Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,882 members, 7,810,382 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:05 AM

Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life (19482 Views)

8 Resume Editing Tips That Will Give Your Resume A New Life / Which IT Skill Is Best For Someone That Wants A Career Change. / Update, Job In Vacancies Apply Now, Start New Life In Usa- germantown Hub (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by alizma: 1:45pm On May 25, 2022
Ugaboy:
Hi Nairalander, You don't know how happy I am right now... after hearing a strong confession from my Lil cousin.

We both grew up in Ghetto area at Itire SURULERE, the environment is a off for any developing kid.

Thanks to my parents who took me out after primary education from the LGA.

Last time I visited, he is into drugs, smoking, touting, street fight and jobless.
We only exchange greetings and no
healthy conversation between us.

Recently, he has been calling to keep in touch with me and more.

Today, I called him just to check on a lust brother, the conversation was interesting.
He started telling how guys are catching out in YAHOO (to me this is not the conversation I want, so I played along, to keep cool chat).

After some minutes, he told me he regreted all the wasted opportunity and times he had to become someone. He is 24 years now

...he is a secondary school drop out, his parents push him to learn skill (Spraying Vehicle & Machines) under 2 months he quit, I found job for him, he quit same week...he prefers street money, he is also known as street money and sort of names to justify street life.

Personal I never care to advise him, I kept my cool and mind my business...afterall his elder brother is not different from him.

...back to the conversation, he told me he really wants to return to school, that life is really hard and tough, he said he is a change person now and more.

I need advice from you N'Lers...
should I advise him of acquiring a SKILL(not I.T pls) or SCHOOLING ( I will save money to pay his waec from my end next year)

If skill, pls what kind of good paying SKILL can I suggest for him?...I don't want barbing or vulcanizing or low income SKILL.

Advise him to learn how to repair and fix house AC or Car AC.
He can be schooling and doing this as well.
Also introduce him to well meaning religious group

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by Sterope(f): 1:47pm On May 25, 2022
He can walk away from it. There are people who have walked away from that life forever. It is difficult and statistically the odds are against him but he can do it.

Calibrator:
He is only taking on the appearance of someone who wants better because he is broke.... Let him lay his hand on a little wads of cash and see he revert back to his old lifestyle.

Habits and lifestyle patterns especially rough street vibes coupled with the use of drugs are not things a person can ever walk away from.... Unless they are opportune to leave the country and gain a whole new level of exposure.

This is why I am eternally grateful for the fact that though I am street through and through, I don't drink, smoke or take drugs.... It is quite easy for me to blend in with cultured and posh crowd even at that, one minute everywhere burst, the street vibes will come up to the surface.

Realty can often be disappointing!

Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by SmileDance(f): 1:47pm On May 25, 2022
Let him decide the skill he wants to learn himself, it is not a good idea for you to be the one to suggest skills for him. Then he can make money and go to school on his own.
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by Temmylee01(m): 1:52pm On May 25, 2022
shaggy007:
From all you've said so far, no cyber skill is necessary for him.

What he needs is a handiwork :

alumaco
Mechanic
Carpenter
Tailor

Along those lines.
so he can't learn programming or he can't develop or build website, why must it be those ones you mentioned
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by blingxx(m): 1:57pm On May 25, 2022
MITCHELL96:

It's been in your mind ?

Where do you stay ?

Ogun state .. sango
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by Originalsly: 1:57pm On May 25, 2022
He was already learning a skill.... he quit. Found work for him ... he quit. So far.. he is into quick cash ..... the type that would do stick ups.... not work and wait for a week or month. If he is serious... let him go and do work with the skill he already acquired. ... he needs to first show you commitment period. If he can't be committed to keeping a job... why would you even consider sending him to school? Show commitment... not plans.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by Opak001(m): 1:58pm On May 25, 2022
He should be the one to follow his passion,and your observations of him should be a graud to his decision. Give him room to think it through, because one get emotional and make decisions they don't really want.
What is it he has started for himself to be sure his ready to giveup the street for a hustle that takes time to pay.
Reason am!!!
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by MITCHELL96: 1:59pm On May 25, 2022
blingxx:

Ogun state .. sango

Find somebody that does it in your state, the work is very good and it gives you more connections, if you can do it well, People will always recommend you
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by Basiljoe: 1:59pm On May 25, 2022
First off, God bless you for assisting him.
Skills he can learn are: Mechanic, welding, borehole/water works Engineering, car spraying and painting, driving, aluminum works, and so on.

He can also the university and work thanks to the curriculum of the National open university, Noun, and they offer good courses.

24 is not late for one to get their life in other.

Wishing you both Success.
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by Temmylee01(m): 2:02pm On May 25, 2022
Let him go and learn graphics design or programming languages. By the time he's done he will be cashing out cooly smiley
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by dododawa1: 2:12pm On May 25, 2022
Which side in ITIRE.
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by LyfeJennings(m): 2:14pm On May 25, 2022
Ugaboy:
Hi Nairalander, You don't know how happy I am right now... after hearing a strong confession from my Lil cousin.

We both grew up in Ghetto area at Itire SURULERE, the environment is a off for any developing kid.

Last time I visited, he is into drugs, smoking, touting, street fight and jobless.

Today, I called him just to check on a lust brother, the conversation was interesting.
He started telling how guys are catching out in YAHOO (to me this is not the conversation I want, so I played along, to keep cool chat).

