Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music (2663 Views)

2015 Top 20 Richest Nigerian Musicians, See Their Net Worth / Where Are These Nigerian Musicians? (Pictures) / Old Nigerian Musicians Vs Recent Ones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 04, 2005
Nigerian musicians don't take the time to develop themselves well musically. They prefer to rely on their innate ability to sing. While some people may see nothing wrong with this, it explains why a lot of Nigeria muscians don't last in the "spot light".

No doubt we have a lot of talented musicians but but how many of these guys give time to study music in oder to make their music better. Music is an art that must be mastered!! The only reason Femi Kuti is all over the world is beacause he studied music to "hone" his natural talent.

What do you think?
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by c0dec(m): 2:31pm On Jul 05, 2005
right on the money. that's why it's hard for nigeria to establish a real musical identity (except for afro juju smiley)

BTW, i heard the famous DARE studied music.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by jogego(m): 3:06pm On Jul 05, 2005
Did 2Pac study music, did micheal Jackson study music, did freddy Jackson study music, did Luther study music, did Sade study music

The truth is that in Nigeria, knowing someone gets you into the studio to cut a record deal. Mediocrity reigns in Nigeria not talent. If the talent is the and a good management team, then the sky is the limit. When people consider afrojuju to be music, it just goes to show what am talking about. After the record in 1988 or s other afrojuju record has been released?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by diakim(m): 4:41pm On Jul 05, 2005
Most Nigerian musicians are in it for the money.

They lack the passion that will drive them to be more creative or imaginative. Just because you have a good voice or inherited some old instruments from your progenitors does not automatically confers on you the skills of a talented musician.

Most of them are one track or one album stars. After that, they fade away; you will ever heard of them again. Where are the much celebrated Nigerian musicians of yesteryears? They've all gone into oblivion.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 06, 2005
Jogego u are not exactly correct in saying that the likes of Michael Jackson and co did not study music. Well I want to prove you wrong. They all did. Those people may not have gone through "formal" music education in the four corners of a class room, they got trained by professionals to become better at what they do.

The problem with naija is quick money syndrome like Diakim rightly said. Right now musicians just gather folk songs like " Bata so mi were were" and convert them to hip-hop and call it music!!

Mariah Carey has a great voice, but she constantly works on herself and her music.
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by delarontus(f): 12:39pm On Jul 06, 2005
Talking about 'bata somi were were' reminds me of Yinka Davies' remix of that folk song. Quite nice and that is someone who goes the extra mile to perfect whatever she's doing. I guess that's why some regard her as being eccentric!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jul 06, 2005
Yinka Davies is tight! I love her style because it's unique.

Those people who think she's eccentric are simply conservative Nigerians that are content with the way we apporach music.
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by pkrix(m): 9:58pm On Jul 08, 2005
Nigerian musician are really doing something good. But the musician I have considered the worst in Nigeria so far is Genny Baby.

If were her, I can't release that music to the public
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by Greatpeter(m): 10:18pm On Jul 08, 2005
It is no doubt that we have talented musician in this country, but their unpreparedness to study music is their bane of not lasting in "spotlight"

But come to think of it there is this Juju musician which I don't he studied Kulikuli yet he's still making wave.
I am talking of KSA.(King Sunny Ade)

But he would have been achieved more if he studied music.
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 09, 2005
when u talk about studying music it depends on the kind of music u're into. if it's classical, afro-beat,high life definately u have to study instrumentals and all. but stuff like hip hop and R&B is easier to go into without long months of studying. u just learn the basic and do a lot of practise: battling/free styling etc. but yeah u gotta know about rhyming (one thing many nigerian musicians leave out), flowing with a beat, how to cook up hooks/choruses etc.

true word many Nigerian musicians don't take time out to properly study the art before venturing into the bussiness. practice/study makes perfect. we should be aware.
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by debolab: 11:42am On Dec 22, 2005
You all have made good good points.
The question now is, who is to blame for the mediocrity that reigns in our music industry now?

For me I blame the fans who celebrate mediocrity. Look at 2face today, he is being celebrated everywhere but the truth is that the 2face of today is not as tight as the 2face that came out as a green horn. He can't even pitch as high as he used to.

