Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,442 members, 7,812,324 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 (16682 Views)

Photos Of The Collapsed Ebute Metta Building Before Collapse / Ikoyi Building Collapse: Death Toll Hits 45 / Ikoyi Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 36 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by powerfulguy: 9:16am On May 02, 2022
The d3ath toll from the collapsed three-storey building at Ebute Meta, Lagos, as at Monday morning has risen to five, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) officials say.

Reports have it that an old three-storey building collapsed at No. 24 Ibadan Street, Herbert Macaulay Way, Ebute Meta, on Sunday night at about 10.56 p.m.

The Zonal Coordinator Southwest, NEMA, Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, told Newsmen in Lagos that the deceased persons included three males and two females.

The number of rescued occupants remained at 23.

Rescue operations are ongoing at the site of the incident in search of four of the remaining occupants of the building.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/05/ebute-meta-building-collapse-d3ath-toll-rises-to-5/

3 Shares

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by Hezzyluv: 9:18am On May 02, 2022
So sad.

RIP to the deaths.

2 Likes

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by powerfulguy: 10:29am On May 02, 2022
Ebute-Meta building collapse: Death toll now 8

The death toll at the collapsed Ebute-Meta three-storey building had risen to eight.

Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, Southwest Zonal Coordinator, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday in Lagos.

An old three-Storey building collapsed at N0 24 Ibadan Street, off Herbert Macaulay Way, Ebute-Meta on Sunday night at about 10.56 p.m.

NAN also reports that 23 occupants of the building were rescued.

However, rescue operations were ongoing at the site of the incident in search of occupants trapped under the rubble.
https://thenationonlineng.net/ebute-meta-building-collapse-death-toll-now-8/
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by gerrardomendes(m): 11:06am On May 02, 2022
Hmm. Lagos

1 Like

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by NamelessOGBENI(m): 11:06am On May 02, 2022
Too bad.

Less casualties is the prayer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by Angelfrost(m): 11:07am On May 02, 2022
Sigh... Easily avoidable and preventable incidents.

If those paid to ensure proper buildings are erected had done their jobs, these people would be alive today!

Sadly, more buildings and lives are waiting to give way!

Even existing buildings are supposed to undergo inspections to ascertain quality or need for renovations...

We do absolutely nothing right in this country... In all sectors, so much negligence and complacency!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by NOwazobia: 11:07am On May 02, 2022
Another one.

Shey na only Lagos Waka come?

I fear if Tinubu finally take over as a president, this is how we will be have collapse building allover the country.

Agberolism youth empowerment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by omooba969(m): 11:07am On May 02, 2022
Total collapse, landlord is now homeless.
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by Formularcr7: 11:07am On May 02, 2022
RIP
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by drealj: 11:07am On May 02, 2022
A lot need to be done to correct and stop this
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by 9jayes: 11:07am On May 02, 2022
It’s better living in a bungalow in Lagos than all these story buildings

18 Likes

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by adioolayi(m): 11:07am On May 02, 2022
Dilapidated old structures that should be given proper inspection, advised their demolition and rebuild accordingly just full most saturated areas in Lagos...

But then,

The Agents and Landlords are only interested in astronomically high House Rents...nothing more. ...Some can even cut a standard shop into three bedroom flat angry angry...That terrible!!!

5 Likes

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by Lizav(f): 11:07am On May 02, 2022
God have mercy.
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by slawormiir: 11:08am On May 02, 2022
Damnnn niggar
Rest in peace to them
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by LogicBomb8: 11:09am On May 02, 2022
What could be the cause
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by psychologist(m): 11:09am On May 02, 2022
Ultimate limit state

Only civil engineers will understand

Rip to the dead
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by obembet(f): 11:09am On May 02, 2022
O ga o
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by Mac2016(m): 11:12am On May 02, 2022
powerfulguy:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/05/ebute-meta-building-collapse-d3ath-toll-rises-to-5/
It collapsed at a very wrong time. Casualties will be very high. 11pm on a Sunday would be great sleeping time aside for today being a holiday sha. Maybe some people would be away from home frolicking. But there's a high tendency for very high casualties.

6 Likes

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by Angelfrost(m): 11:12am On May 02, 2022
NOwazobia:
Another one.

Shey na only Lagos Waka come?

I fear if Tinubu finally take over as a president, this is how we will be have collapse building allover the country.

Agberolism youth empowerment.

It's really not compulsory to comment when you have nothing meaningful to post...

See how you have wasted first page slot!

2 Likes

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by Papichulostunne(m): 11:12am On May 02, 2022
Now who do we blame for this?

A) The engineer who built the place knowing how the foundation is.

B) The stupid block sellers that mix one back of cement with almost half a trip of sand.

C) The landlord who ought to know better as to perform routine maintenance from time to time..

D) The devil.

E) Non of the above.

