grin
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by blacklion(m): 12:48pm On Jul 11, 2011
Alert! PR shills in full force grin
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by agitator: 12:53pm On Jul 11, 2011
POTUT:

there are devices that can clone your gsm sim card, dstv smartcard, etc. So the device may have the ability to extract the information from the chip on you card, capture the card no and the camera take a picture/video of your pin number.

Op thank you for this information.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Intrepid1(m): 12:55pm On Jul 11, 2011
gigiddon:

@texazzpete, I will attempt as much as possible to engage you without degenerating to your language levels.

While I believe that skimming is a global phenomenon that can happen anywhere , but the poster's story sounded too good to be true, which was why I questioned his motives.

Time was 9:30pm and in an open and dangerous environment like Anthony , I expect any sane person to be really afraid , rather than engaging in investigative journalism such as what the poster claimed happened. There was so much drama in the narration and I just felt we should raise some questions which the poster can do all of us a favour by answering.

The poster has done more than enough by bringing this phenomenon back into our consciousness and should be appreciated as such . I have also taking this further by forwarding  this thread to my friends at First Bank , Diamond Bank , GTB and Zenith so that they can all be vigilant.

I noticed all what GTBank has done in recent times against the fraudsters , and we should encourage all other Banks to follow suite if they hadnt started yet.

[b]It thoroughly gets my goat that I am risking (possibly) my life to share an experience I passed through, in the hope that the information provided will help people protect themselves better against fraudsters, and some people jump on the thread and question my motives. I gave a full account of what went down that day without holding anything back. I didn't leave my house with the intention of uncovering billion-Naira frauds. All I wanted to do was withdraw my hard-earned money, and the rest is history. For your information, I live in Anthony and I know the GTB branch there is used by customers even as late as 11pm. The place is directly opposite a taxi-stand and some other commercial entities so there are always people around there till late at night. If I thought it was unsafe to use the machine, I would have come back the following morning. Please refrain from antagonizing people unnecessarily. I have been on my guard since this thing happened; your suspicious attitude is a huge disservice to me![/b]
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jul 11, 2011
texazzpete:

So we should believe you, Mr-one-post-on-Nairaland?
The real intention of your birth is a little bit unclear to me too. Was it to increase the number of re'tards in Nigeria?
Gbagaun! you spoke my mind.
Intrepid!:

[b]It thoroughly gets my goat that I am risking (possibly) my life to share an experience I passed through, in the hope that the information provided will help people protect themselves better against fraudsters, and some people jump on the thread and question my motives. I gave a full account of what went down that day without holding anything back. I didn't leave my house with the intention of uncovering billion-Naira frauds. All I wanted to do was withdraw my hard-earned money, and the rest is history. For your information, I live in Anthony and I know the GTB branch there is used by customers even as late as 11pm. The place is directly opposite a taxi-stand and some other commercial entities so there are always people around there till late at night. If I thought it was unsafe to use the machine, I would have come back the following morning. Please refrain from antagonizing people unnecessarily. I have been on my guard since this thing happened; your suspicious attitude is a huge disservice to me![/b]
Ignore the f00l
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by superior1: 1:02pm On Jul 11, 2011
Thanks poster, i will start watching it
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by gigiddon: 1:07pm On Jul 11, 2011
Thanks poster , we shall keep watching.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by atasteve: 1:42pm On Jul 11, 2011
First of all, thanks for posting such a great eye opener on this forum. Few people have access to Nairaland.

I will advise you to contact either WAZOBIA or any other FM station and possible Channels TV (make you no show your face o!!!) so that proper publicity can be accorded to this case.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by mbulela: 2:01pm On Jul 11, 2011
@OP,
thanks for the info.
you actions in this case have been praise worthy.When i started reading the thread i was worried you will be convinced to go to the Police,TV or even GTB.I am glad to hear that you did none of the above but destroyed the stuff.
This is Eastern Europe's gift to the crime world and while it is common in the western world,we know the way crime goes here.You will be surprised to find a branch where even managers will be in on the deal.That makes it harder to eliminate.
our banks need to step up the game especially when they have a policy of 'guilty until proven innocent' in the event of these sorts of crimes.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by denzel2009: 2:25pm On Jul 11, 2011
People get killed for what you just did. Anyway, you should have checked for a camera facing the keypad. I'm sure those guys picked that up already.

The skimmer just scans your card details and the camera records your PIN entry on to a memory card-like chip to be downloaded later for card cloning. This just shows Nigeria getting advanced in ATM/card related fraud.

