Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,064 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa (18638 Views)

Bayo Onanuga Accuses Thisday/Arise Of "Hypocritical Grandstanding" / Suleiman Musa Nasko: Constituents Chase Niger State Lawmaker Out Of Community / Salihu Lukman: How Fani-Kayode’s Defection To APC Was Stalled (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by powerfulguy: 7:05pm On Jun 02, 2022
I hope you are keeping safe and well as you adjust into your new office in Nigeria’s ruling party.

My name is Suleiman Musa and I am from Kaduna State. I read your widely shared open letter to the President, where you shared your thoughts about how you think his successor should be chosen.

As I am sure you are aware, it has triggered a lot of debates nationwide. It has been perceived in different ways by different people depending on their political persuasions and the interests they represent.

As someone who is an activist from the Northwest like you and who admires your prolific writing capability from a distance, I felt I should offer you some words of counsel. First is to alert you that the dominant public perception is that your letter appears quite disrespectful to the person and office of Mr President.

As a senior member of the party, I am aware that you have several channels that you can use to offer him any suggestions as may be necessary to guide him in any decision that affects the party and country.

Your choice to write an open letter suggests that you are deliberately intent on whipping up cheap sentiments and playing to the gallery. Secondly, you came across as entirely disingenuous to have benefitted from consensus just a few weeks ago only to turn around to criticize the same process that brought you to office.

I am sure that Nigerians would have taken you more seriously if you had insisted on an open contest during the last convention. Curiously, you did not and that made your position untenable. Furthermore, all the governors chose their successors through consensus, and you did not raise any objection. Doing so now portrays you as a hypocrite.

For the avoidance of doubt, Mr President solicited the reciprocity and support of the governors and other stakeholders in choosing his successor. The request was unambiguous. He is the chooser and has not invited anyone to interfere in his right to choose.

All over the world, a President has a right to identify someone who he or she feels can continue to consolidate on what he or she has achieved. Nigeria is no peculiar case.

However, this is politics, and it is also within your right to interpret the President’s statement differently or even attempt to blackmail him into pursuing your obviously self-serving proposal. As you acknowledged in your letter, governors exercised the privilege of picking their successors in their respective states.

Yet, you worry that allowing the President to exercise the same right will amount to allowing loyal party leaders and members to become ordinary observers when sensitive issues are being considered. Do you mean politics at the state level are less sensitive? Is internal democracy exclusively preserved for the centre? Many of you claim to be familiar with President Buhari, yet you keep misunderstanding his disposition to inclusiveness as if it is a weakness. That is wrong and potentially misleading.

Your implicit comparison of Mr President’s resolve to exercise his right to freedom to choose a successor to former President Obasanjo’s failed third term bid exposes your desperation and calculated mischief.

Furthermore, your reference to unity, internal democracy and moral standing made the letter hollow and laughable because every discerning politician could easily decipher your motive to prosecute a rehearsed political hatchet job.

I am sure Mr. President himself will not read your letter beyond the first paragraph. I want to assure you that President Buhari continues to enjoy wide respect among the party leadership, and it is expected that he will get the necessary support when he announces his preferred choice of successor soon.

Your stance in the letter further deepens the perception of the pathology of duplicity and chameleonic tendencies often associated with your known backers in this futile proxy war against Mr President.

My little word of caution is for you to understand the limits of political mercantilism. It does not look good to cast aspersions on the Leader of the party and country at a very sensitive period like this.

Finally, I suggest that you consider being circumspect in your speeches lest you mislead the public into assuming that your position reflects how things stand in the party. I am aware that you know the consequences of questioning Presidential authority and should not allow your letter to be seen in such a light.

