Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,729 members, 7,831,323 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals (22887 Views)

Pope Francis Swears-In Peter Okpaleke As Cardinal Of The Roman Catholic Church / Mbaka Supporter Threatens To Kill Bishop, Peter Obi After Church Ban (Vid) / Peter Okpaleke Resigns As Bishop Of Ahiara Diocese, Mbaise In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by OLULAW: 9:36pm On May 29, 2022
descarado:

Seriously shocked shocked

How come. I thought they drove him out to put their own.

Are you having a laugh, drove him out to put their own? Nah it’s not the Anglican Church. This is the Roman Catholic Church. grin grin grin
They’ve literally screwed themselves up. Let their indigenous priests make themselves bishops - that’s their departure from Rome. If I were the Pope, I will find a deserving non Igbo priest who nonetheless speaks Igbo fluently and appoint him as bishop of Ahiara and see if they will reject him…I will make sure he’s young enough so he has some 40-50 years before retiring so when the current generation (lay and ordained) who rejected Okpaleke dies, future generations- both lay and ordained - would learn not to disrespect papal authority. grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by matm: 9:36pm On May 29, 2022
This man as I read in d news was totally rejected and remained s floating bishop for long.Dt was how pope came to know more about him.
Every disappointment is a blessing.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Emyben(m): 9:48pm On May 29, 2022
chidonez:
I find it very strange that an ordinary bishop with a newly created diocese is made a cardinal...I use to think the Cardinalate is for important diocese around the world
How come ekulobia diocese is more important than
Lagos(metropolitan dioceses)
Onitsha(that has the highest percentage of catholics in Nigeria
Abuja(I thought he(bishop kaigama)will be the next Cardinal cos bishop of Abuja and Lagos are normally made Cardinals)
Maybe it may be the fact that both Cardinal onayeikan and okogie both emeritus of the above named diocese aren't dead yet cos you can't have 2 Cardinals in a diocese
But even if he is to pick a Cardinal from anambra state why didn't he choose bishop varlerian okeke the most senior bishop in the east

The story no clear at all

Maybe bishop okpaleke will be called to work in the Vatican cos I find it hard to believe that a whole Cardinal with pastor a sufforgan diocese and not a archdiocese

Please correct me if I'm wrong...I may have made some mistakes but due to my limited understanding of the catholic church that's the way I see it

Pachuwudi44 what do you think??

Lol, I found it strange too.
So I called a priest and he told me that he will likely be appointed out to the Vatican.

I always thought Archbishop Val would be a Cardinal someday.
Hahahahaha, the Pope knows best.
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by OLULAW: 9:57pm On May 29, 2022
Faber:

Mbaise are very very stupid to think that way. The first Bishop of Ahiara , the Late Bishop Victor Adibe Chikwe, is he not from Mbaise? They should have allowed bishop Peter, let's approach the things of God in a godly manner, Peter would have brought his own ingenuity to develop the rural Ahiara diocese.

The first Bishop of Umuahia, Nwedo was from Imo state, the second Bishop of Umuahia, Ugorji also from Imo state. Did Umuahia people scream marginalization. Is Mbaise people more learned than Umuahia people that produced the likes of Aguiyi Ironsi, Michael Okpara, OUK, Nnamdi Kanu, T.A Orji, Umuahia people smartness no be here, yet they accepted Bishops from other areas

The first Bishop of Orlu, Ochiagha was from Mbano, that's Okigwe zone, did Orlu people scream marginalization.

There is Bishop Amatu from Anambra State in Okigwe, Okigwe people accepted him. Okigwe diocese is more developed than Ahiara in all aspects. There are close to 8 local governments in Okigwe diocese, yet they approached it, the way it should be...

All over the World as far as Catholic church is concerned, there are particular dioceses/cities that are Episcopal powerhouses in each particular country.

The Archdiocese of Munich and Freising in Germany, that produced Pope Benedict XVI are one of Germany's Episcopal powerhouses, they produce more Bishops than others.

The Patriarchal see of Venice in Italy that produced Pope John XVIII dey produce Bishops woto woto for Italy. There's nothing like marginalization in the things of God.

Archbishop of Benin City is an Igbo man. Did Benin people pursue him? Mbaise and Edo people who tear eye pass?
Former Archbishop of Lagos Cardinal Okogie is from Benin City.
Archbishop of Abuja is from Jos. Former Archbishop of Abuja, Cardinal Onaiyekan is from Kogi state.
Bishop of Minna is from Anambra State,
Former Bishop of Enugu, Bishop Gbuji is from Delta State.
Bishop of Sokoto is from Kaduna. He no dey gree make Sokoto people rest. Yet they accepted him.
A bishop from Abia state is Apostolic nuncio in far away Nicaragua.
Another Bishop from Anambra is papal Nuncio in Costa Rica.
Another one from Imo state is in Benin Republic. Did Benin Republic people pursue am, that he is from Nigeria.

