Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,379 members, 7,815,806 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

My Narcissistic Brother - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Narcissistic Brother (28104 Views)

30 Traits Of A Narcissistic Parent / 8 Toxic Ways Narcissistic Mothers Emotionally Abuse Their Children / Narcissistic Personality Disorder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by chukwuibuipob: 11:28am On Jun 11, 2022
sad too much ingredients Dey spoil soup.Ur mum is NOT helping @ all.She sow Evil and reaping it now.He’ll continue to STEAL till they catch him outside
Re: My Narcissistic Brother by arthurwillia(m): 11:28am On Jun 11, 2022
Asquare84:
A university graduate typed this episode with alot of uncoordinated sentence.

You left the whole discussion and focused on uncoordinated sentences, Omo you be moomoo oo
Very uncoordinated one at that.

4 Likes

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by Kingpele(m): 11:30am On Jun 11, 2022
Both of you is selfish, u enjoyed been the one more loved by your parents more than your elder brother..your mum is the only one who truly loves him ..unfortunately he too is very childish but he is still your brother, all of you in his life ,some try your best to help him come out of this dark circles he found himself ,by praying for him, talking to him with love as he will realise that you guys means well for him

1 Like

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by Kingpele(m): 11:30am On Jun 11, 2022
Both of you is selfish, u enjoyed been the one more loved by your parents more than your elder brother..your mum is the only one who truly loves him ..unfortunately he too is very childish but he is still your brother, all of you in his life ,should try your best to help him come out of this dark circles he found himself ,by praying for him, talking to him with love as he will realise that you guys means well for him

1 Like

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by 6ixT8: 11:30am On Jun 11, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Honestly a badly trained male child is 500 times worst than a badly trained female child.

I beg to disagree bro. Lemme assume this as an hyperbole.

1 Like

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by Killerbag36: 11:30am On Jun 11, 2022
Moonshine101:
Hello Everyone!

I have a family issue but I don't have someone to speak to about it, so I'm very grateful for your inputs on this matter.

SOME BACKSTORY (You can skip this if you want):
I'm the youngest of my two siblings (26M). I have a sister and a brother. My sister's kinda okay. My brother (35) is a selfish, toxic and entitled person. He dropped out from the university, doesn't have a job and he steals from my parents like my dad's watches or property or my mum's jewellery and then sells them to buy weed or something.

One time he sold my mum's car and after some police and legal issue that basically went nowhere, she basically had to steal it back (The guy who bought it, passed away a little while after, so I guess that case is closed..), he once took my phone while I was sleeping because I refused to give him a different phone I had, that belongs to me after selling his own phone or something. It's like he acts solely on impulse. My dad (who's in his 70s now) is almost always on security alert when my brother is around. As for my mom, she just straight up enables him and bails him out of trouble every time, saying things like "He's your brother" or "God will change him" when I talk to her about it. My brother and I got into a fight, like a year before I left for university, because he wanted to look around my room to see if I had his usb cable despite me telling him I don't have it nor have I seen it. That was the last time I willingly spoke to him.

My family moved into a new house and I finally left for school (my brother stayed in the old house and my sister moved in with her husband after marriage, so it was just him over there). During my 3rd year, I called my dad, asking him for some money because I was broke, and during the phone call, my dad tells me that he's at the hospital cuz my brother and some girl just had a kid. okay.. I came back for holidays and found out that his baby mama (who's also toxic and insults people alot) and kid, my nephew, are staying with us, with my parents providing for them while my brother stays in the older house, renting it out to people (who messed up the house and compound to the point it just became a disgusting place to live in) obviously without permission from my parents (who don't even own that house, it belongs to my uncle). By the time I graduated and came back home, he was now living with us in the new house because free food and no bills, I guess.

I haven't gotten a job yet so I'm stuck here.

Recently, he's been staying away from me because I don't talk to him or even look at him.

BACK TO THE TOPIC:
Around a year ago, I had a serious wakeup call and decided that, if I was going to go forward in life I would have to better myself so I began a journey of meditation and self-improvement, and I think I've made some good progress. Now the issue is my brother---earlier today, I saw him scouting our house (after my parents went out) and I could instantly tell he was up to no good. I was cooking when I began to hear some noise from upstairs like he was hacking at something. He came downstairs and readied his car while my cousin who stays with us (19) carried the AC unit my brother was planning to sell.
Usually I'll just mind my business and avoid him because he's an adult-child (narcissist) and I think he'll just put his vindictive sights on me if I interfere, but this time I don't know what came over me..

