Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,139 members, 7,825,576 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? (30926 Views)

Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? / Nigerians Spent ₦4.6 Trillion Eating Out In 2019 / Are You Tired Of Market Hustling Before Cooking Or Having An Event? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Sageez(m): 6:12pm On May 25, 2022
YoungDaNaval:
soup and Eba 400? Meat dey inside at all bros

Here in pH na 1k with one meat oh
N400 bro. Even in choba
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Timijo(m): 6:12pm On May 25, 2022
ashewoboy:

You even dey cook vegetable? Wahalla.

How is it cheap? Explain.
It's very cheap to cook soup like vegetable, ogbono, beans soup if you like it, stew and okro. If you have a fridge, you can prepare any of the soups and store it there.

For the vegetable soup, you need the leaves, fish or meat, pepper, Maggie, salt and palm oil. To spice up the taste, add locust beans, crayfish, stock fish and little pieces of ponmon.
Note: Blend the locust beans with the crayfish.
You can manage 1.5k to 2k to prepare this soup and it could last for a week. Just store it in the fridge if there is one.
You can support your feeding with rice, beans, spaghetti, etc
during the week.

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Sageez(m): 6:12pm On May 25, 2022
Rubbiish:

The type wey dey hold body abi lol
You can say that again grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Honestfrend: 6:13pm On May 25, 2022
ashewoboy:

Na wetin I dey do. Na why I dey ask. Them don worry me tire say make I dey cook for housecheesy. I be bachelor. No girlfriend to cook for me. Maybe seunmohmoh go come cook for me. I nor like the stress of cooking.

grin grin

I don dey cook small small.. My 6kg gas na 10months e dey last. grin

All the whole buker nai I dun chup from..

Can't wait 2 propose 2 my girl..

1 Like

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by dedunji: 6:14pm On May 25, 2022
Na lazy people get time to cook . imagine me waiting for like 30 minutes moving round kitchen just becouse I want to cook waiting .b4 the food done self I don collapse .
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ashewoboy(m): 6:16pm On May 25, 2022
aalangel:

Nothing beats cooking.
When you buy food, you attract hunger (cos it won't fill you), anger (cos they won't cook to your taste) and possibly, illness.

Seriously. Sometimes, I'm just managing the food. There are some dope places though.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ashewoboy(m): 6:18pm On May 25, 2022
Reference:
The question every young man and woman growing into adulthood will have to answer.
And over time I have come to discover that there are no answers set in stone because life varies in time and space, so there will never be a better choice over any extended period of time and over ever opportunity and location where one will find himself.

Makes me come to the conclusion that wisdom is somewhere in between and it comes in the form of: contract catering.
Home made cooking but with the advantage of a personal touch but with the expertise of cost effectiveness, and with little or no overheads.

A lot of working class families are now adopting this option.

What are you saying? Like daddy freeze, you are in betweencheesy.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ashewoboy(m): 6:21pm On May 25, 2022
Deepocean:

The foodstuffs mentioned above are even at the exaggerated side, you can't exhaust them in a month unless you have ghost or some unseen spirit eating with you.

Even if you are eating only rice everyday half bag of rice will still last past one week, let alone combining the rice with semo, yam, bean, eba and all.

Everything just requires planning, even if you're a programmer.

Maximum is for you to use 18 hours of your 24 hours for the programming which will not even be at a stretch.

Remember, the topic focuses only on cost effectiveness not looking at strees or whatever.

The talks on programming or not is another discussion entirely. Gotten?

We are looking at stress. Read through.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ashewoboy(m): 6:22pm On May 25, 2022
DonMaxxy:

Your are woke man. When you are in a new area, eating out will help you know what's going on. You meet new people, even the spot you normally go to eat, they can help you solve some problems, give you some guidelines.

You will hear something like: "I have a customer that is good in that area, he comes to eat by afternoon, I will get his contact or you drop yours"

While I was still in Nigeria, I entered a restaurant in Uyo to have some lunch one hot afternoon. A young girl serving there walked up to me smiling. she inquired what I care to have, I told her.." ataama soup or vegetable anyone is okay"
She served me and after eating I brought out money, she said no, that she just like me, that she will pay with her money. I was like "holy gram" I declined. I insisted I must pay. Fine ebony matured girl. The next day I gave her my contact. She called that evening. Guess what? You guess is as good as mine grin grin

Hoenishinacheesy.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ashewoboy(m): 6:23pm On May 25, 2022
Shidda:

Eating at home is healthier and cheaper, but if you calculate time the cook, it's probably better to eat outside.
But if you hire a chef, depending on his/her price, it's probably best

Hire a what?cheesy. You dey whine me ni?

