Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. (5890 Views)

My Honda Accord Consumes Too Much Fuel / My 2015 Ford Ranger Truck Consumes Fuel More Than Normal / These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 12:48am On May 25, 2022
Hi Auto professionals.

I must commend the good work being done on this platform. You have saved most of us from unnecessary auto headaches caused by unqualified technicians

I recently bought a 2006 honda civic America spec. The fuel economy isn't encouraging at all.
Approximately 14 MPG is what I get for city drive While 17 MPG for highway drive with AC turned on.

I know for sure that a healthy Honda civic has a better fuel economy but I am in dilemma with the poor fuel economy I am getting with mine.

The following troubleshooting has been done.
1. The exhaust has been checked for leaks but no leak detected.
2. 02 sensors tested ok
3. MAF sensor tested ok
4. Ignition coils tested ok
5. Spark plugs tested but can't ascertain if they are working properly.
The spark plug resistance is about 4000 ohm using a multimeter as against the 5000-6000 ohms for OEM brands

However, I had a P0118 and U0155 codes when the vehicle was scanned. Despite having the cold switch sensor changed the code still persist.

Attached are the scanned results below

These are the noticeable symptoms

**The vehicle occasionally stalls before starting in the morning and during the day when the engine is hot.

**Lately I noticed the battery light is turned on for a short while and D green light blinks when I drive through pond of stagnant water/Rainfall runoff water. Power steering is hard within the short encounter. After few moments normalcy returns.

Moving forward...
1. What else can be done to solve the cold switch sensor problem?
2. What can be done to improve the poor fuel consumption?
3. For 8th generation (2006-2010) Honda civic users. Please what is the average fuel economy (MPG) you attain from your respective vehicles?
4. How can the U0155 code related problem be fixed?

I am tired of this try and error Approach.
Please Auto gurus, Kindly assist me your professional contributions and guidance.

Cc: Luvinhubby
Gazzuzz
Ikenna351

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by Elxandre(m): 1:05am On May 25, 2022
How did you measure the mpg sir?
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:31am On May 25, 2022
beeoohtee:

Hi Auto professionals.

I must commend the good work being done on this platform. You have saved most of us from unnecessary auto headaches caused by unqualified technicians

I recently bought a 2006 honda civic America spec. The fuel economy isn't encouraging at all.
Approximately 14 MPG is what I get for city drive While 17 MPG for highway drive with AC turned on.

I know for sure that a healthy Honda civic has a better fuel economy but I am in dilemma with the poor fuel economy I am getting with mine.

2. 02 sensors tested ok
3. MAF sensor tested ok
The spark plug resistance is about 4000 ohm using a multimeter as against the 5000-6000 ohms for OEM brands

However, I had a P0118 and U0155 codes when the vehicle was scanned. Despite having the cold switch sensor changed the code still persist.

**The vehicle occasionally stalls before starting in the morning and during the day when the engine is hot.

**Lately I noticed the battery light is turned on for a short while and D green light blinks when I drive through pond of stagnant water/Rainfall runoff water. Power steering is hard within the short encounter. After few moments normalcy returns.

Moving forward...
3. For 8th generation (2006-2010) Honda civic users. Please what is the average fuel economy (MPG) you attain from your respective vehicles?

Please Auto gurus, Kindly assist me your professional contributions and guidance.

Gazzuzz
Ikenna351

Trace the temp circuit connections from source to ECU.

If it is fine, replace the Engine ecu.

6 Likes

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 7:18am On May 25, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

Thank you for contribution sir.

Actually, the ECU was recently replaced.

The circuit connection is OK based on diagnostics. The ECU sends a voltage of 5.3V to the circuit

The ECU does not indicate any other fault code. Could it be that the MAF and O2 sensors are faulty?

Could it be that the temperature coolant sensor replaced isn't genuine?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 7:50am On May 25, 2022
Elxandre:
How did you measure the mpg sir?

The measure of fuel economy is quite easy. You can measure as MPG (Miles per gallon) or KMPL (Kilometer per litre).

Pay attention to your instrumental cluster. Some cars speedometer are calibrated in Mile, Kilometer or the combination of both. The bolder speed indicator is the speed unit designed for the car.

Two key parameters are required.
1. Quantity of fuel used in Litre/gallon
2. The distance covered with respect to the quantity of fuel purchased.

For instance.
I covered 75km with 2k fuel equivalent to 12 Litres
1km = 0.62miles
1 litre = 0.26gallon

KMPL/MPG = 75km/12litres = 6.25KMPL = 14.7MPG

3 Likes

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by Treadway: 7:59am On May 25, 2022
beeoohtee:

The measure of fuel economy is quite easy. You can measure as MPG (Miles per gallon) or KMPL (Kilometer per litre).

