Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,803 members, 7,824,339 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

When Oil Finishes, What Next? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Oil Finishes, What Next? (3616 Views)

What Okonjo-Iweala Said When Oil Was $76 Per Barrel (Flash Back) / What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel / Photo: When Buhari Finishes With Nepa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Xris74: 5:55am On Aug 08, 2007
Oil is a non-renewable energy resource. Oloibiri (Bayelsa State), where the first oil well was discovered in 1965, challenges Nigeria to attend to the matter of diversifying the economy quickly. All that remains of Oloibiri today is the capped, emptied well, a reminder of the worse future that  awaits everyone. Oloibiri is abandoned to its fate – Nigeria will be too, when it is finally over. It is a matter of time, but the warnings are clear enough. Nigeria is replete with many different natural resources, so that there should be no problems exploiting them for the growth of the economy.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by denex: 8:40am On Aug 08, 2007
@Xris74

you have come again. This same you that claimed it was Oby Ezekwesili who discovered gold in Kaduna?

You have come again that oil was discovered in Nigeria in 1965. Please check well. Oil was discovered in commercial quantities before independence in that same Oloibiri.

@topic

After oil, there's Uranium in the Northern parts of Nigeria and also Calabar. There is also coal in Enugu, Aba, Kogi, Benue and other undeveloped mines worth a total of $56 billion.

For those of you who do not know, coal is a very modern energy source that is being used in Large Power stations in the EU, China,and the USA. Liquified Coal has also newly been developed and is performing wonderfully.

So with immeasurable weath Uranium and about $56 billion dollars of confirmed coal deposits, after oil, there's much much too much.

And this is only for the Energy Sector, we've not talked about services, tourism, Gold, Entertainment, tantalite, tin and iron ore. Which level? Nigeria future too secure.

God Bless Nigeria.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Xris74: 1:11pm On Aug 08, 2007
Before you begin ranting, note that I merely posted the Gold story from a Nigerian newspaper. I never wrote it. Perhaps I forgot to add the link?

As for Oloibiri, I meant to write 1956 and not 1965. My error.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by aljharem(m): 3:17am On Dec 14, 2010
denex:

@Xris74

you have come again. This same you that claimed it was Oby Ezekwesili who discovered gold in Kaduna?

You have come again that oil was discovered in Nigeria in 1965. Please check well. Oil was discovered in commercial quantities before independence in that same Oloibiri.

@topic

After oil, there's Uranium in the Northern parts of Nigeria and also Calabar. There is also coal in Enugu, Aba, Kogi, Benue and other undeveloped mines worth a total of $56 billion.

For those of you who do not know, coal is a very modern energy source that is being used in Large Power stations in the EU, China,and the USA. Liquified Coal has also newly been developed and is performing wonderfully.

So with immeasurable weath Uranium and about $56 billion dollars of confirmed coal deposits, after oil, there's much much too much.

And this is only for the Energy Sector, we've not talked about services, tourism, Gold, Entertainment, tantalite, tin and iron ore. Which level? Nigeria future too secure.

God Bless Nigeria.

and God bless u too
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by chyz(m): 3:21am On Dec 14, 2010
@Topic, the north reveals that they now have oil but by that time oil will have become useless. grin
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by aljharem(m): 3:22am On Dec 14, 2010
chyz:

@Topic, the north reveals that they now have oil but by that time oil will have become useless. grin
and we will go to coal in enugu wink
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by igbobuigbo: 3:24am On Dec 14, 2010
Everybody will go back to their village. Then the brain box of Nigeria will find a way thru grin grin grin grin
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by aljharem(m): 3:26am On Dec 14, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Everybody will go back to their village. Then the brain box of Nigeria will find a way thru grin grin grin grin

abi brother angry

i am going back to my village in ebonyi and enugu and alot of northerners would move there also cheesy so we can be close to our igbo brothers
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by mensdept: 3:57am On Dec 14, 2010
Let the oil finish, every drop can go.

Look at the Muslim states like UAE and Qatar, see how they have used their oil wealth responsibly. Yet Naija folks from Katsina to Kwara are busy booking flights to Saudi for hajj.

