Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa - Programming (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa (126702 Views)

ALX Africa Software Engineering Journey - From Zero To Hero! / My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) / Alx africa vs Udemy ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 7:38am On Jun 15, 2022
Good Morning guys

First, I'm going to do a quick recap...
Week 0 and week 1 were used to learn
- emacs
- vi editor
- Git and GitHub
- Shell navigation

We're currently in week 1, so we're still on the above but I'm done with all my projects and currently studying C language.

I recently opened a leetcode account lol. I'm not in a hurry, just going through the question and trying to solve them.

We will be starting C projects on the 3rd week, next week which is the 2nd week will be for advance learning of Shell, vagrant, emacs, vi and git.

Lately, I and my colleagues have been working on C by using alx C project. Because there was something I noticed. Alx projects are a way to ensure that you studied the materials. You might finish reading a manual on emacs and when you try doing the projects, you then discover, it's a bit ambiguous.

Which is why it is important to have a Note! I currently have four notes
One for C language
One for emacs and vi editors
One for shell

I can't do without jotting, it is good for easy reference when doing projects!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Classic1(m): 11:00am On Jun 15, 2022
Hello Anonymous, I can see you are currently soaring, I wish you all the best.
Meanwhile I understand you guys use SPCK to code on mobile phones, which software do you guys use for a computer.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Classic1(m): 12:16pm On Jun 15, 2022
Classic1:
Hello Anonymous, I can see you are currently soaring, I wish you all the best.
Meanwhile I understand you guys use SPCK to code on mobile phones, which software do you guys use for a computer.

While trying to resume studying (emacs, shell, vi, git and GitHub. vim,linux,C.) I realized they are all editors for coding on windows.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Albertone(m): 1:51pm On Jun 15, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Yes
But! You will need to prepare ahead or you will quit before you even start because of the world load and tasks.

I'm trying to learn emacs,I don't understand a single thing!
I don't even know what to do with it.
Is this how you felt when you started?

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Classic1(m): 2:48pm On Jun 15, 2022
Albertone:

Honestly bro, I'm confused. I'm currently downloading and installing it. it looks pretty heavy (more than 500mb).

If i download and install all of these (emacs, shell, vi, git and GitHub. vim,linux,C.) My system will lag seriously.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Technerdguy: 4:01pm On Jun 15, 2022
Classic1:

Honestly bro, I'm confused. I'm currently downloading and installing it. it looks pretty heavy (more than 500mb).

If i download and install all of these (emacs, shell, vi, git and GitHub. vim,linux,C.) My system will lag seriously.

You don't need to install all of them for now, ALX has a sandbox on the intranet that you can use for your tasks.
But you can have Bash install if you are on windows, or better still have Linux (Ubuntu) install in your system and just use the terminal.

2 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Classic1(m): 4:11pm On Jun 15, 2022
Technerdguy:

You don't need to install all of them for now, ALX has a sandbox on the intranet that you can use for your tasks.
But you can have Bash install if you are on windows, or better still have Linux (Ubuntu) install in your system and just use the terminal.

Alright bro, thanks a lot
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 4:28pm On Jun 15, 2022
Albertone:

Here's what you need to know in emacs
The concept
The command lines

If you know that to open a file in emacs you have to type...

echo "C-x C-f" > opening

Then you won't have much difficulties.

And please don't cram
Cramming won't help you at all because if you look up at the curriculum, you will realize we have a lot to do.

Get a Note book and write down the command lines and their functions. It helped me.

4 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 4:31pm On Jun 15, 2022
Classic1:

You don't need to install them all since alx has a sandbox and you can use your terminal if you want. You just need to connect it from the sandbox.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 4:40pm On Jun 15, 2022
There's something important you need to know, although it is practically possible but then it isn't impossible.

If you read through all the materials sent by alx team before your projects especially for C, you seriously won't lag behind.

Since today, I have been studying C on freecodecamp, it was a very good material to be honest. I learnt the history of C and how it was created by Bells from B language and BCL.

Funny but I also discovered for alx students, while being introduced to the basics of C, we want immediately start learning the basics of data structures and algorithms (array and Singly Linked Lists) to be precise.

ALX SE team sent a very GOOD pdf that contains the summary of C but it is mostly focused data structures. So I have been studying different materials and taking notes.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Albertone(m): 6:58pm On Jun 15, 2022
Classic1:

Emacs shouldn't be more than 200mb.

