Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,314 members, 7,839,509 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

When Oil Finishes, What Next? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Oil Finishes, What Next? (3627 Views)

What Okonjo-Iweala Said When Oil Was $76 Per Barrel (Flash Back) / What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel / Photo: When Buhari Finishes With Nepa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by strangerf: 9:09am On Dec 14, 2010
eku_bear:

Everyone loves MILFs smiley Very Hot, low amounts of drama. A win/win combination.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAh

Cant wait for Ileke to reply. . .

BTW, how did you know all these?
hmmmm, hope it is not what I am thinking?
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 9:14am On Dec 14, 2010
eku_bear:

I think we already know who wants to stay in Nigeria, right? Those without oil, those who would be landlocked. Fortunately for my people, we have both oil and access to the sea. Oil isn't much, but it is good enough to fund other industries.

And of course, we have the wonderful city/metropolis of Lagos. This is our ace card. I feel pretty good about our future if (when?) Nigeria separates.

EDIT: typos

Why do you like lying to yourself?
Put up a poll here and ask your Yoruba folks to vote about staying in Nigeria or leaving and I guarantee you will get at least 85% wanting to stay.
Do the same thing and ask Igbos and you will get the OPPOSITE.
Keep lying to yourself.

Like I said, WHEN the oil finishes, we shall know who really wants to stay with who, and I will get my respect as an Igbo man then.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 9:15am On Dec 14, 2010
@fstranger: Haha, no personal experience with a MILF, that is just what they say tongue
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 9:35am On Dec 14, 2010
Onlytruth:

Why do you like lying to yourself?
Put up a poll here and ask your Yoruba folks to vote about staying in Nigeria or leaving and I guarantee you will get at least 85% wanting to stay.
Do the same thing and ask Igbos and you will get the OPPOSITE.
Keep lying to yourself.
These are two separate issues, though. If Nigeria breaks up, I think we Yoruba will be fine. But that doesn't mean that this is the best of all outcomes. The best of all outcomes imo is political mastery over our region, aggressively using our federal allocations to build up our territory, and then proceeding from there. Just because Situation A is good doesn't mean you'll agitate for it if Situation B is better. And it is starting to appear that we will be able to achieve Situation B by simply kicking the PDP out of the Southwest and installed good leaders like Fashola in our land.

Regarding the Igbo and how they'd vote . . . personally, me if I were Igbo, I wouldn't be interested in leaving. Being a landlocked country kind of sucks. It is really hard for me to think of any nations on earth without access to the sea which are doing well. Not to mention issues like erosion, a lot of your wealth being outside of your territory. . .

Anyway, to each his own, you guys do what you think best for your people.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 14, 2010
eku_bear:

These are two separate issues, though. If Nigeria breaks up, I think we Yoruba will be fine. But that doesn't mean that this is the best of all outcomes. The best of all outcomes imo is political mastery over our region, aggressively using our federal allocations to build up our territory, and then proceeding from there. Just because Situation A is good doesn't mean you'll agitate for it if Situation B is better. And it is starting to appear that we will be able to achieve Situation B by simply kicking the PDP out of the Southwest and installed good leaders like Fashola in our land.

Regarding the Igbo and how they'd vote . . . personally, me if I were Igbo, I wouldn't be interested in leaving. Being a landlocked country kind of sucks. It is really hard for me to think of any nations on earth without access to the sea which are doing well. Not to mention issues like erosion, a lot of your wealth being outside of your territory. . .

I have to disagree here. Being landlocked means nothing. Diplomacy doesnt end with the breakage.

I personally think they'll survive too. If the best is breakage, so shall it be. Each on their way, abeg.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 9:44am On Dec 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I have to disagree here. Being landlocked means nothing. Diplomacy doesnt end with the breakage.
How on earth does being landlocked mean nothing? It means you are paying someone else an arm and a leg to bring in any goods you want to bring in. You are paying out of your @$$ to export, too. The odds of building a successful country without access to the sea are vanishingly small, in my opinion.

Think practically. Your landlocked country produces potatoes. The only way to export them is through your neighbor X, who controls the sea. What if he charges a 15 or 20% export fee on your potatoes? You see how this sucks away your competitive advantage and thus profitability, right? He is basically taking at 15% cut on EVERYTHING you export! And imagine if he takes a 15% cut on everything you import, too?

Like I said, there is a good reason almost no landlocked country in the world is successful. It is hard to compete when you pay more to produce/buy stuff than other people do.

