Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,932 members, 7,952,755 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:18 PM

Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad (8598 Views)

Why Nigeria Is Better Than The US - US-Based Nigerian Gives Reasons / Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria Is Better Than Canada / Despite Thriving Businesses, Aba Remains A Pigsty - Premium Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by ttmacoy: 3:26pm On Jun 10, 2022
no it's not, that's a big lie.

Also to compare cost you need to compare against income not just absolute numbers. Someone on minimum wage in the UK can pay rent/mortgage, yes not a huge luxury house but still better than the house someone on minimum wage in Nigeria can afford. They can still go on vacation annually, the Nigerian on minimum wage cannot even think of that, and I can go on but my point is the cost has to be adjusted to the income not just comparing this cost x in this country and y in that country hence tat country is cheaper. That's a ridiculous way to compare.

staga:

There are pros and cons to every side. Abroad, you can easily get financing for anything you want to buy. That in Nigeria is virtually non-existent, except for those working in high-end MDAs such as AMCON or PTDF.

But the cost of living abroad is insane. BTW, Nigeria is the 3rd cheapest country to live in.
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by PreetyAngel4U: 4:42pm On Jun 10, 2022
EkelediliBuhari:

Yes Some factories pay more than 7k per day....

if you add light, water and transportation bills, the Uk still trumps nigeria bruh.

Overall living expenses abroad is over the roof compared to Nigeria.

Finally be informed that finding a job that pays above 15k per anum in the UK is a herculean task.

Where are these factories? How many people get employment in such? Even the bricklayers you mentioned, do they earn that much? Then why are graduates crying of joblessness? Everyone should be working in factories and as bricklayers then.
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by PreetyAngel4U: 4:54pm On Jun 10, 2022
EkelediliBuhari:

I stuck to minimum wage intentionally

If we compare people with higher wages they will still be par…

I presently take home N18k daily spread over 30days

Some people earn over 50k to 100k daily

A friend just got a remote job in Nigeria to earn £4K monthly after tax

So let’s not open that chapter cos the argument go too much.

Introduce people to these places Na...
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by HOKIM(m): 6:42pm On Jun 10, 2022
PreetyAngel4U:

Introduce people to these places Na...

Lol...He will do that when BAT hands stops shaking...lol
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by EkelediliBuhari: 6:50pm On Jun 10, 2022
PreetyAngel4U:

Where are these factories? How many people get employment in such? Even the bricklayers you mentioned, do they earn that much? Then why are graduates crying of joblessness? Everyone should be working in factories and as bricklayers then.

Visit any construction site tomorrow

Meanwhile are you ready to do bricklayer job? Even if they pay 10k a day will you be willing to answer bricklayer?
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by Favor99(m): 3:23am On Jun 11, 2022
Gerrard59:

Nigeria is on its way to being the Fulani economic capital of the world. No sane black person should look up to Nigeria for upliftment of the black race. Even South Africans do not look towards African Americans, why should someone in Brazil do the same?

All man for himself.
Lol my guy, Nigeria only has 1 more year of Buhari. It’s not enough time to become the Fulani capital of the world.

Nigeria holds a very big position. All the powerful countries in the world have large economies and large populations, USA, Russia, China, European Union as a whole, India.

It just takes love and unity to solve our problems, believe me.

For example if a leader loves his people, he won’t steal to the point of the country being a 3rd world country.

If the average Nigerian loved his fellow Nigerian regardless of ethnic, religion, gender, regardless of whether their abroad or what country they grew up, we would be United, be a force and hold our politicians accountable, other nations would not dare the audacious racism and disrespect against us.
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by Favor99(m): 3:38am On Jun 11, 2022
HOKIM:

I know of an American lady, married a Nigerian guy, they met online, she sold all she had(thank God ,she didn't quit her job) to relocate to naija, so she can live with her husband , very lovely couple, they started a business (transport and hotel packages for folks visiting naija) but when she saw the reality of Africa (she still loves Africa) , omo, she run go back yankee to file for her husband to come meet her,she was thankful she Didn't quit her job... they just started the process of their Application though as she went back in April but sadly that is the fate of many Abroad, who has gotten use to the privileges, as much as racism is very terrible and has it effects but Africa get hin own...I know a guy in the USA, went down to Africa to start a business, he bought a land , fought legal battle in that land, was physically assaulted on several occasions, had to pay police, SSS etc to do their jobs, the Land in question was sold to him and they also sold the land to 5 other persons... Family sef dey fight ontop the land say na one rebel for the Land dey sell am .... nobody tell the guy, hin carry what was left of his life and went back to the states, Abu na fashion designer wey come from Germany to start business for naija , lack of electricity and many levies shut the business Down.. omo, stories plenty!
Oh no, that’s very sad. Fortunately all is well and she kept her job and was able to relocate back to U.S with her husband.

