Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen (3565 Views)

Akinwunmi Ambode Visits Ex-Governors Of Lagos State: Photos / EXCLUSIVE: Atiku Snubs Rochas Okorocha At The Governors Gathering(pictures) / From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by udezue(m): 9:01am On Jul 15, 2011
I am with you ONLYTRUTH 100%.

Don't care if the Igbo lash out at the Fulani coz honestly its really due.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by udezue(m): 9:20am On Jul 15, 2011
EzeUche You have been talking about Igbo land reviving its Palm-tree industry yet u believe we can't raise our cattle, goats, etc? The best thing the governors can do is buy the poor wretched herdsmen out of their business, establish designated areas of the states that can be turned into ranches and have people / business buy them out and establish it as business. If they like they can employ very few Fulani to work in the fields / ranches. Tax the business and BAN NORMADIC HERDING. Please quit lying about Abians having such a rosy relationship with Fulani cattle herders. The last I checked Fulani and Hausa ppl have always gotten roasted anytime they mess with our people.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 9:32am On Jul 15, 2011
Posted by: udezue

EzeUche You have been talking about Igbo land reviving its Palm-tree industry yet u believe we can't raise our cattle, goats, etc? The best thing the governors can do is buy the poor wretched herdsmen out of their business, establish designated areas of the states that can be turned into ranches and have people / business buy them out and establish it as business. If they like they can employ very few Fulani to work in the fields / ranches. Tax the business and BAN NORMADIC HERDING. [/b]Please quit lying about Abians having such a rosy relationship with Fulani cattle herders. The last I checked Fulani and Hausa ppl have always gotten roasted anytime they mess with our people.

The bolded is the gist of the whole thing, and is well within the powers of state governors.
Their first duty and obligation is to their state citizens: protection of life and properties.

[b]ndu_chucks
solutions are "dan kwaya" solutions. cool
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 9:43am On Jul 15, 2011
I mean just imagine this line of thinking.
Urban sprawl is taking up more land (former grazing lands), therefore Fulani herdsmen have no choice than to herd their cattle into farms, effectively turning farms of corn, yams and cassava into "green pastures".
Whatever happened to land ownership!
I admit that a lot of things are upside down in Nigeria, but land ownership and trespassing laws are simple and clear enough.
Let me ask ndu-chucks a question:
Why don't these fulani herdsmen go near Obasanjo farms?
I'm sure it is very green.  undecided
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by nduchucks: 9:59am On Jul 15, 2011
Onlytruth:

I mean just imagine this line of thinking.
Urban sprawl is taking up more land (former grazing lands), therefore Fulani herdsmen have no choice than to herd their cattle into farms, effectively turning farms of corn, yams and cassava into "green pastures".
Whatever happened to land ownership!
I admit that a lot of things are upside down in Nigeria, but land ownership and trespassing laws are simple and clear enough.
Let me ask ndu-chucks a question:
Why don't these fulani herdsmen go near Obasanjo farms?
I'm sure it is very green.  undecided

Your insensitivity and burying your head in the sand will not resolve any conflict. The answer to your silly question as to why the herdsmen don't go near Obasanjo's farm is that, the farm is not along the routes of the herdsmen - this is the same reason why they don't bring their cattle into the farms in your very own village. olodo, rakumin dajij.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by vicenzo(m): 11:57am On Jul 15, 2011
udezue:

EzeUche You have been talking about Igbo land reviving its Palm-tree industry yet u believe we can't raise our cattle, goats, etc? The best thing the governors can do is buy the poor wretched herdsmen out of their business, establish designated areas of the states that can be turned into ranches and have people / business buy them out and establish it as business. If they like they can employ very few Fulani to work in the fields / ranches. Tax the business and BAN NORMADIC HERDING. Please quit lying about Abians having such a rosy relationship with Fulani cattle herders. The last I checked Fulani and Hausa ppl have always gotten roasted anytime they mess with our people.

