Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,591 members, 7,823,576 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt (2158 Views)

I Would Divorce Her- My Wife Is Callous / My Wife Is Adulterous: Advice Needed-long Post / My Wife Is A Good Woman But Hates Sex After Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by Richy4(m): 9:56am On May 24, 2022
Klass99:

I can relate to this because a documentary I watched on homeless people in L.A. or California (can't remember which city precisely) accurately captured and narrated this.

I learnt even your chances of renting your next accommodation are ruined if your credit score is poor or you have been late on your payments a few times. A landlord can check all that info online and decide he is not renting to you.

Exactly.. information is just on the palm of every one's hand.. that is why being blacklisted is a nightmare for anyone living abroad..

2 Likes

Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by BunmiBie: 9:42pm On Jul 21, 2022
GboyegaD:
Why not first try to convince her to cut down her limit? Besides, since she isn't working, how is she able to get many credit cards with much limits?

An approach might be to get a new credit card for both of you that offers a promotional interest of 0% for the 1st 15months (Chase, Wells Farfo, Bank of America, America Express) if you are in the US offers such card.

Call to ask if you can transfer balances and consolidate balances in the one card. Once you do this, don't give her the card but you rather start paying down the credit to the best of your ability and if after the promotional period you have outstanding balance, you can convert it into a term loan.

Going forward, try to monitor her expense and try to help her not to buy things she doesn't need.

Oga mi sir.

Please, enlighten me on how a new immigrant in the US can build credit score.
Thanks
Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by GboyegaD(m): 10:16pm On Jul 21, 2022
BunmiBie:

Oga mi sir.

Please, enlighten me on how a new immigrant in the US can build credit score.
Thanks

Start with the basic one like discover and be consistent in paying. Once you start working, you will be surprised how your credit will grow
Try ensure that at all times, you are below 20% utilization rate and as your limit increases, bring your utilization down to below 10%.
Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by BunmiBie: 4:02am On Jul 22, 2022
GboyegaD:

Start with the basic one like discover and be consistent in paying. Once you start working, you will be surprised how your credit will grow
Try ensure that at all times, you are below 20% utilization rate and as your limit increases, bring your utilization down to below 10%.

Ok sir.
Is it true that using it for simple payments like utilities increases the score faster rather than buying things like gadgets.
Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by Stevenbright(m): 5:29am On Jul 22, 2022
50pseamer:

I have already done all you mentioned to no avail, I was even thinking she was doing a hidden business, I have not stopped her from working, she is currently doing some study, and I never pressured her to work until recently that I started sending her vacancies. I wanted her to finish her studies so she could get a good job , that was why I never pressured her earlier to work. She had an online job she was doing as well but she does not earn much from it. She could have asked me for help if she needed to do anything she cannot afford. But I will need to know what it is

You have got a great perspective on things but your woman is unnecessary being a spoiler!
Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by Stevenbright(m): 6:01am On Jul 22, 2022
Klass99:

Gboyega, is this not too much hand holding and baby sitting of a grown up? She wants to be the second child in that marriage, abi? Doesn't she understand the land she lives in and how debt, credit scores etc, works?

All these destiny derailers people call spouse sef, una dey try as married people o, walahi. From alcohol to gambling addicts, now debtors too.

You just summarized some of the classic bad traits destroying individuals and families in our society today. But the fact is that some of these spouses noticed these negative traits in their would be spouse but will not face the reality because they do rather be emotional than being logical just like many people are being emotional and illusional about the upcoming 2023 elections rather being logical.
Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by GboyegaD(m): 6:06am On Jul 22, 2022
BunmiBie:

Ok sir.
Is it true that using it for simple payments like utilities increases the score faster rather than buying things like gadgets.

Not sure if one holds more weight however, in my opinion, it shouldn't matter. I would be more concerned about utilization rates, repayment history, a d revolving balances.
Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by BunmiBie: 11:13am On Jul 22, 2022
GboyegaD:

Not sure if one holds more weight however, in my opinion, it shouldn't matter. I would be more concerned about utilization rates, repayment history, a d revolving balances.

