Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,180 members, 7,815,136 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Famous Scientists And Their Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Famous Scientists And Their Religion (571 Views)

This Are The 10 Questions Catholics Cannot Answer About Their Religion. / A Thread For Those Who Will Lose Their Religion In 2020 / Why Do Christians Defend Their Religion Even Tho It Was Used To Enslave People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:01pm On May 11, 2022
1. Isaac Newton

Although born into an Anglican family, and a devout but unorthodox Christian, by his thirties Newton held a Christian faith that, had it been made public, would not have been considered orthodox by mainstream Christians. Scholars now consider him a Nontrinitarian Arian.

2 Likes

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:03pm On May 11, 2022
2. Albert Einstein

He clarified however that, "I am not an atheist", preferring to call himself an agnostic, or a "religious nonbeliever." Einstein also stated he did not believe in life after death, adding "one life is enough for me." He was closely involved in his lifetime with several humanist groups.

3 Likes

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:06pm On May 11, 2022
3. Maria curie

Curie, being Polish and living most of her life in France, was surrounded by Catholicism and her mother was an active Catholic. Her father, who was a physics professor in Warsaw, is cited as having been a "freethinker,"which is code for atheist.

Curie herself was not religious, and is often considered an atheist,[2] but it seems more likely given her scientific worldview that she was more of an agnostic. She said:

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.

2 Likes

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:08pm On May 11, 2022
4. Stephen hawkings

He said by himself "But now science offers a more convincing explanation (than religion) ,” he said. “What I meant by 'we would know the mind of God' is, we would know everything that God would know, if there were a God, which there isn't. I'm an atheist.”
14 Mar 2018

2 Likes

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:10pm On May 11, 2022
5. Thomas Edison

“I do not believe in the God of the theologians, but that there is a Supreme Intelligence I do not doubt,” Edison said in a 1910 interview in the New York Times Magazine. He also said, “Nature made us — nature did it all — not the gods of the religions.” Still, Edison said that statement did not mean he was an atheist.

Edison was more like a deist.

2 Likes

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:11pm On May 11, 2022
6. Charles Darwin

Darwin was an atheist with regard to the Christian God due to most of his comment but he was never an atheist in the full sense of the word. He remained a “theist” throughout the 1850s and '60s, although the God he believed in was now the God of first causes and, properly speaking, he was more deist than theist during this period.

2 Likes

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:14pm On May 11, 2022
7. Michael Farady

Faraday was a devout Christian, remaining loyal to the church throughout his life. While Michael Faraday's research efforts made advancements in chemistry, he is best known for his work in physics with electricity and magnetism.
https://www.csueastbay.edu › contents
Michael Faraday - Cal State East Bay

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:14pm On May 11, 2022
8. Lious Pasteur

Pasteur was also a Catholic, openly hostile to materialism, atheism, and free thought.

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:16pm On May 11, 2022
9. James Watson

Watson is an atheist. In 2003, he was one of 22 Nobel Laureates who signed the Humanist Manifesto.

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:18pm On May 11, 2022
10. Gregor Mendel.

Considered to be the father of modern genetics, Mendel was deeply rooted in his Christian faith, and he passionately tried to convey his conviction and experience to others.

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:19pm On May 11, 2022
11. Francis Crick

Francis Crick was an evangelical atheist. He believed that scientific understanding removed the need for religious explanations of natural phenomena. From James Watson's and his early work, the structure of DNA explained the α, the origins of life.

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:21pm On May 11, 2022
12. Richard Feynman

Feynman's parents were both from Jewish families but not religious, and by his youth, Feynman described himself as an "avowed atheist".
Even if one comes to doubt the factuality of divinity itself, Feynman argues that religious myths remain a valuable moral compass.

