Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals (22852 Views)

Pope Francis Swears-In Peter Okpaleke As Cardinal Of The Roman Catholic Church / Mbaka Supporter Threatens To Kill Bishop, Peter Obi After Church Ban (Vid) / Peter Okpaleke Resigns As Bishop Of Ahiara Diocese, Mbaise In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Faber(m): 6:36pm On May 29, 2022
Arysexy:
Mbaise rejected Bishop keep getting elevated while Mbaise is without a Bishop.

When you rise above hatred, you grow and excel.

Mbaise should learn

That's how they lost Imo Governorship seat. Their son won fair and square. But instead of to begin work, he and his kinsmen started attacking Rochas . Rochas and co went to Supreme court and then removed him.

5 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by jsnow(m): 6:36pm On May 29, 2022
Faber:

Yeah. This guy Peter Cardinal Okpaleke is one of the boys of Cardinal Arinze. Arinze have close to 10 of his boys who are Bishops the same with Late Bishop Patrick F. Shehan who have his boys scattered all over Northern Nigeria as Catholic Bishops.
Bishop Patrick F. Shehan use to be my bishop in our lady of Fatima, so his late my his soul rest in peace

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by DOTian: 6:39pm On May 29, 2022
Faber:
This guy was rejected by Mbaise people as their Bishop because he hailed from Anambra State. But those that brought the Gospel to Onitsha and entire Igbo land were from Ireland. As Mbaise diocese of Ahiara rejected him. He exclaimed: " my bones shall rest in Ahiara Diocese" that alone signalled his faith, courage and readiness to die for the sake of God, because it was God that called him to be a pastor and leader in Mbaise.

Peter Obi was governor of Anambra State then, he prevailed on him to forget about Mbaise diocese, that God knows the best. bishop Peter went back to his home diocese of Awka and remained without an Episcopal see. Some where calling him a Bishop in a parish, some called him Vagus Bishop. He kept his faith and keep on contributing to the work of God. In 2020 Pope Francis appointed him as Bishop of the new diocese of Ekwulobia in Anambra state that's Governor Soludo's home town. He packed his luggage to Ekwulobia without fear to lay foundation for the diocese.
Barely 3 years, he is now appointed Cardinal, the highest ranking cleric after the Pope. He will take part in the next elections ( conclave) to elect a new Pope if Pope Francis dies or resigns.

My people God writes on a crooked line. The rejected is now the chief corner stone.

I am Proudly Mormon, but I read this guy's story with Mbaise people and have been following his development since then...
Mbaise people really messed up there. Very useless oaf behavior!

4 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Arysexy(m): 6:42pm On May 29, 2022
Egypt209:
Peter Obi now congratulate everybody.
I believe Reno told him to do that, because it's Reno who tutored him on how the supporters are de-marketing him with venomous attack on others.
It was Wike who told him to at least have a character by taking the contest serious instead of telling stories of his family trading since the world creation.

He doesn't seems to be able to get one thing right without being told, except of course his staunch support for IPOB, which seemingly come from his heart.

Mumu.

Peter Obi is a Papal Knight and a staunch Catholic. His sister is a Rev Sr. He had personal relationship with the new Cardinal

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Ekugbeh(m): 6:49pm On May 29, 2022
I felicitate with the new Cardinal Okpalekee

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Joeyfizzo: 6:51pm On May 29, 2022
Wat is the aim of religion.... Pls I want to know
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Freebills12: 6:54pm On May 29, 2022
[color=#000099][/color]
Rivguydee:

It’s because Catholic Church closes early and have different masses (services). Dem no fit leave their businesses for long

You must be high on drugs... Bishop Shaghan didn't discriminate against the Igbos, he didn't condemned entirely our African religion. He found some good attributes in it. He learned our language, instituted schools, hospitals etc

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Freebills12: 6:55pm On May 29, 2022
[color=#000099][/color]
LIGHTROOM:
Cardinal wosey

A man for all season
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Faber(m): 6:56pm On May 29, 2022
ppogba:

God bless you.
With people like you,. history will not be distorted in the future.

