Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,514 members, 7,954,947 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:04 PM

Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) (34319 Views)

Are These Sentences Correct? / Lagos Teacher Beats Student To Death For Not Answering Maths Question Correctly / Which Of These Sentences Gave You Joy While You Were In Secondary School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by NOBLE179(m): 12:23pm On May 03, 2022
second sentence.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Tanyogo(m): 12:29pm On May 03, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:
English scholars in the house!!!

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Benblaq(m): 12:30pm On May 03, 2022
Number three is correct.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Linesman(m): 12:32pm On May 03, 2022
Sentence 3 is Correct.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by klawaaa: 12:33pm On May 03, 2022
Grammarly gave you the third choice probably because you are using the American English style. The second statement is correct too if you stick to British English.
graphics107:
cheesy
We have arrived. (As a self-acclaimed Grammarian)

As a Nigerian, the right use of the comma is:
You'll need butter, milk, flour and eggs.

But when you use Grammarly, that's if you're writing for a foreign audience. The right use of the comma is:
You'll need butter, milk, flour, and eggs.

So just get Grammarly and save yourself the stress.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Light78: 12:35pm On May 03, 2022
Linesman:
Sentence 3 is Correct.

You are joining floor an eggs together. If you are going for the third option.

You are not joining them together if you are going for the second option.

The question was listing out the items as separate entities, not as joined.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by infogeneral: 1:38pm On May 03, 2022
The second sentence is the correct answer.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by LadiesForever(f): 1:39pm On May 03, 2022
ikpumbe:

You see why you are an ass hole.

Rotten ass

So I'm now a rotten ass because i turned your own ill-mannered insult right back at you? grin grin grin

You are mentally weak.

Hediot!

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Mkairbag: 2:15pm On May 03, 2022
D
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by maipeople(m): 2:21pm On May 03, 2022
The second (B) is the correct sentence. This is due to the OXFORD comma.

If you don't know what Oxford comma is, please search for it and its meaning.

Thank you

DamnnNiggarr:
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Chickensoup: 2:26pm On May 03, 2022
Third sentence
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by omooba969(m): 2:38pm On May 03, 2022
[s]
Olam09:

Fool! Go to school. School na scam yes. Right from junior secondary school I've always got good grades in my English. The lowest grade I've ever gotten was [b]C4[/]
[/s]

Lol, not in the context you used that word.

Hahaha...no be fight na. grin

Òdè òshì.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by lagosrd: 2:56pm On May 03, 2022
Lovethaa:
You'll need butter , milk , whatever and eggs

That is how you fail simple question. Did you see any whatever there?
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by stanisbaratheon: 3:11pm On May 03, 2022
Second sentence is correct.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Paramount01(m): 3:48pm On May 03, 2022
yemobrown:
And is used to connect words of the same part of speech, clauses, or sentences, that are to be taken jointly. "bread and butter"

Home Grammar Punctuation How to use a comma (,)

How to use a comma (,)
A comma marks a slight break between different parts of a sentence. Used properly, commas make the meaning of sentences clear by grouping and separating words, phrases, and clauses. Many people are uncertain about the use of commas, though, and often sprinkle them throughout their writing without knowing the basic rules.

Here are the main cases when you need to use a comma:

in lists
in direct speech
to separate clauses
to mark off certain parts of a sentence
with 'however'
Using commas in lists
You need to put a comma between the different items in a list, as in the following sentences:

Saturday morning started with a hearty breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and French toast.

The school has a vegetable garden in which the children grow cabbages, onions, potatoes, and carrots.

The final comma in these lists (before the word ‘and’) is known as the ‘serial comma’. Not all writers or publishers use it, but it is used by Oxford Dictionaries – some people refer to it as ‘the Oxford comma’. Using it can make your meaning clearer. Take a look at this sentence:

My favourite sandwiches are chicken, bacon and ham and cheese.

It isn’t entirely clear from this sentence whether the writer is listing three or four of their favourite sandwich fillings: is ‘ham’ one of their favourites and ‘cheese’ another, or is it ‘ham and cheese’ that they like? Adding an Oxford comma makes the meaning clear:

My favourite sandwiches are chicken, bacon, and ham and cheese.

Using commas in direct speech
When a writer quotes a speaker’s words exactly as they were spoken, this is known as direct speech. If the piece of direct speech comes after the information about who is speaking, you need to use a comma to introduce the direct speech. The comma comes before the first quotation mark. Note that the final quotation mark follows the full stop at the end of the direct speech:

Steve replied, ‘No problem.’

You also need to use a comma at the end of a piece of direct speech, if the speech comes before the information about who is speaking. In this case, the comma goes inside the quotation mark:

‘I don’t agree,’ I replied.

‘Here we are,' they said.

There are two exceptions to this rule. If a piece of direct speech takes the form of a question or an exclamation, you should end it with a question mark or an exclamation mark, rather than a comma:

‘Stop him!’ she shouted.

‘Did you see that?’ he asked.

Direct speech is often broken up by the information about who is speaking. In these cases, you need a comma to end the first piece of speech (inside the quotation mark) and another comma before the second piece (before the quotation mark):

‘Yes,’ he said, ‘and I always keep my promises.’

