Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,721 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:05 PM

Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies (2035 Views)

Why Would Someone Not Want To Be Close To Their Extended Family? / Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies After Two Years Of Marriage - Lady Reveals / Robots And Humans Will Have ‘BABIES’ And Create A New Hybrid Species In The Next (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Threesha(f): 3:09am On May 30, 2022
From DM
Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies After Two Years Of Marriage ?

I am a 38 years old woman. I got married to my husband when I was 36. I was not really into marriage. So I was not the desperate type. Even when my family,friends,everyone was pestering me about marriage,I didn’t care cos I was happy,living my life,happy and fulfilled.

By God’s grace,I am an accomplished woman. I have a thriving career. I have a house of my own and I have a masters while I am pursuing my PHD. I gave in to marriage when I met my husband through a friend that set up the match making. My husband,let us call him John,was and still is,a real estate developer. He is a divorcee but he doesn’t have any child from his ex wife.

I grew to like him and when he proposed,I agreed to marry him. Unfortunately,I didn’t get to meet his people until our marriage ceremonies. Both of us are adults and we didn’t think it was a big deal. John is over 40 years. But soon after my wedding,my mother in-law began to show herself. It was obvious that she didn’t like me. This makes me even suspect that she was the reason behind the first marriage crashing. Even though my husband said,it crashed cos they realized that they were not compatible. They quarreled a lot until they divorced.

Well, this woman came to visit us shortly after our marriage and refused to leave even after one month. I didn’t mind but for her constant nagging. She complains that I am not a homely wife. That I love my career more than my home. She would curse me and call me names. I was horrified but I tried to keep my cool. When I told my husband,he brushed it aside and asked me to be the bigger person by ignoring the mother.

Eventually she left but anytime she calls,she insults me and says that I should be thinking of having a baby instead of focusing so much on my career. That was when I told her to mind her business and stop calling me. That didn’t go well with her and she told her son who told me I shouldn’t cut off his mom.

Well,I ignored them both until my mother in law made a statement in a text message she sent me a few months ago. After calling me useless and all sorts of name in the text,she then goes to say that if I ever have a child,she would take the child and ensure that her son drives me away. That statement made me go crazy. I called her and told her off. That caused a serious problem between me and my husband . Who as usual,instead of correcting his mom and defending me,goes the way of saying:be the bigger person….I am fed up of his behavior.

He says,in their culture,a child does not confront a parent!…I think that is BS!. His attitude is giving me serious cause of worry. Much as I would like to have a child,I have serious hesitation with bringing a child into a home like this. So,I have not been actively trying for a baby. Its been two years. Everyone is getting impatient that I am yet to be pregnant. But as for me,I am not bothered. I am not even trying to have a baby.This is not the type of home to raise a child.

My mother says I should have a child cos the child will bring peace. But with my husband’s mother’s threat,I am not so sure. Coupled with my husband’s inability to address the issue. My husband does not know that I am on protection. And I am not about to go off protection until I am sure of the situation.

But I am writing cos I need your advise.If you were in my shoes,what would you do? I would like to have a child someday cos I love children but I am not sure of the future of this marriage. Having a child in an unhappy or broken home is not my idea. My mother keeps crying every day that my ‘biological clock’ is ticking. That I am being paranoid and selfish. Of course,she is thinking of her grandchildren more than my happiness.

I am exhausted. What should I do? should I have a baby or wait?…or maybe I should even start thinking of ending this marriage?…clearly,the man I call my husband cares more about his mother than he cares about me

2 Likes

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by yomi007k(m): 3:20am On May 30, 2022
Sounds like a Joro Olumofin story.

But in any case, i think u don't want to have a child because u are not ready.

Your MIL threat is nonsene. If she takes your child then get her arrested and charge her to court for kidnapping.

8 Likes

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by gicita8865: 3:20am On May 30, 2022
Gdhd

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by fulaniHERDSman(m): 3:20am On May 30, 2022
What a horror of a partner. With u, who needs spiritual wife.
U need exorcism, cause I'm sure deliverance won't salvage u.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by IyaTola: 3:34am On May 30, 2022
Your life your choice.

