Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,120 members, 7,814,931 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria (14262 Views)

Looking For Friends With Benefits In North America / The Great Benefits In Delaying Sex Until Marriage / How To Process Nigeria International Passport For Your Child Under The Age Of 18 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by missyojo(f): 11:00pm On Nov 13, 2022
Bouncing2:

Wow,, I'll like you to clarify me more on situations like this,,ma

Which area do you want clarification on? Be specific
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by Gentlebabs(m): 11:06pm On Nov 13, 2022
Under Section 4(5) of the Pension Reform Act 2014 (as amended), there is a life insurance maintained, where the beneficiaries of the deceased employee/contributor are entitled to a life insurance benefit of about 3 times the annual salary of the deceased employee while he was actively engaged.

Also, if the deceased joined NSCDC before 2004, and have used at least 10 years in service before 2004, he will be entitled to accrued rights, which is supposed to be added to his contributions with his Pension Fund Administrator as at retirement.

Since your father died in active service. My advise to you would be the following:

1. If you are the next of kin, approach his employers and notify them. You will need a death certificate as you go.

2. Get a Letter 0f Administration and approach the PFA, notify them and get to know the balance in the RSA account. The PFA will also notify Pencom, so if your Dad qualifies for accrued rights, they will process it alongside.

Make sure you carry your siblings along and especially if your dad has more than one wife, everybody has to be carried along. It is quite easy if you follow this simple process.

Please, do not give anyone any shishi to process this for you. You can do it by yourself and it is very simple. If you have a family lawyer, get them to help you process the LOA.

If you need further enquiries, visit www.pencom.gov.ng and visit the nearest zonal office to you.

I have a video where Pencom further explained this. I could send it to you if you like. You can say “Hi” to me on 08178827380 – Babs.

Again, do not give anybody shishi, so that you will not be scammed.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by gibsonwales(m): 11:09pm On Nov 13, 2022
Hope he wrote and submitted a WILL before he died ?? Else, you're gonna need what is called "LETTER OF ADMINISTRATION" from Federal HIGH COURT (since NSCDC is federal) in the state where he worked.... If you reside in Lagos, it is almost HELL to get it. Lawyers will only feast on what you're expecting from his benefits. Do the processing YOURSELF !

2 Likes

Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by Mike008(m): 11:10pm On Nov 13, 2022
letters of administration.
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by litaninja(m): 11:14pm On Nov 13, 2022
lol. How much exactly be the "alleged" benefits?
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by GlobTrotter: 11:20pm On Nov 13, 2022
missyojo:
Sorry for the loss of your father, may God rest his soul. On this issue you have presented, the payment for burial expenses is not usually an immediate payments reason being that the file will go through different channels within the organisation he died and it's usually processed by the next of kin of the deceased. I think you people should be doing follow up to know where the file has reached, once it has gotten to accounts/treasury department the money will be paid. And once the money has been paid, the next of kin will apply for terminal benefits just the way she applied for burial expenses. And to my own understanding, we ask for letter of administration if the deceased next of kin is different from the one on the record of service.

I wish you all the best
I think they will require letter of administration regardless. I hope they have cleaned up the system now.it takes quite sometime to get that from probate in the high court
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by PoliciaNLand: 11:47pm On Nov 13, 2022
DenreleDave:
If it is under anambra state especially during the reign of Peter obi, it will be hard oo bcox Peter don use the money of most pensioner to establish terrorist Igbos to cause unrest in the east..

This is why Peter obi must not be allowed... Soludo spoke and the next day, Peter obi boys went to his home town. God forbid we have a terrorist like obi as our president

The opposition finding a possible way to defeat the inevitable Tinubu presidency. grin cheesy cheesy
stick to the topic
Mynd44 lalasticlala Seun Dominique nlfpmod
Rule 1

2 Likes

Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by Segunowolabi: 12:16am On Nov 14, 2022
Omoh, it's not easy oooo
Our judiciary s corrupt.
Firstly, u nid an affidavit, plus two passport photographs.
After which u take d affidavit 2 general hospital, dey will collect d original affidavit and issue u d required Death Certificate.
Additionally, u equally nid Letter of Probate, which will be done by d same court of Law.
Then can now applied, stating d cause of d Death, date and numbers of d children, d number of witness dat nids 2 b present on dat day.
Bank wahala is d worst, dat one require tip offf.
Darss all I did den pls
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by onomeabuja: 1:05am On Nov 14, 2022
missyojo:

The system isn't bad because I'm in the system maybe it's the people that you meet are bad. Since it's FCTA, that's where I work. I can be of assistance as it's my office that process burial expenses.

