Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,182 members, 7,849,678 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:46 AM

When Oil Finishes, What Next? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Oil Finishes, What Next? (3629 Views)

What Okonjo-Iweala Said When Oil Was $76 Per Barrel (Flash Back) / What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel / Photo: When Buhari Finishes With Nepa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 10:44am On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

Look dude, my problem with you is that you are in western Nigeria and dissecting eastern Nigeria according to your devious yardsticks. That is wicked.
What is wicked about political analysis? What am I gaining from my "wickedness"? If I say, "Taiwan doesn't really want to join China, but because of XYZ are being drawn closer and closer", am I also being wicked to the Chinese or something?

You are NOT interested in your survival (unless you've been lying  undecided).
Not sure what you mean by this.

You've concentrated more on my survival even when your concerns are UNSOLICITED and UNINVITED. 
What does solicited or invited have to do with anything here? Must I ask permission to discuss certain issues? If it were entirely Igbo internal affairs, I could agree. But it is not, is it? Many other groups/ethncities are in SE Nigeria, are they not?
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by jason12345: 10:47am On Dec 15, 2010
@ dapo bear

. . . . .  and just to add to my post
biafra would probably be ravaged by civil war because of the various separate ethnic groups in it. it will just be another mini-nigeria with igbos as the northerner since they are the majority undecided and other ethnic groups will be trying to replace the yoruba and igbo in the new mini-nigeria. undecided

and anyone that tells me that they would govern through federalism is just joking undecided because that was what nigeria did before we had a coup!!! history always tend to repeat itself undecided lipsrsealed
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 10:48am On Dec 15, 2010
PhysicsQED:

You do realize that if any of the three major groups leaves, Nigeria will immediately split?  Saying that if the Igbo leave then Nigeria will cease to be is accurate but maybe you're attributing to Onlytruth the idea that all the other groups in Nigeria will fail without the Igbo. I'm not certain that that's his position.

Thank you for this comment!

The guy keeps trying his best to prove that eastern minorities will not want to go with Igbo, or that Igboland will be landlocked, as if it concerns him, or as if he knows my IMMEDIATE neighbors more than me.

He has shifted to Ijaw, but I will leave him to believe what he wants. The topic is "when oil finishes, what next."

I guess we shall see then.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by jason12345: 10:51am On Dec 15, 2010
@ dapobear

sorry to add this again smiley

the only thing that unites the east is nigeria because they have a common enemy once that is gone, you would see the "true extent of alaigbo" grin grin grin.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 10:54am On Dec 15, 2010
jason12345:

@ dapo bear

. . . . .  and just to add to my post
biafra would probably be ravaged by civil war because of the various separate ethnic groups in it. it will just be another mini-nigeria with igbos as the northerner since they are the majority undecided and other ethnic groups will be trying to replace the yoruba and igbo in the new mini-nigeria. undecided

and anyone that tells me that they would govern through federalism is just joking undecided because that was what nigeria did before we had a coup!!! history always tend to repeat itself undecided lipsrsealed

To give you a perspective outside of your jaundiced Nigerian fixated one, what about a South African model whereby the Igbos will focus on industry, science, technology and commerce, while the minorities run the government and civil service? How about that? Did it ever occur to you that Igbo man is NOT really interested in politics, or that he is MORE interested in OTHER things than politics. Nigeria has polluted your mind so much that you can't even see what is right under your nose.

It will also be 90% CHRISTIAN. So, who will be fighting who? Have you EVER heard of intertribal war in eastern Nigeria? NEVER.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 10:57am On Dec 15, 2010
Maybe my understanding of the situation is completely wrong. Would be nice if some of the Eastern minorities on this forum could chime in.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by jason12345: 11:00am On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

To give you a perspective outside of your jaundiced Nigerian fixated one, what about a South African model whereby the Igbos will focus on industry, science, technology and commerce, while the minorities run the government and civil service? How about that? Did it ever occur to you that Igbo man is NOT really interested in politics, or that he is MORE interested in OTHER things than politics. Nigeria has polluted your mind so much that you can't even see what is right under your nose.