I personally think they'll survive too. If the best is breakage, so shall it be. Each on their way, abeg.
Indeed. They are good people and am sure they'll survive. But surviving is one thing, prospering is another. It is the latter I seek for me and mine.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 14, 2010
You're thinking that when Nigeria breaks, some of those coastal states wont be joining with their bros/sis? States like Cross River and AI?

I thought Biafra was not only about Igbo states?
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 9:48am On Dec 14, 2010
eku_bear:

As you know, Switzerland is landlocked and still more successful than Somalia with one of the longest sea coasts in Africa. Even Botswana is landlocked but still more stable and richer than Somalia.

As for our wealth outside Igboland, they can be repatriated one way or the other. The only thing is that property values will skyrocket in Igboland but collapse in Lagos and other areas.

With our "can do" spirit -which is worth more than gold- we are unstoppable.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 9:50am On Dec 14, 2010
And I am taking the basest view. Igboland will not be landlocked in any case. Again, I am convince that our immediate minority neighbors will become more realistic once oil wells dry up.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 9:54am On Dec 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI
Please remove that Mrs Ayoka Adebayo picture from your profile. It is scaring me.

Long time no see. cool
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by strangerf: 9:57am On Dec 14, 2010
Onlytruth:

As you know, Switzerland is landlocked and still more successful than Somalia with one of the longest sea coasts in Africa. Even Botswana is landlocked but still more stable and richer than Somalia.
As for our wealth outside Igboland, they can be repatriated one way or the other. The only thing is that property values will skyrocket in Igboland but collapse in Lagos and other areas.

Stop comparing sleep with death.
Landlocked countries in Africa dont thrive
Just too many examples: Mali, Sudan, Zaire

And like eku_Bear articulated above, they just wont be able to compete.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 14, 2010
Onlytruth:

Ileke-IdI
Please remove that Mrs Ayoka Adebayo picture from your profile. It is scaring me.

Long time no see.  cool
Ahh so you remember me?  Thank God.

Long time indeed! How are your wife and kids?
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 10:01am On Dec 14, 2010
strangerf:

Stop comparing sleep with death.
Landlocked countries in Africa dont thrive
Just too many examples: Mali, Sudan, Zaire

And like eku_Bear articulated above, they just wont be able to compete.

Sudan is NOT landlocked, yet terrible. Zaire is not really landlocked.
You ignored a typical African country which Biafra or Igboland will LIKELY be similar to -90% Christian- BOTSWANA.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 10:01am On Dec 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

You're thinking that when Nigeria breaks, some of those coastal states wont be joining with their bros/sis? States like Cross River and AI?

I thought Biafra was not only about Igbo states?

Why would Cross Rivers and Akwa Ibom join for free? Why not instead maintain independence and charge import/export duties? Surely it is more profitable to do this than to join Biafra, is it not?

It isn't as if they are Igbo in CR or AI. Why would they gift Biafra with access to the sea? It is a valuable resource that me personally I'd extract every penny I could from. Can you imagine how profitable it would be taking a large cut of everything that leaves Biafra and enters it?

Onlytruth:

Well, that is two success stories out of how many? Makes no sense to consider only the successes without considering the numerous failures.

In any case, Botswana has a tiny population. What, 2 million people in a land filled with diamonds, arable land, cattle farms, agriculture, etc. Obviously it is easy to build an enormously wealthy country if your land is filled with diamonds and not overpopulated.

I know less about the factors for Switzerland's success, though.

Property prices will indeed skyrocket in Igboland. And they will indeed fall in Lagos, mostly because there will be a large amount of property sold rapidly at bargain prices by Igbo leaving for Biafra.

Still, I'm not too worried about the longterm growth and economic security of Lagos. The 8% population growth of the state probably is not entirely from Igboland, lol. Whoever leaves can and will be replaced.

Eh, if you want to base things on fuzzy optimism, so be it. Me, I'm more interested in logistics and practicalities.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 10:10am On Dec 14, 2010
eku_bear:

Why would Cross Rivers and Akwa Ibom join for free? Why not instead maintain independence and charge import/export duties? Surely it is more profitable to do this than to join Biafra, is it not?

It isn't as if they are Igbo in CR or AI. Why would they gift Biafra with access to the sea? It is a valuable resource that me personally I'd extract every penny I could from. Can you imagine how profitable it would be taking a large cut of everything that leaves Biafra and enters it?
Well, that is two success stories out of how many? Makes no sense to consider only the successes without considering the numerous failures.