Bachelor that is trying to save money.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ashewoboy(m): 6:25pm On May 25, 2022
Tremple8v:
Only you know what's best for you .... your standard of living matters. Hope you get fridge incase you want dey cook for house . And hope you get time to dey put soup for fire make soup no spoil oo. Incase you no get fridge.

I nor go dey cook soup. Everything go be jollofcheesy.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Tremple8v: 6:30pm On May 25, 2022
Ahh

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Mendy101: 6:32pm On May 25, 2022
skywalker240:

That was then

Now my wife de always make sure I chop before I comot house and before I return, food don bell up me grin
Nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ashewoboy(m): 6:34pm On May 25, 2022
Allisgud:
for a single guy,na food u come chop for Lagos,this is supposed to be for a family of 4 husband and wife 2 children

cheesy. You are not a good person.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by ashewoboy(m): 6:39pm On May 25, 2022
Moredays78:
Myself personally, I've decided to be eating out unless my gf visits or I get married, reason is this: I can cook a pot of soup of 5k only to eat it twice or trice den get tired of it and dash it out to my neighbor. But I can eat with that same 5k for upto a week with different varieties of meals...Single life no sweet me again to be honest.

Another angle here. You wan marry?
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Buje1987(m): 6:41pm On May 25, 2022
Omo buying food � outside is costly and e don tire me sef. I think I need to get one girl and marry her. If you buy foodstuffs at home in bulk and all ingredients at home it’s cheaper cooking � at home. I have done the experiment more than enough time
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by MeghaneMorgane(f): 6:43pm On May 25, 2022
Cooking is more cost effective
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by saintruky(m): 6:46pm On May 25, 2022
Sageez:
For me wey no de like keep soup for long, eating out is the best.

Breakfast: tea and bread at home.
Launch: soup and eba (eat out) N400
Dinner: beans (eat out) N200

400 worth of eba n soup no r go fit belleful me sef.. in fact d food nor go reach my belle as e no get weight..

Cooking is best, only if u have freezer to store d cooked food.. person like me i hate to warm food on a daily, so i go jejely cook tiny soup n most times i eat out...

Breakfast... Nil
Lunch... Beans n yam porridge + fish(eat out)
Dinner... Eba... Except i no get food then i dine out...
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 25, 2022
Bluezy13:
Eating out is more cost effective.

Additionally, you get to eat varieties.

Perfect analysis. Awesome coming from a guy. Every word you've written is the truth. The stress, warming of the same stew, cooking the same food with the stew.. perfectly written.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Buje1987(m): 6:49pm On May 25, 2022
PerfectStranger:
Outside food no dey belly full me,an hour later I'll feel hungry again.
But naija economy now is messed up, gas now is 800 per kg, foodstuffs on a high side.
All thanks to mama nkechi restaurant grin

Shey na Abule Egba you dey stay?
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by samsard(m): 6:50pm On May 25, 2022
EmekaBlue:
but the ulcer have not disturbed me. And I've been like this for years undecided
People engage in bad habits for decades before the effects sometimes begin to show.
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Munzy14(m): 6:52pm On May 25, 2022
Deepocean:
No matter how, cooking will always be cost effective.

For you to eat satisfactorily in any mamaput these days, you will have at least 1,000

Let say you want to eat 1,000 food in the morning, eat snacks of 300 in the afternoon and another 1,000 meal as dinner.

This will amount to 16,100 in a week and 69,000 in a month of 30 days.

Now, if you use 69,000 to get raw food.

Analysis: If you look out to fill your gas from the seller selling in bulk you will fill at an average of 700/kg. You will fill 12.5kg cylinder with 9,000 transport included.

Out of 69,000.

1 12.5kg gas +transport fare = 9,000

1. ½ bag of rice = 15,000

2 Bean = 5,000

3. Semi 10kg = 6,000

4. Garri = 3,000

5. Yam = 5000

Ingredients for cooking soup eg: Palm oil, seasoning and others =5,000

Balance = 26,000

Out of the remaining 26,000
Budget 4,000 for soup and the transport fare to buy the ingredients every week.

Remaining 6,000 can be kept for miscellaneous and evening suya and Pepsi while returning from work.
Na Economics you study? cheesy
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Bluezy13(m): 7:00pm On May 25, 2022
Allisgud:
eating to ur satisfaction,this time around 500# food be like wetin Dem won give 2 year old
I eat a plate of food for N350 plus extra Eba N50 that's N400 in total. I can eat that twice a day and that's all for the day.
Alternatively,
Beans is N200.
Beans plus rice is N250 to N300
Meat is N100.

