Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,619 members, 7,823,711 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. (27875 Views)

The Dilemma Of A Family man with mouth to Feed And Unpaid Bills / Ernst&young Graduate Trainee 2018 / Sacked By Konga, Customer Service Rep Gets 30 Job Offers On Twitter In 24 Hours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by northbird: 1:21pm On May 26, 2022
philexcel:

Any experience with bank. I just got an offer as a renewable contract staff ( not marketing) job in one of the leading bank. share your experience with me

Take it if that's the only thing you have going for you.
The problem with people who regret being in the banking sector is they get carried away by the bubble of the work environment.

3 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Ayinke93(f): 1:23pm On May 26, 2022
philexcel:

Any experience with bank. I just got an offer as a renewable contract staff ( not marketing) job in one of the leading bank. share your experience with me

Run! No prospects for contract staff in banks. Did that nonsense for 26 months and I won’t advice my enemy to do the same.

5 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by kerry57: 1:23pm On May 26, 2022
Guy, no company on that list will beat KPMG for me

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Microwhy: 1:25pm On May 26, 2022
evuna:
My sister is 26 years and a graduate of Statistics from a federal university in the South East. There is an issue, more like a blessing. She had been writing aptitude tests since and failing but something remarkable is happening this year. She has been passing all the graduate trainee tests and interviews this year. She is at the final stage of Cerdar group, Stanbic, Meristem and Oilserv graduate trainee program. Just waiting for offer letters. She got an offer into Wema bank graduate trainee but rejected it because of 2 years bond. She is currently in Gt Bank graduate training school.

The issue is that KPMG just invited her for their test which is physical on Saturday. The Gt bank program runs from Monday-Saturday. I have been trying so hard to convince her to take take permission from the tutors at Gtb and go to write the KPMG test. She refused that she does not like Accounting as she read Statistics but she was open to it before this year and had been writing tests of different audit firms. I prefer KPMG to Stanbic and GT and want her to give it a shot.

She is 26 and this is her last chance at any graduate trainee program. Please what do you guys think? She is confused too.

KPMG ( yet to write the test)
GTB ( in training school already)
Meristem ( Waiting for offer letter)
Stanbic ( Waiting for offer letter)

Which among the above listed is the better choice for a graduate of statistics and is the KPMG test worth taking the risk. Please I need opinions from Nairalanders as I told her to allow me take my time to think about it.

Mods, please push to front page for more experienced professionals to help us. Thanks
Contact @SirJarus on twitter..
He is well in the know of which and which is not ...
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Miarose: 1:26pm On May 26, 2022
Please let her go for KPMG. I am begging you.. Believe me... I am a veteran in the corporate world and the advantage of big 4 experience cannot be overemphasised. That experience will count for her all over the world. Big 4 before banks pls.
evuna:
My sister is 26 years and a graduate of Statistics from a federal university in the South East. There is an issue, more like a blessing. She had been writing aptitude tests since and failing but something remarkable is happening this year. She has been passing all the graduate trainee tests and interviews this year. She is at the final stage of Cerdar group, Stanbic, Meristem and Oilserv graduate trainee program. Just waiting for offer letters. She got an offer into Wema bank graduate trainee but rejected it because of 2 years bond. She is currently in Gt Bank graduate training school.

The issue is that KPMG just invited her for their test which is physical on Saturday. The Gt bank program runs from Monday-Saturday. I have been trying so hard to convince her to take take permission from the tutors at Gtb and go to write the KPMG test. She refused that she does not like Accounting as she read Statistics but she was open to it before this year and had been writing tests of different audit firms. I prefer KPMG to Stanbic and GT and want her to give it a shot.

She is 26 and this is her last chance at any graduate trainee program. Please what do you guys think? She is confused too.

Which among the above listed is the better choice for a graduate of statistics and is the KPMG test worth taking the risk. Please I need opinions from Nairalanders as I told her to allow me take my time to think about it.