Yea it’s tough what happened to the guy that bought the land and was swindled and deceived. I’m not sure where Nigeria went wrong. It had a lot of promise and success (with the exception of the Civil War)from the 60’s through the 80’s.

We just need the right leader and the right president. But one tree doesn’t make a forest. We need something more than just a good President.

We need a lot of change.
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by gimakon2(m): 6:21am On Jun 11, 2022
No sense theory
Go and look up travel advice for Nigeria. You go understand..

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by HOKIM(m): 12:30am On Jun 12, 2022
Favor99:

Oh no, that’s very sad. Fortunately all is well and she kept her job and was able to relocate back to U.S with her husband.

Yea it’s tough what happened to the guy that bought the land and was swindled and deceived. I’m not sure where Nigeria went wrong. It had a lot of promise and success (with the exception of the Civil War)from the 60’s through the 80’s.

We just need the right leader and the right president. But one tree doesn’t make a forest. We need something more than just a good President.

We need a lot of change.

My brother, with my time abroad , I have seen that we have a Loooonnnnggggg way to go... way still far, and unfortunately we might not get it right anytime soon, as you see on tv, money controls the narrative and they have weaponized poverty and has unleashed Terror...
The wife is back in the USA but husband still dey naija na, as his application is still in process... The other man went back to Germo, never to go back to Naija...
The ease and process of doing business in naija na long story...
It's crazy, I wish things was better but unfortunately not!!
No-one likes to leave their homeland, their father's land to go live in a strange land... if naija good, I for dey there dey hustle..
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by HOKIM(m): 12:34am On Jun 12, 2022
gimakon2:
No sense theory
Go and look up travel advice for Nigeria. You go understand..

Wetin sup,bros?? embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by cooooooks(m): 3:43pm On Jun 12, 2022
Rice is more expensive in Nigeria.

I buy 8 kg bag of rice for $12 or $10 (on sale, normal price is $16).

A 10 kg bag of potatoes is $5 but I usually get it $2.5 on sale. (You can use potatoes to do poundo)

Official $1 = N370 (CAD).
Black $1 = N450.
How much is a 25 kg bag of rice?
(25/8 )*12 = $ 37.5
This is N17,000 at black market rate and N14,000 at official rates.
On Jumia, 25kg of parboiled Mama's Pride rice is N16,000.

Stop lying to people.

Or is it plantain? 4 fingers of plantain is ~ $1.50. Can you buy 4 fingers of big plantain for N600?

https://www./mamas-pride-nigerian-parboiled-rice-25kg-84343924.html

staga:

There are pros and cons to every side. Abroad, you can easily get financing for anything you want to buy. That in Nigeria is virtually non-existent, except for those working in high-end MDAs such as AMCON or PTDF.

But the cost of living abroad is insane. BTW, Nigeria is the 3rd cheapest country to live in.
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by cooooooks(m): 3:47pm On Jun 12, 2022
Nigeria is not even cheap.

How can Titus from Morocco here be N 600?? ?

Or is it rice? Or plantain? Butter? Cost of cars? How can 29 year old Toyota Corolla be selling for N2 million plus??

exmaysn12000:

I just taya for you people. What do you mean my cheapest to live, when majority of the citizens earn below the minimum wage (30,000 naira, less than 80$) in a month.

So what's the point of the 'cheap' when you can't afford the basic things of life.

Is it not better to live in a country that is 'not cheap' but you can afford the basic things of life, living off on their minimum wage and most importantly, eat 3 square meal?

You have no point.
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by kasim155: 1:39am On Jun 13, 2022
ednut1:
you are just consoling yourself with silly comparisons. Factory work in Nigeria where there is no compensation for injury or loss of limbs, no health benefits, no free time for one self. Is what you are comparing with abroad lmao. Can a factory worker in Nigeria even afford a car Meanwhile abroad one month salary of same factory work can buy a 2007 Corolla for example.