Among all these people na Mbaise wise pass abi? you people messed up full time. This is not political post. We are talking of the things of God. The thousands of priests you people produced, by that singular act made them unbelievers. Ahaira Mbaise needs to be re-evangelized, Una never receive the Gospel.

Thanks for your honesty, and for citing these examples.

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Emyben(m): 10:00pm On May 29, 2022
BOSSkesh:

Lol...I had the same thought too why didn't he pick the archbishop of Lagos bishop adewale martins
I think he's the most senior archbishop in Nigeria that is yet to be named Cardinal and he heads a big archdiocese that has been overlooked
Una dey see tribalism in action abi. igbo catholics think they're more superior to other catholics in this country

Very weird choice for a Cardinal but I heard that he's one of Cardinal arinze boys sha

Wetin concern Tribalism concern Pope again.
Is the Pope an Igbo man?

Is Onaiyekan not Yoruboid?
If you talking of seniority, Archbishop Val of Onitsha is the most senior Metropolitan in Nigeria, yet he wasn't made a Cardinal.
Why do you feel it had to be Archbishop Alfred?

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by lasisi69(f): 10:21pm On May 29, 2022
Rivguydee:

It’s because Catholic Church closes early and have different masses (services). Dem no fit leave their businesses for long
cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by GreyLaw(m): 11:00pm On May 29, 2022
Yampotatocarrot:

God bless you, brother. I'm very sure Mbaise people will be ashamed now.

The guy was ready to be killed by Mbaise people just for the sake of the gospel. At a point, all Catholic members were asked to wear black in Mbaise to signify his death/rejection... What was his offence? He is from Anambra State. Funny thing was, he NEVER fought back, NEVER said things against them. The opposition was being propelled by the priests in the churches in Mbaise. You'll go to church and the priest will be spitting venom against the appointed bishop.

That was the lowest of the lows of Mbaise people... Now, God has vindicated him

All those priests and everyone who joined them have a serious certain judgement from God hanging over their necks. It may not be obvious, but it surely would manifest in different ways.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by GreyLaw(m): 11:07pm On May 29, 2022
OLULAW:

Are you having a laugh, drove him out to put their own? Nah it’s not the Anglican Church. This is the Roman Catholic Church. grin grin grin
They’ve literally screwed themselves up. Let their indigenous priests make themselves bishops - that’s their departure from Rome. If I were the Pope, I will find a deserving non Igbo priest who nonetheless speaks Igbo fluently and appoint him as bishop of Ahiara and see if they will reject him…I will make sure he’s young enough so he has some 40-50 years before retiring so when the current generation (lay and ordained) who rejected Okpaleke dies, future generations- both lay and ordained - would learn not to disrespect papal authority. grin grin grin

Lol... you wicked. Hehehe... but sincerely, those guys who did that thing may not know that they a have a certain judgement from God hanging over their neck. See what happened between Mkses and Miriam and Aaron when Moses married an Ethiopian. God came down in anger and asked them, "were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?"
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by emmanueloti65: 11:35pm On May 29, 2022
it is unfortunate an Igbo son is a member of the LovePeddler of Babylon that is adorned in scarlet and purple.
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Shaev7(m): 12:00am On May 30, 2022
fergie001:

SOURCE

Peter Obi

Oseloka Obaze

Me and this Cardinal na the same day and month. March 1. His Grace. God bless
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by djon78(m): 12:31am On May 30, 2022
hardon1:

Every church has areas of strong hold and it's sterns back to colonial times. Eastern Nigeria accepted the early catholic missionaries. The Early catholic missionaries too saw the the resistance put up by the southern kings ( the Nanas, obas,) and other riverine kings against the CMS who first came in.

They found a way to drift into the hinterland, and you know igbos in past times don't have very powerful kings - hence the saying "Igbo ama-eze). they were somewhat govern by elders. The catholic missionaries were welcomed with out much restraint, given lands (so called evil forest) to build churches and it grew from there

Hence majority of igbos are catholic... A faith passed to their ancestors and then to them. If you see an Igbo person who is pentecostal, his/her parent or grandparents are probably Catholic or perhaps CMS

Very true

I am Pentecostal

But my family foundation is CMS
My elder cousin is an Arch Deacon in CMS

But because of my family foundation, I did my wedding in CMS. The thing sweet my people then

Because an elder cousin of mine who is very rich is a Pastor in Pentecostal
So our people felt he was confusing his younger ones because of his money

