Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,766 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) (57511 Views)

Afghan Girls Stage Protest, Demand Taliban Reopen Schools (Photos) / New Kano Almajiri Boarding Schools (Photos) / Akwa Ibom Pencils Used In American Schools (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by abdsamad(m): 11:44pm On May 03, 2022
Congratulations for growing up and still not realising how much damage you incurred in your childhood.
Raising children in fear does no real good for them. I have patients at 20 who are still incapacitated by the amount of abuse they endured.
As for the "normal" ones who didn't apparently suffer long term consequences... Well, look closely. Some are prone to violent behaviours because violence was normalised for them at an early age, others accept victimhood mentality because the fight was beaten out of them a long time ago.

Granted, children should be disciplined and to do it properly the educators must be well trained, well compensated and not overwhelmed. So, the behaviour of the teachers was in essence a symptom of the disease.

If children are turning out worse today, it's not because teachers are no longer monsters. Instead it is because they are exposed to other negatively influential things at home because of absent or ineffective parenting or the cold hands of the internet, among other things.

May god help us help ourselves

1 Like

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Aystarz: 11:53pm On May 03, 2022
Balerion:
The practice has been banned in all public schools in ogun state

Little wonder teenage cultism and skull mining is on the rise over there.

1 Like

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Legendguy(m): 12:08am On May 04, 2022
Air force secondary school Ikeja showed me shege back then. Lcpl Abdul and MWO Maha Cain those years reset my life. If you chop vain from these two soldiers ehh, it will make you prepare for the challenges of life afterwards
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by rickdaking(m): 1:04am On May 04, 2022
Radionigeria:
I don't want to remember my secondary school days abeg. It was like hell on earth. My father was always coming to school to fight my teachers and senior. I hope our schools are doing better now in arear of abuse.
@op, are u still at large?
Znation he dey ask u if u still dey run frm ur Gf mama ?

1 Like

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by xeju: 1:17am On May 04, 2022
Notyourtype:
I'm a teacher.. That's how we add sense to their brain. If you don't punish them, they won't grow a single sense.
Mumu teacher. If this the only way you can train a child, that means you as a human/teacher are extremely useless
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by labak1997: 1:32am On May 04, 2022
I am an educator and this is the most sensible piece. You absolutely nailed it in the head. Reading all the posts, it is pathetic to know that most Nigerians believe that you need to break a child to make a child. No wonder the country is full of psychopaths. Nigeria has become a killing field and killing one another is a child’s play.

Let’s be factual, look at Nigeria, everybody is angry and there is violence everywhere. How worse can a country become? If beating really helped, we would not be cursed with the type of leaders and parents we have in the country at the moment. I am pretty sure they are all products of the beating generation.

Charity begins at home. If anyone has a right to beat children it should be parents, not teachers, even that is debatable. There are better ways to nurture children than treating them like animals. Why then, does it surprise us when they act like animals? It is unfortunate that most parents have lost it. If parents are firm and spend time with their kids, train them well instead of chasing wealth, we would have well behaved, assertive and confident children who are truly going places and not shadow chasers. Consequently, we would have well behaved adults and society.

Teachers should never have the right to inflict violence on their students. That is giving them absolute power which they can use to make the children do whatever they want and threaten them to keep quiet about it. It is sad that most of the posts are actually subscribing to teachers beating their pupils. This is how you allow sadists and sexual predators to unleash their terror on our children.

Nigeria is regressive because we refuse to move on from our archaic ways of doing things that are clearly not adding value to us and embrace best practices around the world that can help us to build good productive citizens. A country is only as good as the people in it!

With all our moral high ground in comparison to other countries, where exactly are we?

abdsamad:
Congratulations for growing up and still not realising how much damage you incurred in your childhood.
Raising children in fear does no real good for them. I have patients at 20 who are still incapacitated by the amount of abuse they endured.
As for the "normal" ones who didn't apparently suffer long term consequences... Well, look closely. Some are prone to violent behaviours because violence was normalised for them at an early age, others accept victimhood mentality because the fight was beaten out of them a long time ago.

Granted, children should be disciplined and to do it properly the educators must be well trained, well compensated and not overwhelmed. So, the behaviour of the teachers was in essence a symptom of the disease.

If children are turning out worse today, it's not because teachers are no longer monsters. Instead it is because they are exposed to other negatively influential things at home because of absent or ineffective parenting or the cold hands of the internet, among other things.

May god help us help ourselves

1 Like

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Akharmony: 1:48am On May 04, 2022
Notyourtype:
I'm a teacher.. That's how we add sense to their brain. If you don't punish them, they won't grow a single sense.
you are a bastard if you think this is right. . you will doe by hanging. . Oloriburuku
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by madjune(m): 1:52am On May 04, 2022
Some of us were asked to cut grass under the mid day sun with those long fickle wooden machetes.