It will also be 90% CHRISTIAN. So, who will be fighting who? Have you EVER heard of intertribal war in eastern Nigeria? NEVER.

thats a lie!!! then why are interested in presidency now undecided since you are not "interested" in politics then why is it that when i asked other igbo man (igbobuigbo) about an eastern candidate and i mention utomi or donald duke he said they are not igbo so they cannot represent them undecided. you and i know that the scenario you stated above would not happen. why? nothing unites you not even language and yet you tell me the igbos would not be bothered about politics undecided. well, you are not the one that is going to determine that undecided cool cool cool.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by jason12345: 11:00am On Dec 15, 2010
eku_bear:

Maybe my understanding of the situation is completely wrong. Would be nice if some of the Eastern minorities on this forum could chime in.

gbamology grin
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 11:05am On Dec 15, 2010
jason12345:

thats a lie!!! then why are interested in presidency now undecided since you are not "interested" in politics then why is it that when i asked other igbo man (igbobuigbo) about an eastern candidate and i mention utomi or donald duke he said they are not igbo so they cannot represent them undecided. you and i know that the scenario you stated above would not happen. why? nothing unites you not even language and yet you tell me the igbos would not be bothered about politics undecided. well, you are not the one that is going to determine that undecided cool cool cool.

My guy, can't you even think at all?

So, you don't see that it all has to do with Nigeria? A country where if you are not in politics, you can't even do commerce or industry or business! Obasanjo almost single handedly destroyed all top Igbo businesses.

Igbo are in Nigerian politics because it has been used by your Yoruba people and Hausas to oppress them in Nigeria. That will not happen in Biafra for obvious reasons.

Remove Nigeria, and give us Biafra and you will be shocked to see it being run by minorities.

Igbo endorsement of Jonathan is a little proof.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by jason12345: 11:06am On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

thats because you were different distinct clans then and even now you all have a common enemy. once that is gone. . . . .  you know the rest!
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 11:09am On Dec 15, 2010
jason12345:

thats because you where different distinct clans then and even now you all have a common enemy. once that is gone. . . . .  you know the rest!

Eastern Nigeria is the most peaceful part of Nigeria, even before the coming of the European and since Nigeria became a country. There has never been intertribal wars in eastern Nigeria.

There has been intra-community conflicts, but NOT inter-tribal wars.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by jason12345: 11:10am On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

My guy, can't you even think at all?

So, you don't see that it all has to do with Nigeria? A country where if you are not in politics, you can't even do commerce or industry or business! Obasanjo almost single handedly destroyed all top Igbo businesses.

Igbo are in Nigerian politics because it has been used by your Yoruba people and Hausas to oppress them in Nigeria. That will not happen in Biafra for obvious reasons.

Remove Nigeria, and give us Biafra and you will be shocked to see it being run by minorities for many years.

Igbo endorsement of Jonathan is a little proof.

as i said the ohanaeze endorsement has nothing to do with this! they endorsed GJ because they expect GJ to "handover" the presidency to an igbo man after his tenure.

and how is it possible to be ran by minorities? when it is going to be a mini-nigeria with a mixture of heterogeneous ethnic groups? anyway, we shall see cool
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by jason12345: 11:13am On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

Eastern Nigeria is the most peaceful part of Nigeria, even before the coming of the European and since Nigeria became a country. There has never been intertribal wars in eastern Nigeria.

There has been intra-community conflicts, but NOT inter-tribal wars.

i already answered that
jason12345:

thats because you were different distinct clans ( intra community conflicts) then and even now you all have a common enemy (nigeria). once that is gone. . . . .  you know the rest!
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 11:16am On Dec 15, 2010
jason12345:

as i said the ohanaeze endorsement has nothing to do with this! they endorsed GJ because they expect GJ to "handover" the presidency to an igbo man after his tenure.

and how is it possible to be ran by minorities? [b]when it is going to be a mini-nigeria [/b]with a mixture of heterogeneous ethnic groups? anyway, we shall see cool

It will NOT be mini-Nigeria because the majority tribe (Igbo) will for once concentrate on things that make a country rich -science, technology, industry, commerce, instead of imposing a lazy culture on a country, with a born to rule mentality. Did you think about that?  