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:22pm On May 11, 2022
13. Neil Bohr

Some of Bohr's biographers suggested that this disagreement stemmed from Kierkegaard's advocacy of Christianity, while Bohr was an atheist.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki
Niels Bohr - Wikipedia

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:23pm On May 11, 2022
14. J J Thompson

J. J. Thomson was a reserved yet devout Anglican. His early education was in small private schools where he demonstrated outstanding talent and interest in science. In 1870, he was admitted to Owens College in Manchester (now University of Manchester) at the unusually young age of 14.

Source: Wikipedia

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:27pm On May 11, 2022
15. Neil Tyson deggrase.

It said, "Neil deGrasse Tyson is an atheist" again – within a week! – and I said, "What's up with that?" and I said, “All right, I have to word it a little differently." So I said, “Okay, Neil deGrasse Tyson, widely claimed by atheists, is actually an agnostic."

So Tyson is agnostic.

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:29pm On May 11, 2022
16. Werner Heisenberg

In a 1973 article entitled “Scientific and Religious Truth,” Heisenberg wrote that,

“In the history of science, ever since the famous trial of Galileo, it has repeatedly been claimed that scientific truth cannot be reconciled with the religious interpretation of the world. Although I am now convinced that scientific truth is unassailable in its own field, I have never found it possible to dismiss the content of religious thinking as simply part of an outmoded phase in the consciousness of mankind, a part we shall have to give up from now on. Thus in the course of my life I have repeatedly been compelled to ponder on the relationship of these two regions of thought, for I have never been able to doubt the reality of that to which they point.” (Heisenberg 1974, 213).

He was obviously not religious, more like Agnostic or Atheist.

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:33pm On May 11, 2022
17. Timothy Berner-Lee

Berners-Lee was raised as an Anglican, but he turned away from religion in his youth. After he became a parent, he became a Unitarian Universalist (UU).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki

In one of his interviews, he responded, although I am atheists but I have faith (faith in what?) cheesy

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:35pm On May 11, 2022
18. Anthony Fauci

Fauci regards himself as a “humanist” but once identified as a Roman catholic.
Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:38pm On May 11, 2022
19. Peter Higgs

Higgs is an atheist. He has described Richard Dawkins as having adopted a "fundamentalist" view of non-atheists. Higgs expressed later that he was displeased that the Higgs particle is nicknamed the "God particle", as he believes the term "might offend people who are religious".
Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 2:44pm On May 11, 2022
Last but not the least

20. Erwin Schrodinger

Although he was raised in a religious household as a Lutheran, he himself was an atheist. However, he had strong interests in Eastern religions and pantheism, and he used religious symbolism in his works. He also believed his scientific work was an approach to Divinity, albeit in an intellectual sense.

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:18pm On May 11, 2022
So what's the difference?
It's white men that brought the Bible and you're still quoting the same white men as if you've gotten something better.
Can't you think of anything Africans ever said?
Must it always be all about whatever the white man say? cheesy

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by IMAliyu(m): 3:29pm On May 11, 2022
MaxInDHouse:
It's white men that brought the Bible and you're still quoting the same white men as if you've gotten something better.
What does white man mean?
What does it mean to be white?

2 Likes

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 4:10pm On May 11, 2022
MaxInDHouse:
Africans do not have the mental rigiour to be relevant yet.
Because the whole world wants Africa's resources, Africans want the sky

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by IMAliyu(m): 4:46pm On May 11, 2022
Workch:
There are people of African decent that contributed to science and tech, but just aren't talked about much. Due to various sociopolitical reasons, they say the victors write the history which in this case are the Europeans and those of European decent.

Some example of these individuals Lewis Howard Latimer, Charles Whitten.

We as Africans have a long way to go before we get the world to pay serious attention to us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by Workch: 5:01pm On May 11, 2022
IMAliyu:

There are people of African decent that contributed to science and tech, but just aren't talked about much. Due to various sociopolitical reasons, they say the victors write the history which in this case are the Europeans and those of European decent.

Some example of these individuals Lewis Howard Latimer, Charles Whitten.