Pay attention to your instrumental cluster. Some cars speedometer are calibrated in Mile, Kilometer or the combination of both. The bolder speed indicator is the speed unit designed for the car.

For instance.
1km = 0.62miles
1 litre = 0.26gallon

op, the Ect sensor you changed, i'm guessing it is the one visible at the top close to the engine. That is the wrong one. The car has two, there is one at the bottom of the radiator, get that one replaced and you're home free, your engine will start just fine at cold start and your fuel economy will improve. From a honda civic user who also changed the top one thrice but the code kept returning before i eventually discovered the car had another attached to the radiator base. Cheers

Ps: shey na from me you buy Autel MS309 ni..lol. I sell/distribute the product, including to buyers from here on nland. If it was bought/sent from Ibadan, then na me. OK bye

3 Likes

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 8:07am On May 25, 2022
I will look into it ASAP and get back to you on the outcome
Thank you

Treadway:
op, the Ect sensor you changed, i'm guessing it is the one visible at the top close to the engine. That is the wrong one. The car has two, there is one at the bottom of the radiator, get that one replaced and you're home free, your engine will start just fine at cold start and your fuel economy will improve. From a honda civic user who also changed the top one thrice but the code kept returning before i eventually discovered the car had another attached to the radiator base. Cheers
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by Treadway: 8:10am On May 25, 2022
beeoohtee:
Hi Auto professionals.

2. 02 sensors tested ok
3. MAF sensor tested ok

Moving forward...

Gazzuzz
Ikenna351
mpg? like 7-8 litres will do like120km easy highway, not stop and go driving tho,
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 8:21am On May 25, 2022
Treadway:
mpg? like 7-8 litres will do like120km easy highway, not stop and go driving tho,

shocked shocked You get 15kmpl on your car for highway way drive with AC? That's like 35mpg

Boss what car do you drive?
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by Treadway: 9:00am On May 25, 2022
beeoohtee:

shocked shocked You get 15kmpl on your car for highway way drive with AC? That's like 35mpg

Boss what car do you drive?
back when I had a 2010 civic
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by Peppermintflav: 12:31pm On Jun 09, 2022
beeoohtee:

For instance.
1km = 0.62miles
1 litre = 0.26gallon

Your calculation is wrong. 75km/12litres will give you 17.66mpg
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 8:14pm On Jun 09, 2022
I stand to be corrected... But how did you get your 17.66mpg?
Peppermintflav:

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by aieromon(m): 10:50pm On Jun 09, 2022
beeoohtee:

Shortcut to convert L/100km to US mpg
Divide 235 by L/100km

75km=12L
100km=16L

235 divided by 16 gives 14.68 US MPG. Your calculation is spot on✓

1 Like

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by aieromon(m): 10:56pm On Jun 09, 2022
Peppermintflav:

You are referring to the UK MPG which uses a different ratio from the US gallon.

2 Likes

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by Peppermintflav: 11:02pm On Jun 09, 2022
beeoohtee:
https://www.care4air.org/doing-your-bit/how-to-calculate-your-fuel-consumption/
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 5:16am On Jun 10, 2022
Spot on �
aieromon:

You are referring to the UK MPG which uses a different ratio from the US gallon.
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 5:27am On Jun 10, 2022
I knew you were referring to a different conversion ratio. I wanted you to land your point before clarification.
Be informed that US gallon conversion to Litres is different from UK gallon to Litres (otherwise known as Imperial gallon).

@aieromon contribution is absolutely valid 100%

Warm regards
Peppermintflav:

https://www.care4air.org/doing-your-bit/how-to-calculate-your-fuel-consumption/

1 Like

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by MOTIONTECH(m): 10:56am On Jun 10, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

oga gazzuz which kind work you give this man to do….lol
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by Peppermintflav: 3:36pm On Jun 10, 2022
beeoohtee:
I knew you were referring to a different conversion ratio. I wanted you to land your point before clarification.
Be informed that US gallon conversion to Litres is different from UK gallon to Litres (otherwise known as Imperial gallon).