Kudos.

Remain blessed
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Christistruth00: 6:57pm On May 29, 2022
The Mbaise will soon bombard the Vatican with letters wailing that the Pope was supposed to appoint one of their sons and not Okpaleke

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by peace80037: 7:02pm On May 29, 2022
Cos the catholic missionaries penetrated the east firstCos the catholic missionaries penetrated the east first...

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by ceragon123: 7:10pm On May 29, 2022
Rivguydee:

It’s because Catholic Church closes early and have different masses (services). Dem no fit leave their businesses for long

Similar to the muslim Salah. Congregate people and hold them for sometime to calm them down and make them feel anew from old sins.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by ceragon123: 7:13pm On May 29, 2022
Joeyfizzo:
Wat is the aim of religion.... Pls I want to know

We all love Karl Marx.

He said it is the opium of the society. The gateway drug.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Zeezenho: 7:14pm On May 29, 2022
RichDad1:

Most hypocritical people. Same will start shouting about competence over tribal or ethnicity.

Afonja chill we all know what happened in university of ife how they rejected the current vp a Yoruba man because he is not from ife ..

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by SLOVFO(m): 7:22pm On May 29, 2022
Dmacqh:
Part of the reasons I don’t like Mbaise people. They rejected the Bishop because he wasn’t from Mbaise. They insisted on their son been Bishop.
Funny the clergy started it using congregation to push the cause .
That’s why once I’m dealing with you and you say , you are a clergy ... I’ll have to be smart .
Same goes to Mbaise people , cunny and over brain people.
Let's cut them some slack friend. Every religious group have some politics they play in the selection of leaders. Sometimes people allow primordial sentiments to override religious considerations. I really don't blame Mbaise people...
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by OLULAW: 7:23pm On May 29, 2022
Faber:
This guy was rejected by Mbaise people as their Bishop because he hailed from Anambra State. But those that brought the Gospel to Onitsha and entire Igbo land were from Ireland. As Mbaise diocese of Ahiara rejected him. He exclaimed: " my bones shall rest in Ahiara Diocese" that alone signalled his faith, courage and readiness to die for the sake of God, because it was God that called him to be a pastor and leader in Mbaise.

Peter Obi was governor of Anambra State then, he prevailed on him to forget about Mbaise diocese, that God knows the best. bishop Peter went back to his home diocese of Awka and remained without an Episcopal see. Some where calling him a Bishop in a parish, some called him Vagus Bishop. He kept his faith and keep on contributing to the work of God. In 2020 Pope Francis appointed him as Bishop of the new diocese of Ekwulobia in Anambra state that's Governor Soludo's home Diocese. He packed his luggage to Ekwulobia without fear to lay foundation for the diocese.
Barely 3 years, he is now appointed Cardinal, the highest ranking cleric after the Pope. He will take part in the next elections ( conclave) to elect a new Pope if Pope Francis dies or resigns.

My people God writes on a crooked line. The rejected is now the chief corner stone.
Cardinal Peter Okpaleke is only 59yrs and will be able to vote in a new Pope or be voted for, for the next 21yrs. He can speak Italian, German etc as he studied in Rome. My people Is a black Pope starring us in the face?...only God knows

I am Proudly Mormon (Latter-day Saints) but I read this guy's story with Mbaise people and have been following his development since then...

And to this day, Ahiara RC Diocese has no bishop. Long may the status quo remain. May you be uplifted to the highest and loftiest position like Okpaleke even as your enemies - like Ahiara Catholic diocese - remain stagnant.

6 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Faber(m): 7:37pm On May 29, 2022
OLULAW:

And to this day, Ahiara RC Diocese has no bishop. Long may the status quo remain. May you be uplifted to the highest and loftiest position like Okpaleke even as your enemies - like Ahiara Catholic diocese - remain stagnant.

