Stats: 3,152,994 members, 7,817,944 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security (7014 Views)

Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth / Nigeria’s Economy May Overtake South Africa By 2025 - Morgan Stanley / FG: Nigeria’ll Not Enter Recession (2) (3) (4)

Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by otiigba1(m): 8:14pm On Jul 18, 2011
ok! you can wake up! now! from your day dreaming grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by Builder: 8:35pm On Jul 18, 2011
Even if nigeria have power 100 hours a day we still canot overtake ghana
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by femmy2010(m): 8:47pm On Jul 18, 2011
Builder:

Even if nigeria have power 100 hours a day we still canot overtake ghana

If we have 24 power supply am sure we can do better than Ghana.
The hitherto Companies moving there Factory to Ghana etc would stay back.
Only a fool would not see the potential of great profit in a population of about 200m people.
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 18, 2011
I always laugh whenever I see Nigerians pray for leaders that are not like the majority of them. A bad tree (Nigeria) cannot produce good fruit (citizens) Corruption is institutionalized in Nigeria and the only way things will change is if the entire tree is cut down and regrown (bloody revolution).

That will be too drastic so the status quo will continue. Incompetence and corruption are now virtues in Nigeria. The power and wealth of our elite is inversely proportional to the rot and ills that plague our land. They will do everything tin their power to maintain the status quo. Things will change when Nigerians are fed up and organize a bloody uprising to right the wrongs foisted on our land.
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by wasobia(m): 9:29pm On Jul 18, 2011
Some of us just like to open our mouth and talk nonsense sha. At times i am amazed at the comparison we make between Nigeria and the United States. Its amazingly amazing!

The US is already making an undeniable footprint in Renewable Energy we are still waiting for the day our crude oil will not hold any value again; go to the midwest and see how they are making "ara" in this pursuit. If they should stop for 100 years, we can never meet them.

Throughout the Midwestern States of the US, you would see how they are exploring crude oil without any spillage or environmental concern, go to the troubled Niger Delta area of Nigeria and see all the wonders of oil spillage, killings and what not.

Its really irrational at this level to compare having 24hrs electricity to civility. Look at these statistics!

What a Senator Earns In Nigeria - N29, 479,749. 00 Quarterly (4 times a year)
Basic Salary - N2, 484, 245.50.
Hardship Allowance @ 50% of Basic Salary - N1, 242,122.70 (I love this kind of hardship)
Constituency allowance @ 200% of BS - N4, 968,509.00
Furniture Allowance @ 300% of BS - N7, 452,736.50
Newspaper allowance @ 50% - N1, 242,122.70 (Which kind newspaper be this shey na online or hard copy?).
Wardrobe allowance @ 25% - N621, 061.37
Recess allowance@10% - N248,424.55
Accommodation @ 200% - N4,968,509.00.
Utilities @ 30% - N828, 081.83.
Domestic Staff @ 35% - N863, 184.12.
Entertainment @ 30% - N828, 081.83.
Personal Assistance @ 25% - N621, 061.37.
Vehicle Maintenance Allowance @ 75% - N1, 863,184.12.
Leave Allowance @10% - N248, 424.55.
One off payments (As advised by Sagamite Severance Gratuity) @ 300% - N7, 452,736.50 (Once they get fired.) Motor Vehicle Allowance @ 400% of BS - N9, 936,982.00
Every Four Years Senators Salary per month. - N2, 456,647.70 Total = N29, 479, 749.00
* 109 Senators Grand Total = N 3,264,329,264.

U.S. President: $400,000/yr.
GDP U.S. Economy: $13Trillion/ yr.
Allowance Nig. Senator: $1,500,000/yr.
GDP Nig. Economy: $45 Billion/yr.

Even with 1000 hours supply of electricity, i doubt if we will not go into bankruptcy! Yet they want more!
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by johnsonz: 9:35pm On Jul 18, 2011
[flash=200,200]http://[color=#006600][/color][/flash]If we have 24hours light then the NEPA bill we definitely increase shocked [/b][/i][/s]
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by aljharem3: 9:36pm On Jul 18, 2011
[size=15pt]Lack of electricity is our number one problem – Mr. Emenalo[/size]

By Ebele Orakpo

Inadequate and epileptic power supply has once again been fingered for dampening the entrepreneurial spirit of the average Nigerian. Many who would have loved to go into manufacturing and create jobs for our teeming youths cannot do so because of high cost of production due to inadequate infrastructure.

Many people are therefore into importation of goods from other countries, leaving only the few lion-hearted like Mr. Travis Emenalo, the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of St. Michael Florentyna Products Nigeria Limited and Safe Ridges Industries Limited.