@aieromon contribution is absolutely valid 100%

Warm regards
I know that UK and US gallon is not the same. But when we are talking of car mileage which one do car manufacturers use?
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by emerich(m): 9:40pm On Jun 10, 2022
You guys don't need to work your head anymore for calculations. Just input the Km and and the litres used and it would generate all the values needed
https://www.matthewb.id.au/converter/fuel-efficiency-converter.html

1 Like

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 10:58am On Jun 12, 2022
emerich:
You guys don't need to work your head anymore for calculations. Just input the Km and and the litres used and it would generate all the values needed
https://www.matthewb.id.au/converter/fuel-efficiency-converter.html

A comprehensive shortcut
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 11:05am On Jun 12, 2022
Treadway:

Ps: shey na from me you buy Autel MS309 ni..lol. I sell/distribute the product, including to buyers from here on nland. If it was bought/sent from Ibadan, then na me. OK bye

Thank you for your contributions. I have changed radiator ECT sensor. Fuel economy has slightly improved

1 Like

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 12:18pm On Jun 12, 2022
I wanna appreciate everyone for their contributions
The fuel economy has improved slightly by 20%.
Highway drive fuel economy with AC is now estimated as 21MPG

Maintenance Update
1. ECT radiator sensor has been replaced
2. Thermostat has been installed.

BTW...
The scan code P0455 was detected recently. Attached herewith is the code illustration.
I have replaced the fuel tank cap but the code still persist.

Please AUTO GURUS, what can be done to fix the error code on my 2006 honda civic?

1 Like

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by Treadway: 12:24pm On Jun 12, 2022
beeoohtee:
I wanna appreciate everyone for their contributions
The fuel economy has improved slightly by 20%.
Highway drive fuel economy with AC is now estimated as 21MPG

Maintenance Update
1. ECT radiator sensor has been replaced
2. Thermostat has been installed.
glad to be able to help. It will get even better, esp with the ECT cold start issue out of the way. What engine oil do you use?

Secondly, that evap leak code isn't solely a fuel cap issue. Check to make sure airflow meter is still working well. Also look at the rubber and hoses rom the air filter for cracks. Na either of these two, or both. What I would do is just buy one airflow meter, it's not expensive. Replace, then rescan.

1 Like

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 12:36pm On Jun 12, 2022
Treadway:
glad to be able to help. It will get even better, esp with the ECT cold start issue out of the way. What engine oil do you use?
I use Hardex oil 5W 30
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 12:37pm On Jun 12, 2022
Treadway:
I use Hardex oil 5W 30
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by Treadway: 12:39pm On Jun 12, 2022
beeoohtee:

I use Hardex oil 5W 30
no no no. Hardex is a no no. Pls switch to Mobil 5w30 if you can't afford synthetic 5w20. The Mobil with the black cap. That hardex even the original isn't highly rated, now further compounded by the fact that the fakes are everywhere
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 12:42pm On Jun 12, 2022
Treadway:

Secondly, that evap leak code isn't solely a fuel cap issue. Check to make sure airflow meter is still working well. Also look at the rubber and hoses rom the air filter for cracks. Na either of these two, or both. What I would do is just buy one airflow meter, it's not expensive and replace, then rescan.
MAF sensor is perfectly working based on my diagnostic. The air filter and hoses are void of cracks

1 Like

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 12:51pm On Jun 12, 2022
Treadway:
no no no. Hardex is a no no. Pls switch to Mobil 5w30 if you can't afford synthetic 5w20. The Mobil with the black cap. That hardex even the original isn't highly rated, now further compounded by the fact that the fakes are everywhere
I normally use Mobil super 2000 5w30 for oil maintenance but changed to Hardex lately due to its scarcity in my area based on my mechanic's recommendation.
Though I noticed the Hardex oil dries faster compared to Mobil Super 2000
Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by Treadway: 1:09pm On Jun 12, 2022
beeoohtee:

MAF sensor is perfectly working based on my diagnostic. The air filter and hoses are void of cracks
maybe it 's the evap canister then. I saw it on the same civic I mentioned earlier in the thread. I was already looking for the evap canister to replace, but I was hesitant due to the cost then. I decided to just buy a new air flow meter and change that since it was easy and cheap. Whether it was just per chance o, I don't know, but it cleared the code. The code was 'small' leak though.

1 Like

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by aieromon(m): 10:28pm On Jun 13, 2022
beeoohtee:

BTW...
The scan code P0455 was detected recently. Attached herewith is the code illustration.
I have replaced the fuel tank cap but the code still persist.

Please AUTO GURUS, what can be done to fix the error code on my 2006 honda civic?

Do you top up fuel until it starts pouring out from the pump nozzle?

Clear code and see if it returns.

1 Like

Re: My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. by beeoohtee(m): 10:51pm On Jun 13, 2022
aieromon:

Do you top up fuel until it starts pouring out from the pump nozzle?

Clear code and see if it returns.

No! I haven't bought more than my fuel can contain. I wonder the correlation with P0455 code. Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Carbon Cleaning For Your Engine Is Now Available / How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? / Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.