Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,067 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? (4262 Views)

Today Is Saturday(the Real Sabbath Day) But We Are Not In Church. "Why Is It So? / Which Day Is The Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday / Saturday Or Sunday - When Is The Real Sabbath Day? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by xpac01(m): 4:40pm On Mar 07, 2015
By definition, Sabbath day is a day sanctified and declared holy by God as a day rest unto man.(Ex 20:8-11). And from historical accounts and Jews background, we see the last day of the week to falling on Saturday. (Lk23:53-56, Julian Calendar 46 B.C. & the Gregorian of 1582).

Now there are three (3) pressing questions which I imagine will be pertinent to ask us Niralanders.
They are:
1. How did the sabbath day metamorphose from Saturday to Sunday.
2. Why does God still manifest Himself when people worship on Sunday as against Saturday the supposed sabbath day.
3. If perhaps Saturday turns to be the real sabbath day, will all those who work and married couples who make love on saturday go to hell for defiling the sabbath?

Please the thread is open, all types of opinions are welcome. But please let's discuss and not Diss-Curse.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by acidtalk: 4:40pm On Mar 07, 2015
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by kinglekan: 4:41pm On Mar 07, 2015
*takes d front seat*
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by tintingz(m): 4:58pm On Mar 07, 2015
Sabbath day is Saturday in the Bible, it was changed by early ignorant Christians.

xpac01:
By definition, Sabbath day is a day sanctified and declared holy by God as a day rest unto man.(Ex 20:8-11). And from historical accounts and Jews background, we see the last day of the week to falling on Saturday. (Lk23:53-56, Julian Calendar 46 B.C. & the Gregorian of 1582).

Now there are three (3) pressing questions which I imagine will be pertinent to ask us Niralanders.
Ok

They are:
The early Christians changed it to Sunday because Jesus rose on Sunday whereas Jesus never change the sabbath day from Saturday to Sunday.

2. Why does God still manifest Himself when people worship on Sunday as against Saturday the supposed sabbath day.

God doesn't have a particular day to manifest his powers, prayers are meant to be everyday thing.

3. If perhaps Saturday turns to be the real sabbath day, will all those who work and married couples who make love on saturday go to hell for defiling the sabbath?
Many are ignorant of the sabbath day so it is only God that knows.

Please the thread is open, all types of opinions are welcome. But please let's discuss and not Diss-Curse.
Yeah, peace.

1 Like

Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by Tallesty1(m): 5:04pm On Mar 07, 2015
MizMyColi
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 07, 2015
There were no names of the day when God Created everything...it was counted tho...only pagans started naming the days according to their beliefs and it was passed to every generation til now...So regadless of any day u rest & wanna worship God tats all matter....
And this so called Religions segregated all ppol on how & when to praise& worship God..

1 Like

Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by xpac01(m): 5:15pm On Mar 07, 2015
tintingz:
Sabbath day is Saturday in the Bible, it was changed by early ignorant Christians.

Ok

The early Christians changed it to Sunday because Jesus rose on Sunday whereas Jesus never change the sabbath day from Saturday to Sunday.

God doesn't have a particular day to manifest his powers, prayers are meant to be everyday thing.

Many are ignorant of the sabbath day so it is only God that knows.

Yeah, peace.
Ok thanks bro. But now in your opinion, do you suppose the true sabbath should be saturday or sunday?
Cc: OAM4J,
Obinoscopy,
Seun.
Please, hope this also graces the fp for general view and opinions. Thanks
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by MizMyColi(f): 5:16pm On Mar 07, 2015
Tallesty1:
MizMyColi

Lmao.
Nwanne, all this levels no be my turf again na.

Saturday church o, Sunday church o
These things are really not worth debating on.

If you want to practice sabbath because it's written in some old jewish scripture then please be sure to follow other traditions.
Follow it to the letter.

Besides, last I checked, shebi they called us gentiles.
So we're not bound by these laws.

Finally, in my worldview.....this is just inconsequential.
Our God-within is not bothered. Trust me.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by xpac01(m): 5:28pm On Mar 07, 2015
KashyBaby:
There were no names of the day when God Created everything...it was counted tho...only pagans started naming the days according to their beliefs and it was passed to every generation til now...So regadless of any day u rest & wanna worship God tats all matter....
And this so called Religions segregated all ppol on how & when to praise& worship God..
Nice one sis. But from the scriptures as quoted above, it was stated that, Jesus rose on the first day of the week, which is invariably Sunday as celebrated on Easter Sunday, or should we then say the Holy bible also borrowed their days counting from the historical pagans?
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by tintingz(m): 5:37pm On Mar 07, 2015
xpac01:

Ok thanks bro. But now in your opinion, do you suppose the true sabbath should be saturday or sunday?
Like have said Saturday is the sabbath day.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by tintingz(m): 5:54pm On Mar 07, 2015
MizMyColi:

Lmao.