Most factory workers that are been paid 50k - 70k in a month that is what someone here is saying factory workers are paid 7 -10k on a daily basic. Please where did he get he factory from?

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by PreetyAngel4U: 1:50pm On Jun 14, 2022
EkelediliBuhari:

Visit any construction site tomorrow

Meanwhile are you ready to do bricklayer job? Even if they pay 10k a day will you be willing to answer bricklayer?

If energy permits me and I have nothing else to feed on, why not? Will they accept female graduates? People will jump on this opportunity if they get the information. I definitely will not pay any attention to the people who will call me 'bricklayer' if I find myself in that line of job. Will they feed me or provide for me in this time and age? If I beg them for 10k, will they give it to me? There's dignity in labour. I'll rather work to eat than do immoral or criminal activities. jessicamediaopinions.com
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by EkelediliBuhari: 10:33pm On Jun 14, 2022
PreetyAngel4U:

If energy permits me and I have nothing else to feed on, why not? Will they accept female graduates? People will jump on this opportunity if they get the information. I definitely will not pay any attention to the people who will call me 'bricklayer' if I find myself in that line of job. Will they feed me or provide for me in this time and age? If I beg them for 10k, will they give it to me? There's dignity in labour. I'll rather work to eat than do immoral or criminal activities. jessicamediaopinions.com

Visit any construction site tomorrow. Just make a friendly enquiry and you will realize Nigerians would rather spend over N3m to travel to the Uk to clean the Asses of its elderly and sick citizens for GBP9/hr (tax inclusive) than break their backs for a day’s labor here in Nigeria

I hear they now pay per block laid… meaning you can earn as much as you can lay… now doesn’t hard work pay??

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by gforce5: 3:08pm On Jun 15, 2022
You are right lol. I was just being generous. I was shocked as to how a human being can compare the standard of living in Nigeria to the standard of living in the west. The ignorance and delusion of many people in this country is astounding! A country that cannot even give it itself 24 hours electricity despite being the biggest energy producer in Africa! A country that cannot brag about having decent roads. Even the areas where the rich live are filled with potholes and gutter! A country where minimum wage is N30K and many Governors cannot even pay that! Yet that clown compared it to the UK where minimum wage is 5 pounds per hour! cheesy The same UK where a student can afford to travel to abroad if he/she saves good money from part-time work. Here, you have adults that cannot even afford to travel within their own country! Too many delusional people on this forum.
HOKIM:

He had a bad experience abroad ke??
Man was denied visa, all he could do was come here to type jaga-jaga.... how anyone would compare the standard of life abroad to Living in Nigeria is even amazing and the fellow should get their head checked, and the thought that there are folks even affirming his claim is even more worrying... even Nigerian leaders use abroad as a benchmark on how good standards of living should be, talk more of minions ... lol . This is the most incredible thing I have seen all morning..

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jun 15, 2022
justwise:
[/b]

No full time job in the UK pays as little as 15K a year, that is just for part time jobs. finding a job that pays 15k a year is very very easy
I heard 70% of uk citizens live below 50k per annum....it got my mind boggling
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by HOKIM(m): 1:11pm On Jun 16, 2022
gforce5:
You are right lol. I was just being generous. I was shocked as to how a human being can compare the standard of living in Nigeria to the standard of living in the west. The ignorance and delusion of many people in this country is astounding! A country that cannot even give it itself 24 hours electricity despite being the biggest energy producer in Africa! A country that cannot brag about having decent roads. Even the areas where the rich live are filled with potholes and gutter! A country where minimum wage is N30K and many Governors cannot even pay that! Yet that clown compared it to the UK where minimum wage is 5 pounds per hour! cheesy The same UK where a student can afford to travel to abroad if he/she saves good money from part-time work. Here, you have adults that cannot even afford to travel within their own country! Too many delusional people on this forum.