No special treatment for his voice, I guess he eats anything without consideration for his "treasured" voice. He is not alone in this there are so many other Nigerian artist that lack discipline like him.

It high time we stopped celebrating mediocres angry
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by luridguy(m): 10:40pm On Jan 02, 2006
only a few study music like lagbaja fela femi does u see that play instruments .........but hip hop artists very sad they just bring out beat and open there mouth  do u know tupacs songs have scored music well i would not blame the artist totally the producers also have a little to do with it but mostly the artist u should see the doumentary of kanye west live bands playing to rap music now thats creative nigerian artist should study music and open there heads and come up with new things
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by smartsoft(m): 4:15am On Jan 04, 2006
Good Point...   Now is kind of true... 2face Can't Pitch.. i guess if he tries  that.. he will go  off key.. there is one Artist that trips me when he pitch.. ( X-PROJECT  " aye mi ti dun ju ti tele lo  " )     the guy tried,  like 2face don't really hard-lips.. but is making wave...When singing.. you don't show your self and don't try to pick ya self out.. let the people out there pick ya.... like Segun Obe Now.. is more  of R " kelly..  he talks and sings...when he sing.. is as if his kind of talking to you.. but he never went for music school..  he read .. Mass Communication.. but he enjoy music.. and he does his rehersal well..

When singing, you voice texture matters, you body language, and how you pronounce the wordings of your song.. i'm not Singing because i want to make money.. but  i want to sing because is part of me..

There is this documentary i watch.. humm... Why you see CeleDion Going high pitch is because... there is this machine thats wash is troat.. and clears all dirty things in her troat.. but we don't have that kind of machine here.. instead you avoid.. drinking Cold Water, Garri, staying under Fan that blows high.. e.t.c

I myself is into music as well... i learnt music and  i score music..ranging from Gospel songs down to R&B like boyz 2 men and Graig David.. those are my mentol And rehers, i rehers both in toilet, bathroom, When i'm kind of lonely..when people sees me.. they feel  " this guy is kind of mad.. his talking to his self.."  have started singing when i was in school then with friends.. but they all left.. i felt discourage and all that..but   When i sing they don't  believe i'm singing and all that...  hehehee what  do i sing... Gospel Song ( R&B ) and Hippop... but kind of Like R&B..Well by january ending my song will be played on air...
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by JustGood(m): 5:54pm On Jan 20, 2007
must they go to study music?
many musicains abroad sef no study music and dem no fit read music
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by tabontabo: 9:08am On May 27, 2007
That's not true. Most successful international artistes perfect their act by learning the rules of the trade. Absense of that is what is depriving a lot of our musicians local champions.

2-face had a rare change of staging an upset in Hollywood, but he lacked finasse(?) which he could have learnt had he gone to school and the people around him would not tell him the truth.

Every trade has its own set of rules, music inclusive. And learning the rules will make you better at what you do.
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by holythug(m): 8:01am On Dec 22, 2007
its a gift it doesnt really matter
dat shd b an aftermath

wat of pple who study it & can sing
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by OEPHIUS(m): 12:53pm On Dec 22, 2007
@ poster nigerian hip hop artistes don't study music and that is how it is all over the world name five hi hop acts that even know how to play an instrument
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 14, 2017
delarontus:
Talking about 'bata somi were were' reminds me of Yinka Davies' remix of that folk song. Quite nice and that is someone who goes the extra mile to perfect whatever she's doing. I guess that's why some regard her as being eccentric!

Hello ma'am, I was wondering if you could share 'bata somi were were' with me.
Thanks!
Re: Nigerian Musicians Don't Study Music by fredo219: 4:54pm On Aug 14, 2017
listen to this mad jam, Kenzy ft keel BOUNCE. http://www.thebeatbase.com/2017/08/kenzybounce-ft-keel.html?m=1

(1) (Reply)

"GT The Guitarman And Wande Cole" Whom Do You Think Is More Promising. / GOSPEL MUSIC: Mercy Chinwo - On A Regular / NEW MUSIC: Burna Boy – Heaven’s Gate Ft. Lily Allen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.