Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,223 members, 7,953,840 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:41 AM

New Realities. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / New Realities. (3664 Views)

These Adulthood Realities Give Us Nostalgia About Our Childhood Privileges / Please Advise My Friend Who Feels Missing Out On The Harsh Realities Of Life / What Are Your Stay At Home Realities During This Lockdown? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Realities. by Mryacks: 9:45pm On May 30, 2022
PrimadonnaO:

That's the problem.

When will they rest?

Well past retirement and they're still the ones trying to give their adult children a future.

An anomaly.

An anomaly indeed..

1 Like

Re: New Realities. by Ajibade123(m): 11:33pm On May 30, 2022
pocohantas:
Lol. I read somewhere that a girl refused to breakup with her abusive bf because he has washing machine and Midea AC.

Omo, e get as sapa go knack you, you go begin reason the devil you know.

I don’t even know if it would get better. I only hope we are all fine out there. smiley
this your signature is the funniest thing I have read today cheesy
pocohantas:
Lol. I read somewhere that a girl refused to breakup with her abusive bf because he has washing machine and Midea AC.

I don’t even know if it would get better. I only hope we are all fine out there. smiley
Re: New Realities. by JejelifeNG: 4:02am On May 31, 2022
Let's talk about the what, the when, the why and the solution

Nigeria has never been good enough to keep everyone in. Before now, travelling out was not a "Plan A" for the average university grad. It was a possible plan C for majority. Now, it has become a necessary plan A for most people and in many cases, the only plan!!!

The reason it became so bad is closely tied to our government. It became this bad after the 2015 democratic coup.

Nigeria has never been good. Nigeria has always been like a kettle on a stove where the temperature increases by 5 degrees every year. Unfortunately, since 2015, the temperature has been increasing by 30 degrees every year. The rate of destruction of some things that had previously never been visibly touched by bad governance is terrible now hence the urgent need to relocate

The solution is....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Realities. by addictiv(m): 4:55pm On Jun 01, 2022
Nigeria haff cast... If you haven't realised this yet you are on a long thing.
Re: New Realities. by ThothHermes: 5:55pm On Jun 01, 2022
Jeremiah 10:23
Re: New Realities. by Assumptabeke(f): 10:30am On Jun 02, 2022
pocohantas:

This is very bad.
Re: New Realities. by Hafizah(f): 11:43am On Jun 02, 2022
Me sef want to japa oo.. May God bring that man into my life who will lead me out of this country. I promise to be the most supportive. loving and hardworking spouse you can think of.. Just give me a chance to meet and know you smiley smiley
Re: New Realities. by pocohantas(f): 12:15pm On Jun 02, 2022
Klass99:

Wetin japa dey cause ehn!

These are wonderful parents who should be forever cherished, because I can't imagine myself taking a loan or going into debt for grown children in their 30s & 40s. I may consider it for the ones in their early 20s but........that is a serious may.

That is how one of my childhood friends (Lydia) was bamboozled by a visiting diasporan with sweet talk and promises of a new life in the United States. Only to be left high and dry with a second child out of wedlock.

We lost touch for a long time but reconnected in 2018 or 2019. In catching up with each other via calls and chats, she mentioned she was now married with a second child and had plans to relocate with her hubby and two boys. I was genuinely happy for her because she was a single mother of one when she met diasporan, so my gladness came from the fact that the guy wasn't bothered about that.

However something about her update rang false to me. There's no way Lydia will marry and I won't hear about it from our childhood circle. She is the type to announce and publicize her affairs, because she likes pepper dem tinz. grin

Tessy (another childhood friend) and I were chatting one day, when I asked her are you aware Lydia got married, were you in attendance? Tessy responded with - what marriage, where and when? In explaining my conversation with Lydia, Tessy began to laugh, saying, is there no limit to the tales this chic will spin?