Local people with inferiority complex
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by DapoBear(m): 6:04am On Dec 14, 2010
I'm hoping that my neck of the woods achieves fiscal independence from oil well before it runs out.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by igbobuigbo: 7:03am On Dec 14, 2010
DapoBear:

I'm hoping that my neck of the woods achieves fiscal independence from oil well before it runs out.

This guy, you are a covert tribalist grin grin grin grin grin
Always looking out only for your neck of the wood.
So you want to finish the oil from other people's neck of the wood before starting to enjoy your phantom fiscal independence? grin grin grin grin
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Omenani(m): 7:14am On Dec 14, 2010
The oil in Igboland hasn't been tapped into praise the Lord. And I do not think it will ever be fully tapped into if the Igbo remain in Nigeria. As soon as the oil in Imo and Abia is touched, you better believe the wider Igbo will not allow that to happen.

And why does oil have to finish? Can't Nigeria diversify its industry. I heard that Nigeria has large natural gas reserves. Especially in South-West Nigeria. That will be tapped into next.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 7:36am On Dec 14, 2010
igbobuigbo:

This guy, you are a covert tribalist grin grin grin grin grin
Always looking out only for your neck of the wood.
Covert? I am obvious, blatant, and a proud tribalist! Why should I look out for people who are not my own?

So you want to finish the oil from other people's neck of the wood before starting to enjoy your phantom fiscal independence? grin grin grin grin
I'm pro resource control, personally. But I certainly will not turn away the money under the current arrangement smiley

Omenani:

The oil in Igboland hasn't been tapped into praise the Lord. And I do not think it will ever be fully tapped into if the Igbo remain in Nigeria. As soon as the oil in Imo and Abia is touched, you better believe the wider Igbo will not allow that to happen.
Lol, at if Igbo people can prevent oil in their land from being tapped. You'd better pray that it isn't commercially viable there wink Also, there is still the coal of Enugu that remains unharvested, and ripe for the plucking  grin
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by igbobuigbo: 7:49am On Dec 14, 2010
eku_bear:

Covert? I am obvious, blatant, and a proud tribalist! Why should I look out for people who are not my own?
I'm pro resource control, personally. But I certainly will not turn away the money under the current arrangement smiley
Lol, at if Igbo people can prevent oil in their land from being tapped. You'd better pray that it isn't commercially viable there wink Also, there is still the coal of Enugu that remains unharvested, and ripe for the plucking  grin

I hear you. Then I will be on your case henceforth.  grin grin grin grin

There is commercial oil and gas in Imo and Abia. Hence they are among the nine oil-producing states
Also abundant oil in Anambra not yet tapped
http://allafrica.com/stories/201012020926.html
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201001241274534
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 7:51am On Dec 14, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Also abundant oil in Anambra not yet tapped

Don't worry your head, Nigeria will tap it smiley
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Nobody: 7:56am On Dec 14, 2010
chyz:

Negative. Who told you that's not what they use for their suya ?

@Post
I want it to finish ASAP.
Then it means the ND will be relieved and more comfortable. Innocent people will suffer less, because to say "no more suffering" in a Nigerian setting would be ignorant.

And oh yes, what we all want. . . .Breakage or a regional governance. Crossing my finger on the former.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by igbobuigbo: 8:02am On Dec 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Negative. Who told you that's not what they use for their suya ?

@Post
I want it to finish ASAP.
Then it means the ND will be relieved and more comfortable. Innocent people will suffer less, because to say "no more suffering" in a Nigerian setting would be ignorant.

And oh yes, what we all want. . . .Breakage or a regional governance. Crossing my finger on the former.

There is no breakage and there is no regional govt. You guys are too late now. We stick together or die together. No more Biafra, so no Oduduwa either.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Nobody: 8:06am On Dec 14, 2010
igbobuigbo:

There is no breakage and there is no regional govt. You guys are too late now. We stick together or die together. No more Biafra, so no Oduduwa either.

Hehehe, we dont want it anymore. If this our Yoruba leaders can get themselves together so that we can break free to meet our brothers in Benin/Peurto Rico. Becommrich WILL be our president.
Dnt jelos us.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by igbobuigbo: 8:08am On Dec 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Hehehe, we dont want it anymore. If this our Yoruba leaders can get themselves together so that we can break free to meet our brothers in Benin/Peurto Rico. Becommrich WILL be our president.
Dnt jelos us.