This means that apart from Eba that I spend N400 on, every other food is between N300 to N350. Sometimes I eat twice a day.
I am in Calabar.
By the way, I earn above N100k monthly and I can afford to eat however I wish to, but I am the type that eat only what I need.
Things are expensive but I happen to come across some places I eat for amounts stated above.
In my analysis, I assumed N500 on the average just to drive home my point.

Now if you had mentioned me in the first three pages of this thread, I wouldn't have replied you for personal reasons which has nothing to do with you.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Sike(m): 7:11pm On May 25, 2022
Deepocean:

For you to eat satisfactorily in any mamaput these days, you will have at least 1,000

Let say you want to eat 1,000 food in the morning, eat snacks of 300 in the afternoon and another 1,000 meal as dinner.

Analysis: If you look out to fill your gas from the seller selling in bulk you will fill at an average of 700/kg. You will fill 12.5kg cylinder with 9,000 transport included.

Out of 69,000.

2 Bean = 5,000

3. Semi 10kg = 6,000

4. Garri = 3,000

5. Yam = 5000

Balance = 26,000

Remaining 6,000 can be kept for miscellaneous and evening suya and Pepsi while returning from work.
Gbayi
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Karnice600: 7:12pm On May 25, 2022
ashewoboy:
I'm serious. I'm about to make a decision.

Talking in terms of expenses, home cooking is best. If you feel you need to switch between varieties randomly, cooking still gives the best. If you cook often, you'll know that buying wares in bulk is a life saver.
Back in school, I lived off campus in a rented apartment. I hated the idea of always going to the market. I could easily stroll to next store and get some few grains and snacks, but a girl checked in and changed all those.
She got a little bag of semo and flour on one of her visits. She'll make pancakes in the morning. We take semo at noon,( although I disliked semo and preferred fufu or eba) and take noodles or just snacks for dinner. I started thinking like a family man. I'll patronise one of my aunts friends who sold garri in bags, buy a quarter bag. I did same for beans and rice and I never went hungry for a day. All I had to do was refill my gas can and maybe buy some condiments, curry, spices, salt... Guys would always troop to my domain under hot sun, after lectures to come chaun, not that I had the money. It was just good planning from a girl with a good head and it changed my orientation on this completely.
So its more costly to eat out than "eat in". Why? Cos food vendors make sure they pay themselves for their efforts, for every dish you get. Lastly, you only have a bargaining power in the market, not in a restaurant.
Choice is yours nevertheless.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by FBIBOT(m): 7:15pm On May 25, 2022
I will always prefer cooking to eating out anyday anytime unless you are far away from home
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Lekan239(m): 7:15pm On May 25, 2022
Deepocean:

Out of 69,000.

2 Bean = 5,000

3. Semi 10kg = 6,000

4. Garri = 3,000

5. Yam = 5000

Balance = 26,000

how one person will finish all this food in a month. Na glutton he be ni

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by jericco1(m): 7:29pm On May 25, 2022
DonMaxxy:

The best food to take is fresh food. Eating out gives you that. But when you cook as a single guy/lady you may keep warming a particular soup until it starts tasting like another soup. Lol

I eat fresh food as well.
I have worked in all types of eateries and I they are mostly unhygienic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by NaijaCars4sale: 7:31pm On May 25, 2022
This largely dependent on the area where you live
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by hardayemmie(m): 7:54pm On May 25, 2022
Alusiizizi:

A question that I've considered many times and to be truthful eating out is a little cheaper per meal than cooking at home.

Home cooking(one meal indomie):
Power-oil; #120
indomie(3 packs): #240
Kerosene/Gas: #50 per meal or thereabout.
Pepper: #50
Maggi: #30
Eggs: #200(2 eggs)
************************* Total: #690

Eating out(one meal indomie at typical food is ready):
indomie(3 packs): #100
Eggs: #200(2 eggs)
************************* Total: #500

Incorrect bro... The best way cooking at home will pay up is buying your food stuffs in bulk. Not in pieces. E.g indomie 1 cartoon for a month.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by gonkin(m): 8:05pm On May 25, 2022
Foodie like me prefers cooking. Everyone loves a full fridge
Re: Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? by Anny4me: 8:05pm On May 25, 2022
U better start going to d market n buy stuffs u need. Or better still ask any of ur sister or gf to help u go to d market so u do d cooking

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

6 Simple Foods Every Nigerian Women Must Know How To Make / Ogbono Soup With Step By Step Pics / Endangered Turtle Butchered By Residents In Lagos. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.