Goodmorning!! Two sets of folks I try to avoid on here:
The Abroad is Hell, dont come!
The Why are people running ?? Nigeria is better!
For some reason, I dont get the objective still... sometimes I see it as comic relief but fairly recently it has started to become a worrying trend...
If Nigeria was doing good, Nobody will LEAVE or atleast only a few people will push to leave... a person earning minimum wage CANNOT rent a comfortable place ..
Most of the folks that keep pushing the narrative of Nigeria is better than abroad na "mommy thank you " personnels.
If you have a good job in Naija and want to stay that's fine and good but the situation is not the reality of those abroad.
For me and my house, NEVER AGAIN!
NEVER will be family queue up in an Embassy in a bid to get a visa to travel ANYWHERE while getting rudely talked to by embassy officials and security guards on money wey we dey pay just so we can visit their country for visit or anywise..
Never again , are we living in a "Father land" that discriminates against us in our own country and gives preference to Foreigners
Never again are we going to rejoice at the Government for giving us the very basics like Electricity, good road and transportation network.
Omo, story plenty..

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by HOKIM(m): 1:15pm On Jun 16, 2022
kasim155:

Most factory workers that are been paid 50k - 70k in a month that is what someone here is saying factory workers are paid 7 -10k on a daily basic. Please where did he get he factory from?
Lies, most factory workers are paid between 20,000 - 40000 .. I would know because until fairly recently I worked in one as a skilled worker (welder) and pay was #1500 daily and this is as recent as 2020 and i doubt if there has been any changes..
I too suffer for that country, Never again
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by kasim155: 1:26pm On Jun 16, 2022
HOKIM:

Lies, most factory workers are paid between 20,000 - 40000 .. I would know because until fairly recently I worked in one as a skilled worker (welder) and pay was #1500 daily and this is as recent as 2020 and i doubt if there has been any changes..
I too suffer for that country, Never again

Why are u quoting me wrongly. Some one said that factory workers are being paid like 7000 per day of which I know that those working in factory here in Nigeria are being paid maximum of 50k to 70, while some are been paid less than. You can go through all the comments and see why I responded with mine
Thank u

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by HOKIM(m): 1:46pm On Jun 16, 2022
kasim155:

Why are u quoting me wrongly. Some one said that factory workers are being paid like 7000 per day of which I know that those working in factory here in Nigeria are being paid maximum of 50k to 70, while some are been paid less than. You can go through all the comments and see why I responded with mine
Thank u

I didn't mean to come out rude..that wasn't my intention, I'm sorry...
I didn't quote you wrong..I was saying, even 70k is far too much..there is hardly any factory worker that earns that high.. they will have to be like a professional machine operator with an actual Degree to earn that much.. that is how bad it is...
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by kasim155: 2:16pm On Jun 16, 2022
HOKIM:

I didn't mean to come out rude..that wasn't my intention, I'm sorry...
I didn't quote you wrong..I was saying, even 70k is far too much..there is hardly any factory worker that earns that high.. they will have to be like a professional machine operator with an actual Degree to earn that much.. that is how bad it is...

Ok bro. This country is mess up, under paying workers is now a norm in our society. Na to Japa remain oooo

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by HOKIM(m): 2:23pm On Jun 16, 2022
kasim155:

Ok bro. This country is mess up, under paying workers is now a norm in our society. Na to Japa remain oooo
Omo nor waste time oo
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by kasim155: 2:32pm On Jun 16, 2022
HOKIM:

Omo nor waste time oo

Yes oooo, I dey on the matter to move oooo

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by HOKIM(m): 3:07pm On Jun 16, 2022
kasim155:

Yes oooo, I dey on the matter to move oooo

Omo, I bless God for the day , I left that country.... na Caribbean we dey like this..

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by kasim155: 3:13pm On Jun 16, 2022
HOKIM:

Omo, I bless God for the day , I left that country.... na Caribbean we dey like this..

Whaooo Congrats bro, I go thank Baba God too the day I go japa oooo.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 16, 2022
Guys please What is the cheapest and risk free way to Japa out of this country?
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by EkelediliBuhari: 6:58pm On Jun 17, 2022
Excell2:
Guys please What is the cheapest and risk free way to Japa out of this country?

Onwu
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by DBestDoc(f): 12:36pm On Oct 01, 2022
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by Backpedal: 9:18pm On Oct 01, 2022
HOKIM:

Goodmorning!! Two sets of folks I try to avoid on here:
The Abroad is Hell, dont come!
The Why are people running ?? Nigeria is better!
For some reason, I dont get the objective still... sometimes I see it as comic relief but fairly recently it has started to become a worrying trend...
If Nigeria was doing good, Nobody will LEAVE or atleast only a few people will push to leave... a person earning minimum wage CANNOT rent a comfortable place ..
Most of the folks that keep pushing the narrative of Nigeria is better than abroad na "mommy thank you " personnels.
If you have a good job in Naija and want to stay that's fine and good but the situation is not the reality of those abroad.
For me and my house, NEVER AGAIN!
NEVER will be family queue up in an Embassy in a bid to get a visa to travel ANYWHERE while getting rudely talked to by embassy officials and security guards on money wey we dey pay just so we can visit their country for visit or anywise..
Never again , are we living in a "Father land" that discriminates against us in our own country and gives preference to Foreigners
Never again are we going to rejoice at the Government for giving us the very basics like Electricity, good road and transportation network.
Omo, story plenty..