In any case, Botswana has a tiny population. What, 2 million people in a land filled with diamonds, arable land, cattle farms, agriculture, etc. Obviously it is easy to build an enormously wealthy country if your land is filled with diamonds and not overpopulated.

I know less about the factors for Switzerland's success, though.
Property prices will indeed skyrocket in Igboland. And they will indeed fall in Lagos, mostly because there will be a large amount of property sold rapidly at bargain prices.
Still, I'm not too worried about the longterm growth and economic security of Lagos. The 8% population growth of the state probably is not entirely from Igboland, lol. Whoever leaves can and will be replaced.
Eh, if you want to base things on fuzzy optimism, so be it. Me, I'm more interested in logistics and practicalities.

Look, I'm not really here to convince anyone.

Once oil finishes, you will find out that out of about $100 billion annual income to eastern parts of Nigeria, 97% will be from EXPORT of FINISHED GOODs -automobile and technological equipment made in Igboland. The coastal guys can decide to get allocations of $20 -$50 billion annually by joining us, or we pay them $200 million a year for allowing us use their ports. If they refuse, we use Cameroon for even less. All these is assuming anyone will be insane enough to try to seize Igbolands accessing the sea by the rivers.  And yes there are Igbo in Akwa Ibom and Cross rivers. They may be few but they are there.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 10:22am On Dec 14, 2010

Once oil finishes, you will find out that out of about $100 billion income, 97% will be from EXPORT of FINISHED GOODs -automobile and technological equipment made in Igboland. The coastal guys can decide to get allocations of $20 -$50 billion by joining us, or we pay them $200 million a year for allowing us use their ports. If they refuse, we use Cameroon for even less. All these is assuming anyone will be insane enough to try to seize Igbolands accessing the sea by the rivers.
Where on earth can you export goods and pay only 200 million on nearly 100 billion in exported goods? 0.2% in export duties? Think more like 10 or 20 billion. Cameroon is of course an option to give you more choices, but it will only help so much.

Regarding rivers, you cannot sail down the river owned by another man. He will charge you fees to use it. Or which river directly connected to the Atlantic is wholly in Igboland?
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 10:31am On Dec 14, 2010
eku_bear:

Where on earth can you export goods and pay only 200 million on nearly 100 billion in exported goods? 0.2% in export duties? Think more like 10 or 20 billion. Cameroon is of course an option to give you more choices, but it will only help so much.

Regarding rivers, you cannot sail down the river owned by another man. He will charge you fees to use it. Or which river directly connected to the Atlantic is wholly in Igboland?

That topic has been discussed in GREAT DETAIL here on nairaland. Search for it.
My point remains that it is in their interest to join the Igbo. They would lose more if they don't. Let's end it there.

Meanwhile shouldn't you be busy wondering how YOU will survive a deflated Lagos with area boys reining supreme now that Igbo boys are gone?

We will build an electric fence to check them.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 10:46am On Dec 14, 2010
Onlytruth:

That topic has been discussed in GREAT DETAIL here on nairaland. Search for it.
My point remains that it is in their interest to join the Igbo. They would lose more if they don't. Let's end it there.
If you say so, I'll take your word for it.

Meanwhile shouldn't you be busy wondering how YOU will survive a deflated Lagos with area boys reining supreme now that Igbo boys are gone?

We will build an electric fence to check them.
Area boys reigning supreme, ke?

Anyway, while it is a loss to lose people, ultimately they can be replaced; people from all over W. Africa move to Lagos. And certainly whatever property/infrastructure they built cannot be carried on their backs with them; it will presumably be sold by those leaving and manned by whoever purchases. I'm fine with that outcome.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Omenani(m): 3:55pm On Dec 14, 2010
Igbos do not fear being landlocked.  Some of the wealthiest nations are indeed landlocked as someone has mentioned. Switerland is quite wealthy. Botswana is one of the wealthiest nation per capita in all of Africa and they are landlocked. cheesy Igboland is not too far from the sea though. I don't see how Igboland would be landlocked though, since the people from Cross River and Akwa Ibom would join the Igbo people. They wouldn't join Cameroon, nor would they join the Ijaws. The only alternative is the Igbo who are the lesser of the two evils.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Blazay(m): 3:58pm On Dec 14, 2010
No more Nigeria of course. cheesy
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 9:29am On Dec 15, 2010
Omenani:

I don't see how Igboland would be landlocked though, since the people from Cross River and Akwa Ibom would join the Igbo people. They wouldn't join Cameroon, nor would they join the Ijaws. The only alternative is the Igbo who are the lesser of the two evils.