Send me a DM, let's take it up from there. I will give you my contact and tell you my office room number so you come and meet me.
How about us when our dad Don die since 2015 any hope
Mine worked with ministry of defence thanks.
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by busomma: 1:24am On Nov 14, 2022
My younger sister died 4 yrs while working with Road Safety & her children are still running between Lagos & Abuja for payment of her entitlements with no end in sight. Be ready to part with some percentage of the total sum & submission of same documents 4 times b4 someone will talk to u. Unless things will change if new government comes in. Good luck.
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by galantjoe(m): 2:12am On Nov 14, 2022
Sharoniah:

This is where I'm at since March, yet nothing.. I have every single document needed, I never knew it'll take this long... Sha, I've left it to face my business, imagine going to FCTA almost every week, spending money, yet 1kobo has not dropped.. The system is really bad

Have you done PR to those officers that will sign your documents? If you haven't you have to do it now. PR is for faster process of any financial benefit in Nigeria services

My advice is to have contact person there whom is your father paddy or someone else. This contact will help to give necessary PR to offices where this file will travel.

This is my take, and believe within one month your request will be granted.

Stitch in time saves nine. Because any further delay you may lose that file on the process
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by DeOTR: 3:28am On Nov 14, 2022
missyojo:
Sorry for the loss of your father, may God rest his soul. On this issue you have presented, the payment for burial expenses is not usually an immediate payments reason being that the file will go through different channels within the organisation he died and it's usually processed by the next of kin of the deceased. I think you people should be doing follow up to know where the file has reached, once it has gotten to accounts/treasury department the money will be paid. And once the money has been paid, the next of kin will apply for terminal benefits just the way she applied for burial expenses. And to my own understanding, we ask for letter of administration if the deceased next of kin is different from the one on the record of service.

I wish you all the best
Lol. You're assuming his father's file will not go missing in this process?
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by Nursepepeye(f): 3:41am On Nov 14, 2022
superboyspecial:

Hmmm... Alright nau boss. Thanks for your contribution
you said you need advice on how to process benefits, you end up charting with Igbo smoker, which one you dey sef
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by Yankee101: 4:45am On Nov 14, 2022
1. Get his death certificate
2. Get his employment letter
3. Get the evidence you’re his son
4. Get any document that shows you’re his next of kin
5. Get your family members’ authorization to act on behalf of the family (your mum and siblings)

6. Go to court, Probate registry, and get letter of administration over his estate
7. Take the letter to the bank to transfer his account as an estate your your family, through you, as the administrator
8. Take the letter to his employment to process his benefit. Ask them for steps at the headquarters.
9. If they use Pensions funds he’ll have some money there too so write his PFA too with your admin letter from the probate registry

The process will take a while so plenty of patience
Carry your family along
The money is for you and your mum and siblings not you alone as the adminisrator. You’re just the person through whom it will be processsed
Share equitably. Preferably build a house if you guys don’t have one and/or do a fixed deposit so you can all share monthly from the interest

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by otipoju(m): 5:03am On Nov 14, 2022
Sharoniah:

This is where I'm at since March, yet nothing.. I have every single document needed, I never knew it'll take this long... Sha, I've left it to face my business, imagine going to FCTA almost every week, spending money, yet 1kobo has not dropped.. The system is really bad

If na Lagos state government just continue with your life. 15 years and counting...one mofo even told me around the 7th year that why am I in a hurry sey 10 years backlog still dey.

Wallahi LASG is serious overrated.
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by LegitAutos01: 5:27am On Nov 14, 2022
superboyspecial:
Hello, Nairalanders.
Please, have you tried processing the death benefits and pension of someone who worked at the Nigeria Security & Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) before his death?
How did you go about it and how long did it take to be processed?

I'm trying to process that of my late dad and would appreciate any guidance or information.

Did your father leave any will? If yes fine if no

You have to do letters of Administration showing you are the next of kin

You'll need a lawyer

Are you the next of kin

If yes then its easy

If you are in lagos

Go to igboshere court Probate department.

If you are not the next of kin

Long process awaits you.

You'll need a lawyer
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by ObiaboAdoka(m): 5:30am On Nov 14, 2022
onomeabuja:

How about us when our dad Don die since 2015 any hope
Mine worked with ministry of defence thanks.
Ministry of Defense is d easiest ministry to assess death benefit bro.
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by dettolgel: 5:34am On Nov 14, 2022
missyojo:

The system isn't bad because I'm in the system maybe it's the people that you meet are bad. Since it's FCTA, that's where I work. I can be of assistance as it's my office that process burial expenses.

Send me a DM, let's take it up from there. I will give you my contact and tell you my office room number so you come and meet me.

At the bolded is contradictory.

A good system is such that prevent someone from causing a bottle neck.

For instance if anytime a file gets to a desk it is sign and dated and if it stays more than 3 working days at a particular desk the desk officer is queried. During end of year review, if the number of processing days are used as one of the indicators to assess performance then people won't have the incentive to wait for graft before moving the files.

A good system put in place checks and balances to ensure smooth operation. The guy you quoted was right, the system is bad and needs to be improved.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by JayPeeOham: 6:52am On Nov 14, 2022
OP, I don't have the answer to your question, Sorry! But pls feel free to contact me if you need advice on how to spend the benefits after getting it!! grin

1 Like

Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by sonature1: 7:01am On Nov 14, 2022
superboyspecial

If you have his account details, you have to proceed to the High Court in your state to obtain a letter of administration. You will need his death certificate for this.