I feel you.
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by northbird: 1:02am On Oct 02, 2022
EkelediliBuhari:

Yes Some factories pay more than 7k per day....

if you add light, water and transportation bills, the Uk still trumps nigeria bruh.

Overall living expenses abroad is over the roof compared to Nigeria.

Finally be informed that finding a job that pays above 15k per anum in the UK is a herculean task.

That's not true. Mention one factory in Nigeria that's pays its casual staff 7k daily..
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by Sladem05: 10:23am On Sep 26, 2023
EkelediliBuhari:
“Guy no dey dull, try apply and come before them change travel policy“

This is the what I wake up to every other day. Friends and colleagues never fail to “educate” me on the privileges of relocating abroad. Well without much ado I’d quickly dissect the earning power viz a viz spending power of a Nigerian based against a foreign based.

UK Vs Nigeria Case study

Earning power
Average daily earning in the UK is 9pounds per hour. By Visa rules (student visa Tier 4) you can work max 20hrs weekly, that translates to 720pounds per month. Let’s consider side hustles and other “illegal” or mildly put, unconventional jobs considering that they rip you off and pay you less. You can jack up your earnings to GBP1,600 per month after tax (on a good month).

- Average Earning in Nigeria for a skilled Brick layer is N4,500 daily or N108,000. Considering they work on Saturdays.
- Average earning for factory workers is N7-10k daily depending on company and location. That is N168 – N200k per month.
- Both simulations above are for menial jobs in Nigeria also considering they are not taxed… at least not directly.

Expenses/ Spending Power
To avoid ambiguity and extensive writeup, I will consider only Food and Rent
Food
UK – Average cost of a meal in the restaurant in UK is 10pounds that’s 20pounds a day for 2 meals.
UK – Average cost of condos outside the main cities i.e. London, is 500pounds a month.
These account for over 1,000pounds a month. That’s 62% of your monthly income

https://www.nairaland.com/7164689/nigerian-man-speaks-high-rent

Nigeria – A single meal in can go as low as N300-N500 that’s say N1,500 a day for 3 square meals
Nigeria – Average cost of a self-contained in main cities is N400k or N33,500 per month.
These account for about N65,000 a month. That’s 60% of the brick layers income or 38% of the factory worker’s monthly income

Consider other issues,
Insecurity in the Nigeria Translates to Discrimination in the UK
Bad government policies in Nigeria translates to Woke gay rights and other vices in the UK.
Poor and harsh working conditions in Nigeria?? Check the link below for abroad based;
https://www.nairaland.com/7141856/abroad-life-not-easy-man

Overall, I think there are better opportunities in Nigeria, if you have heart. Also, we need to be intentional about a better country.

In the 18th and Early 19th centuries the US and UK were worse off than Nigeria. Religion and social discrimination was at its peak.

We can get there.

Modified:
Further references -
Taxi hailing app drivers earns average of 10k after expenses daily.

Let’s not talk about taxes.. do you pay property tax, gift tax or national insurance contributions. All these are compulsory abroad…

You must be absolutely nuts to believe than Nigeria can offer a similar quality of life and more opportunities. Nigeria cannot even offer basic amenities to its own citizens such as running water, electricity and good roads. The country is a failure

“In the 18th and Early 19th centuries the US and UK were worse off than Nigeria. Religion and social discrimination was at its peak”

Your comparison of Modern Nigeria to 18th/19th century US/UK proves that Nigeria and Africa as a whole is centuries behind the rest of the world when it comes to development,technology and modernity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Finds Dead Eagle With GPS Device, Show All Countries It Visited In 1year(Pic / BVN: Central Bank Sets Up Centre In South Africa / First Hotel In Mars By Elon Musk Is Set To Open Soon At $5 Million Per Night (SE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.