‘Thinking back,’ she added, ‘I didn’t expect to win.’

Did u study English? You seems good in it,I don't mind coaching me
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Paramount01(m): 3:52pm On May 03, 2022
naijainstinct:

You are so correct bro. Grammarly has saved me from bad punctuations.

How can I get grammarly?
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by vikstandon(m): 4:11pm On May 03, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:

Third sentence
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by vikstandon(m): 4:13pm On May 03, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:

Third sentence.

You'll need butter, milk, flour and eggs.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Olam09(m): 4:15pm On May 03, 2022
omooba969:
[s][/s]

Lol, not in the context you used that word.

Hahaha...no be fight na. grin

Òdè òshì.
Dumbass.. reread that again.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Aaay: 4:29pm On May 03, 2022
Anyhow
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by placeofallure(f): 4:34pm On May 03, 2022
President2001:
You'll need butter, milk and eggs

These are the kinda kids the teachers would like flog like a goat.

You're seeing a sentence on the board and you couldn't even copy correctly in your note!

Where you put the flour? Olodo!
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Sebgajere(m): 5:04pm On May 03, 2022
C na
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by omooba969(m): 5:13pm On May 03, 2022
Olam09:

Dumbass.. reread that again.

Lol cheesy, that sounds like the Donbas region in Ukraine.... hahahaha cheesy

Òdè
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by ArewaNorth: 6:06pm On May 03, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:

It is unfortunate how the sentence used to ask the question is also wrong embarassed

Anyway, it isn't my language. No. 3 is correct!
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by naijainstinct: 6:59pm On May 03, 2022
Paramount01:

How can I get grammarly?
You can download it to your pc or mobile phone. You can even connect it to your writing apps, so it corrects you on the go.

Google "Grammarly"
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Emdebby2: 7:16pm On May 03, 2022
Sentence number 3
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by mii4u(f): 9:18pm On May 03, 2022
ikpumbe:

Oil dey your head.
Leave olodos to be saying it's the second
Lol but it's obviously the third sentence.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Paramount01(m): 11:33am On May 04, 2022
yemobrown:
And is used to connect words of the same part of speech, clauses, or sentences, that are to be taken jointly. "bread and butter"

Home Grammar Punctuation How to use a comma (,)

How to use a comma (,)
A comma marks a slight break between different parts of a sentence. Used properly, commas make the meaning of sentences clear by grouping and separating words, phrases, and clauses. Many people are uncertain about the use of commas, though, and often sprinkle them throughout their writing without knowing the basic rules.

Here are the main cases when you need to use a comma:

in lists
in direct speech
to separate clauses
to mark off certain parts of a sentence
with 'however'
Using commas in lists
You need to put a comma between the different items in a list, as in the following sentences:

Saturday morning started with a hearty breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and French toast.

The school has a vegetable garden in which the children grow cabbages, onions, potatoes, and carrots.

The final comma in these lists (before the word ‘and’) is known as the ‘serial comma’. Not all writers or publishers use it, but it is used by Oxford Dictionaries – some people refer to it as ‘the Oxford comma’. Using it can make your meaning clearer. Take a look at this sentence:

My favourite sandwiches are chicken, bacon and ham and cheese.

It isn’t entirely clear from this sentence whether the writer is listing three or four of their favourite sandwich fillings: is ‘ham’ one of their favourites and ‘cheese’ another, or is it ‘ham and cheese’ that they like? Adding an Oxford comma makes the meaning clear:

My favourite sandwiches are chicken, bacon, and ham and cheese.

Using commas in direct speech
When a writer quotes a speaker’s words exactly as they were spoken, this is known as direct speech. If the piece of direct speech comes after the information about who is speaking, you need to use a comma to introduce the direct speech. The comma comes before the first quotation mark. Note that the final quotation mark follows the full stop at the end of the direct speech:

Steve replied, ‘No problem.’

You also need to use a comma at the end of a piece of direct speech, if the speech comes before the information about who is speaking. In this case, the comma goes inside the quotation mark:

‘I don’t agree,’ I replied.

‘Here we are,' they said.

There are two exceptions to this rule. If a piece of direct speech takes the form of a question or an exclamation, you should end it with a question mark or an exclamation mark, rather than a comma:

‘Stop him!’ she shouted.

‘Did you see that?’ he asked.

Direct speech is often broken up by the information about who is speaking. In these cases, you need a comma to end the first piece of speech (inside the quotation mark) and another comma before the second piece (before the quotation mark):

‘Yes,’ he said, ‘and I always keep my promises.’

‘Thinking back,’ she added, ‘I didn’t expect to win.’

You seems to understand the subject matter very well,I don't mind u teaching me4
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by NBMayo1993: 3:20pm On May 04, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:
The third sentence is the correct one.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

This Happened At My Children's School Today / Ransome Kuti Memorial Grammar School 1988 Set Celebrates 35th Years Anniversary / From Kindergarten To Graduation: Photos Of A Mother And Daughter Go Viral On Twi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.