Nice post. Europeans and americans produce more milk and beef than us,yet they do no normadic herding,it's time to ban normadic herding and replace it with modern method.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by EzeUche(m): 1:38pm On Jul 15, 2011
vicenzo:

Nice post. Europeans and americans produce more milk and beef than us,yet they do no normadic herding,it's time to ban normadic herding and replace it with modern method.

No nomadic herding in the U.S.? It goes by another name. What do you call cowboys?

Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by NegroNtns(m): 2:52pm On Jul 15, 2011
Cowboys are ranchers. In US, there are designated pastures for grazing and are operated coMmercially.

You can't compare US to Nigeria on this issue.

If you modernize herdsmen by US standard, then modernize farmers on that scale as well.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 4:38pm On Jul 15, 2011
Posted by: ndu_chucks

Your insensitivity and burying your head in the sand will not resolve any conflict. The answer to your silly question as to why the herdsmen don't go near Obasanjo's farm is that, the farm is not along the routes of the herdsmen - this is the same reason why they don't bring their cattle into the farms in your very own village. olodo, rakumin dajij.

hahaha! You gave your usual false answer. undecided

Every Nigerian on this forum knows that there are no go areas in Nigeria. Obasanjo farms and many many others are among them. I can assure you that we have many Hausa/northerners in Nnewi but they are NOT herdsmen. We won't let them try that nonsense. Land matters is a very serious issue in Nnewi. Go and ask anyone.

So, even if we have these no go areas -farms and towns- along the so called grazing routes, the mallam would have to change route. cool The same reason why you have the largest farms in far north, yet we NEVER hear of herdsmen vs farmer conflicts.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 4:50pm On Jul 15, 2011
Posted by: Negro_Ntns

Cowboys are ranchers. In US, there are designated pastures for grazing and are operated coMmercially.

You can't compare US to Nigeria on this issue.

If you modernize herdsmen by US standard, then modernize farmers on that scale as well.

Thank you for this bolded point. I wonder why some things are modernizing in Nigeria while others are chiseled in the stones of backwardness. undecided

Farms are modernizing in Nigeria but we still see fulani herding as "culture" or "way of life".
If anyone's culture and way of life brings pain and death to others, then any lawful government must force a change of that culture, else worse things would happen.

Since we are modernizing farms in Nigeria, cattle breeding and rearing should be modernized as well.
But that is a long term solution.
Immediate solution would be to zone areas and clearly delineate grazing route (mainly along no man's lands) for these herders until the state governments completes designing of total ban policies.  cool
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by nduchucks: 5:13pm On Jul 15, 2011
Onlytruth:

So, even if we have these no go areas -farms and towns- along the so called grazing routes, the mallam would have to change route. cool The same reason why you have the largest farms in far north, yet we NEVER hear of herdsmen vs farmer conflicts.

Your screen name is Onlytruth, but your posts are  filled with only lies and ignorance? You are the only Nigerian who is unaware of the causes of recent crisis in Jos .

Read up, olodo  [url=http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/2289-500-killed-75-houses-burnt-in-fresh-jos-crisis-as-fulani-herdsmen-invade-3-villages-fg-places-security-agencies-on-red-alert ] http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/2289-500-killed-75-houses-burnt-in-fresh-jos-crisis-as-fulani-herdsmen-invade-3-villages-fg-places-security-agencies-on-red-alert [/url]
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 5:32pm On Jul 15, 2011
^^

As always, you sidestep the facts as presented just to allow yourself room for lie and deceit.

Here is my post again.

So, even if we have these no go areas -farms and towns- along the so called grazing routes, the mallam would have to change route.  The same reason why you have the largest farms in [size=16pt]far north[/size], yet we NEVER hear of herdsmen vs farmer conflicts.

Now, show me that case. I'm waiting.  cool
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 15, 2011
I'm actually enjoying ndu_chuck's posts. More facts, less sensitivity.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 5:39pm On Jul 15, 2011
@topic,

If some state governments banned Okada riding thereby throwing thousands of people out of their jobs drying up incomes for families, all in name of public good and safety, banning nomadic cattle rearing should be a cinch!

It brings more pain than gain. Above all, I foresee a serious trouble ahead if not banned.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by nduchucks: 5:57pm On Jul 15, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I'm actually enjoying ndu_chuck's posts. More fact, lets sensitivity.

