Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,470 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

What My Mother Told Me About Bride Price (dowry) - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What My Mother Told Me About Bride Price (dowry) (827 Views)

DPO Lawan Abdullahi Pays Dowry For Lovers To Get Married In Kaduna / I Just Paid Her Dowry This January And This Is Happening Same January. / Yakubu Chanji Nafsi-Nafsi Bride Is 20 Years, N300,000 Paid As Dowry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What My Mother Told Me About Bride Price (dowry) by Lostchild(m): 6:31am On May 06, 2022
What My Elderly Mother Told Me About Bride Price. (Dowry)

Last year I had the opportunity to seat down and converse many things with my elderly mother, as I question her over many things on Nigeria traditions that seem to puzzle me.

I questioned my mother and asked her about everything nigerians do today in the name of dowry and traditional marriage.

To my surprise, my mother told me that the original bride price or dowry of a woman in our today currency is N120, with kolanut and little drinks. And I believe the bride mostly leave her parents house as a virgin.

She plainly told me, all that people do today in the name of marriage is nothing but pure selfishness and greed.

No wonder, I always have doubt and see their tradition and marriage as a pure scam.

Have you ever wonder why Africa families are always hungry and poor?

It is because of greed which root our woes.

The greedy parents will heavily bill you and give you endless list of what to pay and buy just to marry a woman with high body count.

The list rage from 500K to 1.5 million. If you refused to pay them, they will persecute you. Even your own woman will be the one to constantly sing with it in your ears.

The Igbo's parents are the worst on this. My mother complained over the heavy billing they gave to my middle brother when he was marrying an Igbo babe. They billed my brother 100K on the dowry alone

Tradition and greed has made them all a bunch of hypocrite

Damnn. Nigeria is a funny place.

I am outta here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What My Mother Told Me About Bride Price (dowry) by Lostchild(m): 6:31am On May 06, 2022
I know that, all the nairaland WOMEN has blacklisted me.

My writtings has hurt them a lot which is very good. I am very glad to offend them all.

They should go and listen to one of my favourite song "No Way Jose by Baby Bash ft Akon"

Say I ain't got time.

3 Likes

Re: What My Mother Told Me About Bride Price (dowry) by chatinent: 6:45am On May 06, 2022
Talking about bride price and dowry list though, that shit has to be stopped. It's more like buying the wife.

This is one of many reasons many men chose to remain single.

2 Likes

Re: What My Mother Told Me About Bride Price (dowry) by derecho(m): 6:49am On May 06, 2022
Dowry means

property or money brought by a bride to her husband on their marriage.

Now to you,
Hurting women doesn't make us men BUT saying the Truth (in love) even if hurts them as many don't like hearing it.
Re: What My Mother Told Me About Bride Price (dowry) by Skyfornia(m): 6:53am On May 06, 2022
Paying huge bride price is not an issue ..the issue I see here is that the tradition is originally for virgins...

So I suggest the bride is reduced to the barest minimum or women should start paying their own bride price especially the ones that are no longer virgins.

Imagine going to the market to buy a brand new product and you discovered the product has been used and returned by another or many customers, you obviously might not buy such product, even if you decide to buy it, the price won't be the same as new one.

1 Like

Re: What My Mother Told Me About Bride Price (dowry) by shilenji(m): 7:23am On May 06, 2022
Bride price doesn't have a fixed price. But originally the idea of dowry/ bride price is of traditional significance. Bride price in some family may even be 5naira,cowries, etc.

But this generation has bred long throat humans that are willing to seize the opportunity for extortion.
Re: What My Mother Told Me About Bride Price (dowry) by Nobody: 12:10pm On May 06, 2022
This why people like me can't afford marriage for now.
Re: What My Mother Told Me About Bride Price (dowry) by InfinityFabric: 12:37pm On May 06, 2022
The list rage from 500K to 1.5 million. If you refused to pay them, they will persecute you.
1. Why do u have to marry from this family. Why ?
2. Show the money in their face, give them nothing of it and go marry another chick.

Even your own woman will constantly sing with it in your ears.
You're the slowpoke for not singing it in her ears already. Men like this frame. Tell her you don't marry women thinking of you as Poverty Alleviation Scheme.

All in all, it's mostly because the guy is blue-pilled simp. The moment you're able to shell 500K for dowry, you already have from millions of girls to choose from, why waste time on one ?

It's hard for women to misbehave when you have many women in line and open about it.

1 Like

Re: What My Mother Told Me About Bride Price (dowry) by Nobody: 2:56pm On May 06, 2022
What surprised me the most is that almost all the tribes in Nigeria collect female bride price in one way or the other sad

I wonder how this bride price is peculiar to almost every tribe, like why should all the tribe have this similarities in collection of bride price, grin

Like why can't we have a large number of tribes were bride price is absent and nonexistent grin

(1) (Reply)

How To Choose A Trusted Hyderabad Call Girls? / I'll Buy Your Facebook Account / Please Welcome Me Officially To Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.