I called my cousin and demanded where he was taking that AC to. I then asked my brother (first time in years I've spoken to him) why he was taking it, he just gave one nonsense flimsy excuse then I told my cousin to return it. When he tried to explain whatever, I didn't acknowledge his presence, I just ignored him and ate my food. He just stood there staring at me for like 3 minutes before he left while murmuring something.

The main reason I've been avoiding him for long is because he's toxic and I decided that family or not, toxicity is still toxicity. He's very exploitative and once he familiarises with someone it's like an opening to trample the person's boundaries. I think I confronted him today because the more you ignore bad/evil the stronger it becomes and eventually it will come for you except now it'll be stronger from all the experience.

The issue is, I don't want to relapse into my old life of toxicity by further engaging him if he decides to steal from me on get physical because he's the kind of person that only listens to actions, not words.
Please, what do you think I do?

Bro sorry he does CRACK take him to rehab nd send him away from that community never to come back home nd engage with hand work over there finish if not na market e de go so please go read metal disorder nd there various type plus sign nd symptoms only then u will understand .
Re: My Narcissistic Brother by luminouz(m): 11:32am On Jun 11, 2022
Asquare84:
Will you just shut dafuq up and learn from the story??

Where has your university education brought you so far, aproko?

6 Likes

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by TechbI0gger: 11:32am On Jun 11, 2022
faithfull18:
Work on getting a job or skill that enables you to earn, so you can move.
move away and leave his old age parents to the mercy of his heartless brother?
moonshine101 kindly disregard this foolish comment I am quoting.
get a job, stay with your parents and watch over them, save and invest with your money.
don't leave your parents to that criminal.
What he needs is a mental rehabilitation center

1 Like

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by Usorohtheman(m): 11:32am On Jun 11, 2022
Your Bros is not mentally okay...He needs help...I can help...
Re: My Narcissistic Brother by TechbI0gger: 11:33am On Jun 11, 2022
Klass99:

But his presence serves as a good deterrent and buffer for the aged parents na.
God bless you for this.
cc Moonshine101

1 Like

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by Killerbag36: 11:34am On Jun 11, 2022
Asquare84:

U sha bi fool sha waiting b ur biz with his typing if u no get advice to give him why not focus buy sniper nd drink so u mk front page I weak for ur conditions sha

1 Like

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by Nobody: 11:34am On Jun 11, 2022
Asquare84:

Something is actually wrong with you! What's poor English here? The young lady wrote well.

2 Likes

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by jimb(m): 11:37am On Jun 11, 2022
Where exactly re you in Enugu?
Re: My Narcissistic Brother by iRepNaija1: 11:38am On Jun 11, 2022
OP, there is not much you can do. Throughout your write-up, you don't mention an instance where you've seen him using drugs. But regardless of whether he's a drug user or not, your brother's actions are indeed selfish, entitled, and self-centered. Just reading this makes me frustrated on your behalf.

As far as I'm concerned, both your parents enable his behavior, perhaps your mother to a greater degree. But I'm not understanding other people's responses, saying the situation is solely on the mother's shoulders. Both parents have played their roles in this situation. That being said, my statement isn't really coming from a place of blame on them. With the Nigerian culture we have, it's incredibly difficult to "cut off" family, especially one's child. Your parents obviously still care for their son, or at the very least, feel obligated toward him. I don't know if your parents will ever be in a position to go no contact with him.

As for you, you need to protect yourself. Your brother has realized you are of no use to him, hence how he ignores you. But that doesn't mean your personal items, your mental well-being, and peace of mind are safe in such an environment. I would recommend finding a job as soon as possible, moving in with friends (if that's an option), or moving out on your own quickly. People like your brother must always be kept at arms' length because they will never learn from their errors because they are literally blind to them. It's always someone else's fault, they always have some kind of excuse for their actions, and they always take advantage of situations or manipulate those around them to get what they want. As soon as you're financially independent, leave that house and just go no contact with him. Good luck.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by Impregnablefolk: 11:38am On Jun 11, 2022
RightToReject:

Cut the guy some slack. Your single sentence has two notable errors. A lot, not "alot" and sentences, not "sentence."

So, the correct version of your sentence should be: "A university graduate typed this episode with a lot of uncoordinated sentences."

The pot calling the kettle black.
Tank u my broda! Some people just like 2 nitpick n even cherry pick in every situation. Dis kind of people r highly stereotypical wit a prejudicial mentality. Don't mind d hypocrite!
Re: My Narcissistic Brother by RepoMan007: 11:41am On Jun 11, 2022
Asquare84:
you are unstable.