Ikeke-Idi, many people cannot handle facts without becoming unnecessarily sensitive. Their tribalism does not help them with dealing with the kind of hard facts I give them. 

I gbadun your posts as well.  smiley
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 8:10pm On Jul 15, 2011
^^ And the answer to the question about why there are NO herder vs farmer conflicts in FAR NORTH, and in farms owned by the rich and powerful individuals and towns in Nigeria is . . . .?  cheesy cheesy cheesy

Let me help you figure it out.

As long as there would be NEGATIVE consequences to the mallam and his herd, it won't happen. PERIOD.

Now, back to your "popularity contest".

I'm only interested in saving lives and protecting people, especially my people.

The mallam can take over Yorubaland for all I care.

Igboland is "no go area" to marauders, rapists and murderers.  cool
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by nduchucks: 8:33pm On Jul 15, 2011
Onlytruth:

^^ And the answer to the question about why there are NO herder vs farmer conflicts in FAR NORTH, and in farms owned by the rich and powerful individuals and towns in Nigeria is . . . .? cheesy cheesy cheesy

Let me help you figure it out.

As long as there would be NEGATIVE consequences to the mallam and his herd, it won't happen. PERIOD.

Now, back to your "popularity contest".

I'm only interested in saving lives and protecting people, especially my people.

The mallam can take over Yorubaland for all I care.

Igboland is "no go area" to marauders, rapists and murderers. cool

Why must you people twist my arms to the point that I have to call you dummies na? You are asking why these conflicts do not happen in the far north? This is a joke right?

The far north is more of a desert, dummy. Where in the world are you going to find green grass for cattle which can sustain them for long! That is the reason why we travel down south to feed the cattle and sell them to you, dummy!

Nwannem, I hereby proclaim you the dumbest NL Ojuju of the month.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 8:37pm On Jul 15, 2011
^^

So there are NO FARMS in KANO, KADUNA, and other FAR North states?
So where are all the millet and corn farms?

Your problem is that you are interested in winning arguments.

I'm only interested in saving my people from your thieving and marauding herders.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by nduchucks: 8:43pm On Jul 15, 2011
Onlytruth, You do not have sprawling in those areas at levels that could invite conflicts. Additionally, many of the inhabited areas in those states do not fall on the routes taken to the East and other Southern states. I don't think you'll be satisfied with any explanation I give. You are not a serious person to be on any negotiating table. We normally just beat people like you up and throw you in jail. Dan tselewa smiley
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by adejoro75: 9:33pm On Jul 15, 2011
Part of the reason why you do not hear so many cattle rearer-farmer conflicts in the far North is because many of the farms are mechanized. Mechanization implies that the farms are fenced and secured against not just cattle encroachment, but also farm thieves. Down south, at least in the East and South South, farm holdings are fragmented and so mechanization and attendant security measures are less of an option. Thus, the Fulani cattle rearers and their animals have no physical barriers preventing them from grazing on crops. Keep in mind that the few mechanized farms in the East are excluded from grazing because they are secured.

There is no way Fulani cattle can have any official grazing ground in the East because land is a family matter and  a very serious issue. Will the govt buy off/confiscate family land and convert them to grazing ground? In any case, it is unthinkable that Igbo farm land can be taken and given to fulani for cattle grazing.

If the fulanis attack farmers who complain of their grazed farms, they could also be attacked. It happened before in Abia State (mid 90s) when the Fulani was routed and their cattle killed and consumed by locals. In fact, there is  a silent operation going on now in different parts of Igboland. Those fulani who reportedly violated women in Umuapu (along Port Harcourt-Owerri Road) have the cover of their brother-soldiers at the nearby Obinze Barracks. But those of them who have ventured into the local markets-as they do to sell their fura- will not be able to tell the story-something has happened. I will refrain from talking more about this  for now.

The fulani should modernize their activities. They must not sacrifice people's farming activity for their own grazing needs. No livelihood is superior than the other. The desert in the North can be turned into green grazing ground. What are all the dams built in the North used for?
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by ezeagu(m): 10:10pm On Jul 15, 2011
EzeUche:

Abians still have beef.  cool

Fulani know there place in our society as well. Win-win situation.