We as Africans have a long way to go before we get the world to pay serious attention to us.
While are agree with you that there are people in Africa who contributed in science but this begs the question as to how much of th proportion in contribution has Africa made?

Let me tell you the truth, Africans need to wake up. We are still struggling with rationality here hence its limiting our ability to compete with out contemporaries.

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:17pm On May 11, 2022
IMAliyu:

What does white man mean?
What does it mean to be white?

It seems your fellow atheist understood my point:

Workch:

So settle with him first! cheesy
Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by IMAliyu(m): 6:37pm On May 11, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

It seems your fellow atheist understood my point:

So settle with him first! cheesy
Not an atheist.

My question was to see how you define "white man" and how it was relevant to the point you were trying to make.
Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by IMAliyu(m): 7:09pm On May 11, 2022
Workch:
While are agree with you that there are people in Africa who contributed in science but this begs the question as to how much of th proportion in contribution has Africa made?
I don't know of the actual portion, but definitely not nearly enough.

Let me tell you the truth, Africans need to wake up. We are still struggling with rationality here hence its limiting our ability to compete with out contemporaries.
Agreed, but Africa is a victim of a set unfortunate circumferences imo, that fosters this. Such as the governments terrible treatment and underfunding of public education in this country for example.

Unfortunately rationality is not an intuitive thing for the most part, humans are not rational creatures by default. How to think rationally has to be thought and trained, else we slip back into fearful superstition.
Our deep religiosity isn't helping either, as religion promotes faith (belief regardless of evidence) as the highest virtue, it will always clash with the skepticism required for rational thinking.
Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:10pm On May 11, 2022
IMAliyu:

Not an atheist.
My question was to see how you define "white man" and how it was relevant to the point you were trying to make.

Do you believe in God at all?
If so what your perception of God and how do you think people should relate with God?

Your fellow atheist is ever agitating because of the achievements of the whiteman so if you don't know what whiteman means google is your friend! smiley

1 Like

Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by IMAliyu(m): 8:22pm On May 11, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Do you believe in God at all?
If so what your perception of God and how do you think people should relate with God?

Your fellow atheist is ever agitating because of the achievements of the whiteman so if you don't know what whiteman means google is your friend! smiley
Honestly, I don't know.. I don't know if I'm even capable of belief, as Christians and Muslims use the word, as I'm not sure of what it means anymore.

I have reason to be agnostic to the question of God, so I don't know, I have no perceptions or opinion on how anyone can or should relate to God.

"Fellow atheist" really man? right after I just told you.

Whiteman is vague and arbitrary category that means little outside of American racial politics, much like the word blackman. Is an albino a whiteman, is a Northern Hindi person a whiteman? And you haven't explained how it related to your point.

Of the people workch listed, it composed of Jewish, English, French, Italian, European & African American.. people. So I don't understand you attributing their success to such a vague category.
Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:53pm On May 11, 2022
IMAliyu:

Honestly, I don't know.. I don't know if I'm even capable of belief, as Christians and Muslims use the word, as I'm not sure of what it means anymore.

I have reason to be agnostic to the question of God, so I don't know, I have no perceptions or opinion on how anyone can or should relate to God.

"Fellow atheist" really man? right after I just told you.
So you're an atheist!
To BELIEVE connotes TRUST and you can't trust what you don't understand, that's exactly why your cohorts are claiming "ATHEISTS"
Now this is what it means to believe someone:
When a person PROMISE you something your actions afterwards will serve as evidence that you trusted (believed) in his promises.
So it's not about SEEING the person face to face like most of your cohorts do think. You don't need to see someone before TRUSTING in his promises.
Think for a moment:
A man travelled to a far distance land but told his children that whenever they need anything they should call his name and go to his farm that thing will be there waiting for them.
Of course that is unbelievable!
But if you happen to be a friend of one of his children and the child assured you that what both of you need will be provided all he needs to do is call his father's name and go straight to get it in his father's farm.
Will you BELIEVE (TRUST) in the man's word after witnessing such a thing with your own eyes?
That's what BELIEVE means not seeing the man himself because his appearance is of no benefit rather it's what you NEED that's of importance to you.