1 Like

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by terrafella(m): 11:42am On Jun 11, 2022
Killerbag36:

Bro sorry he does CRACK take him to rehab nd send him away from that community never to come back home nd engage with hand work over there finish if not na market e de go so please go read metal disorder nd there various type plus sign nd symptoms only then u will understand .

I salute you bro, this unloving and disrespectful young man who keeps malice with his brother and thinks he is a better man because of Bsc. does not understand what crackk coccaine can do. His elder brother obviously needs mental help and means of his own income. FYI a stick of SK(weed) costs just 100naira but maybe he does Colorado (500), are you saying your brother wants to sell AC to go buy 100 naira weed? This younger brother is not a good man, stop being judgmental, your brother has issues and seems lazy but he needs mental help and genuine support ASAP.

2 Likes

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by iscom(m): 11:42am On Jun 11, 2022
Shey!
Re: My Narcissistic Brother by RepoMan007: 11:44am On Jun 11, 2022
RightToReject:

Cut the guy some slack. Your single sentence has two notable errors. A lot, not "alot" and sentences, not "sentence."

So, the correct version of your sentence should be: "A university graduate typed this episode with a lot of uncoordinated sentences."

Thank you for putting that kerosene child where he truly belongs.
Re: My Narcissistic Brother by WantsandMore: 11:44am On Jun 11, 2022
Since you are on a Journey to self growth include the following;
Don't fight or argue over Money
Don't fight or argue over Properties
Don't fight or argue over Women
Now back to your bro, it's not worth it, don't fight your bro over some diminishing properties you didn't even buy yourself, I understand your strong sense of justice but you'll do well to let it go, highest thing you can do rn is report the incident to your mom,dad and all other relatives, very important, & if he decides to come back for some other properties please don't engage, just jokingly, tell him to drop your share. Cos if those ahead of you have given up on his pilfering attitude then man, hustle hard, make your own money so that whatever he does to the family properties won't be much bother to you,however, do not give up on him ,engage him on a friendly banter from time to time, remember, even a dog has his day. If you're continually irritated by him then perhaps it speaks more of your character than his,or perhaps he's your karma in this lifetime, find a way to not judge but rather means to carry him along the good paths. It's not gon be easy but it'll be worth it @ the end knowing you gave it your best shot. Family is everything Bro, do not wish you have it any other way, that'll be running away from responsibility like your bro has been doing...its up to you though, you can ignore and cut him off or whatever, but life is fleeting and death is certain @ the end it's every man judged according to his deed. & finally, tell him just cos he smokes weed or whatever doesn't mean he has to be stubborn and stupid, he's a man now, a father for crying out LOUD. haaaaa

1 Like

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by Rebic(m): 11:44am On Jun 11, 2022
@moonshine101 your father needs to write his will NOW.

Else that house will become a problem for you guys.

1 Like

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by chukwuibuipob: 11:44am On Jun 11, 2022
Crixxx:
He must come from ondo
So Ondo pipu are THIEVES shocked undecided sad
Re: My Narcissistic Brother by Franking: 11:45am On Jun 11, 2022
Drugs.
Re: My Narcissistic Brother by TeeNanu(m): 11:46am On Jun 11, 2022
RightToReject:

grin grin grin grin
Re: My Narcissistic Brother by Adexxi(m): 11:47am On Jun 11, 2022
You should thank God is buying weed. Let home high to meet the most high undecided
Re: My Narcissistic Brother by Franking: 11:47am On Jun 11, 2022
Your brother is into something bigger than weed. He's obviously into serious hard drugs and needs some help. Drug addiction is a major motivation. All the anger in this world cannot change anything. Junkies need support and understanding.
Re: My Narcissistic Brother by iRepNaija1: 11:48am On Jun 11, 2022
TechbI0gger:
move away and leave his old age parents to the mercy of his heartless brother?
moonshine101 kindly disregard this foolish comment I am quoting.
get a job, stay with your parents and watch over them, save and invest with your money.
don't leave your parents to that criminal.
What he needs is a mental rehabilitation center

You don't understand. The OP's brother is like cancer. I don't mean to sound dramatic but this is the best illustration I can come up with. Everything the brother touches, he infects and pollutes. Look at what this older brother has done to his own family for years, especially with the parents who enable the older brother's behavior.

