Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,361 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Wrong Car Problem Diagnoses And Eventual Solution To Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Wrong Car Problem Diagnoses And Eventual Solution To Problem (463 Views)

What's Your Wrong Car Painting Experience And In Which City? / This Car Problem Has No Solution So Far. / Bmw Owners Your Car Problem Is Solved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wrong Car Problem Diagnoses And Eventual Solution To Problem by Nyceguy92: 4:12am On Jun 07, 2022
Have you had issues with your vehicle when your mechanic told you to replace parts which did not solve the problem?
Have you also had the experience where, maybe, you went to another mechanic and it came out that the initial diagnosis was wrong and you only needed just very small amount to you fix your car problem?

This situation happens all the time and if we share our experiences here, we may make more informed decisions in future.
So tell us about your car problems and how you solved them eventually.

I once had very little braking power and my pedal was flooring.
I went to a reputable auto workshop that concluded my front brake calipers were binding and needed replacing.
Not a big deal as I can do a brake job. But that did not solve the problem so I spent money for nothing .

I went to another mechanic who found out my problem was the brake booster: it was leaking air.
Booster was replaced and brake was excellent thereafter.

Now this bombshell. Recently I began to have a hammering noise from the rear that increased and decreased with speed.
I was almost sure it came from the shaft or the wheel bearing.

One big auto shop I went to said I needed to replace the rear subframe after showing me a minor defect in the frame. I was not convinced because that did not explain the dynamic nature of the noise.

My regular mechanic was sure it was the rear differential going bad. After replacing rear differential, the noise persisted.
Now there is this elderly man on my street that does repairs at home. He used to have a workshop but closed it for lack of accountability by his employees. I went to him. He threw a mat underneath the car and disappeared to check things.
In less than 3 minutes, he came out with his verdict.

Guess what I have spent so much money on to no avail: the emergency brake cable was rubbing on the wheel on driver's side and causing the noise. I then recalled that I had complained to my mechanic that the emergency brake was not working and he tried to follow the cable to see if it was broken. He must have dislodged the clip or whatever mechanism that held the cable in place away from the wheel.

All that was done was move the cable away and secure it somehow. You can imagine how very little it cost me as I did not buy ay parts.

The lesson here is that car problems can spring a surprise and mechanics do make wrong diagnoses that cost us unnecessarily, especially if they did not take time to do a thorough inspection. It won't hurt to seek a second, or even third, opinion before embarking on repairs that may be expensive. This is more so if you doubt the diagnosis. Also go to experienced and trusted hands.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Wrong Car Problem Diagnoses And Eventual Solution To Problem by fineboynl(m): 6:53am On Jun 07, 2022
If a Nigerian mechanic repair your car. Just know that they have spoiled another thing in that car.

(1) (Reply)

Opel Zafira / How To Start A Profitable Car Tracker Installation Business In Nigeria / Item sold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.