Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,660 members, 7,820,326 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa - Programming (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa (127078 Views)

ALX Africa Software Engineering Journey - From Zero To Hero! / My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) / Alx africa vs Udemy ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Cyril009(m): 11:32am On Jun 10, 2022
cry
Anonymous6o6:
My Journey

Before now, I have been learning frontend development using W3school and LinkedIn Learning. I even got help from a friend who linked me to a backend developer for job opportunities. But due to the fact that I was still learning and haven't built any projects, I was given a link to finish up some basics projects and get back to him.

Since then, I have been focused on learning. I intend to learn JavaScript and react before building the projects.

Now, to the matter at hand, I recently discovered ALX software engineering program through their ads, made some research and it turned out to be legit. I quickly signed up, mostly because of their curriculum (I will drop pictures on that soon), which was pretty cool since I have seen what Udacity, Coursera and other online courses have to offer on software engineering.

Another reason I signed up was because it was free! Well they said this year's program was waived by Mastercard and I will be getting a certificate after completion, love it! Though I also heard one has to pay after graduating and getting a job.

Let me break down the program duration, the software engineering program is for 12months, 70hrs a week, 10hrs a day... Maybe it won't be up to that but this is base on my research. On the first month, one is required to get 80% percent score or get eliminated! Lol not killed tho, like removed. After graduation, you get added to the "Room" for job opportunities and build your connection, cool right?

After registering for the program, I was notified the onboarding would start on 2nd of may. On 30th of April, I was sent an email to read through the curriculum, activities, required committed and projects. I will be sending screenshots of the importance ones. I realized that I will be involved in group projects, solo projects, networking and more.

Good day sir sorry to disturb I also want to learn programming.

I am learning programming but I haven't been able to complete any of my classes the time for my classes a week leaves me with no time to work.

do you have any side hustles that keeps you afloat all through the learning process,if you have any please share.
Thanks in advance... cry
Anonymous6o6:
My Journey

Before now, I have been learning frontend development using W3school and LinkedIn Learning. I even got help from a friend who linked me to a backend developer for job opportunities. But due to the fact that I was still learning and haven't built any projects, I was given a link to finish up some basics projects and get back to him.

Since then, I have been focused on learning. I intend to learn JavaScript and react before building the projects.

Now, to the matter at hand, I recently discovered ALX software engineering program through their ads, made some research and it turned out to be legit. I quickly signed up, mostly because of their curriculum (I will drop pictures on that soon), which was pretty cool since I have seen what Udacity, Coursera and other online courses have to offer on software engineering.

Another reason I signed up was because it was free! Well they said this year's program was waived by Mastercard and I will be getting a certificate after completion, love it! Though I also heard one has to pay after graduating and getting a job.

Let me break down the program duration, the software engineering program is for 12months, 70hrs a week, 10hrs a day... Maybe it won't be up to that but this is base on my research. On the first month, one is required to get 80% percent score or get eliminated! Lol not killed tho, like removed. After graduation, you get added to the "Room" for job opportunities and build your connection, cool right?

After registering for the program, I was notified the onboarding would start on 2nd of may. On 30th of April, I was sent an email to read through the curriculum, activities, required committed and projects. I will be sending screenshots of the importance ones. I realized that I will be involved in group projects, solo projects, networking and more.

I am learning programming but I haven't been able to complete any of my classes the time for my classes a week leaves me with no time to work.

do you have any side hustles that keeps you afloat all through the learning process,if you have any please share.
Thanks in advance...
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by jurrsh(m): 8:45pm On Jun 10, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Yes you can,!
But you will be starting on August.

Ok, thanks boss
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 12:48pm On Jun 11, 2022
Cyril009:
cry

Thanks in advance... cry

Thanks in advance...

I understand from your point of view but I don't have know any side jobs.

I even need one but the types I know are online and they're not easy to get.

Try Transcribeme
It's an online platform where you are paid to transcribe audio files into words but you have to pass it 100%

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 12:49pm On Jun 11, 2022
Seunfunmi18:

We started since March 14.
We are already done with the first sprint.
Currently building our second group project.

Wow
I would seriously like to connect with you and hear all about your experience.

Anyways I'm still waiting for the text in my email.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 12:50pm On Jun 11, 2022
Albertone:

Alright lol

Okay what is the first step?

I already told you up there

Learn vi, emacs, git and GitHub
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Albertone(m): 12:55pm On Jun 11, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

I already told you up there

Learn vi, emacs, git and GitHub

That's what I told you I will learn and you said I should take it easy,that it is step by step.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Seunfunmi18(m): 2:26pm On Jun 11, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Wow
I would seriously like to connect with you and hear all about your experience.