1 Like

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Nobody: 3:36am On May 30, 2022
gicita8865:
Gdhd

Do people still fall for this scam?

2 Likes

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by IyaTola: 3:37am On May 30, 2022
grin
DominusPrime:

Do people still fall for this scam?
Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Emma2Seconds: 6:41am On May 30, 2022
Tell us the type of protection your into so that your fellow women here will learn from it.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by IyaTola: 9:11am On May 30, 2022
undecided
Emma2Seconds:
Tell us the type of protection your into so that your fellow women here will learn from it.
Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Emma2Seconds: 10:43am On May 30, 2022
Talk to us ok or stopping quoting me.
IyaTola:
undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by PARADIZEPRIEST: 11:27am On May 30, 2022
NA SO E DEY START.DONT BRING CURSE UpON YASEF. angry
DO YOU KNOW A LADY DIED LAST WEEK FOR BEING CHILDLESS AND DEPRESSED?

2 Likes

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Happiboispot(m): 11:56am On May 30, 2022
Lols first of all what Will a 38 years old woman be seeking advice here in nairaland when you mom and everyone who cares about you already told you the truth
It this post happens to be true because I know it not then you a very wicked and selfish woman

3 Likes

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by ImaIma1(f): 12:54pm On May 30, 2022
She needs to have the serious discussion with her husband about his mum and how he sees no wrong in what she does, at the expense of his wife.

His mum has no right whatsoever to insult her. Respect is not by age, it is earned. His mother has not earned it.

She should go ahead and have her child. The MIL's threat doesn't count for nothing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Mindlog: 1:03pm On May 30, 2022
On what grounds can a mother-in-law take a child away from the birth mother? :

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Kobojunkie: 1:12pm On May 30, 2022
PARADIZEPRIEST:
NA SO E DEY START.DONT BRING CURSE U[ON YASEF. angry
Rubbish! undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Kobojunkie: 1:25pm On May 30, 2022
Threesha:
But I am writing cos I need your advise.If you were in my shoes,what would you do? I would like to have a child someday cos I love children but I am not sure of the future of this marriage. Having a child in an unhappy or broken home is not my idea. My mother keeps crying every day that my ‘biological clock’ is ticking. That I am being paranoid and selfish. Of course,she is thinking of her grandchildren more than my happiness.

I am exhausted. What should I do? should I have a baby or wait?…or maybe I should even start thinking of ending this marriage?…clearly,the man I call my husband cares more about his mother than he cares about me
Well, do you live your life for others or for yourself? It is unfortunate you and your husband didn't set enough boundaries to keep your in-laws sufficiently out of your lives and your marriage beforehand, but I think it isn't ever too late to begin doing just that. You and Your husband need to sit down together as a couple to redraw the lines as far as your mothers, and other in-laws are concerned. This if a happy union is indeed what you both want. undecided

Also, you need to sit your own mother down and make her understand that she has no right to dictate how your life and choices should go as far as your marriage is concerned. Your husband ought to do same with his own mother so as to afford you both the peace of mind you need to navigate what is your own union, not theirs. undecided

As for having kinds. There are no rules that stipulate peace only comes to a marriage when children are involved. There has never been real evidence to such a claim to begin with so I don't see why folks foolishly rush to bring children into the equation even when it is evident the ground is shaky. undecided