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Cordenify(m): 2:51am On May 30, 2022
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by ask4bk(m): 4:59am On May 30, 2022
chidonez:
I find it very strange that an ordinary bishop with a newly created diocese is made a cardinal...I use to think the Cardinalate is for important diocese around the world
Abuja(I thought he(bishop kaigama)will be the next Cardinal cos bishop of Abuja and Lagos are normally made Cardinals)
Maybe it may be the fact that both Cardinal onayeikan and okogie both emeritus of the above named diocese aren't dead yet cos you can't have 2 Cardinals in a diocese
But even if he is to pick a Cardinal from anambra state why didn't he choose bishop varlerian okeke the most senior bishop in the east

Maybe bishop okpaleke will be called to work in the Vatican cos I find it hard to believe that a whole Cardinal with pastor a sufforgan diocese and not a archdiocese

Please correct me if I'm wrong...I may have made some mistakes but due to my limited understanding of the catholic church that's the way I see it

Its because we African love authority and power and want to look high above all.

Nothing stops a cardinal from even being a parish priest if he's without diocese and thus answers to his Bishop. Cardinal is just an office that makes you able to vote and be voted for as Pope. It adds nothing to your pastoral power.

Yes, he'll still answer to the archbishop of Onitsha on metropolitan matters. Doesn't mean anything.
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Ubenedictus(m): 8:18am On May 30, 2022
chidonez:

It is a bit strange and this rarely ever happens. I believe his superior is Valarian Okeke and that is the archbishop Onitcha.

but the list for cardinals is a bit interesting because, the cardinal chosen from the United States is just like bishop Okpaleke. he isnt an archbishop, his archbishop was overlook and a suffragan elevated.
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 9:05am On May 30, 2022
matm:
This man as I read in d news was totally rejected and remained s floating bishop for long.Dt was how pope came to know more about him.
Every disappointment is a blessing.
Exactly,that's how the Pope knew him and since then, he has been growing from strength to Strength.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by PARADIZEPRIEST: 10:09am On May 30, 2022
[quote author=fergie001 post=113287571][/quote]WONDERFUL INSPIRING TRUE MEN OF GOD grin cheesy wink
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Christmasdon(m): 10:30am On May 30, 2022
POPE URBAN THE ONLY PRIEST WHO WAS ELECTED TO BE A POPE. CATHOLIC CHURCH IS DATED AS FAR BACK AS 2,000YEARS AGO. HAVE YOU HEARD OF REAL POPE OR ANTI POPE BEFORE.?
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Dmacqh(m): 11:17am On May 30, 2022
SLOVFO:

Let's cut them some slack friend. Every religious group have some politics they play in the selection of leaders. Sometimes people allow primordial sentiments to override religious considerations. I really don't blame Mbaise people...

You are right . I don’t need to disclose my identity. Though I’m still in my 20’s , out of coincidence, I was a photocopy operator sometime ago. I photocopied their defence . Even the documents, minutes of meetings , complains and every details about the war . The one they sent to Pope , I photocopied it . The original copy , I had about 6 hours before the man came back to take it . I saw everything . The attacks on Bishop Obinna and Cardinal Arinze . Even the visiting former Orlu Bishop.
Fear Mbaise people before you fear snake .
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Dmacqh(m): 11:28am On May 30, 2022
36STATES:

I am not surprised you don't like them.
Mbaise don't give criminals like you a chance to play your game with them. Ha ha ha ha

My relationship ( in-laws , language, co-tenants, colleagues , professionals , coursemates, teammates, fans , residence, friendship ) and business ( football , survey ) with Mbaise have come a long way.
I’m not from Mbaise but if you are and I contest election with you in Mbaise ( the 3 LGAs ) I’ll win you even if you are from Mbaise.
I’m always more careful with Mbaise person than a snake.
Hope you know that general maxim.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Badgers14: 1:01pm On May 30, 2022
Faber:

Mbaise are very very stupid to think that way. The first Bishop of Ahiara , the Late Bishop Victor Adibe Chikwe, is he not from Mbaise? They should have allowed bishop Peter, let's approach the things of God in a godly manner, Peter would have brought his own ingenuity to develop the rural Ahiara diocese.

The first Bishop of Umuahia, Nwedo was from Imo state, the second Bishop of Umuahia, Ugorji also from Imo state. Did Umuahia people scream marginalization. Is Mbaise people more learned than Umuahia people that produced the likes of Aguiyi Ironsi, Michael Okpara, OUK, Nnamdi Kanu, T.A Orji, Umuahia people smartness no be here, yet they accepted Bishops from other areas

The first Bishop of Orlu, Ochiagha was from Mbano, that's Okigwe zone, did Orlu people scream marginalization.