Anyways I'm still waiting for the text in my email.

Sent since yesterday already.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 3:44pm On Jun 11, 2022
Seunfunmi18:

Sent since yesterday already.

Oh my...
I didn't receive it

What is the name of your email?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 3:45pm On Jun 11, 2022
Albertone:

That's what I told you I will learn and you said I should take it easy,that it is step by step.

Oh... I understand.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Seunfunmi18(m): 4:16pm On Jun 11, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Oh my...
I didn't receive it

What is the name of your email?

iamomosquare@gmail.com
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Chimex388: 5:51pm On Jun 11, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
To put it simple, I will say my experience so far has been Amazing

I took the advantage of my previous experience and learnt ahead. I usually do the projects to be sent tomorrow, today! That way, I'm one step ahead of everyone and I keep learning.

Whenever I'm free, I help others on their projects and I enjoy it because that way, all the things I learnt stick and I don't forget them. I have made a lot of friends from helping others.

Also created a private group where our motto is *"SURVIVE THE FIRST MONTH"*

Because it will be VERY challenging! A lot of people are already dropping. I don't know when I became a motivational speaker but I keep talking to others not to quit while we do the projects together.

In the private group now, we're currently 5 people, the fewer, the better. That way I can pay attention to everyone and no one is left behind but the limit I can accept into the group are 12. So...still searching for the right ones.

If you're going for ALX and want to pass, you will need your peers to guide you on the right path. And I have the right people with me.
Good day, been following ur thread and progress. Iran inspiration. Considering joining. Thumps up.
How did u re-register in another cohort. Did u use a different mail.?

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Chimex388: 5:56pm On Jun 11, 2022
Though I participated in A 4weeks foundation web development program(a prerequisite for the Nanodegree program) in which unfortunately, I wasn't able to write the 60mins test within the time frame to earn a Cert of completion and it expired.
Can I reapply?
Seems this software cohort is the nanodegree program?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Benjacks: 4:29am On Jun 12, 2022
I would like to join your group. June 6th cohort.
How do I ?
Anonymous6o6:
To put it simple, I will say my experience so far has been Amazing

I took the advantage of my previous experience and learnt ahead. I usually do the projects to be sent tomorrow, today! That way, I'm one step ahead of everyone and I keep learning.

Whenever I'm free, I help others on their projects and I enjoy it because that way, all the things I learnt stick and I don't forget them. I have made a lot of friends from helping others.

Also created a private group where our motto is *"SURVIVE THE FIRST MONTH"*

Because it will be VERY challenging! A lot of people are already dropping. I don't know when I became a motivational speaker but I keep talking to others not to quit while we do the projects together.

In the private group now, we're currently 5 people, the fewer, the better. That way I can pay attention to everyone and no one is left behind but the limit I can accept into the group are 12. So...still searching for the right ones.

If you're going for ALX and want to pass, you will need your peers to guide you on the right path. And I have the right people with me.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 1:22pm On Jun 12, 2022
Chimex388:

Good day, been following ur thread and progress. Iran inspiration. Considering joining. Thumps up.
How did u re-register in another cohort. Did u use a different mail.?

Yes
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 1:23pm On Jun 12, 2022
Chimex388:
Though I participated in A 4weeks foundation web development program(a prerequisite for the Nanodegree program) in which unfortunately, I wasn't able to write the 60mins test within the time frame to earn a Cert of completion and it expired.
Can I reapply?
Seems this software cohort is the nanodegree program?

If you want to apply for software engineering nano degree, you can. The next batch is starting on August
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 1:34pm On Jun 12, 2022
Benjacks:

I would like to join your group. June 6th cohort.
How do I ?

My apologies Ben but we're over 17 and I'm thinking of removing some people. I want us to be very few, that way it is easier to concentrate on everyone.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by chiboy1116: 12:12am On Jun 13, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

. Please use this opportunity to learn emacs, shell, vi, git and GitHub.
A lot of newbies are already dropping out and complaining because projects are coming in fast and it seem there's not enough time to learn.
how do I reach you boss ? I need to get in touch with you please
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Chimex388: 1:41pm On Jun 13, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

If you want to apply for software engineering nano degree, you can. The next batch is starting on August
.ok. noted. Thanks
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Yutes: 8:29pm On Jun 13, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

My apologies Ben but we're over 17 and I'm thinking of removing some people. I want us to be very few, that way it is easier to concentrate on everyone.
Can someone with no programming experience apply for alx?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 9:07pm On Jun 13, 2022
Yutes:

Can someone with no programming experience apply for alx?

