Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,138 members, 7,821,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil (23632 Views)

Es 350 Gear Oil / My Nissan Wont Change Gear / How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Greystone: 12:29pm On Jun 20, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,
i have been driving my Honda over a year now. I'm always tempted to change the gear oil even when the gear has never given me headache for once.

My former mechanic then told me to always change the oil every 3 months. This has got me confused and i dont know what to do
please your advice will go a long way, and i will appreciate if this can be pushed to front page.

Every car has recommended oil changes based on miles/ km driven.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by enilowo(m): 12:33pm On Jun 20, 2022
You sabi. I use Honda Engine Oil on my car and its never due for change till after 4months. It cost 24K to buy based on the price i bought last month.
Honda Gear Oil is sold for 7K per quants and i usually use 4quants which is 28K. And it is available in Oyingbo spare part market.

yesloaded:

Well, it's not a bad idea to change gear oil but any mechanic asking you to change gear oil after every 3months is a quack even you don't change engine oil every 3 months except you use cheap oil or you travel long distance every time

Some engine oil lasted for 1yr while some 6months but if you drive your car long distance often and covered some numbers of mile then you have to replace the engine oil within short period of time

Check the gear oil to see if it's not black, if it does kindly refer to your vehicle manual or check online to see specified gear oil for your vehicle

Heat oil ain't cheap, so don't let anyone tell use to use all these cheap ATF oil that can only serve power steering on your vehicle gear

I once changed my vehicle gear oil after about 2yrs that I bought the vehicle and so far no issue with my gear

Note: I changed the gear oil when I realized it's getting dark
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by chloride6: 12:34pm On Jun 20, 2022
Just monitor the color, once the pink is gone. Flush it with 4 litres.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Flier: 12:38pm On Jun 20, 2022
It’s a no go area you should not try to change it,you should only change it if the gear has problem
It last 10-15 years

3 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by SouthSouth1914: 12:41pm On Jun 20, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,
i have been driving my Honda over a year now. I'm always tempted to change the gear oil even when the gear has never given me headache for once.

My former mechanic then told me to always change the oil every 3 months. This has got me confused and i dont know what to do
please your advice will go a long way, and i will appreciate if this can be pushed to front page.

If driving your car within the city. Then you can change every three months. But if you drive interstate, especially journeys within 9hrs- 10hrs, every two trip, you should change the oil. This is for Engine oil!

For gearbox oil, you don’t need to change it. You can only top it if you notice your gear jerks. It is very difficult to notice this at first! Overtime, the jerking becomes obvious!

1 Like

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by ponishah: 12:45pm On Jun 20, 2022
hotwax:
I don;t have a car yet. But I have bought 2 tires...will soon buy the remaining tires. Before you know it, a full car don set be that
Try to be relevant most time
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by gabbasin: 12:50pm On Jun 20, 2022
I haven't changed my car gear oil for almost 10 years, and it hasn't given me any problem, if it isn't getting dark nor the gear giving any problem, I don't see any reason changing the gear oil.

3 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by ponishah: 12:51pm On Jun 20, 2022
afamaustin:
I used my Camry for 5years l didn't change the gear oil,l bought my new endeavor SUV for three years now l HV not change the gear oil l just top it last 2months
What did you do whenever you noticed shortage on gunge?
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by babamoha(m): 12:52pm On Jun 20, 2022
Gear oil is not what you change anyhow unless the viscosity is not their again or your gear has problem
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Ten06(m): 12:55pm On Jun 20, 2022
I used to change once a year. But if I drive through a very flooded road I used to changed the oil immediately
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by bluefilm: 12:56pm On Jun 20, 2022
I have not changed my gear oil for almost four years now.