So vi editor is different from vim??Eh God!
I've only downloaded vim and emacs but saved the tutorial for most.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Albertone(m): 7:01pm On Jun 15, 2022
Technerdguy:

Please can you give details of this bash and how I can use it to do all?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Albertone(m): 7:06pm On Jun 15, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Here's what you need to know in emacs
The concept
The command lines

If you know that to open a file in emacs you have to type...

echo "C-x C-f" > opening

Then you won't have much difficulties.

And please don't cram
Cramming won't help you at all because if you look up at the curriculum, you will realize we have a lot to do.

Get a Note book and write down the command lines and their functions. It helped me.
Thanks.
But your instruction is not too clear.
Am I to type echo then ctrl c then ctrl f then > opening

Anonymous6o6:

You don't need to install them all since alx has a sandbox and you can use your terminal if you want. You just need to connect it from the sandbox.

Any idea how to do the terminal stuff?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Classic1(m): 7:14pm On Jun 15, 2022
Technerdguy:

Anonymous6o6:

Thanks a lot guys, you guys have been immensely helpful, My cohort will start by August, So i don't have the intranet/sandbox yet.

But I have successfully installed the Linux(ubuntu) in my windows. (sidenote: win10 has an inbuilt linux, thats good to know)

I guess the next step is to download and install the editors (emacs, vi etc) into the linux or are they already there? Please forgive my lack of knowledge.

Also please guys can i get the C pdf? please, my email is classicgab at gmail dot com

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Classic1(m): 7:18pm On Jun 15, 2022
Albertone:

Thanks.
But your instruction is not too clear.
Am I to type echo then ctrl c then ctrl f then > opening

Any idea how to do the terminal stuff?

I guess he means when we can successfully learn the emacs commands stated in this pdf without cramming

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Classic1(m): 7:29pm On Jun 15, 2022
Classic1:

Thanks a lot guys, you guys have been immensely helpful, My cohort will start by August, So i don't have the intranet/sandbox yet.

But I have successfully installed the Linux(ubuntu) in my windows. (sidenote: win10 has an inbuilt linux, thats good to know)

I guess the next step is to download and install the editors (emacs, vi etc) into the linux or are they already there? Please forgive my lack of knowledge.

Also please guys can i get the C pdf? please, my email is classicgab at gmail dot com

Thanks a lot guys. They are already preinstalled on Linux, currently updating them. I just need the C pdf file please. classicgab at gmail dot come
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Techstar: 10:12pm On Jun 15, 2022
Classic1:

don't install or download anything. You can search for Learn programming africa on youtube, the guy is an alx student, he teaches alx content and course work.

9 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 8:43am On Jun 16, 2022
Classic1:

Email me for the C PDF
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 8:44am On Jun 16, 2022
ALX SE team gracefully opening my day with this..

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Classic1(m): 11:46am On Jun 16, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
ALX SE team gracefully opening my day with this..

Congrats Tracy,

We right behind you.

The email for the pdf has been sent
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Classic1(m): 7:36pm On Jun 16, 2022
Albertone:

Best way to study Emacs that is working for me is the Emacs tutorial right inside Emacs. They are so detailed.
Although I have watched a Youtube tutorial video which i didn't finish and read an article on Emacs online

Anonymous, I'm patiently waiting for C# pdf cry cry cry
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by TheTraveler: 8:10pm On Jun 16, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
There's something important you need to know, although it is practically possible but then it isn't impossible.

If you read through all the materials sent by alx team before your projects especially for C, you seriously won't lag behind.

Since today, I have been studying C on freecodecamp, it was a very good material to be honest. I learnt the history of C and how it was created by Bells from B language and BCL.

Funny but I also discovered for alx students, while being introduced to the basics of C, we want immediately start learning the basics of data structures and algorithms (array and Singly Linked Lists) to be precise.

ALX SE team sent a very GOOD pdf that contains the summary of C but it is mostly focused data structures. So I have been studying different materials and taking notes.

When did they send C materials? Is there something I'm missing.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 8:21pm On Jun 16, 2022
Good Evening Everyone
I come with beautiful news and that's no exaggeration

The first is that, I wrote an article on Emacs, not going to force anyone to read but if you're curious, I will drop the link.