Tessy went on to explain that diasporan never married Lydia, he basically took advantage of her. Lydia was housing and feeding him during his long visit to Naija/Abuja, while bamboozling her with marriage and life in the US where he is based. They co-habited throughout his stay until she took in and gave birth to her second child. Afterwards diasporan japa-ed back to his base and that was the end of their relationship.

Lydia on her own has always wanted to japa, she grew up in Aussie, but briefly, before her parents returned to Naija. I guess like the post/slides say, she thought diasporan would be her ticket out of Naija.

Wahala done too much o. grin grin
Re: New Realities. by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 02, 2022
"Nigeria have cast"

The bolded reminds me of a guy's words to me few weeks ago. He said "if your daddy has a land or a house, sell it and Japa because Nigeria has cast" .
Another male friend offered to add me to his two friends to Japa to Dubai, when I get there I will get a job, and pay back all immigration costs and all. Lol this is someone who is romantically attracted to me, being trying his luck for years but I do not feel anything for. I knew that's just a death trap...
Definitely I won't sell my dad's house none any of his properties to Japa neither will I be in an entanglement because I want greener pastures. Aside these two ridiculous offers, a lot more were suggested that I had to ask myself how I got to this point and what I'm doing with this guys? ( I guess that's the lesson you get for having only males as friends! cheesy ) Some are really crazy I must say.

Moving on, I decided to go online to search for what I can do. And I saw it! While many are busy running from pillar to post trying to survive at a loss or two, wealth is right there steering at us abundance. We are just too short sighted to see it. We use phones to fight tribal wars, gender wars, to chase clout, for social media etc but we don't know we can actually make wealth from it.

Thing is Most Nigerians are myopic in nature, they are narrow-minded people who walk in one way. Not innovative in any way,They don't think to invent or improve.All they are good at is copy and paste. Once a way is through for one, others rush in until they overfill and overuse the opportunity.

Nigerians are educated but are hardly exposed. They believe you can't make it without hard labour or fraud. That way you either see them Japa to do the hard labour which the indigenes of the countries don't do or they engage in fraud or rituals.

Nigerian believe for one to make it, someone else must be at loss. A very absurd thinking that reflects in their dealings, one of the reasons most times a successful one will hardly show others the way because he or she knows it can come back to bite.

Untill Nigerian youth can seat to think and make ways out of their problem without thinking of easy route, they will continue to sacrifice so much to survive in places they aren't wanted!

As for parents who send children in their 30s and 40s abroad on loans, well I don't have anything against them. However any responsible being would try to avoid his or her parent going through such hurdle.

1 Like

Re: New Realities. by emmanuelbrown26: 3:30pm On Jun 02, 2022
Mindlog:

Add a little groundnut to the mix, I had it for lunch today . cheesy
My friend, where hv u being? Happy New month dear
Re: New Realities. by emmanuelbrown26: 3:35pm On Jun 02, 2022
JejelifeNG:
Let's talk about the what, the when, the why and the solution

Nigeria has never been good enough to keep everyone in. Before now, travelling out was not a "Plan A" for the average university grad. It was a possible plan C for majority. Now, it has become a necessary plan A for most people and in many cases, the only plan!!!

The reason it became so bad is closely tied to our government. It became this bad after the 2015 democratic coup.

Nigeria has never been good. Nigeria has always been like a kettle on a stove where the temperature increases by 5 degrees every year. Unfortunately, since 2015, the temperature has been increasing by 30 degrees every year. The rate of destruction of some things that had previously never been visibly touched by bad governance is terrible now hence the urgent need to relocate

The solution is....
U just said it d way it should be. D 2015 coup is something sensible people won't forget in a hurry.
Re: New Realities. by Mindlog: 3:36pm On Jun 02, 2022
emmanuelbrown26:

My friend, where hv u being? Happy New month dear

Uncle Emma, where is this greetings coming from? shocked
Re: New Realities. by emmanuelbrown26: 3:38pm On Jun 02, 2022
Mindlog:

Uncle Emma, where is this greetings coming from? shocked
From d nyash of my heart na
Re: New Realities. by Mindlog: 4:08pm On Jun 02, 2022
emmanuelbrown26:

From d nyash of my heart na

If I hear! Your heart get base?
Re: New Realities. by emmanuelbrown26: 5:41pm On Jun 02, 2022
Mindlog:

If I hear! Your heart get base?
Lolssss, funny u. Why u cum dry shock say I greet u?
Re: New Realities. by Mindlog: 6:02pm On Jun 02, 2022
emmanuelbrown26:

Lolssss, funny u. Why u cum dry shock say I greet u?