1 Like

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Theoarhics: 1:10pm On Jun 20, 2022
If na gbola oil na every two days
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Goldbw122(m): 1:11pm On Jun 20, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,

Ok yeah it is good to change the gear box oil, but id the gearbox want to die it will die, because you can't change the filter, because no mechanic will ever remove the filter of the gear box... Too bad.. so keep changing the oil.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Goldbw122(m): 1:12pm On Jun 20, 2022
Theoarhics:
If na gbola oil na every two days
grin your own they your body.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by fotadmowmend(m): 1:15pm On Jun 20, 2022
Trouble dey sleep you wan wake am........
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by boolet: 1:18pm On Jun 20, 2022
After every 5000 miles that you drive. You're welcome... smiley

1 Like

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by oodua1stson: 1:18pm On Jun 20, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,

your mechanic is a thief and bandit. Normally you don’t need to change gear oil if you’re not a commercia Driver. But if you must change it should be at least 5 years

Do you know why cars in Nigeria easily get gear issues? Gear oil change

3 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by kernniejay(m): 1:21pm On Jun 20, 2022
FalseProphet1:
Every day so that oil sellers too can eat and feed their families.

This I have seen.

I know why you spoke like that, I pray God give you a car soon, amen.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by kernniejay(m): 1:29pm On Jun 20, 2022
modskiller:
Recommend for change after every 30,000 kilometers.

Make sure you use the original oil recommended by the manufacturer only.

If need be, please visit a dealership, they’re likely to have the genuine parts and oil.

Even the normal engine oil we usually buy now has so many fakes in the market.

The Mobil oil is so much imitated that people who makes the fake now buy the plastic containers from mechanics.

Wow, I fear this country o. Na to dey buy everything direct from company/manufacturer go sure pass las las
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by makson007: 1:32pm On Jun 20, 2022
If you bought the car as Tokunbo, pls don't change the oil ,you can buy 1 litre and be using it to top it whenever it is low. That is how I have been using my car since 8 years ago.. but if mechanics deceive you to change it,then be ready to be servicing your gear every 3 months..

2 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by phemmyfour: 1:32pm On Jun 20, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,

Yearly but due to the nature of kazeem. I LL advice you not to touch it. If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by kernniejay(m): 1:37pm On Jun 20, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,

Your normal lubrication service is once every 3 months but your transmission service should be once every 9 months, but your engine and transmission must be cool for 24 hours before transmission service. Take my advice to the bank.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by autopulse(m): 1:44pm On Jun 20, 2022
My kindid advise is please don't allow your mechanic change the gear oil as far as no issue with the gear. Run from such mechanic

1 Like

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by kennosman(m): 1:50pm On Jun 20, 2022
Gear Oil is not changed frequently as requested by your mechanic Man, 5 years Now been cruising my EOD almost all part of the country, south, East and west as a Telecomm field Engineer, i only changed my oil once, 2 years ago when i noticed it was getting dark and the Oil viscosity was thick.

1 Like

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by dru23(m): 1:51pm On Jun 20, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,

Transmission fluid is not something you change often. Changing it often will damage the transmission.

And Honda dw1 ATF are hard to come by and cost a lot .... Na fake dey market.....

Pic below .....If your Transmission fluid is like this or pinkish in color leave it .... But if it is very darkish in color change it .

A transmission fluid can last you at least 12months or more provided you use the original ..... But it is always best to always check the color conditions

1 Like

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Dtruthspeaker: 1:52pm On Jun 20, 2022
modskiller:

You own a Honda?

Which model and year please?

O4 CRV.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by randirandor(m): 1:56pm On Jun 20, 2022
at every 30,000 mileage or one and half years.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by GistFullGround: 1:59pm On Jun 20, 2022

Every 1 year or check the car manual.

If the car manual is missing, search for it on Google or YouTube.

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by saintruky(m): 2:00pm On Jun 20, 2022
For car or keke?
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by victorVIC1(m): 2:29pm On Jun 20, 2022
Please where can I get original Toyota ATF? Recently changed my gear oil and my car jerks sometimes during acceleration since I did the change?
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Nicepoker(m): 2:36pm On Jun 20, 2022
Don't go near that ATF.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See The N95m Mclaren 720S Supercar That Was Totalled Within 24hrs Of Purchase / Mercedes Reveals How The 1979 G-wagon Was Encased In Amber Colored Resin / Best Colour To Go For In A Car!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.