Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,032 members, 7,838,582 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. (3213 Views)

How Do I Teach Little Children Coding? / The Right English Word For “K Leg” And Other Facts You Need To Know / Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by Danmboss(m): 10:05am On Apr 30, 2022
Op what what that word means in that sentence is that "let's be happy" not :-homosexuality

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by Elimon(m): 10:28am On Apr 30, 2022
Esseite:
Queen premier should be brought to book.. my liitle boy walked up to me asking what is "GAY" in his book, i was dumbfounded and could not even utter the word.. the sentence was even more gross...

"LET US BE GAY"... What rubbish..

Even if "GAY" could mean something else, i dont want kids learning whatever else it could mean. Who has ever used "Lets be GAY" to anyone normal in a conversation.

Wise up before you complain... Gay has a very positive meaning too

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by Nobody: 10:59am On Apr 30, 2022
SocialJustice:
Speak to people in a language they understand. Most Nigerians only understand religion and have no clue what meditation is.

I am under no obligation to teach anyone anything. I only responded to a question I was asked by a fellow who understands my language
Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by JoyousFurnitire(m): 12:41pm On Apr 30, 2022
It is very much okay for books to be revised and words to be replaced due to issues (immoral) in the society.

While adults could easily choose or identify their sexual orientation and maybe know the original meaning of a word, it's very bad to introduce kids to what they shouldn't know (especially at the learning stage).

In a sane environment, parents will request that the text book be replaced or never used.

But in my country, no. Untill wee see 10yo having fun and recording.
undecided

1 Like

Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by oilmane(m): 12:57pm On Apr 30, 2022
Esseite:
Queen premier should be brought to book.. my liitle boy walked up to me asking what is "GAY" in his book, i was dumbfounded and could not even utter the word.. the sentence was even more gross...

Even if "GAY" could mean something else, i dont want kids learning whatever else it could mean. Who has ever used "Lets be GAY" to anyone normal in a conversation.

Bro it means happy, joyous, fun filled in this passage, it doesn't have anything to do with gays

1 Like

Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by WoundedLamb: 1:24pm On Apr 30, 2022
Esseite:

So because the word gay has multiple meanings, one of which you don't like, it should be scrapped? Lol... wow

2 Likes

Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by ThatsONYI: 1:26pm On Apr 30, 2022
shocked

This book is a normal book, I read as a kid and never gave a fxck about the gay word - I just wanted to learn.

"Gay" is an old word and so is the book, so you gotta understand this shxt been there before your son was born.

1 Like

Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by WoundedLamb: 1:36pm On Apr 30, 2022
JoyousFurnitire:
It is very much okay for books to be revised and words to be replaced due to issues (immoral) in the society.

While adults could easily choose or identify their sexual orientation and maybe know the original meaning of a word, it's very bad to introduce kids to what they shouldn't know (especially at the learning stage).

In a sane environment, parents will request that the text book be replaced or never used.

But in my country, no. Untill wee see 10yo having fun and recording.
undecided

In which sane environment would the word be removed because it has other meanings the OP does not like? Definitely not in any English speaking country. The essence of replacing common words like "happy" with uncommon ones like "joyful" or "gay" is to enrich the children's vocabulary. Heaven knows I'd tell my child, "like many other words, this word could mean different things based on the context, and in this context, it means happy or joyful". That's education.

OP could have just told his child it means happy and move on, and that would have normalized the word for the kid. Why are they freaking out and probably making the kid more curious? How does the word gay change the child's orientation? You think most gay people knew about that word before realizing thier sexuality? Tomorrow, if the kid's mate use the word or if the kid hears it elsewhere in a similar context, he'd be lost, thanks to the OP.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by Nobody: 1:36pm On Apr 30, 2022
WoundedLamb:

So because the word gay has multiple meanings, one of which you don't like, it should be scrapped? Lol... wow

Scrapped from kids books under 4years.. how many sentences have you made to anyone using "Gay" as an alternative to "excited"?

1 Like

Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by Nobody: 1:38pm On Apr 30, 2022
WoundedLamb:

In which sane environment would the word be removed because it has other meanings the OP does not like? Definitely not in any English speaking country. The essence of replacing common words like "happy" with uncommon ones like "joyful" or "gay" is to enrich the children's vocabulary. Heaven knows I'd tell my child, "like many other words, this word could mean different things based on the context, and in this context, it means happy or joyful". That's education.

OP could have just told his child it means happy and move on, and that would have normalized the word for the kid. Why are they freaking out and probably making the kid more curious? How does the word gay change the child's orientation? You think most gay people knew about that word before realizing thier sexuality? Tomorrow, if the kid's mate use the word or if the kid hears it elsewhere in a similar context, he'd be lost, thanks to the OP.

Yeah like everyone uses the sentence "I was GAY at the club lastnight at the all men retreat party"... please when elaborating, be factual with the current environment.

1 Like

Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Apr 30, 2022
oilmane:

Bro it means happy, joyous, fun filled in this passage, it doesn't have anything to do with gays

A child of less that 4 could use "happy" for a long time till he gets to know the word for what it is.
Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by WoundedLamb: 1:40pm On Apr 30, 2022
Esseite:

Scrapped from kids books under 4years.. how many sentences have you made to anyone using "Gay" as an alternative to "excited"?

A million of them. Gay is a common word and I use it often to describe colors. Kids need to know that meaning instead of mystifying the entire word. Nothing stops you from telling your kid the meaning in this context and moving on. By your reaction, you've already told the kid there's something interesting there and they'd gladly learn it from outsiders. You had the chance to take control of your child's learning process and you freaked out.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by Nobody: 1:42pm On Apr 30, 2022
Danmboss:
Op what what that word means in that sentence is that "let's be happy" not :-homosexuality

Yeah obviously.. so when i tell my kid it means happy, he is excited at a new word and maybe goes about about screaming "I am GAY".... like the world would understand him then.
Re: I Am Traumatized.. Why The "Gay" Word For Little Children. by WoundedLamb: 1:52pm On Apr 30, 2022
Esseite:

Yeah like everyone uses the sentence "I was GAY at the club lastnight at the all men retreat party"... please when elaborating, be factual with the current environment.

You're coming up with these just to justify your reaction. The book didn't mention club and adults hardly use words in a context where they'd be misunderstood.

The word "mad" means "angry" and it can also mean "crazy". People say "I got mad cause of the way he talked to me" but they don’t say "I am a mad man" when they mean they're angry cause they know it would be misunderstood. How many words do you want to remove cause they have other meanings you don't like? What of the ones you don't even know about?

Context, that's how languages work. Your child knowing the proper meaning of gay and how to use it only enriches thier vocabulary and makes him more confident. There's nothing wrong with saying "I feel so gay this morning".

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unbelievable Secrets On Admission To Nigeria Police Academy This Year / Secondary School Student Commits Suicide After His Mom Caught Him Having S*x / Polytechnic Student Die Mysteriously In Ekiti [viewers’ Discretion Advised] | Ci

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.