Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,865 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? (30916 Views)

Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? / Nigerians Spent ₦4.6 Trillion Eating Out In 2019 / Are You Tired Of Market Hustling Before Cooking Or Having An Event? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ICEWIN: 8:15pm On May 25, 2022
As for my level eating outside is way cheaper than cooking.
I don't include meat, I pay 300 per plate in the morning, dinner 400 making a total of 700.

I tried preparing just jollof rice I calculated all my expenses omo e dey enter 1k.

cup of rice 100×3=300
oil cup 100
pepper,Maggi,thyme etc 200.
tomotoes satchet 250
salt 20
cray fish 100
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by waploger(m): 8:18pm On May 25, 2022
Deepocean:
No matter how, cooking will always be cost effective.

For you to eat satisfactorily in any mamaput these days, you will have at least 1,000

Let say you want to eat 1,000 food in the morning, eat snacks of 300 in the afternoon and another 1,000 meal as dinner.

This will amount to 16,100 in a week and 69,000 in a month of 30 days.

Now, if you use 69,000 to get raw food.

Analysis: If you look out to fill your gas from the seller selling in bulk you will fill at an average of 700/kg. You will fill 12.5kg cylinder with 9,000 transport included.

Out of 69,000.

1 12.5kg gas +transport fare = 9,000

1. ½ bag of rice = 15,000

2 Bean = 5,000

3. Semi 10kg = 6,000

4. Garri = 3,000

5. Yam = 5000

Ingredients for cooking soup eg: Palm oil, seasoning and others =5,000

Balance = 26,000

Out of the remaining 26,000
Budget 4,000 for soup and the transport fare to buy the ingredients every week.

Remaining 6,000 can be kept for miscellaneous and evening suya and Pepsi while returning from work.

Mtchewww... This your calculation na for movie stars oh!!! If I mention cook food for house, na till I finish am I go bellefull
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Streetmovement(m): 8:27pm On May 25, 2022
skywalker240:

grin @ tuama

But that's what we pass through over here

Wotoporiously cool speaking

No be bobo juice my brother, Na to tuama o grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ashewoboy(m): 8:46pm On May 25, 2022
Bluezy13:

I eat a plate of food for N350 plus extra Eba N50 that's N400 in total. I can eat that twice a day and that's all for the day.
Alternatively,
Beans is N200.
Beans plus rice is N250 to N300
Meat is N100.

This means that apart from Eba that I spend N400 on, every other food is between N300 to N350. Sometimes I eat twice a day.
I am in Calabar.
By the way, I earn above N100k monthly and I can afford to eat however I wish to, but I am the type that eat only what I need.
Things are expensive but I happen to come across some places I eat for amounts stated above.
In my analysis, I assumed N500 on the average just to drive home my point.

Now if you had mentioned me in the first three pages of this thread, I wouldn't have replied you for personal reasons which has nothing to do with you.

You are even a big boycheesy. eating out is better?
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ashewoboy(m): 8:47pm On May 25, 2022
A.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Allisgud: 8:52pm On May 25, 2022
Bluezy13:

I eat a plate of food for N350 plus extra Eba N50 that's N400 in total. I can eat that twice a day and that's all for the day.
Alternatively,
Beans is N200.
Beans plus rice is N250 to N300
Meat is N100.

This means that apart from Eba that I spend N400 on, every other food is between N300 to N350. Sometimes I eat twice a day.
I am in Calabar.
By the way, I earn above N100k monthly and I can afford to eat however I wish to, but I am the type that eat only what I need.
Things are expensive but I happen to come across some places I eat for amounts stated above.
In my analysis, I assumed N500 on the average just to drive home my point.

Now if you had mentioned me in the first three pages of this thread, I wouldn't have replied you for personal reasons which has nothing to do with you.
ok,I don ear
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Digmygold: 8:55pm On May 25, 2022
Sageez:
For me wey no de like keep soup for long, eating out is the best.

Breakfast: tea and bread at home.
Launch: soup and eba (eat out) N400
Dinner: beans (eat out) N200

How much is bread and tea? So you spend like 1k daily on food. You be rich student.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by cnckitchenwares: 9:10pm On May 25, 2022
Omo cooking is cheaper oo. When you cook in bulk and store in the freeze you don't waste money...just bring out warm and you are good to go.

Meanwhile....I sell very nice kitchenwares, ceramic plates and soup bowls and glasswares (wine glasses, beer glasses, cocktail glasses etc)

1 Like

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by nesgeeek(m): 9:29pm On May 25, 2022
I cook all my food in my house.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Nongovernmental: 9:32pm On May 25, 2022
After Over 100 Financial Sensitization Thread on Nairaland,

Is The Messiah of The World A SCAMMER ?

Well, Find Out Here:

Alas; The Messiah of The World is A Scam:

https://www.nairaland.com/7143086/long-last-called-messiah-world#7143086.8

58 Days Financial Challenge:

https://www.nairaland.com/7058371/58-days-countdown-earn-next

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Gkemz: 9:54pm On May 25, 2022
Cooking is more cost effective if you're cooking in a large quantity than eating out.
With 2k, you can prepare a meal that can sustain you for 3days on two square meal per day.
However a plate of rice in a low key restaurant is 500 with meat which means 500×6=3000
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by aalangel(f): 9:54pm On May 25, 2022
ashewoboy:

Seriously. Sometimes, I'm just managing the food. There are some dope places though.