1 Like

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by Elogy(m): 11:13am On May 02, 2022
RIP to the death but we need to patronize professional hence, to avoid catastrophe. The regulators should leave up to their responsibilities, a mason should not be an engineer because he has 20 yrs in the industry
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by sameks08(m): 11:15am On May 02, 2022
may God have mercy upon US
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by Kuriosmynd: 11:16am On May 02, 2022
I don't know anywhere more dangerous to live like NIgeria in the whole world.
Tell me if you know.
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by Irupetepete: 11:19am On May 02, 2022
SON in the mud
We have no standard organization in this country
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by EYESofHORUS: 11:20am On May 02, 2022
Make i yarn you as a bonafide ebute-metta breed, dating back to july 18th 2006, about the first building collapse i know of on Bola by Ibadan street, i can confidently tell you that subseqent collapse structures were built between 2004 to 2022. Those are structures under 20yrs. Will you say they are old?

This particular building, i gues it was constructed around 2004- or 2005. I am not too sure. I only know that the landlord of my mums shop was residing in the bungalow that was on the land before it was redevelop.

Those structures are extremely design and constructed to fail. I remember my dad once told me that all this building will start coming down max 15yrs because of the extremely poor mode of construction, substandard materials and low technical know-how, and yes, the old man was damn right.

That year, those developers were kings,. They owe suppliers, workers and also intending tenants. They collect money from different people for a flat and yet none of them will still get the flat. They will use their money to develop the house, increase rent far more than the agreed rent, and those people will have to forfeit their cash or wait till eternity to get refund.

Landlords of those years, gave their old solid buildings to developers to manage which the will be demolish and 3- storey building of extremely failed structure to be manage by him as agreed for 15years or more will be constructed. By then, thats if the structure lives to see 15yrs, the structure is already dilapidated or collapsed. The developer smiled to bank while landlord cry and continue crying after those years.

The face-me and slap you i grew up in was given to developer in 2014 and i can tell u the building is already a shadow of itself. Another structure intending to collapse is on Oloto by Herbert macaulay. Mehn, i was shocked one day when i saw them fixing column to brace the dead building. This same oloto street, about 2 buildings have already gone down.

Untill when we the citizen get rid of our greed, we cannot move forward.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by Jokerman(m): 11:20am On May 02, 2022
All these old houses should either be sold or given to developers to reconstruct or rebuild...

Don't expect s house built in 1960 to stand OK to this day
Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by ogododo: 11:22am On May 02, 2022
powerfulguy:

De whole of Ebute-Meta East na tired and distressed buildings full am. Especially Willoughby area.

2 Likes

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by ogododo: 11:24am On May 02, 2022
Jokerman:
All these old houses should either be sold or given to developers to reconstruct or rebuild...

Don't expect s house built in 1960 to stand OK to this day
Na developer built de house, de house never reach 20 years.

1 Like

Re: Ebute-Metta Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 8 by ogododo: 11:26am On May 02, 2022
EYESofHORUS:

Make i yarn you as a bonafide ebute-metta breed, dating back to july 18th 2006, about the first building collapse i know of on Bola by Ibadan street, i can confidently tell you that subseqent collapse structures were built between 2004 to 2022. Those are structures under 20yrs. Will you say they are old?

This particular building, i gues it was constructed around 2004- or 2005. I am not too sure. I only know that the landlord of my mums shop was residing in the bungalow that was on the land before it was redevelop.

Those structures are extremely design and constructed to fail. I remember my dad once told me that all this building will start coming down max 15yrs because of the extremely poor mode of construction, substandard materials and low technical know-how, and yes, the old man was damn right.

That year, those developers were kings,. They owe suppliers, workers and also intending tenants. They collect money from different people for a flat and yet none of them will still get the flat. They will use their money to develop the house, increase rent far more than the agreed rent, and those people will have to forfeit their cash or wait till eternity to get refund.

Landlords of those years, gave their old solid buildings to developers to manage which the will be demolish and 3- storey building of extremely failed structure to be manage by him as agreed for 15years or more will be constructed. By then, thats if the structure lives to see 15yrs, the structure is already dilapidated or collapsed. The developer smiled to bank while landlord cry and continue crying after those years.

The face-me and slap you i grew up in was given to developer in 2014 and i can tell u the building is already a shadow of itself. Another structure intending to collapse is on Oloto by Herbert macaulay. Mehn, i was shocked one day when i saw them fixing column to brace the dead building. This same oloto street, about 2 buildings have already gone down.

Untill when we the citizen get rid of our grid, we cannot move forward.

You sabi de building, de whole Ebute-Meta no de safe.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Deep Gully Erosion In Idah LGA, Kogi State (Photos) / Whole House Audio System The Jos Project / Estate Agent Wants Me To Pay 130% Of The Rent As Agent/Agreement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.