The ATM vulnerability a friend of mine developing some ATM solutions to few banks in Nigeria is the one where the genuine card holder inserts his card, input his PIN and press the amount to withdraw- lets say 5k, the ATM brings the money out but our dear customer carefully picks substantial part of the money from the bunch still on the ATM and waits for a while till the machine automatically takes back the money and then reverses the withdrawal from the bank customer's account. This way, he would have taken like 3k without being debited.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by blackis(m): 2:37pm On Jul 11, 2011
@ Intrepid

Welldone for your act of bravery and for sharing this info with us all. Credit/debit card skimming sadly is rampant in Europe and North America and is a growing trend in other parts of the world and so people MUST be vigilant (and I mean it seriously) when using their cards for payment or for cash withdrawals on ATM's and POS terminals. As I type this, there are even tiny, sophisticated hand-held skimming devices in the market now that can be used on unsuspecting victims to 'ferry' their hard earned cash from their bank accounts without them ever suspecting anything. Again I say 'be vigilant' because there have been several such cases in the US and in the UK especially that occured in restaurants, fast food shops, petrol/gas stations, shopping malls and most ATM's not situated within bank premises.

Sadly, you'll have to prove beyond reasonable doubt to the bank that you did not pass on your details to someone else for them to ever believe you and re-imburse your account. Sadly again, this is pretty difficult to prove, isn't it??
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 11, 2011
denzel2009:

People get killed for what you just did. Anyway, you should have checked for a camera facing the keypad. I'm sure those guys picked that up already.

The skimmer just scans your card details and the camera records your PIN entry on to a memory card-like chip to be downloaded later for card cloning. This just shows Nigeria getting advanced in ATM/card related fraud.

The ATM vulnerability a friend of mine developing some ATM solutions to few banks in Nigeria is the one where the genuine card holder inserts his card, input his PIN and press the amount to withdraw- lets say 5k, the ATM brings the money out but our dear customer carefully picks substantial part of the money from the bunch still on the ATM and waits for a while till the machine automatically takes back the money and then reverses the withdrawal from the bank customer's account. This way, he would have taken like 3k without being debited.

Please modify your post and remove bolded. there are hungry people everywhere that will try your suggestion tonight. Please remove it do not argue.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by blackis(m): 2:44pm On Jul 11, 2011
@ Denzel2009

There would be enough prove to discredit his query if he tried this on an ATM machine that has a camera. Besides this, most banks situate their ATM machines within the sightings of their CCTV camera's at different angles.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Intrepid1(m): 2:44pm On Jul 11, 2011
blink182:

Please modify your post and remove bolded. there are hungry people everywhere that will try your suggestion tonight. Please remove it do not argue.

Too late  grin
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by denzel2009: 2:45pm On Jul 11, 2011
blink182:

Sorry guys they were able to resolve that. It doesn't work any more, I guess
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by denzel2009: 2:48pm On Jul 11, 2011
black is:

@ Denzel2009

There would be enough prove to discredit his query if he tried this on an ATM machine that has a camera. Besides this, most banks situate their ATM machines within the sightings of their CCTV camera's at different angles.
I think the reversal is automated. Another flaw!
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jul 11, 2011
black is:

@ Denzel2009

You should know these things are automated and there is always a way to backdoor them
Intrepid!:

Too late  grin
I don't think so.

denzel2009:

Sorry guys they were able to resolve that. It doesn't work any more, I guess
You guess? undecided OK o
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Intrepid1(m): 2:53pm On Jul 11, 2011
How many CCTVs in Nigeria work?
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Andrew3(m): 3:17pm On Jul 11, 2011
the best you can do to the device is ship it to me grin
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by joyceereal(f): 3:21pm On Jul 11, 2011
Thank God u were not hurt o, it was indeed a narrow escape. This serves as an alert to us all. Thanks. Pls go ahead and destroy that stuff
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by werepeLeri: 3:34pm On Jul 11, 2011
Intrepid!:

How many CCTVs in Nigeria work?

All of them.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by tpia5: 3:37pm On Jul 11, 2011
Please modify your post and remove bolded. there are hungry people everywhere that will try your suggestion tonight. Please remove it do not argue

if an atm machine keeps coming up short, i think this would trigger an investigation which would include reviewing camera footage and all transactions done at that particular machine.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Make Money Running A Day Care Service Business In Nigeria / How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. / Dangote Refinery Will Fetch $6bn Forex Yearly - CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.