Yes, there are. But don't make it a habit. I enjoy food cooked by me.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by jimmychang: 10:04pm On May 25, 2022
skywalker240:

Very surprising

When I traveled to suleja, I couldn't finish a 500 naira plate of food.

You see,Benin own too much.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ashewoboy(m): 10:06pm On May 25, 2022
aalangel:

Yes, there are. But don't make it a habit. I enjoy food cooked by me.

You sound like a wife material. Come and cook for me. I like youcheesy.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by skywalker240(m): 10:39pm On May 25, 2022
Alusiizizi:

This is for one meal. For three square meals, multiply that figure by 3. I used indomie as an example because if you cannot do home cooked indomie cheaper than outside prepared then you probably cannot do any home cooked meal cheaper.
When you cook soup and Stew with 4k as a single man it will last you 4days,

When you spend 1k5 for four day's then you'll agree with me that cooking is better on the long run
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by skywalker240(m): 10:40pm On May 25, 2022
jimmychang:

You see,Benin own too much.
Darn over exaggerated
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by skywalker240(m): 10:47pm On May 25, 2022
Streetmovement:

Wotoporiously cool speaking

No be bobo juice my brother, Na to tuama o grin grin
Wetin Man go do

Sometimes when I go to work at a site very far from my residence, I'll buy their food

God go see us through

1 Like

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Kayclite: 11:15pm On May 25, 2022
EmekaBlue:
but the ulcer have not disturbed me. And I've been like this for years undecided
To be honest, that ulcer thing na lie. I know peeps who eat just once a day. I've also gone 50+ hours without food.

But if you are to eat just once a day, make sure your diet is super-healthy, organic and natural.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Nighouseplans(m): 11:18pm On May 25, 2022
Eating out is more cost effective because the food mostly wastes when you cook for one.
You can't keep eating same food in case you cook and store in the freezer...
Also time to benefit ratio isn't also worth it. The time it takes to cook for 4 people is same time you'll use to cook for one person.
Just simply eat out where natural food is served. Not fast food. Much better.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Nighouseplans(m): 11:21pm On May 25, 2022
Gkemz:
Cooking is more cost effective if you're cooking in a large quantity than eating out.
With 2k, you can prepare a meal that can sustain you for 3days on two square meal per day.
However a plate of rice in a low key restaurant is 500 with meat which means 500×6=3000

You didn't factor in the cooking time. That time is money directly. In my opinion.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ILuvKIDS: 11:39pm On May 25, 2022
Lol people eat N400 food and be satisfied.... Wtf.... undecided
N200 beans angry
are you a rat? undecided

@the topic, nothing is cheaper than cooking your own meal.
The satisfaction and quantity nor be mate.
Last time I was in a restaurant is being a while but they are expensive.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by asogo1: 11:45pm On May 25, 2022
[quote author=skywalker240 post=113165084]
My guy come try eating out for Benin city make you know wetin life de talk

You go chop 1200 naira worth food in the afternoon, you go hungry before 45mins

Am safe to conclude, You might probably be in one of those northern states where foodstuffs and restaurants food's are excessively cheap and served in large quantities

Over here in Benin

2 meat= 200 each

4 wraps of fufu (the size of a 1 year old baby's fist) = 100 naira each

Vegetables soup= 150

Orha soup= 150

Egusi and ogbonor= free

As for spoon

Rice= 400 (na that one aldut fit eat)

2 meat= 200 each

Spaghetti= 200

Or

2 meat= 200 each

Boiled Beans=200

Rice=300

4 pieces of Dodo (fried plantain) =150

Boiled egg = 100 naira

In the evening

Palm Oil beans = 250
I just dey look all of them wey d shout eat out. Try am for Benin, for one week your mind go dey.
I prefer cooking my meals, i enjoy it more

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Wwwq: 1:40am On May 26, 2022
I can cook even at 1 am I just cooked a nice vegetable soup with poundo yam
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by EmekaBlue(m): 2:46am On May 26, 2022
Kayclite:

To be honest, that ulcer thing na lie. I know peeps who eat just once a day. I've also gone 50+ hours without food.

But if you are to eat just once a day, make sure your diet is super-healthy, organic and natural.
Gbam
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Reeb2244: 2:55am On May 26, 2022
ashewoboy:
I'm serious. I'm about to make a decision.
So, you have never been cooking and never been eating outside?
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Bluezy13(m): 5:32am On May 26, 2022
ashewoboy:

You are even a big boycheesy. eating out is better?

That can tell from the number of likes attracted by the post on the first page.

Practically, you can try it for yourself.
Use 1 or 2 weeks. Eat normally and avoid extravagant eating. If additional meat is not necessary, then don't eat it.
Try it and you will know which is better.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Strongbest(m): 5:44am On May 26, 2022
tesppidd:
Lol, i disagree!

