Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds (113292 Views)

Throwback Photo Of Buhari As A Tennis Player In The 70s / Throwback Photo Of Bukola Saraki & His Dad In The 60s / Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 8:40pm On Jul 21, 2011

Sultan of Sokoto talking to Grand Kadi and a brother if King Hussein of Jordan at the reception welcoming the return of Alhaji Ahmadu Bello from Mecca.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 8:41pm On Jul 21, 2011

Alhaji Ahmadu Bello entertaining Mr.Duncan Sandys. (Grand Kadi on Mr.Sandys´ right)
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 8:41pm On Jul 21, 2011

A 'durbar' of local aristocracy ,celebrating Nigerian Independence .
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 8:42pm On Jul 21, 2011

Alhaji Ahmadu Bello, premier of Northern Nigeria and Emir of Kano at the inauguration of Daily Mail ,Kano 1961
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 8:43pm On Jul 21, 2011

Northern Premier, Alhaji Ahmadu Bello congratulates the Waziri of Dikwa on being awarded an O.B.E.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 21, 2011
EzeUche:

ILEKE-IDI stop reposting pictures.  angry

What would you do if I dont stop? tongue
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 21, 2011
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 8:43pm On Jul 21, 2011

Emile Bustani , lebanese businessman (owner of CAT construction company) among the cream of Yoruba society in Lagos. He was a candidate for the Leb anese Presidency  and died in a plane crash -sabotaged- during the election. Winter 1962.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by phantom(m): 8:44pm On Jul 21, 2011
just take a look at the faces of nigerians then, all you see is hope and a people looking to a bright future, look at the faces of nigerians today on the streets of lagos,enugu, PH,kaduna, all you see is hunger,strife,frustration,anger,
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 8:44pm On Jul 21, 2011

The guard of Nigerian Mounted police on the occasion of the visit by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner (C.V.Harrison) at the Northern Police College, Kaduna.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 21, 2011
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 8:45pm On Jul 21, 2011

A meeting of the Association of Professional Women.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 8:45pm On Jul 21, 2011

The Prime Minister of Northern Nigeria (Ahmadu Bello) inspects the traditional Guard of Honour on his visit to Raba.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 21, 2011

Tinubu square
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 8:46pm On Jul 21, 2011
these leaders truly loved their people!  cry cry cry
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jul 21, 2011

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 21, 2011

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jul 21, 2011
Ile-Ife

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by proudly9ja(m): 8:54pm On Jul 21, 2011
People (Nigerians and foreigners) had great hope for Nigeria back then.
Sadly, we couldn't meet up

The younger generation must see that when people talk about restoring Nigeria to her former glory, this is what they are talking about. Tarring of roads, painting of school buildings shouldn't hoodwink us into accepting the mediocrity.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Theblessed(f): 9:00pm On Jul 21, 2011
[size=18pt]Imagine how beautiful our country was at the time and can still be, if we put our hearts to it.  

First time to see, authority, order and respect for the law - yeah because, the British were around!  

From the pictures, all can see that almost everything was in its place and, rightly so.  

Lagos was clean I had never known that Ancient city to be as clean as this and now, imagine the chaos we have today.

Pity!!!
[/size]
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by kulutempa: 9:02pm On Jul 21, 2011
I don't know about you but looking at these nostalgic pictures of Nigeria, I feel as if I have just witnessed  the transformation of  a sweet innocent virgin  into a  cold  hard  prostitute.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Onlytruth(m): 9:07pm On Jul 21, 2011
Looks like the country raced down a cliff after the war.
It also looks like the country had higher building and construction standards while white folks were still there.

I don't know which it is, whether it is the aboki that took over after 1970, or the white man that left too early IMO.
We may never know.

Meanwhile here is my own hero D1ck Tiger -world middle weight champion, Biafran soldier.  cool

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by petertosh: 9:07pm On Jul 21, 2011
Woe betide any politician that comes my way this night. Cant believe this is Nigeria (or what it used to be)
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by owo2390(m): 9:08pm On Jul 21, 2011
In economy its called the tragedy of the commons. A place that used by everyone will always have a tendency to get dirty. Since everyone feels the right to utilize it but no duty of cleaning it up. Most major cities are dirty like that, New York city is filthy, so is Newark, New Jersey. And Lagos, Nigeria.

In science its called entropy. It applies to everything
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by megastu(m): 9:09pm On Jul 21, 2011
These pictures almost brought me to tears. I wonder what went wrong.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Outstrip(f): 9:20pm On Jul 21, 2011
phantom:

just take a look at the faces of nigerians then, all you see is hope and a people looking to a bright future, look at the faces of nigerians today on the streets of lagos,enugu, PH,kaduna, all you see is hunger,strife,frustration,anger,

I was thinking the same thing. It is not so much the happiness but there's just this look on the faces of Nigerians back then. They looked like human beings. It's just not the same today. People have been abused and oppressed too long. It is really different now. The pictures say a lot. I like that picture. Looks like a roundabout with the Nigerian flag and those beautiful flowers. It just shows pride (another thing that I think I felt in the pictures. Pride and confidence) of the people. Kind of like walking into a nice neighborhood. You can tell an area that takes pride in home ownership by the way people keep their homes. You can see this in these pictures. It's like there is no pride in being Nigerian today. Everything is run down and people live in it like it is normal
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Onlytruth(m): 9:25pm On Jul 21, 2011
I have to post these Biafran currency pictures because they show that standards were still very high even in the face of war.

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Onlytruth(m): 9:26pm On Jul 21, 2011

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 21, 2011
Theblessed:

[size=18pt]Imagine how beautiful our country was at the time and can still be, if we put our hearts to it.  

First time to see, authority, order and respect for the law - yeah because, the British were around!  

From the pictures, all can see that almost everything was in its place and, rightly so.  

Lagos was clean I had never known that Ancient city to be as clean as this and now, imagine the chaos we have today.

Pity!!!
[/size]

Yes oh, Lagos was clean.

Hmmm sth happened around the late 70s
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jul 21, 2011
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 9:31pm On Jul 21, 2011
Lets stop with the pictures and allow people to comment.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 21, 2011
Facial marks of Ile-Ife.
Has exactly the same tribal marks in my family tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

Sanusi Lamido Arrested, Exiled To Nasarawa After Dethronement As Emir Of Kano / Sokoto Road, Kaduna: El-Rufai Constructs Road That Looks Like European Road / Photo Of Bianca Ojukwu After Slapping Ebelechukwu Obiano As Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.