If age is what worries you, there is always surrogacy, adoption, etc if Janet Jackson could carry her own pregnancy at age 50, I don't see why women remain all worked up about these things in this day and age.. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Marley125: 5:14pm On May 30, 2022
Threesha:
From DM
wait till when exactly sis. Oh you want to wait until you won't be able to have kids again at 36 you're still asking if you should have kids serious. Pls you may have money but you need children of your own that will take care of you at old age. As for your mother inlaw. People like this are to be learned if it means you putting up your best attitude when she's around do it for the sake of peace people like her can't be pleased but there's a way you can be at peace with them if only you choose to pls try & make your marriage work leave your position & financial status aside put in your best effort. From what you wrote here you have not putted in your best effort. Sharon big sis
Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On May 30, 2022
Marley125:
wait till when exactly sis. Oh you want to wait until you won't be able to have kids again at 36 you're still asking if you should have kids serious. Pls you may have money but you need children of your own that will take care of you at old age. As for your mother inlaw. People like this are to be learned if it means you putting up your best attitude when she's around do it for the sake of peace people like her can't be pleased but there's a way you can be at peace with them if only you choose to pls try & make your marriage work leave your position & financial status aside put in your best effort. From what you wrote here you have not putted in your best effort. Sharon big sis
Children are proven time and time again as not the best insurance for old age. Those who rather than have kids said up for their old age and retired leave better and are better taken care of than those who sit expecting their children to abandon living their own lives for their sake. undecided
Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by IyaTola: 10:52pm On May 30, 2022
undecided
PARADIZEPRIEST:
NA SO E DEY START.DONT BRING CURSE U[ON YASEF. angry
Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Threesha(f): 6:09pm On May 31, 2022
Mindlog:
On what grounds can a mother-in-law take a child away from the birth mother? :
Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by IyaTola: 12:24am On Aug 14, 2022
wink
Kobojunkie:
Children are proven time and time again as not the best insurance for old age. Those who rather than have kids said up for their old age and retired leave better and are better taken care of than those who sit expecting their children to abandon living their own lives for their sake. undecided
Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Ovieemmanuel: 10:18am On Aug 14, 2022
Too much book.

1 Like

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Ishilove: 10:42am On Aug 14, 2022
Fake story
Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by IyaTola: 1:27pm On Aug 14, 2022
Ishilove:
Fake story
What's fake about the story?
Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by ibechris(m): 1:51pm On Aug 14, 2022
There is no advice that would solve the problem in your home except u personally take your time to find out what made the first wife to leave...if not,u guys might be repeating the same mistake again and again.

U have all the rights to listen to your instincts...as for me,I hate a qurelling home,a place where there is no harmony.

Pray that such a home does not affect your career,because it will soon!
Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by frozen70(f): 1:29am On Aug 15, 2022
Threesha:
From DM

This one weak me

No son, born of a woman will stand by his wife when the wife Insults his mother

Every son has rooted connections with their mother and that's why they get confused when there are quarrels between mother and daughter inlaw

I personally, I think you not wanting child so soon or not caring about being desperate to have a child, made you not to know how to handle your mother inlaw

You are supposed to get married to a white man, who have the same mindset like yours

Your mother inlaw
For talking back to her in that manner, even when she is wrong with her own attitude towards you, is set and ready for you to have problems in that marriage

You actually Insulted her with the way you bulshit her

Such is not acceptable in Nigeria culture

You have to make up your mind to go and apologize to her and reconcile with her and accept her as a mother

Then go with any kind of gifts be it food stuff, provisions and lots of edible gifts to appreciate her as your mother inlaw

Once she accepts your apology, accept her back and ask her to pray for your marriage

The above suggestions can be done only

If you are very sure you love your husband and you don't want to loose him to any woman

Then you start making efforts to get pregnant and that pregnancy will bring absolute peace and happiness in your life and marriage

But if you know that because of your success and status you can't do the above reconciliation with your mother inlaw

Remain in that marriage at your own risk and sadness

Alternatively walk away

Nigeria customs and traditions doesn't support your style, but you will get what you want abroad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Threesha(f): 8:12pm On Aug 16, 2022
frozen70:

This one weak me

No son born if a woman will stand by his wife when the wife Insults his mother

Every son has rooted connections with their mother and that's why they get confused when there are quarrels between mother and daughter inlaw

I personally, I think you not wanting child so soon or not caring about being desperate to have a child, made you not to know how to handle your mother inlaw

You are supposed to get married to a white man, who have the same mindset like yours

Your mother inlaw, for talking back to her in that manner, even when she is wrong with her own attitude towards you, is set and ready for you to have problems in that marriage