There are very many places you could eat good food. Not necessarily those thieving eateries all over the place. (went to eat rice and chicken on easter eve at one Genesis in PH and they charged me 3,500. just rice and chicken oohh. Na Gold dem take cook am?)

I know very good restaurants here in PH were you can eat very good food for 800 to 1k. I mean very delicious and well made.

Even at home quality varies. It doesn't necessarily mean because you call it "home made" food then it must be good food.

i tell you solemnly, some people's home made foods are still worse than the mama put you talked about.

So i insist, FOR ONE PERSON, it cheaper to eat very quality food outside than to make the same very quality food at home.
(When you have to buy the complete ingredients, the proteins, the gas, the oils, the tomatoes, etc)

When it comes to family cooking or cooling for 3 or more then it becomes more economical to cook at home. You will not use different gas na, you buy in bulk and the ingredients can be managed.

Well, all man to himself o. If you checked properly, I said eatery. I don't do Mama Put and I will never do them, I have my reasons for that.

You see, any food you eat outside put you at alot of risks. Just to make you have a little understanding of what I am saying; eating outside is one dangerous thing, as the environment where such foods are cooked can be an eyesore, infact, everything about outside food is dangerous.

The eateries on the other hand are a bit bitter than mama put in terms of hygiene and all. This ones try as much as possible to maintain some high standard of hygiene because it's not usually a one man enterprise. People from different arena work with them and may expose them, should they engage in any form of diabolical act and unhygienic practices.

For instance, Mr. Biggs, Chicken Republic, Tanterlizer etc they will do all possible to avoid any dirty practice.

In most local restaurants anything goes. Most of them will cook in a cockroach and rat infested environment. Any of these things could have many time be falling into their soup: lizards, rats, cockroaches will fall into their soups and they will just take them out and continue serving grin grin grin grin

Sorry, I am sorry, bye.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by tesppidd: 6:00am On May 26, 2022
Strongbest:

Well, all man to himself o. If you checked properly, I said eatery. I don't do Mama Put and I will never do them, I have my reasons for that.

You see, any food you eat outside put you at alot of risks. Just to make you have a little understanding of what I am saying; eating outside is one dangerous thing, as the environment where such foods are cooked can be an eyesore, infact, everything about outside food is dangerous.

The eateries on the other hand are a bit bitter than mama put in terms of hygiene and all. This ones try as much as possible to maintain some high standard of hygiene because it's not usually a one man enterprise. People from different arena work with them and may expose them, should they engage in any form of diabolical act and unhygienic practices.

For instance, Mr. Biggs, Chicken Republic, Tanterlizer etc they will do all possible to avoid any dirty practice.

In most local restaurants anything goes. Most of them will cook in a cockroach and rat infested environment. Any of these things could have many time be falling into their soup: lizards, rats, cockroaches will fall into their soups and they will just take them out and continue serving grin grin grin grin

Sorry, I am sorry, bye.
Alright i get your points.

Now you are talking about the hygiene factor. And i can't argue with that.
Surely cooking is the best way to ensure your food hygiene.

But remember this entire thread was about cost effectiveness and not hygiene.!

Well like you rightly said, all man for himself.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ashewoboy(m): 6:43am On May 26, 2022
Bluezy13:

That can tell from the number of likes attracted by the post on the first page.

Practically, you can try it for yourself.
Use 1 or 2 weeks. Eat normally and avoid extravagant eating. If additional meat is not necessary, then don't eat it.
Try it and you will know which is better.

I nor know say na you I quotecheesy. You are a dope guy.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ashewoboy(m): 6:46am On May 26, 2022
Nighouseplans:
Eating out is more cost effective because the food mostly wastes when you cook for one.
You can't keep eating same food in case you cook and store in the freezer...
Also time to benefit ratio isn't also worth it. The time it takes to cook for 4 people is same time you'll use to cook for one person.
Just simply eat out where natural food is served. Not fast food. Much better.

It's the stress for mecheesy. You eat out?
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Alusiizizi(m): 7:29am On May 26, 2022
skywalker240:

When you cook soup and Stew with 4k as a single man it will last you 4days,

When you spend 1k5 for four day's then you'll agree with me that cooking is better on the long run

Let's see. Soup with 4k to last for 4 days. What kind of soup will this be? Is it one with no meat? Perhaps also one that consists of mostly water. No way friend. Four days of soup is going to be costing at least 6K even for a single man.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Alusiizizi(m): 7:36am On May 26, 2022
hardayemmie:

Incorrect bro... The best way cooking at home will pay up is buying your food stuffs in bulk. Not in pieces. E.g indomie 1 cartoon for a month.

The most that you can save from buying indomie in bulk is #10~#20 per pack. Where the extra cost incurred with making a bachelor meal comes is the big production that's involved with cooking just a single meal. Kerosene/gas, it's far more efficient fuel-wise to make a large meal meant to be eaten by many than what is to be eaten by one person along with a list of other expenses.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ogbono Soup With Step By Step Pics / 6 Simple Foods Every Nigerian Women Must Know How To Make / Endangered Turtle Butchered By Residents In Lagos. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.