Again, we are 90% Christian. Did you think about that?  
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 11:19am On Dec 15, 2010
I just think human beings are human beings. Nobody is going to turn down political power if they can have it. Are Igbo not human, that they won't be interested in politics in a country in which they are 80%+ of the population?

Does such exist anywhere else in the world? I don't understand how "We do the economy, minorities do politics" is going to be sustainable longterm. Not to mention, what of minorities who are interested in business and industry?

Too much of this doesn't make sense, just sounds very implausible to me.

Also, Christianity alone is not going to erase ethnicity. Like, there are plenty of examples of countries where the internal beef was between two different Christian sides. . .

EDIT: ethnicity misspelled
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by jason12345: 11:21am On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

It will NOT be mini-Nigeria because the majority tribe (Igbo) will for once concentrate on things that make a country rich -science, technology, industry, commerce, instead of imposing a lazy culture on a country, with a born to rule mentality.  Did you think about that?  

Again, we are 90% Christian. Did you think about that?  

it has nothing to do with Christianity! when crimes are committed in the west or east, do any of the criminals remember Christ then? same goes for politics and cohesion. most southerners are Christians but that does not mean there is any cohesion between them. although, i must agree, there would be some of cohesion but that cohesion might not be strong enough when greed comes to play. undecided
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 11:25am On Dec 15, 2010
eku_bear:

I just think human beings are human beings. Nobody is going to turn down political power if they can have it. Are Igbo not human, that they won't be interested in politics in a country in which they are 80%+ of the population?

Does such exist anywhere else in the world? I don't understand how "We do the economy, minorities do politics" is going to be sustainable longterm. Not to mention, what of minorities who are interested in business and industry?

Too much of this doesn't make sense, just sounds very implausible to me.

Also, Christianity alone is not going to erase ethnicity. Like, there are plenty of examples of countries where the internal beef was between two different Christian sides. . .

EDIT: ethnicity misspelled

A lot of it won't make sense to you because you have been conditioned to Nigerian way of thinking.  undecided

Overwhelming majority of Igbo people would rather do other things than be civil servants or politicians (in a country where GRAFT will be IMPOSSIBLE).
You keep thinking there will still be oil money to steal. undecided No, there won't be. undecided

All the money will come from business and personal income taxes. You steal, get convicted and face death by hanging.  cool Then politics loses much of its lure. You can't make money from it. Most Igbo men hate where they can't make money. Did you think about that?
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by jason12345: 11:29am On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

A lot of it won't make sense to you because you have been conditioned to Nigerian way of thinking.  undecided

Overwhelming majority of Igbo people would rather do other things than be civil servants or politicians (in a country where GRAFT will be IMPOSSIBLE).
You keep thinking there will still be oil money to steal. undecided No, there won't be. undecided

All the money will come from business and personal income taxes. You steal, get convicted and face death by hanging.  cool Then politics loses much of its lure. You can't make money from it. Most Igbo men hate where they can't make money. Did you think about that?

ROMFL!!! LOL grin grin grin grin. NA WA FOR THIS YOUR NEW COUNTRY OOO! grin grin grin grin. to be serious, we should implement that into law in nigeria!
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 11:29am On Dec 15, 2010
When the laws are in place, ANYONE who wants to do business will do business. It is not an exclusive preserve of any group. I'm just illustrating that folks like myself will be too deep into business to even think about politics or civil service.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 11:31am On Dec 15, 2010
jason12345:

ROMFL!!! LOL grin grin grin grin. NA WA FOR THIS YOUR NEW COUNTRY OOO! grin grin grin grin. to be serious, we should implement that into law in nigeria!