Mods, please push to front page for more experienced professionals to help us. Thanks

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by slimprinx(m): 1:27pm On May 26, 2022
Let her please look into the KPMG stuff, for i know she do greatly enjoy it when it matures...but GTB is kool followed by Stanbic....But for me let her go for the KPMG and if its successful she should dive the JOB

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by GboyegaD(m): 1:29pm On May 26, 2022
Skipping her training for KPMG test is a risk worth it over and over again.

5 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Pheelz2020(m): 1:30pm On May 26, 2022
she should stay with GTB

and recommend others for kpmg,stanbi and merstem ..

evuna:

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Lepon02: 1:30pm On May 26, 2022
evuna:

Accept the offer from Meristem and take the KPMG test.

If she progresses to the final stage and get an offer from KPMG, quit Merristem and join KPMG!

5 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by FashionMarket: 1:31pm On May 26, 2022
All offers look promising, she should just pray for God to direct her

3 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by AkanjiNaira: 1:33pm On May 26, 2022
Your best option there is KPMG no doubt and since this is still pending you can go for the next best which is Stanbic pending when KPMG crystallized.

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Autchhomme: 1:36pm On May 26, 2022
evuna:

Let her go for KPMG, banks are worst place for her to work in. Las las, she must be a marketer before reaching the top.

3 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Kerefi: 1:36pm On May 26, 2022
Let me spill the beans. I think the major reason she does not like KPMG is because of what I passed through while writing my ICAN. She is so terrified of it but I believe she is brilliant and can do it.

For those saying she is yet to get the Stanbic and Meristem she did the final interview and she is 80% sure of getting both.

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by femieoke: 1:37pm On May 26, 2022
KPMG test is a must, she must give it her best shot. As an Ex Big-4, having them on your CV prepares you for the global market, also her career path will be well defined.

However, the GT Bank job is a bird at hand and must also be well protected as well. I pray God guide her in making the best option.

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by airsaylongcome: 1:37pm On May 26, 2022
Jalaw:
Another show off thread.
In the other thread, the OP boasted of earning 500k monthly and want to know if he is rich.

Wetin person no go see!

500k wey no reach the lowest entry-level pay for US IT remote o

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Socratiz: 1:38pm On May 26, 2022
KPMG has several other units apart from accounting and taxation. They are into IT and Risk Advisory. You will be surprised to know that there are lawyers working with KPMG.

Th Big Four do more than accounting so she can choose other units.

I advise she goes for KPMG unless she decides otherwise.

Please don't compare KPMG with banking job

6 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Petshopng: 1:39pm On May 26, 2022
All offers look good
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by bolousadex: 1:39pm On May 26, 2022
tommykiwi:
Bank job should be out of the list for, so let her make her own decision.

Wish her all the best.

banking job is amazing. Stop discouraging people. I have been a banker for about a Decade and I am doing very well. If you don't want to be marketer or an operator, the onus lies on you to study relevant courses or certifications so you can move to a more specialized department. There are more than 30 departments in a bank. I am in Finance, and been a banker for almost a decade now. Having worked in two banks, I am doing close to 1.6m/month with many perks. When you find yourself working in a bank, aspire to be a banker and not a bank worker....my two cents

8 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Onyeziokwu(m): 1:40pm On May 26, 2022
evuna:

Let her go for KPMG

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by IamAsiri: 1:43pm On May 26, 2022
Ayinke93:

Run! No prospects for contract staff in banks. Did that nonsense for 26 months and I won’t advice my enemy to do the same.

He can do the same nonsense for about a year or a year and a half while looking out for and working towards better opportunities instead of just sitting at home looking for those opportunities.

6 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by bigpicture001: 1:45pm On May 26, 2022
tommykiwi:
Bank job should be out of the list for, so let her make her own decision.

Wish her all the best.

Why do u guyz like to talk trash about bank job... For crying out loud.. GTb is the. Best paying bank at 180k for gradaute..

Again.. no Saturday work, all fed holidays observed.. good working environment, better skin due to A. c..getting adequate leave.. just 10hrs daily job.very good and reliable loan granting system. And very well organised promotion system..

Una. Wey no dey work for. Bank.. how far..?