Well, another option for them is independence. No real reason for them to necessarily join another country.

Anyway, regarding your statement. . . I wonder. Southern Cameroons for example had a plebiscite and left to join Cameroon instead of Nigeria. I've read something indicating that part of the reason they made this decision was due to dislike of the Igbo (see here: http://www.jstor.org/pss/523673).

Anyway, you seem to have great confidence about what decision another ethnicity would make. Hopefully you are correct.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 9:52am On Dec 15, 2010
eku_bear:

Well, another option for them is independence. No real reason for them to necessarily join another country.

Anyway, regarding your statement. . . I wonder. Southern Cameroons for example had a plebiscite and left to join Cameroon instead of Nigeria. I've read something indicating that part of the reason they made this decision was due to dislike of the Igbo (see here: http://www.jstor.org/pss/523673).

Anyway, you seem to have great confidence about what decision another ethnicity would make. Hopefully you are correct.

You are really getting lower and lower in your rush to adopt gutter strategies in order to score cheap points even if BY SHEER FALSEHOOD.

You have just lost the last respect I had for you for this latest falsehood from you.

I have posted the page you referred to, and I couldn't find anywhere it says anything about Cameroonians not liking Igbo. These things are in your sick mind and have NOTHING to do with facts.

I asked you earlier why you are obsessed with trying to prove that Igbo cannot survive outside Nigeria in any form or shape, and I was wondering why you think that Igbos are like Yorubas (your OPEN FEAR undecided about staying in Nigeria without the Igbos proves it abundantly here!). I told you to concentrate on western Nigeria and leave eastern Nigeria and Igboland alone but you won't because you are a coward who cannot mind his own business.
What will you do to your areas boys?
That is the question I asked. No answer from you.

Here is the page again!

Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:59am On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth, that is an entire 13 page article. The 7th page of that article may be what DapoBear is referring to and not the 1st page. He will probably clarify and maybe quote the relevant parts. If you cannot access the article though, try going to a university library or something sometime if you're still interested in reading it.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 10:02am On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

You are really getting lower and lower in your rush to adopt gutter strategies in order to score cheap points even if BY SHEER FALSEHOOD.

You have just lost the last respect I had for you for this latest falsehood from you.

I have posted the page you referred to, and I couldn't find anywhere it says anything about Cameroonians not liking Igbo. These things are in your sick mind and have NOTHING to do with facts.
You have to pay money to download the full PDF. It is like 5 or 6 pages. I have it on my computer, but unfortunately my battery is low and this airport doesn't seem to have a charger  undecided

Anyway, I can assure you that it isn't a lie. I'll upload the full pdf when I get online next, you can decide for yourself if I'm lying or telling the truth in my assessment.

I asked you earlier why you are obsessed with trying to prove that Igbo cannot survive outside Nigeria in any form or shape,
I don't care, dude, one way or another. I don't see how what the Igbo do affects me and mine in any way. There is nothing in your lands I want or desire. So why should I care what you do? However, in a discussion like this, it certainly makes sense to separate fact from fiction. If you want, I can refrain from pointing out certain facts, since they seem to make you feel uncomfortable.

and I was wondering why you think that Igbos are like Yorubas (your OPEN FEAR undecided about staying in Nigeria without the Igbos proves it abundantly here!). I told you to concentrate on western Nigeria and leave eastern Nigeria and Igboland alone but you won't because you are a coward who cannot mind his own business.
What sort of arroagance is this? Anyone pointing out certain facts is then acting from fear? Pray tell, what (or who) do I fear?

What will you do to your areas boys?
That is the question I asked. No answer from you.

Here is the page again!

Are you really comparing a social problem like area boys to severe issues like being landlocked? These two are not comparable problems when it comes to nationbuilding.
[/quote][quote]
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 10:03am On Dec 15, 2010
The way folks with dubious intent talk about Igboland and eastern Nigeria gets one insulted and offended.

Here is a video of Annang (Akwa Ibom) cultural song/dance. For those of you dissecting between a leopard and jaguar, can you tell that this is NOT Igbo without me telling you?

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76L7k_yIbRQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"[/flash]
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 10:06am On Dec 15, 2010
eku_bear

And why is it YOUR problem if Igboland is landlocked?

Coward.

We are NOT like you.