Getting that letter takes a lot of processes and time, but you have to go for it. The court will ask you to pay 10% of what is in the account before you can have access to the money.

Once you have the letter, you can present it to the bank and they will create an account for the new beneficiary.

Don't rush the process so you don't get overwhelmed - take it one step at a time.

Good luck.
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by oluwaseyi0: 7:14am On Nov 14, 2022
Sharoniah:

Since 2011 we've been on my late mummy own, still nothing yet

A civil servant with the state government
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by oluwaseyi0: 7:19am On Nov 14, 2022
Resourcesswift:
which journey?
Why are you always daft?
Once the op visits probate registry, the processing will b done there for the benefit of the next of kin

Everything is not about fight

Have you try processing one? We've try processing my late mum own since 2011, all documents complete and approved since 2012 we we're told to wait, till now nothing

It's a long, very long journey

Note: mum is civil servant with ogun state

1 Like

Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by Painintheass221: 7:30am On Nov 14, 2022
If his salary is still being paid. Shut up and don't tell his office

2 Likes

Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by otokx(m): 7:30am On Nov 14, 2022
This is where federal is better than state.
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by supereagle(m): 7:49am On Nov 14, 2022
Thanks OP for raising this. It is an eye opener.
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by Donchieli: 8:08am On Nov 14, 2022
Go get your letter of administration from a court of competent jurisdiction(the state he was working) that one alone can hake a month if you are not lucky and 3 weeks if you are then you need a death certificate from National Population commission if his death certificate isn't from a Government certified hospital

then you also need all his documents, first appointment letter, promotion letters, courses attended, pension administrator certificate (evidence of the firm that keeps his money) they issue certificates, you have to make lots of copies before going because it will be cheaper for you, his ippis slip too is very important because you might go there and they will tel you de dnt have his file or can't find it, that's for pension and insurance(death benefits) and so you knw they are two separate payments

then you also have the Housing Fund find your dad's NHF passbook, as mall book that looks like international passport get it updated from the state Headquarters of the state he was working before he died to the month he died, that will be done at the welfare office, and try to get 10 years pay slip if he has worked for dat long, it will be needed

When you have all this tins you leave for abuja evritin would be tendered at the national headquarters except for that of the pension Bcus you will have to be following it up submit it at you state of residence so you don't have to be traveling to Abuja always,

be very certain who the next of kin is so you dnt spend your money on next of kin and go to abuja and they discover you are not or its not just you, you will have to do another letter of administration, if you can locate any of his APER form dat will help

P. S if you get d letter of administration, make five copies before you take it to the litigation officer to sign because they won't kolect a copy that the signature isn't appended directly, and dnt make d mistake of submitting the original copy, only those copies you made that wer signed on should be submitted

superboyspecial:
Hello, Nairalanders.
Please, have you tried processing the death benefits and pension of someone who worked at the Nigeria Security & Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) before his death?

I'm trying to process that of my late dad and would appreciate any guidance or information.
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by yomi531(m): 8:10am On Nov 14, 2022
superboyspecial:
Hello, Nairalanders.

Go to court and process letter of Administration. U will also do newspaper publication. Make sure u go with his death certificate. When u get all these, u will then go back to his office for some documentation. U will also need to know the pension company he was under. They will ask for his letter of employment, first pay slip and last pay slip and a few other stuff.U will then go to his bank and close his account. The money there will be given to u being the next of kin in form of bank draft. U will be asked to open an estate acct for u to be able to get his death benefits and other monies . Its the estate acct u will submit to pencom . Na there the big pension money , contributory pension and gratuity go enter in buck.
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by yomi531(m): 8:14am On Nov 14, 2022
oluwaseyi0:

Since 2011 we've been on my late mummy own, still nothing yet

A civil servant with the state government
Maybe u guys didnt follow up wella. My dads own was paid within 6 months of documention. Around 2012

1 Like

Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by Alaefulu(m): 8:39am On Nov 14, 2022
KiNg0G:
Atleast your papa death go generate revenue for you.

Your one lucky dude
had it been it's possible to change life I would have given you my dad benefit just to have your dad life back to mine
Re: How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria by missyojo(f): 8:49am On Nov 14, 2022
dettolgel:

At the bolded is contradictory.

A good system is such that prevent someone from causing a bottle neck.

For instance if anytime a file gets to a desk it is sign and dated and if it stays more than 3 working days at a particular desk the desk officer is queried. During end of year review, if the number of processing days are used as one of the indicators to assess performance then people won't have the incentive to wait for graft before moving the files.

A good system put in place checks and balances to ensure smooth operation. The guy you quoted was right, the system is bad and needs to be improved.

You are entitled to your own opinion and I guess you are in the private sector that's why you said all these.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do Prenuptial Agreements Work In Nigeria? / What's The Best Gift You've Ever Received Either From Family Or Friends? / Happy Mother's Day. What Will You Give To Your Mom Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.