Amen. The worst is yet to happen to Ahiara RC diocese. There are feelers the diocese may be suppressed, that's closed . Then it becomes a Titular See. Though it can be reopened by another Pope .

5 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by descarado: 7:38pm On May 29, 2022
Arysexy:

Mumu.

Peter Obi is a Papal Knight and a staunch Catholic. His sister is a Rev Sr. He had personal relationship with the new Cardinal
Don't mind that guy.
It was obi that rescued that man from the hands of those people. A new diocese carved out specifically because of him( though ekwulobia diocese has been on the pipeline but was hastened to accommodate the Bishop)
He was rewarded for his stewardship and faithfulness.
Imagine disgracing a Bishop. One good thing I like about Catholic church

4 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by descarado: 7:41pm On May 29, 2022
OLULAW:

Seriously shocked shocked

How come. I thought they drove him out to put their own.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by rentgyd2000s: 7:41pm On May 29, 2022
LIGHTROOM:
Cardinal wosey

The Man for All Seasons

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by MichaelSokoto(m): 7:55pm On May 29, 2022
Faber:

Peter Obi was governor of Anambra State then, he prevailed on him to forget about Mbaise diocese, that God knows the best. bishop Peter went back to his home diocese of Awka and remained without an Episcopal see. Some where calling him a Bishop in a parish, some called him Vagus Bishop. He kept his faith and keep on contributing to the work of God. In 2020 Pope Francis appointed him as Bishop of the new diocese of Ekwulobia in Anambra state that's Governor Soludo's home Diocese. He packed his luggage to Ekwulobia without fear to lay foundation for the diocese.

Cardinal Peter Okpaleke is only 59yrs and will be able to vote in a new Pope or be voted for, for the next 21yrs. He can speak Italian, German etc as he studied in Rome. My people Is a black Pope starring us in the face?...only God knows

I am Proudly Mormon (Latter-day Saints) but I read this guy's story with Mbaise people and have been following his development since then...
dat una latter day church, d way una buildings dey clean make sense coupled with una members dressings.. guy afa?

ee be like, as an elder, una dey collect some kyne allawee 4rm Yankee...

Gimme d rundown na, abeg!

grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by andy244: 7:59pm On May 29, 2022
The Holy Catholic church

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Faber(m): 8:23pm On May 29, 2022
MichaelSokoto:

dat una latter day church, d way una buildings dey clean make sense coupled with una members dressings.. guy afa?

ee be like, as an elder, una dey collect some kyne allawee 4rm Yankee...

Gimme d rundown na, abeg!

grin

grin grin no problem. Look for one around and go next Sunday. They will take you through the process. You are welcome in advance

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Akanoaaa(m): 8:31pm On May 29, 2022
blazingblender:
Pope Francis kwa
Oh na
But i want to ask
Why is it that the igbos are mostly Catholic
Abi Are they the foundation of Catholic church in Nigeria??

The person who brought Catholic to Nigeria is a Yoruba man from Akure in ondo state, His name is Aguda.
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 29, 2022
Faber:

Soludo is from Isuofia. I wanted to write Soludo's home diocese. His home diocese as a Catholic is Ekwulobia. Of course both Ekwulobia and Isuofia, Achina, Uga, Umuchu are all in Aguata Local Government.