You will die without sea access. WE WON'T. cool cool cool In fact we will thrive more, but I don't want to say unnecessary things. Lazy a55.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by archive(f): 10:10am On Dec 15, 2010
As someone has stated before its not what Nigeria has got, its what we do with what we have got. Undeveloped beaches, historical sites (benin) for tourism, masses of undeveloped land and unused natural resources. This needs to change
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by jason12345: 10:20am On Dec 15, 2010
@ eku-bear

i feel you but i really think you should not get involved with onlytruth about this matter. its not because he can argue better than you, its because he already has closed mind and its really none of your business undecided. my take on this matter is that nigeria would likely split and if it does so into 3 or 4 parts;

1) the north would not feel anything since the status quo has not changed while they are in nigeria. moreover, religion unites them. also, the people would be motivated to show their former country men that they can do without oil
2) the west would probably be better off since they have not only oil but other natural resources coupled with their seaport. massive education programs would start to stop the spread of area boys. the people would be motivated.

3) the ibibio etc would probably join the igbos but if they don't, then, the baifrans would probably be still probably be ok but not overly sucessful. not that i care anyway undecided. iMO
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 10:23am On Dec 15, 2010
So long story short, it is his position that Nigeria will die if Igbos leave? Is this why he constantly says things like, "coward", "lazy", etc?

Under his hypothesis, I can sort of his see his perspective. But at the same time, imo another plausible hypothesis is that Igbo leaving/staying will not have a significant impact one way or another on the remaining groups of Nigeria. This latter hypothesis is my own personal belief.

It is fine to have a hypothesis, but imo wrong to assume that everyone else is working under the same assumption. Especially in a discourse like this. Makes no sense to assume everyone believes the same things you do.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:27am On Dec 15, 2010
eku_bear:

Under his hypothesis, I can sort of his see his perspective. But at the same time, imo another plausible hypothesis is that Igbo leaving/staying will not have a significant impact one way or another on the remaining groups of Nigeria. This latter hypothesis is my own personal belief.

You do realize that if any of the three major groups leaves, Nigeria will immediately split? Saying that if the Igbo leave then Nigeria will cease to be is accurate but maybe you're attributing to Onlytruth the idea that all the other groups in Nigeria will fail without the Igbo. I'm not certain that that's his position.
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by ekubear1: 10:33am On Dec 15, 2010
PhysicsQED:

You do realize that if any of the three major groups leaves, Nigeria will immediately split? Saying that if the Igbo leave then Nigeria will cease to be is accurate but maybe you're attributing to Onlytruth the idea that all the other groups in Nigeria will fail without the Igbo. I'm not certain that that's his position.

By "Nigeria", I'm using this as shorthand for the collection of states that remain.

I have no clue what his position is, and am trying to understand what he is seeing through his "eyes", so to speak. My hunch is that he thinks is that the remaining states in Nigeria (e.g., a hypothetical Odua Republic, Arewa, etc) will be much less successful if Nigeria breaks apart than if the status quo is maintained. So maybe he feels that Yoruba are pro-Nigeria because in his mind, their lot would be worse off if Nigeria falls apart.

Again, I don't quite understand his perspective, but this is my guess. Like, his perspective is clearly wrong for the Ijaw, right? If the Ijaw got a republic of their own, they would be wayyyy better off. I feel that my own ethnicity would be better off, too. But perhaps he implicitly disagrees. . .
Re: When Oil Finishes, What Next? by Onlytruth(m): 10:34am On Dec 15, 2010
eku_bear:

So long story short, it is his position that Nigeria will die if Igbos leave? Is this why he constantly says things like, "coward", "lazy", etc?

False again! I am not interested in what will happen to you after we leave. I said what I said about your almajiri area boys because you kept drinking panadol for my "problem". I am more interested in what will happen in Biafra or Igboland. Why should I worry about another man's headache? It doesn't make any sense. undecided

Ok, agreed! Provided you focus on your problems, YES of course nothing will get worse for you.

It is fine to have a hypothesis, but imo wrong to assume that everyone else is working under the same assumption. Especially in a discourse like this. Makes no sense to assume everyone believes the same things you do.

Look dude, my problem with you is that you are in western Nigeria and dissecting eastern Nigeria according to your devious yardsticks. That is wicked. You are NOT interested in your survival (unless you've been lying  undecided). You've concentrated more on my survival even when your concerns are UNSOLICITED and UNINVITED.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photo: Buhari And Osibanjo With Their Children / Nigeria Army Chiefs Lodge In Adamawa Billionaire Mansion Instead Of Maiduguri Co / Breaking: Nigeria, Niger Plan Joint Refinery, To Sign Agreement Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.