After some minutes, he told me he regreted all the wasted opportunity and times he had to become someone. He is 24 years now

...he is a secondary school drop out, his parents push him to learn skill (Spraying Vehicle & Machines) under 2 months he quit, I found job for him, he quit same week...he prefers street money, he is also known as street money and sort of names to justify street life.

Personal I never care to advise him, I kept my cool and mind my business...afterall his elder brother is not different from him.

...back to the conversation, he told me he really wants to return to school, that life is really hard and tough, he said he is a change person now and more.

should I advise him of acquiring a SKILL(not I.T pls) or SCHOOLING ( I will save money to pay his waec from my end next year)

If skill, pls what kind of good paying SKILL can I suggest for him?...I don't want barbing or vulcanizing or low income SKILL.

How much is WAEC
If indeed he's changed
I can assist with the WAEC money if e no too cost
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by Nostring: 2:28pm On May 25, 2022
Akerele44:
He needs to seek for God forgiveness first... because without God nothing is possible
really
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by Aarenasbaba(m): 2:49pm On May 25, 2022
Ugaboy:

Tell him to learn skills that as to do with construction.... POP, Aluminium roofing etc
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by Cashio(m): 2:52pm On May 25, 2022
GboyegaD:
Never knew Itire was a ghetto until I read your post.

As for your cousin, do not seek or advice him on the skills to learn cos if he isn't interested in the skill you suggest, things may go further south than it is right now. Likewise, there's nothing like a low skill income. A skill is a skill and how well one utilized it and the exposure one gets determined the earnings one can make from it.

Have a more detailed discussion with him on what he wants. If possible, get a therapist to work with him to help him avoid a relapse into his old ways in the face of the difficulties he might face in his way to attaining greatness.
my brother, there are low skill incomes that you can never make a good living from no matter how you package it.
A skill is not a skill. Before you venture to into learning any skill, you must first consider the probability of growing and expanding in that trade.
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by shaggy007(m): 3:06pm On May 25, 2022
Temmylee01:
so he can't learn programming or he can't develop or build website, why must it be those ones you mentioned

I concluded from all the OP said.

He should go and learn programming or develop website.

When he doesn't get the return on investment, don't come here to complain.

You think anyone can just become a successful programmer in this highly competitive field?
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by deavicky(m): 3:09pm On May 25, 2022
Ugaboy:

he no change he is just in trouble.
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by OvertheTop(m): 3:12pm On May 25, 2022
djojo:
How sure are you that he is truly ready for a change, maybe he is broke and he needed your help but knows you wont do it until you see some changes in him.
before you try to put him in any learning process, i will advise you first test him otherwise street guys are difficult to change
if you put him in a learning process and Oga talk to him anyhow you wont be surprise that he might stab the Oga or anyone that makes him angry.
First is to try and rehabilitate him because for him to grow up in the street till 24 nobi beans

The Ops needs to be Very Careful....he is not Hurt in the Process to trying to be Helpful.
The Street No easy o
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by Otunbakayce: 3:22pm On May 25, 2022
Ancecoker:
grin
Okay
kenke!
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by salawustyles(m): 3:25pm On May 25, 2022
Ugaboy:

test him
if you can get a job any paying job for him ask him to keep the job till his waec time then help him also as he's working he can get a skill but working is important so as to give him a sense of purpose ( cos I to was on the street if not for the job I got I would have gone back) so if he can keep a job he is ready
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by Gee64: 3:34pm On May 25, 2022
Let him go back to the spraying job.
Ugaboy:

Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by Kwara1stson: 3:48pm On May 25, 2022
Ancecoker:
grin
Okay
Donkunu. Sumptuous meal.
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by jojothaiv(m): 4:02pm On May 25, 2022
One nigga left the trenches.

And we are happy for him.
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by frozen70(f): 4:05pm On May 25, 2022
Ugaboy:

Register him for waec and put him into lessons to upgrade him and prepare him for waec

Do the same registration for Jamb

If he achieve them, then he is ready and prepared for a change in the society
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by AKWATGOLD1(m): 4:06pm On May 25, 2022
He should learn Foundry or Turner in a local palace.
Ugaboy:

Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by toprealman: 4:22pm On May 25, 2022
Ugaboy:

Just put of curiosity, why not IT?
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by tempusfugit: 4:25pm On May 25, 2022
For now skills, with his street knowledge he can become successful especially lagos, with his street knowledge he has huge potential then
If he really wants a degree, he can sponsor himself through the skills he learnt
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by Ephemmm: 4:55pm On May 25, 2022
Ugaboy:

Continue keeping calm until you are sure of his commitment towards a particular vocation or educational line. He might be doing this to gain your sympathy; who knows?

As for me, I want to see your passion towards the attainment of your goal before I could offer my little help.
Re: Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life by GboyegaD(m): 5:10pm On May 25, 2022
Cashio:
my brother, there are low skill incomes that you can never make a good living from no matter how you package it.
A skill is not a skill. Before you venture to into learning any skill, you must first consider the probability of growing and expanding in that trade.

I guess we see things differently. Money will always come and one just has to be good at what one does with some level of exposure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace / Moment A Rescue Worker "Cried" During Training (video) / Civil Defence Officers Revolt Over Deduction Of N5,000 From Their Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.