You actually Insulted her with the way you bulshit her

Such is not acceptable in Nigeria culture

You have to make up your mind to go and apologize to her and reconcile with her and accept her as a mother

Then go with any ki d of gifts be it food stuff, provisions and lots of edible gifts to appreciate her as your mother inlaw

Once she accepts your apology, accept her back and ask her to pray for your marriage

The above suggestions can only be done only

If you are very sure you love your husband and you don't want to loose him to any woman

Then you start making efforts to get pregnant and that pregnancy will bring absolute peace and happiness in your life and marriage

But if you know that because of your success and status you can't do the above reconciliation with your mother inlaw

Remain in that marriage at your own risk and sadness
Alternatively walk away

Nigeria customs and traditions doesn't support your style, but you will get what you want abroad

We need to move away from the bolded.

1 Like

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by frozen70(f): 9:57pm On Aug 16, 2022
Threesha:
We need to move away from the bolded.

Yes we need to but it's not a battle for one person

Generation to come will deal with it

Even this present generation are already proving that, so gradually it will move with time

2 Likes

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by Threesha(f): 11:04am On Aug 18, 2022
Hopefully
frozen70:

Yes we need to but it's not a battle for one person

Generation to come will deal with it

Even this present generation are already proving that, so gradually it will move with time
Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by jamznato: 5:31am On Aug 20, 2022
ImaIma1:
She needs to have the serious discussion with her husband about his mum and how he sees no wrong in what she does, at the expense of his wife.

His mum has no right whatsoever to insult her. Respect is not by age, it is earned. His mother has not earned it.

She should go ahead and have her child. The MIL's threat doesn't count for no thin ng.

As a woman wen your son or duaghter is fine, doing great, and beyond 40 with no child will you fold your hands and keep quiet. A beg leave respect out of this. Your MIL IS NOT HAPPY because HER SON IS NOT MAKING THE RIGHT PROGRESS. Thats the joy of every mother. That's nonsense she is doing, just occupying space in the mans life. If she give birth to even one or adopt se everybody no go chop breakfast last last. All family has challenges which are solved and more are coming so raising a child in that family is not a good news is common everywhere. It depends on how you scale through challenges. So Stop those nonsense babies acts. Start facing marriage realities. Some of you supporting her one day your son will beat you up becos him marry wife

1 Like

Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by jamznato: 5:40am On Aug 20, 2022
Ovieemmanuel:
Too much book.

Wen dem done read that their stupid book, craziness go just they flow anyhow. Person no go rest again. Common sense go de complicated
Re: Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies by ImaIma1(f): 8:32am On Aug 20, 2022
jamznato:

As a woman wen your son or duaghter is fine, doing great, and beyond 40 with no child will you fold your hands and keep quiet. A beg leave respect out of this. Your MIL IS NOT HAPPY because HER SON IS NOT MAKING THE RIGHT PROGRESS. Thats the joy of every mother. That's nonsense she is doing, just occupying space in the mans life. If she give birth to even one or adopt se everybody no go chop breakfast last last. All family has challenges which are solved and more are coming so raising a child in that family is not a good news is common everywhere. It depends on how you scale through challenges. So Stop those nonsense babies acts. Start facing marriage realities. Some of you supporting her one day your son will beat you up becos him marry wife

As much as a mother wants to be a mother-hen over her child, she has her limits in her child's home. The son opened his eyes and married a 36yr old career woman. If his mother has a problem with her, she should complain to her son instead of constantly insulting the wife.

The husband should be the one discussing baby matters with his wife and not his mother. She is a third party. And the husband has to caution his mother about her constant insults to the wife instead of hiding behind culture. But it seems like he's using his mother to do to his wife what he cannot do himself, and that is why he is not stopping it.

That statement the mother made about seizing the baby shows how much influence she has on her son especially as he cannot even stop her from attacking his wife.

If her son is not making the right progress, who should she be directing her frustrations to? Her son or his wife?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

65 Inches Smart Tv Deal / Polygyny: An Ideal Life Style And Solutions To So Many Social Problems / Abuja, Where Is Santa Claus?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.