My prayer is that you re-consider your current posturing and immediately apologize to President Buhari. I wish you the very best in your current position and future endeavours. Best wishes.

https://dailypost.ng/2022/06/02/suleiman-musa-salihu-lukman-and-his-grandstanding-over-buharis-successor/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1654192807

8 Likes

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by Howtoday(f): 7:06pm On Jun 02, 2022
Ok

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by money121(m): 7:16pm On Jun 02, 2022
Seen

Awon ojelu

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by Ogamysamo: 7:17pm On Jun 02, 2022
emotional blackmail political blackmail supportive blackmail
all this to win primary election not even a direct ticket to aso

3 Likes

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by lonecatt(m): 9:35pm On Jun 02, 2022
buhari is trying to protect aso rock from being hijacked by a known thief just as he hijacked major assets of lagos state.

we are even talking about buhari making choice of candidate, how about tinubu openly and arrogantly deciding who becomes governor of lagos state .

he disgraced ambode and chased out other candidates contesting primaries with sanwolu the present lagos state government yet no one is coughing.

Some people are just too criminal in nature to hold sensitive positions, they can even convert the central bank of Nigeria to their personal property.

258 Likes 49 Shares

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 9:35pm On Jun 02, 2022
First I wanna to correct that impression that "dominant people see it as an insult to the office of the presidency not president"..

I like to say we nairalanders were shocked just like the presidency.. We don't see it as an insult,we were just shocked.

Secondly we both know that are no channels to reach him...Ear infection and boss is hardly around.. Envision an adventurer for starters

Thirdly I will advise you stop drinking panadol for another man's headache not just another man,oga boss!..His tenure will come and go.

Lastly not only did the presidency not read past the first paragraph,we know letter did not pass second gate at the Aso villa..

Thanks for letting us know you are a senior member of the ndi oshi cartel....More grease to your stealing elbows

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by planetE(m): 9:35pm On Jun 02, 2022
Divide NIGERIA and let every region dey on its own. A united Nigeria can never be great regardless of who oversees its national affairs.

11 Likes

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by TheGiftedOne(m): 9:36pm On Jun 02, 2022
Political headlines be flying up and down on NL.

make una fire down while I keep scheming how to step out of the border of this nonsense called country. Wish you all the best in your bids to Nigeria work.

My utmost prayer is for Matthew 6:10 to happen quickly.
Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by gerrardomendes(m): 9:36pm On Jun 02, 2022
No time
Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jun 02, 2022
grin
Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by heydays: 9:38pm On Jun 02, 2022
Breakfast about to be served cheesy
Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by LogoDWhiz(m): 9:39pm On Jun 02, 2022
This is interesting.

Sweet

1 Like

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by Samakus(m): 9:41pm On Jun 02, 2022
It's chameleonic and dastardly to benefit from or support concensus arrangement in your state only to cry foul when it is tried at the centre because it won't obviously benefit you.

Double faced, moronic and annoyingly evil politicians everywhere

4 Likes

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by NwokoloOwa: 9:41pm On Jun 02, 2022
Shut up there. I hate nonsense. Why didn't the President say this several weeks ago. Why does he always allow things to go south before coming up with dislocated solutions. He did it during Sarakis election as SP, during Adamus election as party chairman and now. Must he allow things to 'spoil' and 'waste' before coming up with his own ideas. It's not good for the party. At all.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by Mikolo70(m): 9:42pm On Jun 02, 2022
Who is this woneeee!? #inmyBeninVoice
Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by shinealight(m): 9:44pm On Jun 02, 2022
powerfulguy:

https://dailypost.ng/2022/06/02/suleiman-musa-salihu-lukman-and-his-grandstanding-over-buharis-successor/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1654192807

The President does not have any “right” to seek to choose a successor….in a democracy, that right belongs to the people and they must be allowed to exercise it. Goons like you Suleiman Musa should also desist from turning Buhari into a demigod.
What Nonsense! shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by Bar1941(m): 9:44pm On Jun 02, 2022
Anything short of Tinubu emergence as APC presidential candidate is a doom for the party. Buhari will lose even in his native Katsina state.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by Samakus(m): 9:47pm On Jun 02, 2022
shinealight:

The President does not have any “right” to seek to choose successor….in a democracy, that right belongs to the people and they must be allowed to exercise it. Goons like you Suleiman Musa should also desist from turning Buhari into a demigod.
What Nonsense! shocked shocked

Did you read where he reckoned that the same Salihu Lukman recently benefited from the same 'consensus arrangement' he is writing the President against?