Whiteman is vague and arbitrary category that means little outside of American racial politics, much like the word blackman. Is an albino a whiteman, is a Northern Hindi person a whiteman? And you haven't explained how it related to your point.

Of the people workch listed, it composed of Jewish, English, French, Italian, European & African American.. people. So I don't understand you attributing their success to such a vague category.

You got the perfect description of what i mean by "whiteman"
Why is it that all your fellow atheists don't quote any African here rather it's always someone from America or Europe? smiley
Re: Famous Scientists And Their Religion by IMAliyu(m): 12:36am On May 12, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

So you're an atheist!
To BELIEVE connotes TRUST and you can't trust what you don't understand, that's exactly why your cohorts are claiming "ATHEISTS"
Now this is what it means to believe someone:
When a person PROMISE you something your actions afterwards will serve as evidence that you trusted (believed) in his promises.
So it's not about SEEING the person face to face like most of your cohorts do think. You don't need to see someone before TRUSTING in his promises.
You continue to mislabel me after multiple corrections.
Atheist/Atheism has a very specific definition, unless you are using your own made-up definition of the word, neither in my reply nor my views do I fall under the definition. Your insistence suggests bad faith. I don't know what you stand to gain by it.

So, you're saying that belief is trust and this trust is evidenced through action?

Think for a moment:
A man travelled to a far distance land but told his children that whenever they need anything they should call his name and go to his farm that thing will be there waiting for them.
Of course that is unbelievable!
But if you happen to be a friend of one of his children and the child assured you that what both of you need will be provided all he needs to do is call his father's name and go straight to get it in his father's farm.
Will you BELIEVE (TRUST) in the man's word after witnessing such a thing with your own eyes?
That's what BELIEVE means not seeing the man himself because his appearance is of no benefit rather it's what you NEED that's of importance to you.
I wouldn't trust him on it, but I wouldn't dismiss him either, since we were friends, I'd entertain multiple possibilities, and give him chance to prove himself. As it's an outlandish claim.

And if I witnessed the fit myself, then it wouldn't be a matter of trust or belief, at that point it'd just be a fact, at least this will set a precedent to be more trusting of the friend in the future. Considering I don't see the father, nor know how he does it, I'd just be indifferent/agnostic to it if it's outside of what I'm capable of finding out, as it'd be of no consequence to me.

How should this relate to religious belief in God?
I make no claims to a God's existence or inexistence, as all are non falsifiable by me and I have no precedent or reason to trust anyone else's claims as unlike in your allegory, people don't and can't substantial their specific Faith's claims. Which makes me question the value of belief, and why it's the central dogma in religion, enough so that it warrants the worst punishment for not holding the correct one, in the case of the major religions (belief in this case is defined as the abstract set of statements someone expresses to themselves and others to be truth about the nature of reality and an existence of a metaphysical reality e.g. God, creation, afterlife...)

The definition of belief I just mentioned is what I have conflict with. But I don't have issues with your own. As I value action and prefer to gauge a person on their actions rather than their stated beliefs. And actions are all that matter at the end of the day, the story you tell yourself in your head is of no consequence to me and I have no reason to care for it. And if actions are what are used to gauge belief I don't mind.
I'd probably be more holy that some self proclaimed religious people here.

You got the perfect description of what i mean by "whiteman"
Why is it that all your fellow atheists don't quote any African here rather it's always someone from America or Europe? smiley
Why not ask the specific individuals you're referring to?

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Is The Bible Trustworthy As A Historical Document?" / Jesus Has Just Been Sighted In Ukraine. The Second Comming In Here / 10 Blessings Of Obedience From God To A Nation(righteousness Exalt A Nation)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.