You mean the leaders exchanging blows in the newspapers? Na today? Awo is dead and things have since fallen apart. grin grin grin grin
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Nobody: 8:10am On Dec 14, 2010
igbobuigbo:

You mean the leaders exchanging blows in the newspapers? Na today? Awo is dead and things have since fallen apart. grin grin grin grin

Just wait and see. Wait for Wole Soyinka's "Things Don Shele" and "Things don Shege".
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by strangerf: 8:41am On Dec 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Just waint and see. Wait for Wole Soyinka's "Things Don Shele" and "Things don Shege".

Lol!

Lovely profile pic nevertheless!
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 14, 2010
strangerf:

Lol!

Lovely profile pic nevertheless!

Thanks, again.
23yrs ago. . .
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by strangerf: 8:44am On Dec 14, 2010
igbobuigbo:

If we want to break, we will leave cleanly

Yoruba style; smartly, bloodlessly, and proudly!
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 8:48am On Dec 14, 2010
Ileke, why are you lying about your age? I recognize that table, my neighbor has one that looks exactly like it. Like, literally exactly.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by strangerf: 8:50am On Dec 14, 2010
^^^

Who knows why?

Maybe she doesnt want to be hit on by eku_bear
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 8:50am On Dec 14, 2010
I am actually praying for the oil to finish so that we know who really wants to stay with who in Nigeria.
What we have now is oil-based marriage.

May be then, I get my respect as an Igboman. cool
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 14, 2010
eku_bear:

Ileke, why are you lying about your age? I recognize that table, my neighbor has one that looks exactly like it. Like, literally exactly.

Me and your neighbor = Good taste.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 8:54am On Dec 14, 2010
@fstranger: Haha, fair point. I'm very hesitant to hit on girls from Ekiti though. Recently I was been burned by finding out that a chick from Ekiti I found attractive was TOO closely related to me. Like, TOO close. Like, same village, my daddy and her daddy are cousins, close.

Fortunately things didn't progress enough to risk inbreeding, lol.

Girl had a banging body though, made me sad  undecided She ran track in college and had an amazing behind. . .
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by bashr4: 8:55am On Dec 14, 2010
hmmm ileke-idi is hot oo and because of that yoruba is goin nowhere wheter oil finish or not.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by strangerf: 9:01am On Dec 14, 2010
eku_bear:

@fstranger: Haha, fair point. I'm very hesitant to hit on girls from Ekiti though. Recently I was been burned by finding out that a chick from Ekiti I found attractive was TOO closely related to me. Like, TOO close. Like, same village, my daddy and her daddy are cousins, close.

Fortunately things didn't progress enough to risk inbreeding, lol.

Girl had a banging body though, made me sad undecided She ran track in college and had an amazing behind. . .

Glad to know Ileke is not in your radar

Seems the coast is clear for Ileke and I to live happily forever after. Good thing, I am into sugar mama, cougar ish.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 9:02am On Dec 14, 2010
Onlytruth:

I am actually praying for the oil to finish so that we know who really wants to stay with who in Nigeria.
What we have now is oil-based marriage.

I think we already know who wants to stay in Nigeria, right? Those without oil, those who would be landlocked. Fortunately for my people, we have both oil and access to the sea. Oil isn't much, but it is good enough to fund other industries.

And of course, we have the wonderful city/metropolis of Lagos. This is our ace card. I feel pretty good about our future if (when?) Nigeria separates.

EDIT: typos
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 9:07am On Dec 14, 2010
strangerf:

Glad to know Ileke is not in your radar

Seems the coast is clear for Ileke and I to live happily forever after. Good thing, I am into sugar mama, cougar ish.

Everyone loves MILFs smiley Very Hot, low amounts of drama. A win/win combination.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nuhu Ribadu: A Villain Or Hero? / Does Sanusi Have A Hidden Agenda?unanswered Questions About Bank Mds’ Removal / Fuel Scarcity Persists Across Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.