What do you have to say about that?

5 Likes

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jun 02, 2022
[/b]Your stance in the letter further deepens the perception of the pathology of duplicity and chameleonic tendencies often associated with your known backers in this futile proxy war against Mr President.[b]

Can someone interpret this? grin

3 Likes

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by vertueptime: 9:51pm On Jun 02, 2022
Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by duro4chang(m): 9:52pm On Jun 02, 2022
We as the people have the right to choose our president.
Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by GreenCovering: 9:52pm On Jun 02, 2022
powerfulguy:

First is to alert you that the dominant public perception is that your letter appears quite disrespectful to the person and office of Mr Presidentutm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1654192807

Please quit this deifying of Buhari. He doesn't need this in his list of achievements, very laudable though imho.

powerfulguy:

He is the chooser and has not invited anyone to interfere in his right to choose.

Like he chose to choose himself in 2015 right? No he rallied support from the people who matter some of whom were close to him in popularity even at the time.

powerfulguy:

I want to assure you that President Buhari continues to enjoy wide respect among the party leadership

If this remained true then the primaries would have since held.

powerfulguy:

I am aware that you know the consequences of questioning Presidential authority

I can see a veiled threat in this line. I sense a breach of trust here, which is very unlike the north, but which is where they (the Buhari camp) find themselves. So it's like damning the consequences of such a breach.

2 Likes

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by TheNiceGuy(m): 9:53pm On Jun 02, 2022
angry
Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by shinealight(m): 9:56pm On Jun 02, 2022
Samakus:

Did you read where he reckoned that the same Salihu Lukman recently benefited from the same 'consensus arrangement' he is writing the President against?

What do you have to say about that?

I don’t care about what Lukman does or does not do! Point is Buhari does not have the right to seek to choose a successor particularly after failing woefully to deliver any of the promises made to Nigerians in 2015 and 2019. Who needs the recommendation of a calamitous failure? He should just quietly go back to Daura and try to hide his face from public view as much as possible after that! undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by OmovuduTheBeast(f): 9:57pm On Jun 02, 2022
Tilumpoo online warriors are all useless miscreants!

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by Samakus(m): 10:06pm On Jun 02, 2022
shinealight:

I don’t care about what Lukman does or does not do! Point is Buhari does not have the right to seek to choose a successor particularly after failing woefully to deliver any of the promises made to Nigerians in 2015 and 2019. Who needs the recommendation of a calamitous failure? He should just quietly go back to Daura and try to hide his face from public view as much as possible after that! undecided undecided

You're shifting the goalpost

1 Like

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by Sunnyja: 10:07pm On Jun 02, 2022
Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by McLizbae: 10:07pm On Jun 02, 2022
No No! Buhari should not be allowed to do anything again! Infact, plans should be made to forget everything about buhari after the elections in 2023!

If buhari is allowed to choose among the Southern contestants, he will surely choose someone he is sure will be a walkover for Atiku.

By now we should all understand that if buhari said No to something, that thing is surely good for Nigeria as a country.

1 Like

Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by Sunnyja: 10:09pm On Jun 02, 2022
Shayetet13:
[/b]Your stance in the letter further deepens the perception of the pathology of duplicity and chameleonic tendencies often associated with your known backers in this futile proxy war against Mr President.[b]

It means that a so called national leader is "Cumming".
Re: Salihu Lukman And His Grandstanding Over Buhari’s Successor - Suleiman Musa by ChoCho54(f): 10:10pm On Jun 02, 2022
Shayetet13:

There's no prize for telling.

Tinubu is not a democratic person himself. He can't be choosing who governs SW states year after year, and expect buhari not to...

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dogara Deducts Lawmaker's Salaries - Jibrin / Dele Momodu's Dinner In Celebration Of His Doctorate Degree In Ghana (Honorary) / Nigerian Governors Meet In Abuja(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.