I told you that you are too fixated on Nigeria. It will NEVER happen in Nigeria. Since I was a kid, Igboland always dealt with thieves harshly. It won't change in Biafra.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Bawss1(m): 11:48am On Dec 15, 2010
When the oil dries up in Nigeria we'll invade Ghana and start the Nigerian drama all over again. This time it will be on a larger scale with more ethnic groups.  smiley
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 11:53am On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

A lot of it won't make sense to you because you have been conditioned to Nigerian way of thinking.  undecided
I left Nigeria when I was 4, and am 25 now. Like, in thought and mentality I'm mostly American. Some aspects of Nigeria are unique to it, but others are universal. Again, there is no democracy on the face of the earth where a majority (in this case, an overwhelming majority, 80%+ of the population) is somehow "uninterested" in politics. Are the Igbo not human beings?

So in your mind, the only way someone is interested in politics is to steal? smiley Obama, Bill Clinton, Bloomberg (already a billionaire!), they all went there to steal money? There are just some fundamental laws of human nature that for some reason you keep ignoring.

All the money will come from business and personal income taxes. You steal, get convicted and face death by hanging.  cool Then politics loses much of its lure. You can't make money from it. Most Igbo men hate where they can't make money. Did you think about that?

OK. I was under the assumption that your goal would be to build a Western-style democracy. In such democracies, people are attracted to politics even though it is relatively difficult to get rich from. Yet somehow, in this new country, a supermajorty (the Igbos) would have zero interest in politics? When did Igbo become robots, rather than human beings, lol
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 12:01pm On Dec 15, 2010
eku_bear:

I left Nigeria when I was 4, and am 25 now. Like, in thought and mentality I'm mostly American. Some aspects of Nigeria are unique to it, but others are universal. Again, there is no democracy on the face of the earth where a majority (in this case, an overwhelming majority, 80%+ of the population) is somehow "uninterested" in politics. Are the Igbo not human beings?
So in your mind, the only way someone is interested in politics is to steal? smiley Obama, Bill Clinton, Bloomberg (already a billionaire!), they all went there to steal money? There are just some fundamental laws of human nature that for some reason you keep ignoring.

OK. I was under the assumption that your goal would be to build a Western-style democracy. In such democracies, people are attracted to politics even though it is relatively difficult to get rich from. Yet somehow, in this new country, a supermajorty (the Igbos) would have zero interest in politics? When did Igbo become robots, rather than human beings, lol

The Igbo are more interested in other things than politics. It is not always that majority tribes insist on leading in a DEVELOPED country. Obama is a proof to that.

My point is that the lies about Igbo marginalizing the minority will not materialize. It will be a country designed to be deliberately and diametrically opposed to the Nigerian model of "majority vs minority", "winner takes all", "born to rule" and all the nonsense jargon that renders a potential giant impotent. None of it will happen in Biafra because Nigeria has been all the lessons we needed.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 12:13pm On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

The Igbo are more interested in other things than politics. It is not always that majority tribes insist on leading in a DEVELOPED country. Obama is a proof to that.
Eh, Obama is one out of 40+ presidents and has a somewhat tenuous hold on power. I'm a fan of the guy and voted for him, but am not sure he is the best example to use. Obamas do not grow on trees, and even Obama's success is not nearly a given.

My point is that the lies about Igbo marginalizing the minority will not materialize. It will be a country designed to be deliberately and diametrically opposed to the Nigerian model of "majority vs minority", "winner takes all", "born to rule" and all the nonsense jargon that renders a potential giant impotent. None of it will happen in Biafra because Nigeria has been all the lessons we needed.
This is a good goal. I think if you enshrine political strength for minorities in your constitution (the US Senate is basically an example of this), then things will work out well. It would be pretty easy to sell Biafra to Eastern minorities if say the presidency were relatively weak, the Senate quite strong, and some overwhelming supermajority is required in the Senate to get things done.