I got it. Thanks
Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by Klass99(f): 9:33pm On Jul 25, 2022
Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by Stevenbright(m): 10:28pm On Jul 25, 2022
Klass99:

Hi Steve, how's the writing and publishing hustle going? The bolded made me smile cheesy

Haha.... It maybe funny but a salient fact.

The writing and publishing hustle is good and made more rewarding by the current dollars to naira exchange rate.

How is your side?
Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by Klass99(f): 10:35pm On Jul 25, 2022
smiley
Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by Stevenbright(m): 10:50pm On Jul 25, 2022
Klass99:

Now I'm envious. I need to start earning in dollars or pounds and euros. As you no gree talk which faction is being emotional and illogical about the upcoming elections, I kukuma leave you. Political debates are not my thing sef.

I'm good, been busy but good.

Nice to know you are good! Being busy is goodness too.

Let me give you some tips: I believe in Nigeria being my country. If the country is fragmented today, I will immediately switch my faith to the part I will now automatically belong to. But still, I know we have been living in self deceit as a nation. It is illogical for another northerner to be attempting to replace another northerner who is about completing his 8 years as president of Nigeria but it is as well illogical for some people to feel that the weaker candidate out of the two main Southern presidential candidates should be supported thereby dividing the southern votes and further brightening the chance of another person from the north becoming the next president.

1 Like

Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by OlawaleBammie: 8:43am On Jul 26, 2022
50pseamer:
Hi all,
I have been married for about 3 years to my wife and we live abroad, some years back I discovered my wife has credit card debt , and was keeping it away from me, I complained about it, and she was not remorseful, she was paying so much on the credit as interest and insurance that I had to help her stop the insurance payments, and I started supporting her more financially by paying for something's for my child so she does not use all the money I give her for it. I looked at her statement again not long ago and the debt has drastically increased, she is buying more stuff. Even though she is not working at the moment and I pay 99 percent of all the bills, and give her money every month too. I told her to consult me whenever she has to do a major purchase for our child that her monthly allowance can not support.
Her debt has grown to about 5 thousand dollars now with an interest of about 22 percent per year, she spends more than she pays back, I am afraid she will plunge the family into debt.
When I asked her for an explanation of what she is using the money for , she told me she is spending it on herself and our child which I don't believe.She gathered the debt over a period of one year and some months.What happens when we have another child?
I asked her to tell me how she plans to put an end to this growing debt but she has given me no response till date , she is only saying she will work and pay it off.
I am confused because I do not see the reason for so much debt, since we can afford most of the things we need, and. She can still afford to send a little stipend home, I asked her to let us discuss her financial needs of she needs more money from me , but she never came for that discussion. Am I not supposed to know about her debt as her husband? Is it beyond me to want her to stop gathering a debt that can spiral beyond her control?
Unfortunately it would have been late before u decide to call ur brain into action.

Alaye u no suppose know say ur wife dey service her Ex??

Sebi una no wan get brain ni, dem go teach una etiquette for that place.

Bross pls wait till she's done with her Ex, she wil eventually have ur tym by then, and if u go fight her because of this and she throw ur belongings out tru the window, well that is ur cup of tea as well, i am less concerned.

Continue sponsoring her Ex sir pls cont. U wil get sense when u get suffocated.
Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by OlawaleBammie: 8:45am On Jul 26, 2022
Hamzaaaaaaaa:
Your wife is obviously taking care of one small boy that's driving her crazy due to his big gbola,next thing you will receive now is divorce letter gbas!!!!!
Dont mind the imbecilic apparatus, let him be forming Romeo.
Re: My Wife Is Running Into Credit Card Debt by juman(m): 11:35am On Jul 26, 2022
She has to return the credit card first.
She has lost her sense of financial control.

Be prepared to divorce her if she continue to spend recklessly.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sex Is Food For The Married / Becoming A Father At Age 13! / God loves me as I am.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.