Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,945 members, 7,952,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:46 AM

End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) (50433 Views)

Nigeria's Facial Scars: The Last Generation (viewers discretion!) / Iru Kingdom: The End Of A Dominating Dynasty / Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Propertyforum: 3:18pm On Jun 03, 2022
Interesting article
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by geosegun(m): 3:25pm On Jun 03, 2022
beylinko02:
I have two facial marks on each of my cheeks. In my early days, I felt so terrible with them but now, I have grown to appreciate them.
The story behind the marks is that I had convulsions when I was little and grandma had to mark me to save my life.

It makes you look more innocent and beautiful.

1 Like

Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by whodeyhere: 3:36pm On Jun 03, 2022
beylinko02:
I have two facial marks on each of my cheeks. In my early days, I felt so terrible with them but now, I have grown to appreciate them.
The story behind the marks is that I had convulsions when I was little and grandma had to mark me to save my life.

MODIFIED: That's not me up there, it's a random pics from the net. I am a guy and my marks look very cute. I can say I am a handsome dude that would not pass for an average looking guy Moreover, the lady up here is beautiful

same story as mine.
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Ndibuna: 3:43pm On Jun 03, 2022
Mrtaye:

Which one be deformity abi bomb dey your head ni
Look like you have a deformity. Tiger scratch faced Afonjja grin cheesy na omo full your skull
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Ndibuna: 3:43pm On Jun 03, 2022
Thinkam:

Because of the way society views them currently, in the southwest precolonial Era, tribal mark was a sign of beauty for male and female..
Good response at least wink

1 Like

Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Freerhyme1(m): 3:50pm On Jun 03, 2022
Afonja top the lists grin >: grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Akanoaaa(m): 4:05pm On Jun 03, 2022
beylinko02:

MODIFIED: That's not me up there, it's a random pics from the net. I am a guy and my marks look very cute. I can say I am a handsome dude that would not pass for an average looking guy Moreover, the lady up here is beautiful

Mine wasn't about convulsion, it's just normal mark and I love it so much. It makes me more handsome.

1 Like

Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Morningstarrr(m): 4:12pm On Jun 03, 2022
Some tribal marks are actually sexy. Especially that of Edo culture

1 Like

Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by ViceGovernor: 4:17pm On Jun 03, 2022
saintkeppy:
It's very common in Oyo Township &Ogbomosho Town. Very wicked Facial Marks, looking like Vampires.
After Oyo I think kogi state is the next with most tribal marks grin
Igala and ebira people if you see expressway on their faces u go pity them
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by SugarGirl44(f): 4:17pm On Jun 03, 2022
Vyzz:
grin

Yoruba people are slowly losing their culture..
These is something every proud yoruba man or woman hold wear proudly on his or her face...

We would gladly lose this type of culture.
More worrisome is the fact that our children's mother tongue is now English, and the parents now give them all sorts of foreign names like Flowers, Jayden, Abdulai, Daniela, Amir etc.

Would Arab or English people ever give yoruba names to their kids? Never!
So why do we have to lick their ass?
Some would say it's cos of religion, but it actually shows low self worth.

2 Likes

Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by ViceGovernor: 4:22pm On Jun 03, 2022
I also have some on my face right beside both eyes my grandma gave them to me.
They said it's some spiritual type to stop me from stealing when I was a boy that time there's nothing I can't or won't steal cheesy I think it actually worked cause I stopped moving things after I got it
beylinko02:

2 Likes

Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Cchp: 4:29pm On Jun 03, 2022
Macsjebs:
Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-61229617
Some of these marks na better correct scores them carry for face.
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Silentgroper(m): 4:34pm On Jun 03, 2022
Lol... Which ban.. I saw an 18yr old girl that has tribal mark on both side of d cheek sometimes last month around ogun state. That ban is definitely nt active..
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:35pm On Jun 03, 2022
SosoKaranuli:
I actually like facial scars and hope the tradition continues. It's not much different from tattoos and other types of body modifications.

What's wrong is that it's done to children. It should be consensual and for adults only. Similar to the Maui in New Zealand.

I totally agree with you. Are you on facebook any chance. Let us connect please for cultural reasons
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:37pm On Jun 03, 2022
uchaymart:
Mine is almost faded...I am so happy

You are a loser.
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:38pm On Jun 03, 2022
Ndibuna:

You don't have choice than to like your deformity. There is nothing else you can do about it

I am proud of my tribal marks and I have given my children the same.