Shock ké? Na the greetings out of the blues, I almost splurted the cappuccino I was taking then. cheesy
Re: New Realities. by emmanuelbrown26: 6:27pm On Jun 02, 2022
Mindlog:

Shock ké? Na the greetings out of the blues, I almost splurted the cappuccino I was taking then. cheesy
Lolsssssss, Nairaland ladies no go kill me for here.
Re: New Realities. by FriendsAndFans(m): 7:34pm On Jun 02, 2022
Klass99:
Hmmm, the part about aged parents going into debt for 20, 30 and 40 year old children doesn't sit well with me. It is just all shades of wrong and no sensible child should be allowing that to happen.

If you want to japa, have a plan, be patient and work your plan. Don't look for short cuts either and most importantly don't let aged parents get into debt because of you. Are your hands broken or is your brain malfunctioning, to a point where you cannot work out your relocation plan? That's all I've got to say! Prima it's been a while, how are you?

Modified to add: Except parents are willingly taking loans and going into debt for their adult children........I cannot deal ooo.

the sad reality is parent still take loans for their children regardless of the age. its the purpose that matters
Re: New Realities. by cooooooks(m): 12:34pm On Jun 08, 2022
It's expected outcome that is used to justify.

A japa to Canada or Europe will cost anything from N6 my to N10 m.

An average wage in Japaland is N2 my a month gross. On top of that, the chance of citizenship sets up the nuclear family for life.

This return on investment is better than any investment vehicle in Nigeria.

Klass99:
Hmmm, the part about aged parents going into debt for 20, 30 and 40 year old children doesn't sit well with me. It is just all shades of wrong and no sensible child should be allowing that to happen.

If you want to japa, have a plan, be patient and work your plan. Don't look for short cuts either and most importantly don't let aged parents get into debt because of you. Are your hands broken or is your brain malfunctioning, to a point where you cannot work out your relocation plan? That's all I've got to say! Prima it's been a while, how are you?

Modified to add: Except parents are willingly taking loans and going into debt for their adult children........I cannot deal ooo.

1 Like

Re: New Realities. by cooooooks(m): 12:37pm On Jun 08, 2022
This is extremely common, at various income levels.
There are people who won't breakup because "at least I go see food chop", some that can't breakup because regular Dubai trips are assured, or even japa potential.

We need to have empathy for peoplez especially with our poverty level in Nigeria.

Leave online personas, we are extremely poor.
pocohantas:

Re: New Realities. by pocohantas(f): 1:21pm On Jun 08, 2022
cooooooks:
There are people who won't breakup because "at least I go see food chop", some that can't breakup because regular Dubai trips are assured, or even japa potential.

We need to have empathy for peoplez especially with our poverty level in Nigeria.

You are right. smiley
Re: New Realities. by GloriousGbola: 1:44pm On Jun 08, 2022
cooooooks:
or even japa potential.

And this is why people need to be paranoid. You cannot always guarantee what SO will do when you enter obodo oyibo. We know the women's stories, plenty of chicks who are just tolerating until they get to a place where they are empowered to Fk you over. But same happens to women too. One friend of a friend, her hubby exit closet once they entered us. Another (a cousin) had her husband abandon the family within a few months of entering Canada. Same happened with another cousin and his wife. Babe just started showing craze once they entered us.

Too many marriages here are 100% managment/convenice and you cannot predict what happens when convenice is no longer convenient

1 Like

Re: New Realities. by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jun 08, 2022
cooooooks:

You are very right, we are extremely poor.