I remember Teacher Ekeche standing over me to watch me cut the whole green expanse even as I complained.
I guess Mother nature heard my cries as this long, Black monstrous snake leapt out past me and headed straight for the chair where Teacher Eketche sat.

Only God saved him as he tumbled over and ran, screaming.
After that day, he never bothered me with any form of punishment when I erred.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I'd see him looking at me in some funny way and telling whoever cared to listen, " That boy must be from Mbanufo, the snake
Worshipping village."

Abeg o. No be me. I was lucky I didn't see the snake or, the snake didn't see me because, na different matter e for be.
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Timoleon(m): 2:31am On May 04, 2022
She meet her ancestor grin
Vinnie2000:
Na really Good evening sir

1 Like

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by harmargedon: 3:02am On May 04, 2022
DropsMic:

English men also introduced reproduction to us right. Go ye into the world and multiply.
they chose to control theirs. We are not more populated than China or India. Until we see it fit to control then we will. They once had population more than we did, many of them died in war, some hunger, some disease.
I guess you never wondered what brought them to Africa in the first place.
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Victerica(m): 3:55am On May 04, 2022
Rich4god:
If this punishment weren't given to us back then, a lot of us for spoil finish.

Now compare our time with now that teachers are scared to flog students and see the gap in been responsible.

The average Nigerian is more or less, a lower animal!

That is why, the punishment is needed for correction!

The only problem is the abuse!
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Victerica(m): 4:00am On May 04, 2022
labak1997:
I am an educator and this is the most sensible piece. You absolutely nailed it in the head. Reading all the posts, it is pathetic to know that most Nigerians believe that you need to break a child to make a child. No wonder the country is full of psychopaths. Nigeria has become a killing field and killing one another is a child’s play.

Let’s be factual, look at Nigeria, everybody is angry and there is violence everywhere. How worse can a country become? If beating really helped, we would not be cursed with the type of leaders and parents we have in the country at the moment. I am pretty sure they are all products of the beating generation.

Charity begins at home. If anyone has a right to beat children it should be parents, not teachers, even that is debatable. There are better ways to nurture children than treating them like animals. Why then, does it surprise us when they act like animals? It is unfortunate that most parents have lost it. If parents are firm and spend time with their kids, train them well instead of chasing wealth, we would have well behaved, assertive and confident children who are truly going places and not shadow chasers. Consequently, we would have well behaved adults and society.

Teachers should never have the right to inflict violence on their students. That is giving them absolute power which they can use to make the children do whatever they want and threaten them to keep quiet about it. It is sad that most of the posts are actually subscribing to teachers beating their pupils. This is how you allow sadists and sexual predators to unleash their terror on our children.

Nigeria is regressive because we refuse to move on from our archaic ways of doing things that are clearly not adding value to us and embrace best practices around the world that can help us to build good productive citizens. A country is only as good as the people in it!

With all our moral high ground in comparison to other countries, where exactly are we?

The only problem here, is that, many teachers abuse the disciplinary measures!

To flog person as the person's teacher, no bad!

Many people dey behave like lower animals, these punishments can be used to reset their brains!
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by genitori(m): 4:25am On May 04, 2022
Notyourtype:

I understand you, but not all punishment is fit; some are abusive. Let's just be mindful of the type of punishment we give to them.

I must say, one of the reasons the students of this generation easily go wild is because they are not punished for their offences anymore, if you punished them, their parents would come to school to fight for them.
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by bepositive11: 4:54am On May 04, 2022
This is what happens when abuse becomes normal

There are better ways to discipline a child. How would you feel if someone gave you those punishments now as an adult? Now can you imagine how children feel about it?

Those punishments are one of the reasons why so many Nigerians struggle with mental health issues

Rich4god:
If this punishment weren't given to us back then, a lot of us for spoil finish.

Now compare our time with now that teachers are scared to flog students and see the gap in been responsible.