Nice observation

Ok
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by BOSSkesh(m): 8:39pm On May 29, 2022
chidonez:
I find it very strange that an ordinary bishop with a newly created diocese is made a cardinal...I use to think the Cardinalate is for important diocese around the world
How come ekulobia diocese is more important than
Lagos(metropolitan dioceses)
Onitsha(that has the highest percentage of catholics in Nigeria
Abuja(I thought he(bishop kaigama)will be the next Cardinal cos bishop of Abuja and Lagos are normally made Cardinals)
Maybe it may be the fact that both Cardinal onayeikan and okogie both emeritus of the above named diocese aren't dead yet cos you can't have 2 Cardinals in a diocese
But even if he is to pick a Cardinal from anambra state why didn't he choose bishop varlerian okeke the most senior bishop in the east

The story no clear at all

Maybe bishop okpaleke will be called to work in the Vatican cos I find it hard to believe that a whole Cardinal with pastor a sufforgan diocese and not a archdiocese

Please correct me if I'm wrong...I may have made some mistakes but due to my limited understanding of the catholic church that's the way I see it

Pachuwudi44 what do you think??

Lol...I had the same thought too why didn't he pick the archbishop of Lagos bishop adewale martins
I think he's the most senior archbishop in Nigeria that is yet to be named Cardinal and he heads a big archdiocese that has been overlooked
Una dey see tribalism in action abi. igbo catholics think they're more superior to other catholics in this country

Very weird choice for a Cardinal but I heard that he's one of Cardinal arinze boys sha
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by 36STATES: 9:08pm On May 29, 2022
Faber:

Yeah. This guy Peter Cardinal Okpaleke is one of the boys of Cardinal Arinze. Arinze have close to 10 of his boys who are Bishops the same with Late Bishop Patrick F. Shehan who have his boys scattered all over Northern Nigeria as Catholic Bishops.

You are absolutely correct. Mbaise people were right in rejecting him. Arinze is the guy putting his men as bishop all over. Don't be naïve to think that nepotism does not exist even in same community.

Mbaise is made up of 3 local governments with the highest concentration of catholic priests per population anywhere in the world, but none has made it to bishop cadre. Amuzi Ahiara Ahiazu Mbaise, one of the over 40 communities in Mbaise has a population of about 2500 people with more than 30 priests in the 90s when I was growing up; my father used to head one school there. At that time, those Amuzi priests were heading The Dominican fathers, The Holy ghost fathers and one other catholic denomination I can't remember. (Fathers Otibe, Father Ndugbu, Father Ekechukwu. Mbaise are some of the most educated people in the world, not even Nigeria.

Ojukwu declared Biafran independence in Ahaiara Mbaise, there is a reason for that. Mbaise are fearless people and don't have time to stomach injustice. Maybe that is why people that love injustice hate them, and love to spread fake stories about Mbaise people.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by mrksquare: 9:11pm On May 29, 2022
hardon1:

Every church has areas of strong hold and it's sterns back to colonial times. Eastern Nigeria accepted the early catholic missionaries. The Early catholic missionaries too saw the the resistance put up by the southern kings ( the Nanas, obas,) and other riverine kings against the CMS who first came in.

The found a way to drift into the hinterland, and you know igbos in past times don't have very powerful kings - hence the saying "Igbo ama-eze). they were somewhat govern by elders. The catholic missionaries were welcomed with out much restraint, given lands (so called evil forest) to build churches and it grew from there

Hence majority of igbos are catholic... A faith passed to their ancestors and then to them. If you see an Igbo person who is pentecostal, his/her parent or grandparents are probably Catholic or perhaps CMS

Igbos never had a king during the precolonial era. Rather what they had was umuna and the various age group association.
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by 36STATES: 9:18pm On May 29, 2022
Dmacqh:
Part of the reasons I don’t like Mbaise people. They rejected the Bishop because he wasn’t from Mbaise. They insisted on their son been Bishop.
Funny the clergy started it using congregation to push the cause .
That’s why once I’m dealing with you and you say , you are a clergy ... I’ll have to be smart .
Same goes to Mbaise people , cunny and over brain people.

I am not surprised you don't like them.
Mbaise don't give criminals like you a chance to play your game with them. Ha ha ha ha
Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Chinny024(f): 9:19pm On May 29, 2022
wingmanIII:

Odili is Igbo. Take it or leave it.
I don't get it....ODILI IS SOUTH SOUTH but the wife is Igbo!!