If you want to practice sabbath because it's written in some old jewish scripture then please be sure to follow other traditions.
Follow it to the letter.

"Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18) "

"Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 'The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.' (Matthew 23:1-3) "

1 Like

Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by Tallesty1(m): 6:09pm On Mar 07, 2015
MizMyColi:

Lmao.

Follow it to the letter.

I know but the op doesn't..

Thanks
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by itstpia99: 7:27pm On Mar 07, 2015
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by benosky(m): 9:50pm On Mar 07, 2015
Anyday u choose to serve ur God is ur sabbath. In dubai we go to church on fridays nd sunday is a working day.

1 Like

Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by xpac01(m): 6:26am On Mar 08, 2015
Tallesty1:
I know but the op doesn't..

Thanks
Urrm, u knew it and never said it bro...
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by Tallesty1(m): 6:29am On Mar 08, 2015
xpac01:

Urrm, u knew it and never said it bro...
I knew she will say it better
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by xpac01(m): 6:30am On Mar 08, 2015
benosky:
Anyday u choose to serve ur God is ur sabbath. In dubai we go to church on fridays nd sunday is a working day.
Kini..! Nice one. This must be one reason grace came down to men, "Disparity".
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by xpac01(m): 6:38am On Mar 08, 2015
Tallesty1:
I knew she will say it better
Hehehe, the laugh just cleared the sleep web outta my eyes.. So you saying her opinion is yours.
No wahala sha.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by xpac01(m): 7:07am On Mar 08, 2015
tintingz:
"Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18) "

"Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 'The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.' (Matthew 23:1-3) "
Urrm, bro, if I got this very well, you mean, we are bound to follow the laws written in the book of Moses ( the Pentateuch) that is: Offering of burnt sacrifices, separation of the first born of every animal and man to God, the leaven bread, passover feast, virginity rituals (i.e. for newly wedded couples) e.t.c.?
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by Hiswordxray(m): 7:53am On Mar 08, 2015
xpac01:

They are:

Christ is the real Sabbath.
"16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ." (Col 2:16-17)

Sabbath is nothing but a type, shadow, symbol, picture or representation of Christ. Christ is the reality of Sabbath.
Christ is the meaning, purpose and essence of Sabbath.

Read also Hebrews 4

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by tintingz(m): 11:25am On Mar 08, 2015
xpac01:

Urrm, bro, if I got this very well, you mean, we are bound to follow the laws written in the book of Moses ( the Pentateuch) that is: Offering of burnt sacrifices, separation of the first born of every animal and man to God, the leaven bread, passover feast, virginity rituals (i.e. for newly wedded couples) e.t.c.?
Yes, Christians must follow this laws as Jesus never condemn, abolish this laws.

These laws were well practiced during Jesus time, some laws are from God while some are of men(Jesus cleared that in Matthew 23:1-3).

Many pastors are picky when it comes to old testament practice they choose some verses for their selfish gain.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by tintingz(m): 11:37am On Mar 08, 2015
Hiswordxray:

Christ is the real Sabbath.
"16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ." (Col 2:16-17)

Sabbath is nothing but a type, shadow, symbol, picture or representation of Christ. Christ is the reality of Sabbath.
Christ is the meaning, purpose and essence of Sabbath.

Read also Hebrews 4
Where did Jesus said all this? undecided

Hebrew and Colossians were they Jesus words?

1 Like

Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by xpac01(m): 11:40am On Mar 08, 2015
tintingz:
Yes, Christians must follow this laws as Jesus never condemn, abolish this laws.

These laws were well practiced during Jesus time, some laws are from God while some are of men(Jesus cleared that in Matthew 23:1-3).

Many pastors are picky when it comes to old testament practice they choose some verses for their selfish gain.
Urrm, right bro. I understand you now. But lastly what I wanted getting is that, do you still practice those laws observed during Jesus time on earth (saturday sabbath inclusive), AS IN YOU IN PARTICULAR, or are you basically reitrating that it supposed to be practiced by Churches?
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by Hiswordxray(m): 12:33pm On Mar 08, 2015
tintingz:

Jesus is the fulfilment of Sabbath day. All who are in Christ had enter into Sabbath and our lives is a worship. Therefore everyday is Sabbath and our life is a worship to God.