1 Like

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by yinkeys(m): 5:25am On May 04, 2022
Unnecessary panic attacks
Anxiety Disorder
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by 1stmojisola(m): 6:34am On May 04, 2022
This shii don reduce dem teacher don deh gas with dem iPad + dem don deh share update with dem students �
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by blackparadise: 6:43am On May 04, 2022
Dorwadora:
Good evening sir..... I graduated with the 2014 set.... Didn't have the late 190s and early 2000 experience smiley
ok... Wich school are you now. Or you have finish your University, do you base in ota
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Aiel123: 6:44am On May 04, 2022
Brandonx:
In government schools, the teachers don’t really care. I attended a private school till I got to SS1 I then went to a public school. My experience was terrible, I skipped classes and did all sorts of nonsense, even ate my school fee. grin

When I got to SS3 I stoped attending classes altogether but I would bath and leave the house every morning and return every afternoon grin

But I turned out fine tongue
I attended only one school throughout my secondary school year. I was flogged and did every other kind of punishment. But the height of it was being flogged on the assembly ground for incomplete note. The experience was humiliating
Jss to Ss2 things went smoothly
Till I enter ss3 then I no send anybody. I came to school at will, even got suspended for an act of stubbornness (my shoes was seized on Friday because I wore the wrong one. I struggle with the admin before he could forcefully take it of.f. He told me sternly that my shoes are gone for good.
But I took his words as nothing. After closing I approached his office with no atom of fear to collect my shoes. To God who made me,I never apologized for my rash behavior neither did I say a word. I stood, silent, remorseless which stoked the ire of the admin and he said what he said earlier. To cut the long story short I retrieved the seized shoe cunningly and ran home before it escalated to something else)
I was related to the owner of the school and my punishment reduced
Prior to now, I was lily livered, reticent and respectful to the teachers but I meandered on a much more adventurous lifestyle on reaching final year. Cap it all I was the best student throughout my secondary school
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Balerion: 6:46am On May 04, 2022
Aystarz:

Little wonder teenage cultism and skull mining is on the rise over there.
That's the fault of the society and bad parenting
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Godmademan(m): 6:54am On May 04, 2022
Dollywood:

Your Teacher was right. Your English speaks volume of how inattentive you was during your school days. cheesy
.... Inattentive you were.
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Elidrisy20: 7:10am On May 04, 2022
Brutality, that is why teachers will not make heaven
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Tribalism123(m): 7:36am On May 04, 2022
Reason why 30yrs and above still have their sanity and conscience. U collect for school... U collect for home..
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Bahamas95(m): 7:39am On May 04, 2022
I can't relate that much because what I experienced wasn't that serious. I attended private schools from nursery to secondary.

The first time I handled a cutlass was in SS1 during agricultural science practical in the school garden.......We were even catching cruise with it.
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by effort1: 7:50am On May 04, 2022
Ladymogana:
Na today you know say naija na bush. If i wasn't strong, my chemistry teacher would have killed me with cane because i don't know to name of H20..

How will you be a chemistry student but don't know the name of H2O?
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by effort1: 8:10am On May 04, 2022
SUPERPACK:
Blame the government not the teachers. What do you expect when a lecturer is paid ×6 of the salary of an average primary/secondary school teacher and yet they secondary teachers does the harder job. As long as this teachers slavery continues never expect a change.

What kind of dumb reasoning is this one?

How can a secondary and University teachers be paid the same salaries?

Don't you even feel dumb making this comment?
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Koachie: 8:37am On May 04, 2022
All dis kind beating and punishment make most of us get sense today, this generation wey dem no dey flog nor punish shea no be dem dey misbehave upandan so...
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Glory2DLamb(m): 8:39am On May 04, 2022
Reading through the comments, the written English alone betrays the character of the commenters. And one wonders why such disciplinary measures should not be increased. When one comes late to school, is unruly in class and boasts about it, why would anyone wonder why things are as they are in the country.
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Airoflaw(m): 8:55am On May 04, 2022
Na general beating ooo.na gege me dey go
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Dorwadora(f): 9:17am On May 04, 2022
blackparadise:
ok... Wich school are you now. Or you have finish your University, do you base in ota
I'm a final year student at EKSU. But we still stay at ota.
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by SUPERPACK: 9:26am On May 04, 2022
effort1:

What kind of dumb reasoning is this one?

How can a secondary and University teachers be paid the same salaries?

Don't you even feel dumb making this comment?
The rants of a 21st century illiterate
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by DropsMic(m): 9:41am On May 04, 2022
harmargedon:
they chose to control theirs. We are not more populated than China or India. Until we see it fit to control then we will. They once had population more than we did, many of them died in war, some hunger, some disease.
I guess you never wondered what brought them to Africa in the first place.
Someone doesn't understand sarcasm

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by SUPERPACK: 9:47am On May 04, 2022
bepositive11:
This is what happens when abuse becomes normal

There are better ways to discipline a child. How would you feel if someone gave you those punishments now as an adult? Now can you imagine how children feel about it?

Those punishments are one of the reasons why so many Nigerians struggle with mental health issues

mention the better ways.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FUTA Student Who Was Reported Missing Found. See What Happened. Photos / Osun University Student Commits Suicide After Posting Messages On WhatsApp / The 'Anti-Cheating' Exam Hats Used By Students In Philippines (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.