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals by Faber(m): 9:36pm On May 29, 2022
36STATES:

You are absolutely correct. Mbaise people were right in rejecting him. Arinze is the guy putting his men as bishop all over. Don't be naïve to think that nepotism does not exist even in same community.

Mbaise is made up of 3 local governments with the highest concentration of catholic priests per population anywhere in the world, but none has made it to bishop cadre. Amuzi Ahiara Ahiazu Mbaise, one of the over 40 communities in Mbaise has a population of about 2500 people with more than 30 priests in the 90s when I was growing up; my father used to head one school there. At that time, those Amuzi priests were heading The Dominican fathers, The Holy ghost fathers and one other catholic denomination I can't remember. (Fathers Otibe, Father Ndugbu, Father Ekechukwu. Mbaise are some of the most educated people in the world, not even Nigeria.

Ojukwu declared Biafran independence in Ahaiara Mbaise, there is a reason for that. Mbaise are fearless people and don't have time to stomach injustice

Mbaise are very very stupid to think that way. The first Bishop of Ahiara , the Late Bishop Victor Adibe Chikwe, is he not from Mbaise? They should have allowed bishop Peter, let's approach the things of God in a godly manner, Peter would have brought his own ingenuity to develop the rural Ahiara diocese.

The first Bishop of Umuahia, Nwedo was from Imo state, the second Bishop of Umuahia, Ugorji also from Imo state. Did Umuahia people scream marginalization. Is Mbaise people more learned than Umuahia people that produced the likes of Aguiyi Ironsi, Michael Okpara, OUK, Nnamdi Kanu, T.A Orji, Umuahia people smartness no be here, yet they accepted Bishops from other areas

The first Bishop of Orlu, Ochiagha was from Mbano, that's Okigwe zone, did Orlu people scream marginalization.

There is Bishop Amatu from Anambra State in Okigwe, Okigwe people accepted him. Okigwe diocese is more developed than Ahiara in all aspects. There are close to 8 local governments in Okigwe diocese, yet they approached it, the way it should be...

All over the World as far as Catholic church is concerned, there are particular dioceses/cities that are Episcopal powerhouses in each particular country.

The Archdiocese of Munich and Freising in Germany, that produced Pope Benedict XVI are one of Germany's Episcopal powerhouses, they produce more Bishops than others.

The Patriarchal see of Venice in Italy that produced Pope John XVIII dey produce Bishops woto woto for Italy. There's nothing like marginalization in the things of God.

Archbishop of Benin City is an Igbo man. Did Benin people pursue him? Mbaise and Edo people who tear eye pass?
Former Archbishop of Lagos Cardinal Okogie is from Benin City.
Archbishop of Abuja is from Jos. Former Archbishop of Abuja, Cardinal Onaiyekan is from Kogi state.
Bishop of Minna is from Anambra State,
Former Bishop of Enugu, Bishop Gbuji is from Delta State.
Bishop of Sokoto is from Kaduna. He no dey gree make Sokoto people rest. Yet they accepted him.
A bishop from Abia state is Apostolic nuncio in far away Nicaragua.
Another Bishop from Anambra is papal Nuncio in Costa Rica.
Another one from Imo state is in Benin Republic. Did Benin Republic people pursue am, that he is from Nigeria.

Among all these people na Mbaise wise pass abi? you people messed up full time. This is not political post. We are talking of the things of God. The thousands of priests you people produced, by that singular act made them unbelievers. Ahaira Mbaise needs to be re-evangelized, Una never receive the Gospel.

13 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye Celebrates Mike Bamiloye 61st Birthday, Lists Filmmaker's Movies / Anja Ringgren Loven Rescues Another Child Abandoned In Akwa Ibom / Feminism In Marriage Is Rubbish – Pastor Mildred Okonkwo (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.