Yes
But! You will need to prepare ahead or you will quit before you even start because of the world load and tasks.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Yutes: 9:11pm On Jun 13, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Yes
But! You will need to prepare ahead or you will quit before you even start because of the world load and tasks.
I applied for the alx data analysis program but I have no experience and feel I bummed most of the questions.

Can I still make it to program?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 9:17pm On Jun 13, 2022
Chimex388

I had some thoughts and decided to create another private group because they're some people here who have been sending email to join the private group.

By the way, I apologize for not getting back to you guys. For those that sent their number to me on Gmail, I will add them to the group. No need to post your numbers here. I wouldn't want to derail the reason for creating this thread, send your numbers to my email.

At most I can only add 17 people! Because if we're much, It might be a bit overwhelming. For those in June cohort interested in joining the private group, send me an email with your WhatsApp number. Don't drop it here.

So far it has been a great experience, I always do my projects a day ahead of the day it is sent. So my scores looking cute lol...

I'm currently studying for the C project yet to come. Not going to lie, the learning is fun but even after knowing the projects that will be sent, I still feel worried because it looks like Spanish. But I have great people around me to help.

For this week's project, it is same as last week. Let's just say... Two weeks is being used to learn emacs, vi, shell navigation, git and GitHub before the main programming.

2 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 9:18pm On Jun 13, 2022
chiboy1116:
how do I reach you boss ? I need to get in touch with you please

Send your WhatsApp number to my email
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 9:19pm On Jun 13, 2022
Yutes:

I applied for the alx data analysis program but I have no experience and feel I bummed most of the questions.

Can I still make it to program?

ALX data analysis course will be taught by Udacity. Although they're collaborating with alx to host the program, if you don't pass or rather if you don't score high, you won't be accepted.

2 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Yutes: 10:47pm On Jun 13, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

ALX data analysis course will be taught by Udacity. Although they're collaborating with alx to host the program, if you don't pass or rather if you don't score high, you won't be accepted.
embarassed
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by chiboy1116: 10:57pm On Jun 13, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

I already did . I sent you an email yesterday . The email on your profile
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by chiboy1116: 10:57pm On Jun 13, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by yungz: 12:20am On Jun 14, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

So far it has been a great experience, I always do my projects a day ahead of the day it is sent. So my scores looking cute lol...

how did you see your score? i can’t see mine and i’ve never missed submitting an assignment.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 7:31am On Jun 14, 2022
chiboy1116:

Will add you this morning
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 7:33am On Jun 14, 2022
yungz:

how did you see your score? i can’t see mine and i’ve never missed submitting an assignment.

From the picture below

Those are the scores and From the second picture, you can see where they write "score:100%"

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Classic1(m): 12:56pm On Jun 14, 2022
@Anonymous6o6 I was looking for an online course when I stumbled on ALX ad.
I was signing up and paused to confirm if is legit. I immediately browsed of ALX on nairaland here and saw ur thread. I was convinced and inspired to continue.
This your thread will help ALOT of people. Some will reply and engage MANY will read quietly.
Thank you so much for this thread, I have been greatly inspired and a bit prepared and have braced for what is it come.
I have been accepted and my cohort will start by August. I will try my very best.

Please I will send you a mail so you can send the C pdf file.

And also how best can we study emacs, shell, vi, git and GitHub. Are they a topic that can be easily covered or are there specific sections/topics we should look out for.

Thank you so much as I anticipate your reply.

3 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 7:12am On Jun 15, 2022
Classic1:
@Anonymous6o6 I was looking for an online course when I stumbled on ALX ad.
I was signing up and paused to confirm if is legit. I immediately browsed of ALX on nairaland here and saw ur thread. I was convinced and inspired to continue.
This your thread will help ALOT of people. Some will reply and engage MANY will read quietly.
Thank you so much for this thread, I have been greatly inspired and a bit prepared and have braced for what is it come.
I have been accepted and my cohort will start by August. I will try my very best.

Please I will send you a mail so you can send the C pdf file.

And also how best can we study emacs, shell, vi, git and GitHub. Are they a topic that can be easily covered or are there specific sections/topics we should look out for.

Thank you so much as I anticipate your reply.

I'm seriously glad to be of help to you and everyone doubting curious if ALX is real.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply)

Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.