This is why I worry when I see Igbo Men seeking long-term partner approaching ladies with "I can take care you", "I have this & that", "I have this properties & cars, businesses etc" as a means of wooing women.

Nigeria is too poor of a country to woo people with the good life, because majority will jump at it. A lot of women end up getting married to men who claim they work in Chevron as Full-staff, until realising that they aren't even close to being a staff, they just had a short contract that is even expired years back. I know real people offline claiming they work somewhere only to be exposed after marriage.

The Japa thing too is a problem, people are ready to leave their spouse for another person who is sure of Japaing, and they don't even bother about compatibility.
Re: New Realities. by cooooooks(m): 7:28pm On Jun 08, 2022
That's why people should marry who they share mutual love and respect with.

GloriousGbola:

And this is why people need to be paranoid. You cannot always guarantee what SO will do when you enter obodo oyibo. We know the women's stories, plenty of chicks who are just tolerating until they get to a place where they are empowered to Fk you over. But same happens to women too. One friend of a friend, her hubby exit closet once they entered us. Another (a cousin) had her husband abandon the family within a few months of entering Canada. Same happened with another cousin and his wife. Babe just started showing craze once they entered us.

Too many marriages here are 100% managment/convenice and you cannot predict what happens when convenice is no longer convenient
Re: New Realities. by Cutehector(m): 9:05pm On Jun 08, 2022
Hafizah:
Me sef want to japa oo.. May God bring that man into my life who will lead me out of this country. I promise to be the most supportive. loving and hardworking spouse you can think of.. Just give me a chance to meet and know you smiley smiley
u go gree change to christianity? cheesy
Re: New Realities. by Cutehector(m): 9:07pm On Jun 08, 2022
A wonderful read....

Let us try to upskill.
Re: New Realities. by Raalsalghul: 9:45pm On Jun 08, 2022
cooooooks:

Love in the world's poverty capital?

I laugh in Spanish.

Finance is a major influence on heterosexual relationships in this part of the world.

In case you haven't notice, it's mostly Nigerian women that broke shames their men. grin
Re: New Realities. by pansophist(m): 10:20pm On Jun 08, 2022
cooooooks:

Even better, people should marry who they share the same economical level with. As a rule, he/she should be able to give themselves whatever you can give them. Then its sure they are marrying for love, not for selfish motives. Women by default practice this rule, men are yet to catch up.
Re: New Realities. by pansophist(m): 10:22pm On Jun 08, 2022
Raalsalghul:

I laugh in Spanish.

Finance is a major influence on heterosexual relationships in this part of the world.

Na big man pikin that's why. Ikoyi people grin

True love for Nigeria, no make me laugh jare.

2 Likes

Re: New Realities. by cooooooks(m): 2:18am On Jun 09, 2022
This is the definition of classism.

It is a flawed and discriminatory thought process that I reject out of hand.

pansophist:

Even better, people should marry who they share the same economical level with. As a rule, he/she should be able to give themselves whatever you can give them. Then its sure they are marrying for love, not for selfish motives. Women by default practice this rule, men are yet to catch up.
Re: New Realities. by cooooooks(m): 2:20am On Jun 09, 2022
If men lead with money, real or imagined, they will continue to meet money minded women.

There are loads of Nigerian women who seek real love. Sometimes, these are women who have chased money before.

I laugh in sadness.
Raalsalghul:

I laugh in Spanish.

In case you haven't notice, it's mostly Nigerian women that broke shames their men. grin

1 Like

Re: New Realities. by cooooooks(m): 2:21am On Jun 09, 2022
When both of you japa, you two are very likely to lose your religions anyway.

Religion is another arbitrary and unnecessary dividing line.
Cutehector:
u go gree change to christianity? cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Boss is Toasting Me. Should I tell My Husband? / Warning! Don't Do Poultry Biz In TRIAL & ERROR - Get FREE Practical Training... / Lagos Court Dissolves 8 Months Old Marriage Over Mother-in-law’s Harassment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.