5 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by GloriousGbola: 1:47pm On May 26, 2022
Big four companies are a much more fantastic career opportunity than banks.

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by sonso: 1:47pm On May 26, 2022
evuna:

KPMG If she passes the exam. Let her try accountancy. She will thank you for ever. After KPMG she companies will crawl to her to work for them. Good luck to her.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by koxi: 1:50pm On May 26, 2022
evuna:

By all means, KPMG!!
It’s an international audit firm and their pay, well, simply put, is like ‘blood money’. They PAY WELL!!
Let her find a way to get there - it is absolutely worth it. But here’s the catch…KPMG is HIGHLY COMPETITIVE. Having a 2.1 is in no way a guarantee, it’s just a propeller. They give preference to 1st class and SOUND 2.1 graduates but be rest assured that once you’re hired, like they say here on nairaland, heaven don pick your call o!
I’m speaking from experience - trust me!

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by GUNITGuy: 1:50pm On May 26, 2022
Wahala for who no get job for this nairaland

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by NG2CA: 1:51pm On May 26, 2022
evuna:

The issue is that KPMG just invited her for their test which is physical on Saturday. The Gt bank program runs from Monday-Saturday. I have been trying so hard to convince her to take take permission from the tutors at Gtb and go to write the KPMG test. She refused that she does not like Accounting as she read Statistics but she was open to it before this year and had been writing tests of different audit firms. I prefer KPMG to Stanbic and GT and want her to give it a shot...

As a graduate of Mathematics, KPMG alumnus and a former sworn hater of anything accounting, I would advise her to make out time to attend the KPMG test. Be sure to make a screenshot of this comment and show it to her in 4 years. She'd be forever grateful.

Of the options/potential options available to her, KPMG gives her the best shot at escaping poverty and/or enhancing her chances of migrating abroad.

The ultimate choice is hers!

7 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Yimmicks: 1:51pm On May 26, 2022
I suggest she finds a way to go and write the KPMG test.. call in sick on the day or think of something to tell GTB..
If I were to advise her though, stanbic pays graduate trainees way higher than GTB and others. Also, graduate trainees in stanbic start off as assitant banking officers (ABO) and all things being equal are promoted to the BO (banking officer) grade after 2 years regardless of your unit, also, most placements are in Lagos. On the other hand, except GT has changed their modus operandi, they could post you outside lagos which might limit career growth in a way. Also, they enter from a lower grade ETs (executive trainees) and might not be promoted for years as it comes mostly from your team where many people have been there sef without promotion for years. I don't know so much about Meristem but given their line of business, she's likely to have a better career path relative to banks.
Summarily, bank jobs may not give you a well-defined career path so to speak especially when you are not sure of your placement as a graduate trainee. An institution such as KPMG offers you that opportunity to have a career path hence its easy to develop expertise, create a niche for yourself and be better placed to change jobs in the future. Banking on the other hand can limit you in terms of the ability to change jobs and industry. More importantly is the international recognition, for instance, there is now a new wave of people in the big 4s (KPMG, PWC, EY and Deloitte) taking on roles in other countries like UK and Ireland.
Please advise her to think beyond now or speak with someone who knows better in the field. some decisions are very crucial and years down the line, she doesnt want to look back and wish her choice was differnet. similarly, i know someone who was offered nursing but chose biochemistry because according to him/her nurses are "slaves to doctor", an uninformed ideology which could have been avoided if he/she had good mentorship. However, the same person is back in nursing school after finishing biochemistry.
If she must pick banking, stanbic is better please.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Nauttyprof(m): 1:52pm On May 26, 2022
Naiira:
The ear that refuses advice will go off with the head when it is cut off…

Tell her to give KPMG a try.

The elders have spoken

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Nobody: 1:55pm On May 26, 2022
Donbazooka:
She is lucky. Country wey hard like this... Person dey get multiple options...
She is connected.Dont let the op deceive you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview / My Sister Might Have Been Brainwashed By GNLD / Nasims Dashboard Updated For Npower Batch C Under Stream 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.