What would it look like if the OP got a job and decided to stay? OP would become the breadwinner of the family, OP's money would make its way to the older brother (via the parents) and the older brother will continue with his selfish actions. Or it would go to OP's nephew who is still a kid and possibly attends school, or to repair the old house that the older brother destroyed, or to replace items in the new house that the older brother steals. It would be an endless cycle that would leave OP so financially depleted they would not be able to continue with their own life (finding a place, saving money, buying a car, etc.)

A person cannot take care of others unless they take care of themselves first. OP needs to keep their well-being intact before trying to figure out what they can do to help their parents.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Narcissistic Brother by saintruky(m): 11:49am On Jun 11, 2022
Asquare84:

Sharaaaaap dia... Na u go school pass na... Monkey
Re: My Narcissistic Brother by 15ssDRIVE(m): 11:51am On Jun 11, 2022
Moonshine101:
Hello Everyone!

I have a family issue but I don't have someone to speak to about it, so I'm very grateful for your inputs on this matter.

SOME BACKSTORY (You can skip this if you want):
I'm the youngest of my two siblings (26M). I have a sister and a brother. My sister's kinda okay. My brother (35) is a selfish, toxic and entitled person. He dropped out from the university, doesn't have a job and he steals from my parents like my dad's watches or property or my mum's jewellery and then sells them to buy weed or something.

One time he sold my mum's car and after some police and legal issue that basically went nowhere, she basically had to steal it back (The guy who bought it, passed away a little while after, so I guess that case is closed..), he once took my phone while I was sleeping because I refused to give him a different phone I had, that belongs to me after selling his own phone or something. It's like he acts solely on impulse. My dad (who's in his 70s now) is almost always on security alert when my brother is around. As for my mom, she just straight up enables him and bails him out of trouble every time, saying things like "He's your brother" or "God will change him" when I talk to her about it. My brother and I got into a fight, like a year before I left for university, because he wanted to look around my room to see if I had his usb cable despite me telling him I don't have it nor have I seen it. That was the last time I willingly spoke to him.

My family moved into a new house and I finally left for school (my brother stayed in the old house and my sister moved in with her husband after marriage, so it was just him over there). During my 3rd year, I called my dad, asking him for some money because I was broke, and during the phone call, my dad tells me that he's at the hospital cuz my brother and some girl just had a kid. okay.. I came back for holidays and found out that his baby mama (who's also toxic and insults people alot) and kid, my nephew, are staying with us, with my parents providing for them while my brother stays in the older house, renting it out to people (who messed up the house and compound to the point it just became a disgusting place to live in) obviously without permission from my parents (who don't even own that house, it belongs to my uncle). By the time I graduated and came back home, he was now living with us in the new house because free food and no bills, I guess.

I haven't gotten a job yet so I'm stuck here.

Recently, he's been staying away from me because I don't talk to him or even look at him.

BACK TO THE TOPIC:
Around a year ago, I had a serious wakeup call and decided that, if I was going to go forward in life I would have to better myself so I began a journey of meditation and self-improvement, and I think I've made some good progress. Now the issue is my brother---earlier today, I saw him scouting our house (after my parents went out) and I could instantly tell he was up to no good. I was cooking when I began to hear some noise from upstairs like he was hacking at something. He came downstairs and readied his car while my cousin who stays with us (19) carried the AC unit my brother was planning to sell.
Usually I'll just mind my business and avoid him because he's an adult-child (narcissist) and I think he'll just put his vindictive sights on me if I interfere, but this time I don't know what came over me..

I called my cousin and demanded where he was taking that AC to. I then asked my brother (first time in years I've spoken to him) why he was taking it, he just gave one nonsense flimsy excuse then I told my cousin to return it. When he tried to explain whatever, I didn't acknowledge his presence, I just ignored him and ate my food. He just stood there staring at me for like 3 minutes before he left while murmuring something.

The main reason I've been avoiding him for long is because he's toxic and I decided that family or not, toxicity is still toxicity. He's very exploitative and once he familiarises with someone it's like an opening to trample the person's boundaries. I think I confronted him today because the more you ignore bad/evil the stronger it becomes and eventually it will come for you except now it'll be stronger from all the experience.

The issue is, I don't want to relapse into my old life of toxicity by further engaging him if he decides to steal from me on get physical because he's the kind of person that only listens to actions, not words.
Please, what do you think I do?

Imagine if you guys really talk like brothers? He probably will see,reasons to live a bette life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Advice: My Father Didn't Train Me In The University,should I Forgive Him? / Adorable Four Generations Photos Of A Nigerian Family / Should I Cut-off My Parents?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.