"For we who have believed do enter that rest,... For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works” ;... For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His." (Heb 4:3,4 & 10).

Sabbath is no longer a day but a person and that person is Jesus. The purpose of Sabbath day was to foretell the story of Jesus, it preaches Jesus coming. But now that Jesus had come we no longer have a Sabbath day but a Sabbath person (Jesus). And when you are in Christ then you are in Sabbath.

Therefore we have to live Our lives as a worship to God.

1 Like

Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by tintingz(m): 12:49pm On Mar 08, 2015
Hiswordxray:

Jesus is the fulfilment of Sabbath day. All who are in Christ had enter into Sabbath and our lives is a worship. Therefore everyday is Sabbath and our life is a worship to God.
Ofcos worship are meant to be everyday practice but why is Sunday fixed as Christian sabbath day?

"For we who have believed do enter that rest,... For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works” ;... For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His." (Heb 4:3,4 & 10).
Between the verse I quoted (Mathew) and yours Hebrew, which one is more of Jesus words?

Jesus said obey the laws you are quoting another thing. undecided

Sabbath is no longer a day but a person and that person is Jesus. The purpose of Sabbath day was to foretell the story of Jesus, it preaches Jesus coming. But now that Jesus had come we no longer have a Sabbath day but a Sabbath person (Jesus). And when you are in Christ then you are in Sabbath.
Who said all these??

Therefore we have to live Our lives as a worship to God.
Yes. smiley
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by tintingz(m): 12:52pm On Mar 08, 2015
xpac01:

Urrm, right bro. I understand you now. But lastly what I wanted getting is that, do you still practice those laws observed during Jesus time on earth (saturday sabbath inclusive), AS IN YOU IN PARTICULAR, or are you basically reitrating that it supposed to be practiced by Churches?
Jesus said obey the laws, you as a christian will you disobey his words?

1 Like

Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by Hiswordxray(m): 1:24pm On Mar 08, 2015
tintingz:
Are you obeying the law?
Do you know that the law is more than 600?

If you say you are obeying the law then you are a big lier.

If you disobey one of the law then you have disobeyed all.
"Cursed is the one who does not confirm all the words of this law by observing them.’ “And all the people shall say, ‘Amen!’ ” (Due 27:26)

1 Like

Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by xpac01(m): 1:45pm On Mar 08, 2015
tintingz:
Oh well, hard to believe though.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by tintingz(m): 2:30pm On Mar 08, 2015
Hiswordxray:

Are you obeying the law?
Do you know that the law is more than 600?

If you say you are obeying the law then you are a big lier.
You don't expect everyone to be perfect.

If you disobey one of the law then you have disobeyed all.
"Cursed is the one who does not confirm all the words of this law by observing them.’ “And all the people shall say, ‘Amen!’ ” (Due 27:26)
Do many pastors even preach the laws in the bible?

90% Christians go to church on Sundays thinking it is the sabbath day and Jesus in the bible never preached that.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by MuttleyLaff: 2:39pm On Mar 08, 2015
xpac01:

They are:

Re: For Catholics, Come And Ask Your Questions About The Catholic Faith by johnydon22(m): 7:17am On Oct 20, 2014
https://www.nairaland.com/1957516/catholics-come-ask-questions-catholic#31307883

johnydon22: 7:17am On Oct 20, 2014
This trend is for fellow catholics, ask questions of what you do not understand in the catholic doctrine and i will answer.
i.e: Any other person can also help and answer a question they know

MuttleyLaff: 9:48pm On Mar 04, 2015
Why and what was the rationale behind moving the day of rest from the seventh day of the week to the first day of the week?
Who, precisely sanctioned this move?
When, where and how exactly, after the death of Christ, was this move sanctioned?
Under what authority (e.g. whether it was based on bible or not) was this move carried out?
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by MuttleyLaff: 2:50pm On Mar 08, 2015
Re: Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? by Hiswordxray(m): 2:52pm On Mar 08, 2015
tintingz:
You don't expect everyone to be perfect.

Do many pastors even preach the laws in the bible?

90% Christians go to church on Sundays thinking it is the sabbath day and Jesus in the bible never preached that.
Exactly, this is the reason pastors need to preach that Jesus is Sabbath and not Saturday or Sunday. And people must observe Sabbath.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet Woman Who Was Greater Than Virgin Mary In The Bible / A Proof To Show That No Lame Has Been Healed By Miracle In Nigeria / How Often Do You Read Your Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.