In this chat with Vanguard in Lagos, Mr. Emenalo speaks on the challenges of doing business in Nigeria. Excerpts:

•Mr. Travis Emenalo , the challenges of doing business here are enormous
After his primary school education in Port Harcourt, Mr. Travis Emenalo went on to secondary school also in Port Harcourt. Unfortunately, his education was disrupted as a result of the Nigerian civil war.

He eventually completed his secondary school education at Ansarudeen College, Kano before venturing into the business world.

“I started with cosmetics – Aramis Devin perfume from Milan, Italy before changing to St Michael Florentyna products. Later, I diversified into aluminum sheets manufacturing,” he said.

“When I started dealing in St Michael Florentyna products, I first started with the compact powder which the local people call pancake. Then we went on to loose powder (150g pack and then the 50g pack).

Today, we have a range of products. In our range we have St Michael Florentyna Whitening soap, St Michael Florentyna body powder, St Michael Florentyna hand cream and St Michael Florentyna body spray. We also have St Michael Florentyna eyelashes,” he stated.

Mr. Emenalo is not just into importation of cosmetics, he is also into production.

*Some of the products
“I am into another business, not cosmetics this time though I started with cosmetics before going into other areas. I am into aluminum coils. I have a factory in Owerri, the Imo State capital, where we produce long span aluminum roofing sheets.

The name of the company is Safe Ridges Aluminum, a subsidiary of Safe Ridges Industries Limited while in Lagos I deal in cosmetics under the name of St Michael Florentyna Products Nigeria Limited,” he stated.

Mr. Emenalo who has about 20 people on his payroll in Owerri and has the franchise for St Michael Florentyna products in Nigeria, said his workers are few in Lagos because “we sell in bulk.

We are not retailers so we don’t have many workers. Whenever our consignments arrive, the distributors come to the warehouse to pick them up so we kind of render skeletal services.”

On whether he plans to start cosmetics production in Nigeria, Mr. Emenalo said: “If not that I ventured into the aluminum business, I would have gone into cosmetics production My next line of production will be cosmetics.

I stay in Lagos and I do business in Lagos, that of Owerri is just a subsidiary so I have plans of establishing a cosmetics factory to start production here.”

Speaking on the challenges faced as an importer and a manufacturer, Emenalo noted that power is number one on the list of challenges. “The challenges of doing business here are enormous. Number one is power as it affects production.

We run the business on diesel-powered generators and a litre is now about N160.00. In the area of importation, we are having some handicaps with regards to foreign exchange. As I’m talking to you now, we don’t even know the price of dollar today because it keeps moving. As at yesterday (July 12), it moved three times and ended at N167.00 to a dollar.

“So it is better to start production here but again, we have the power issue to grapple with.

Another thing is, if you want to start production, so many things are involved. You have to get land, put up the structure and import the machines. All these will need a lot of money,” he said.

He said if the proper infrastructure are put in place by the relevant authorities, the private sector will be able to create jobs and boost the nation’s economy.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/lack-of-electricity-is-our-number-one-problem-mr-emenalo/
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by johnsonz: 9:41pm On Jul 18, 2011
Nigeria can never have 24 hour light , if we light then NEPA bill we increase automatically
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by aribisala0(m): 10:09pm On Jul 18, 2011
i will overtake dangote if i have $15billion
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by kcjazz(m): 10:25pm On Jul 18, 2011
Overtake ko undertake ni. We have gotten to a place where we think as a country 24 hour light will solve all our problems. Sorry, it does not work that way. 24 hour light is just a start. No bank will give you a loan to start a business because you have 24 hour light.
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by Danni2: 10:25pm On Jul 18, 2011
Constant electricity alone cannot solve Nigeria's hydra-headed problems, BUT IT CAN BE A 'GAME-CHANGER' FOR NIGERIA. It is doing it for many countries. The 'mega-watt' question is: WHO WILL DELIVER THIS ALL-IMPORTANT SERVICE, AND WHEN?
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by BLECINS(f): 11:39pm On Jul 18, 2011
The Earth is spherical, True
The Earth rotates, True
Assuming that a machine was responsible for the rotation of the earth
Imagine what will happen if Nigerian Government were saddled with the sole responsibility of driving that machine
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They will wake up one morning with a flimsy excuse that the machine could not be powered ??
This will imply that Nigeria may have to stay for a whole day of total sunlight or perhaps a whole month of total sunlight; or even a whole year of total sunlight; i still dey laffffffffffffff.
So pathetic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
100% POWER SUPPLY + ABSOLUTE CORRUPTION = SYSTEM FAILURE
MAY GOD HELP NIGERIA
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by Kobojunkie: 11:42pm On Jul 18, 2011
Dream on! grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by sbeezy8: 11:47pm On Jul 18, 2011
im soo tired of people saying if this n that . .
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by ifebosco: 12:56am On Jul 19, 2011
El Guapo:

Yeah!! I agree firmly with the poster angry
esperaba algo mejor de una persona que vive en madrid. ya que por lo menos sabes la diferencia entre pobreza relativo y pobreza absulota gracias
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by ak47mann(m): 2:00am On Jul 19, 2011
This idiots should stop disgracing ngerians the world will think every Nigerian is as stupid as this our govt officials
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by agentmag: 5:47am On Jul 19, 2011
I dey laugh ooooo. constant light plus insincerity leaders and fraudulent youths and we overtake US
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by Sike(m): 7:22am On Jul 19, 2011
For Where?? Abeg try sumtin beta. . 50yrz to cummm. . .same old story.
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by stkris(m): 9:48am On Jul 19, 2011
@ OP
That is a huge lie

Nigeria's problem isn't the isolated fact that power and security are lacking, but the "mentality" of the typical Nigerian which brings about everything "failed."

. .If only Nigeria was the 8th largest exporter of petroleum in the world, we would have enough resources to overtake the US. . Oh! i forgot. . we are.
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by Oritna94(m): 10:15am On Jul 19, 2011
i dey laugh 4 urhobo. grin na beans?
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by crispgg: 10:33am On Jul 19, 2011
I dont think the US has any reason to worry about us overtaking them. I dont believe that having power alone will make us overtake the US economy o, but even if that is the case. I dont see us having 24 hours power supply in the near future.
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by Reference(m): 12:05pm On Jul 19, 2011
Another one! Well asteroid K2157 is reportedly headed for mainland united States. angry
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by kpolli(m): 1:21pm On Jul 19, 2011
give me $5billion and I would speak chinese better than the Chinese,
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by hackney(m): 5:23pm On Jul 19, 2011
No true electronic product can be made in nigeria judging by the loud-mouth graduates they produce.

Nnewi can only put rods together, nothing extra-fancy there.
Aba na to make copies except with electronics (them no fit)

No black nation has constant electricity anyway, including the caribbeans.
Monkeys.
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by UpDates1(m): 12:41am On Jul 20, 2011
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by jaywee(m): 7:08am On Jul 20, 2011
I don't mean to be pessimistic but in reality, it's a long shot. It takes more than just having 24hr electricity and security to overtake the USA's economy. There's a whole lot more to contend with, both locally and internationally. There's China, Japan, Singapore, Brazil, and even our neighbouring South Africa to meet up to, let alone overtake. There's the question of education. And by that, I don't mean classroom lessons - I mean being informed and knowledgeable. It's not impossible, not in the nearest future at least, but I must remind you that the US have come a very long way to be where they are today. It's not something we can achieve overnight by just switching the lights on permanently.
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 20, 2011
^^^^

Nigeria can as well apply juju cos it works for Ghana game!

Dream on guy!
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by nzeaji(m): 12:18am On Jul 21, 2011
undecidedme think, if we can manage to have and maintain 24 hours electricity, we've solved half of our problems. the remaining half will simply fall into place. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by Gbenge77(m): 7:17am On Jul 21, 2011
While 24 hr electricity would advance Nigeria,economically,its a pipedream to think that it would amount to Nigeria overtaking the Usa.
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by eewule(m): 3:03pm On Jul 21, 2011
In addition to constant electricity, we will also need about 10years to archieve such a dream.
There is a limit to how much developement Nigeria can accomplish (due to the mentality of our people -
ethnicity, favouritism, selfishness, etc.) 

We dont really need to rule the world and become the most advanced nation (as with the US)
The good things with we nigerians is that :  If less than half the developments in the US could be archieved in Nigeria,
our people will live a far more happier and satisfied life than people do in the U.S today.  All we ask is for an
enabling environment, (the opportunity for us to take care of ourselves) - jobs - stable power supply - security of lives and property/ reasonable roads and transport system/
acceptable working educational system and facilities,   

If we only can archive these, the sky will be the limit for evry man woman and child in Nigeria
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by aribisala0(m): 11:28am On Jul 22, 2011
it cannot overtake a reversing trailer
Re: Nigeria’ll Overtake US If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security by monopolist: 3:36pm On Jul 22, 2011
The Biggest Challenge of Nigerians is

*HUNGERDARKNESSCORRUPTION

The how to Overcome it is

***FOODLIGHTDISCIPLINE

, and this can only be done by ANOINTED CHANGE CHAMPIONS

What Profitable Business Can 500k Do In Lagos? / Consult us & Register Your Business Today For Loans And To Achieve Legal Entity / Diaper Business: How Lucrative?