That way minorities have constitution rights and mechanisms to prevent themselves from being numerically overwhelmed.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by vicenzo(m): 3:02am On Dec 16, 2010
Onlytruth,what is it u are arguing with eku/dapo bear.I thought all this land lock issue was thrashed in the thread called THE TRUE EXTENT OF ALAIGBO. Igboland has never been,is not and will never be landlocked.Where is ezeuche,obiagu1, udezue,ezeagu and andre?
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by aljharem(m): 3:24am On Dec 16, 2010
vicenzo:

Onlytruth,what is it u are arguing with eku/dapo bear.I thought all this land lock issue was thrashed in the thread called THE TRUE EXTENT OF ALAIGBO. Igboland has never been,is not and will never be landlocked.Where is ezeuche,obiagu1, udezue,ezeagu and andre?

vicenzo i like u because u are my brother but respect urself undecided

pls do not get involve with this people so as to keep ur respect sad
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 3:39am On Dec 16, 2010
alj harem:

vicenzo i like u because u are my brother but respect urself undecided

pls do not get involve with this people so as to keep your respect sad

And who are the people you are referring to? Who are "this people"?
almajiri goat.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by aljharem(m): 3:43am On Dec 16, 2010
Onlytruth:

And who are the people you are referring to? Who are "this people"?
almajiri goat.

why my brother, why do u have to call me a goat

remember, i am u distant brother by blood, so if i am a goat then u a definitely a cow undecided
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 3:51am On Dec 16, 2010
alj harem:

why my brother, why do u have to call me a goat

remember, i am u distant brother by blood, so if i am a goat then u a definitely a cow undecided

Actually we are not related and you know it.
You are a goat with a gun cool, while I am a lion.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by jason12345: 3:52am On Dec 16, 2010
Onlytruth:

Actually we are not related and you know it.
You are a goat with a gun cool, while I am a lion.
grin grin grin grin chei!!! NL FUNNY OOO!!!
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by bashr4: 11:42pm On Dec 16, 2010
from the early ages igbo have been praticing true federalism, is that not why they are opposed to the nigerian style of government and marginalisation so what makes anyone think they will do the same thing nigerian govt did to them.

secondly if nigeria breaks up igbo in lagos need not go anywhere except maybe those in civil service , but an igbo man living and working or doing buisness in lagos is the same thing as one in london and atlanta etc so where is he goin?

thirdly i have already treated the propagansa of igbos being landlocked
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-569408.0.html

me personally as an igbo man i dont care about polistics or power , i dont have a single uncle or relative in politics they are all manufacturers with factories all over nigeria ,asia and southafrica, buisness men, traders and professionals in their different career, igbo are not and have never been greedy for power.

finally why not allow igbo to worry about their fate if nigeria is to divide, the same way they may be paying you if they are using your port they will recover the money from profit of sales from their manufactured product you will be buyin , its easy add the loss to the sales price so stop fighting it.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by aljharem(m): 11:44pm On Dec 16, 2010
bashr4:

from the early ages igbo have been praticing true federalism, is that not why they are opposed to the nigerian style of government and marginalisation so what makes anyone think they will do the same thing nigerian govt did to them.

secondly if nigeria breaks up igbo in lagos need not go anywhere except maybe those in civil service , but an igbo man living and working or doing buisness in lagos is the same thing as one in london and atlanta etc so where is he goin?

thirdly i have already treated the propagansa of igbos being landlocked
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-569408.0.html

me personally as an igbo man i dont care about polistics or power , i dont have a single uncle or relative in politics they are all manufacturers with factories all over nigeria ,asia and southafrica, buisness men, traders and professionals in their different career, igbo are not and have never been greedy for power.

finally why not allow igbo to worry about their fate if nigeria is to divide, the same way they may be paying you if they are using your port they will recover the money from profit of sales from their manufactured product you will be buyin , its easy add the loss to the sales price so stop fighting it.

look, it is like ur blood is still hot for nl

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Efcc Arrest Former Ondo State Governor, Segun Agagu / Pdp Has Lost Focus - Pdp Chieftain / Plan To Recycle Abia’s Wastes Underway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.