There is Bishop Amatu from Anambra State in Okigwe, Okigwe people accepted him. Okigwe diocese is more developed than Ahiara in all aspects. There are close to 8 local governments in Okigwe diocese, yet they approached it, the way it should be...

All over the World as far as Catholic church is concerned, there are particular dioceses/cities that are Episcopal powerhouses in each particular country.

The Archdiocese of Munich and Freising in Germany, that produced Pope Benedict XVI are one of Germany's Episcopal powerhouses, they produce more Bishops than others.

The Patriarchal see of Venice in Italy that produced Pope John XVIII dey produce Bishops woto woto for Italy. There's nothing like marginalization in the things of God.

Archbishop of Benin City is an Igbo man. Did Benin people pursue him? Mbaise and Edo people who tear eye pass?
Former Archbishop of Lagos Cardinal Okogie is from Benin City.
Archbishop of Abuja is from Jos. Former Archbishop of Abuja, Cardinal Onaiyekan is from Kogi state.
Bishop of Minna is from Anambra State,
Former Bishop of Enugu, Bishop Gbuji is from Delta State.
Bishop of Sokoto is from Kaduna. He no dey gree make Sokoto people rest. Yet they accepted him.
A bishop from Abia state is Apostolic nuncio in far away Nicaragua.
Another Bishop from Anambra is papal Nuncio in Costa Rica.
Another one from Imo state is in Benin Republic. Did Benin Republic people pursue am, that he is from Nigeria.

Among all these people na Mbaise wise pass abi? you people messed up full time. This is not political post. We are talking of the things of God. The thousands of priests you people produced, by that singular act made them unbelievers. Ahaira Mbaise needs to be re-evangelized, Una never receive the Gospel.

Very well said!

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by MichaelSokoto(m): 3:10pm On May 30, 2022
Faber:

grin grin no problem. Look for one around and go next Sunday. They will take you through the process. You are welcome in advance
I no get white shirt and black pants @ d moment oo!
How we go do am na?
grin
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Faber(m): 3:26pm On May 30, 2022
MichaelSokoto:

I no get white shirt and black pants @ d moment oo!
How we go do am na?
grin

You are free to wear normal pants like jeans with any T- Shirt. You can appear in your normal wear till the rest of year.

The reason for the white T-shirt and black pants is to portray the equality of all before God. The bishop, the president of the Church and those with higher calling dresses the same way with the lowest ranking member. It also helps the poor to appear the same way like those who are well off. You know a lot of Christians go to churches for fashion and show off. Those who don't have good clothes will shy away from Sunday worship.

The Mormon church makes it easier for those who are struggling to always be in the presence of God. Also there are no weekly Sunday offerings. Only tithes for working class ( which is recommended but not compulsory)

Incase they call you an Investigator don't feel insulted. That's the way we describe new converts to the church or first timers grin grin
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by MichaelSokoto(m): 3:53pm On May 30, 2022
Faber:

You are free to wear normal pants like jeans with any T- Shirt. You can appear in your normal wear till the rest of year.

The reason for the white T-shirt and black pants is to portray the equality of all before God. The bishop, the president of the Church and those with higher calling dresses the same way with the lowest ranking member. It also helps the poor to appear the same way like those who are well off. You know a lot of Christians go to churches for fashion and show off. Those who don't have good clothes will shy away from Sunday worship.

The Mormon church makes it easier for those who are struggling to always be in the presence of God. Also there are no weekly Sunday offerings. Only tithes for working class ( which is recommended but not compulsory)

Incase they call you an Investigator don't feel insulted. That's the way we describe new converts to the church or first timers grin grin
Hmm!
No yawa!
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by zoedew: 5:38am On May 31, 2022
chidonez:

It is a reward for his faithfulness to the church in the face of rejection and shame brought on him by Mbaise Diocese. He is now the most senior bishop in the east! He now presides over the Mbaise rebels and his colleagues who kept ominously silent while he was rejected, dejected and without a seat.
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by zoedew: 5:52am On May 31, 2022
Faber:

Amen. The worst is yet to happen to Ahiara RC diocese. There are feelers the diocese may be suppressed, that's closed . Then it becomes a Titular See. Though it can be reopened by another Pope .
Measures are usually taken to whip folks in place. It is a regrettable action Mbaise Catholics took.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by 0monnak0da: 10:56am On Mar 20, 2023
Hypocrites

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues / 'Religion Has Done More Harm To Man Than Technology' - Twitter User Says / 54th Independence Anniversary Church Service, On NTA (Photo News)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.