I pity your upbringing
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Silentgroper(m): 4:46pm On Jun 03, 2022
an0daGuy:
What ! End of wetin? undecided

It’s like this op hasn’t encountered the current crop of vibrant afonja offsprings from deep inside the hinterlands of ijebu this last decade.

Wa Ogbeni, check am well oh. You sure say no be spit dem dey try throway wey resemble as if dem dey drool for your eye so? shocked
My broda. U wicked oloun!

1 Like

Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by MtDave55: 4:47pm On Jun 03, 2022
Macsjebs:
Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-61229617

Among all of these i believe the position where the igbo make thiers is the better
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by betshopagent(m): 4:55pm On Jun 03, 2022
Yoruba carry 1st for this one.
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Cantonese: 5:17pm On Jun 03, 2022
Please can someone tell us the names of the different tribal marks?
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by IkeIgboNile(m): 5:40pm On Jun 03, 2022
I don't have any mark on my body and i won't give my children any mark too. I will rather give them strong Igbo names and ensure that they speak and understand igbo no matter where they are born,that's how i plan on protecting my culture and value.
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Belial06: 5:43pm On Jun 03, 2022
SosoKaranuli:
I actually like facial scars and hope the tradition continues. It's not much different from tattoos and other types of body modifications.

What's wrong is that it's done to children. It should be consensual and for adults only. Similar to the Maui in New Zealand.

Do you want to see the stab wound , slash mark scars on my face?
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Buffalo2(m): 6:12pm On Jun 03, 2022
saintkeppy:
It's very common in Oyo Township &Ogbomosho Town. Very wicked Facial Marks, looking like Vampires.
You are 100% right. In Oyo, they'll even tattoo ur address on ur stomach
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Buffalo2(m): 6:13pm On Jun 03, 2022
beylinko02:

They call it Kobomoje
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Mrtaye: 6:57pm On Jun 03, 2022
Ndibuna:

Look like you have a deformity. Tiger scratch faced Afonjja grin cheesy na omo full your skull
I was correct
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by ofwest47(m): 7:05pm On Jun 03, 2022
I like and love my tribal mark.
( A sing song: Ti aba sonu ki a ri ara wa he; ni Ibarapa se nkoo ila, ti a ba sonu ki a ri ara wa he) ie if you get lost some where, and with your tribal marks and you are discovered by a co person who had the same tribal marks like yours and that will be a great success for your life as he will be ready to help you.
I remembered during my visit to Europe I met with a fellow Yoruba man with the same tribal marks like my own and we became very close together and I enjoyed my stay in that European country as the man in question was always ready to help me to go from here to the others.
So tribal marks is a big Yoruba culture.

2 Likes

Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Ndibuna: 7:11pm On Jun 03, 2022
PAGAN9JA:

I am proud of my tribal marks and I have given my children the same.

I pity your upbringing
Pity your scratch face tribal mark tongue
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by akaahs(m): 8:10pm On Jun 03, 2022
beylinko02:

Me and my immediate younger brother was because we are frequently sick.
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Bbbw: 9:06pm On Jun 03, 2022
Ugly marks
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by ASAPFERG: 9:53pm On Jun 03, 2022
Death prnalty should be issued to people who still do tribal mark
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:17pm On Jun 03, 2022
ofwest47:
I like and love my tribal mark.
( A sing song: Ti aba sonu ki a ri ara wa he; ni Ibarapa se nkoo ila, ti a ba sonu ki a ri ara wa he) ie if you get lost some where, and with your tribal marks and you are discovered by a co person who had the same tribal marks like yours and that will be a great success for your life as he will be ready to help you.
I remembered during my visit to Europe I met with a fellow Yoruba man with the same tribal marks like my own and we became very close together and I enjoyed my stay in that European country as the man in question was always ready to help me to go from here to the others.
So tribal marks is a big Yoruba culture.

Such a positive story! Let us preserve this treasure of our ancestors and pass it on.
Re: End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) by Albertone(m): 10:24pm On Jun 03, 2022
beylinko02:

So you carry scoreboard for face.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Weds Wuraola Otiti In Benin (Photos) / Micheal Ameh Oboni Dies! The Attah Of Igala Is Dead / What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.