Secondly, I discovered through a colleague currently in the 6th cohort that the 80% score required, in order to continue the program is not just for the first month but every sprint!

Below, I'm going to share a picture of a guy who has been in the program since March (4 months) but score below 80%. So, if you survive the first month and relax, that might cost you your place in the program.

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Classic1(m): 9:26pm On Jun 16, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
Good Evening Everyone

The first is that, I wrote an article on Emacs, not going to force anyone to read but if you're curious, I will drop the link.

Secondly, I discovered through a colleague currently in the 6th cohort that the 80% score required, in order to continue the program is not just for the first month but every sprint!

Below, I'm going to share a picture of a guy who has been in the program since March (4 months) but score below 80%. So, if you survive the first month and relax, that might cost you your place in the program.

Good one Anonymous on how you keep updating everyone on your journey.
Drop the link of the article, let the curious minds read.

And for those looking for the Cpdf files. They are really heavy and difficult to send via emails, So I made a link and pasted it on a text file and pdf file.
Download the text file or the pdf file below and enter the links on your browser, they will take you to the pdf files, then you download.

2 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by lEndMoj: 8:10am On Jun 17, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
Good Evening Everyone

Bro is it possible to be enrolled in two programs at the same time
for instance SOFTWARE ENGINEERING(ALX) and DATA ANALYTICS(ALX in partnership with UDACITY)

I am well versed in the two field, just want to challenge myself further and add few certificate, i would be able to cope easily with both.

But is it allowed?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 8:17am On Jun 17, 2022
lEndMoj:

Bro is it possible to be enrolled in two programs at the same time
for instance SOFTWARE ENGINEERING(ALX) and DATA ANALYTICS(ALX in partnership with UDACITY)

I am well versed in the two field, just want to challenge myself further and add few certificate, i would be able to cope easily with both.

But is it allowed?

I don't know if it is allowed to I can assure you that you won't be able to do either of them. If you decide to, you won't make it past the first month in ALX SE program. It requires a lot of your time and dedication, same thing with data analysis. So pick one.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Albertone(m): 9:53am On Jun 17, 2022
Classic1:

Best way to study Emacs that is working for me is the Emacs tutorial right inside Emacs. They are so detailed.
Although I have watched a Youtube tutorial video which i didn't finish and read an article on Emacs online

Anonymous, I'm patiently waiting for C# pdf cry cry cry

Wow thanks.

Are the tutorials text based or they are videos?

Classic1:

I guess he means when we can successfully learn the emacs commands stated in this pdf without cramming

Thanks.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by bluebloodxvi: 11:11am On Jun 17, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

I don't know if it is allowed to I can assure you that you won't be able to do either of them. If you decide to, you won't make it past the first month in ALX SE program. It requires a lot of your time and dedication, same thing with data analysis. So pick one.

good morning boss. Please I'm planning to go into the tech world as a newbie and I just happened to come upon your thread. Is it possible for me to register for alx without any prior knowledge of coding?
If yes, how do I go about this? And what would you advice me to do as a newbie.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 12:34pm On Jun 17, 2022
bluebloodxvi:

good morning boss. Please I'm planning to go into the tech world as a newbie and I just happened to come upon your thread. Is it possible for me to register for alx without any prior knowledge of coding?
If yes, how do I go about this? And what would you advice me to do as a newbie.

If you want to register as a newbie then it's fine since we're learning everything from the basic but I will advise you to read ahead. If possible, study the materials for emacs, vi, git, shell before the program commence.

Before newbies tend to quit because of the workload and little amount of time.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 12:36pm On Jun 17, 2022
I finally wrote my first article on Emacs. It is for beginners and it summarizes the important command lines, and concepts frequently used especially in ALX.

(tracychan7.hashnode.dev)

You can copy the link and paste it on Google if you're curious. I look forward to your opinions.

4 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by bluebloodxvi: 1:04pm On Jun 17, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

If you want to register as a newbie then it's fine since we're learning everything from the basic but I will advise you to read ahead. If possible, study the materials for emacs, vi, git, shell before the program commence.

Before newbies tend to quit because of the workload and little amount of time.

Thanks for your reply boss. How can I get the study materials you listed above?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Kedro(m): 2:25pm On Jun 17, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

when was this material sent? Can't find it in my mail. Check your mail and tell me the date.thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (41) (Reply)

Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.