Then a 'no-go Area Policy' will not hurt Imo or south east beaf.

EzeUche:

No nomadic herding in the U.S.? It goes by another name. What do you call cowboys?

This would be relevant if cowboys graze in Central Park.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 10:19pm On Jul 15, 2011

Onlytruth, You do not have sprawling in those areas at levels that could invite conflicts. Additionally, many of the inhabited areas in those states do not fall on the routes taken to the East and other Southern states. I don't think you'll be satisfied with any explanation I give. [b]You are not a serious person to be on any negotiating table. We normally just beat people like you up and throw you in jail. [/b]Dan tselewa

You may not know it, but my type is really your best friends in Nigeria, because at least I am talking and saying what I want to happen; what I think should bring peace and harmony; basically putting forward solutions that no one dared talk about in Nigeria, yet those are the ONLY solutions. A lot of folks are not talking, but they are wanting to "speak" in ways that your type respect.

Ever wonder why nothing is working in Nigeria, and everyone is calling for division?
It is because never-do-wells like yourself refuse all rational solutions and still insist in ruling others who are far more intelligent than you.

One thing I would tell you is this; Nigeria is a nation of contradictions, and the person feeling powerful may actually be the victim, taken down from behind by converts to the cause of truth.  cool
I will tell you this again: REPENT.

Mutun banza!
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 10:27pm On Jul 15, 2011
Posted by: adejoro75

Part of the reason why you do not hear so many cattle rearer-farmer conflicts in the far North is because many of the farms are mechanized. Mechanization implies that the farms are fenced and secured against not just cattle encroachment, but also farm thieves. Down south, at least in the East and South South, farm holdings are fragmented and so mechanization and attendant security measures are less of an option. [/b]Thus, the Fulani cattle rearers and their animals have no physical barriers preventing them from grazing on crops. Keep in mind that the few mechanized farms in the East are excluded from grazing because they are secured.

[b]The fulani should modernize their activities. They must not sacrifice people's farming activity for their own grazing needs. No livelihood is superior to the other. The desert in the North can be turned into green grazing ground. What are all the dams been built in the North used for?

Thank you for a very intelligent and honest post.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by revolt(m): 11:25pm On Jul 15, 2011
who would the policy affect more i think its we o dont shoot urselves in the foot like u voted jona. we have lots of businesses up north imagine what would happn if the north implments tht same policy on business men up north, abeg oi. moreover its against the principles of one nigeria
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 8:17pm On Aug 05, 2011
Here is the thread again.

Enugu has just initiated it. Other SE states must follow suit. A stitch in time saves nine.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by NegroNtns(m): 8:48pm On Aug 05, 2011
Onlytruth,

I read your original post. You have lost your daymn mind, proposing for a no go area on your land but you want to be on everyone else's land. You are everywhere on fulani territory but you want to restrict him in your territory. What a fool u are.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 1:53am On Aug 06, 2011
Posted by: Negro_Ntns

Onlytruth,

I read your original post. You have lost your daymn mind, proposing for a no go area on your land but you want to be on everyone else's land. You are everywhere on fulani territory but you want to restrict him in your territory. What a fool u are.

Every piece of land where you find Igbo people in Nigeria is paid for. They either own it, or they pay rent. Period.
I know say your people too like awuf, but please don't confuse the issues.

If they pay for grazing rights, I would give them my acres of land in Udi. If they don't and insist on grazing there, they'll likely meet my gun. cool No apologies about that.
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by pleep(m): 4:12am On Aug 06, 2011
. .
Re: The Governors Of SE Should Declare "no-go Area Policy" For Fulani Herdsmen by pleep(m): 4:15am On Aug 06, 2011
These fulanis sef. . . Very odd ppl.

Anyway, why did this topic come up? Did the herdsmen do something again?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bloodbath In Bayelsa / Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! / President Slok Group, Dr Uzor Kalu, Visits India On Planned Steel Rolling Mill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.