Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,600 members, 7,955,211 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:39 PM

How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil (25115 Views)

Es 350 Gear Oil / My Nissan Wont Change Gear / How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jun 20, 2022
Every 3 months is too much, for a car less than 1 year I wont bother with oil change until after another 1 year, the original oil in that gearbox can never be gotten in the local market for starters.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by ibechris(m): 3:13pm On Jun 20, 2022
After 3yrs that I used my Honda...one mechanic advised me to change my gear oil that was still very bright and clean.

After the change,my gear packed up and I still regret it and now I have learnt my lesson in a hard way.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by MtDave55: 3:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
If people no die, mortuary attendants go take eat?

The mechanic is there to work, if you don't have one for him he will force you to create one

2 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by cRobo: 3:23pm On Jun 20, 2022
ibechris:
After 3yrs that I used my Honda...one mechanic advised me to change my gear that was still very bright and clean.

After the change,my gear packed up and I still regret it and now I have learnt my lesson in a hard way.

So bad
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Netmuch(m): 3:26pm On Jun 20, 2022
Well my Honda baby boy gear started misbehaving ,I was told I need to change the gear but prior to that I took it to a gear expert who replaces the selenoid rubber pack ,it stop misbehaving for 3 days, I top it up a bit with all this can atp gear oil,still misbehaving ,however after some days it becomes normal and till now it never misbehave again.the gear oil is still red and my car is in good shape till now.honestly I can't explain why it stopped mis behaving and it's more than six month that I replace the oil ...
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Kfed4ril(m): 3:27pm On Jun 20, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,
i have been driving my Honda over a year now. I'm always tempted to change the gear oil even when the gear has never given me headache for once.

My former mechanic then told me to always change the oil every 3 months. This has got me confused and i dont know what to do
please your advice will go a long way, and i will appreciate if this can be pushed to front page.

Oga no mind that mechanic o
If it’s not giving you problem don’t change
I’ve been using same gear oil for over 10 years without changing and the gear runs smooth.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by tightpussy156: 3:28pm On Jun 20, 2022
You have a quack mechanic up there.my nissan oil havent change it for 6 years still bright and red.gear changes and pick fine.acceleration na die.My venza havent change for 5 years gear accelerate properly.My 4Matic 3yearsor working fine.Gear oil no be engine oil.They are design to last long.No fine trouble and damage your car when trouble no find you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Rhozabeth(m): 3:29pm On Jun 20, 2022
Bought my car in 2014, i have changed the gear oil only once and the recommendation came because the gear light became dim when on drive. After changing the oil the light came back as bright as it use to be. And this was like 3-4yrs after buying the car. The gear is still performing excellently till date.
If ur mechanic is saying u should change ur gear oil every 3months, then the mechanic is wack and you need to replace him!!!

2 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by lessie(m): 3:41pm On Jun 20, 2022
Guys how long do you one should use camry 2.4 before changing it's gear oil.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by BallingGuy: 3:42pm On Jun 20, 2022
I presume your mechanic meant your Engine oil, and not your gear oil.

I change mine (Engine oil) every 3 months.

As for the gear oil, I changed it for the first time on Last week Friday, since I got my car over a year ago.

Woh! If the gear no give you problem, no do anything. But as for the engine oil, try dey change am every 3 months

reel14:
Dear N/Landers,
i have been driving my Honda over a year now. I'm always tempted to change the gear oil even when the gear has never given me headache for once.

My former mechanic then told me to always change the oil every 3 months. This has got me confused and i dont know what to do
please your advice will go a long way, and i will appreciate if this can be pushed to front page.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by GerogeI(m): 3:43pm On Jun 20, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,

Check your gear oil level annually, but change gear oil once in 3 years for a private car that is not in use daily. For commercial vehucles used for long dustances, its annually changed.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by galantjoe(m): 4:57pm On Jun 20, 2022
You don't need to change your gear oil also known as ATF. Except there is a need for it. Ordinarily, gear oil is not changeable.

Change your mechanic as soon as possible
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by gonkin(m): 5:20pm On Jun 20, 2022
I've been using mine since the car came in as tokumbo. 2012, never really shorts, travelled long distances. Oil still OK.....no discolouration.

I almost wanted to change in 2019 but after seeing too many videos and forums that advised against it, I never changed and I'm glad I didn't cuz a friend with an rx330 changes his every 2 years and he started experiencing the karma. People I know that has never changed theirs are still enjoying. It never gave me problems, still shifts right. Although sometimes I just top up the level when it slips a lil below H

Only thing I did was disconnect the transmission line from the radiator and connect to an external cooler. Cuz in Nissans I heard coolant leaks into the transmission of old vehicles. Mine is a landcruiser though. Tranny still shifts like a dream thanks to scotty's advice
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by henribj(m): 5:34pm On Jun 20, 2022
yesloaded:

Well, it's not a bad idea to change gear oil but any mechanic asking you to change gear oil after every 3months is a quack even you don't change engine oil every 3 months except you use cheap oil or you travel long distance every time

Some engine oil lasted for 1yr while some 6months but if you drive your car long distance often and covered some numbers of mile then you have to replace the engine oil within short period of time

Check the gear oil to see if it's not black, if it does kindly refer to your vehicle manual or check online to see specified gear oil for your vehicle

Heat oil ain't cheap, so don't let anyone tell use to use all these cheap ATF oil that can only serve power steering on your vehicle gear

I once changed my vehicle gear oil after about 2yrs that I bought the vehicle and so far no issue with my gear

Note: I changed the gear oil when I realized it's getting dark

But what of in a situation where the engine indicator starts flashing and asking you to change the engine oil? For me I don't drive out of state, I hardly go on long distance trips even within Lagos State, but once it's 3 months into the last engine oil change, the engine oil indicator will start displaying notification for me to change engine oil. I drive a Lexus es350 2007 model. Your advise will be greatly appreciated.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by HilcomTech(m): 6:19pm On Jun 20, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,

Hmmm.. Trouble dey sleep yanga go wake am.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by t2luv1: 8:22pm On Jun 20, 2022
Dozieson:

Hmmmm. Have you changed the gear oil before? If not, leave it. The mechanic wants to kill your gear. To get the original Honda DW1 is not so easy

Most cars can use synthetic gear oil when changing. Then you don't have to change again until 50,000 miles. For Nissan cars with CVT (example Murano, rogue Pathfinder ) make sure you buy a CVT label gear oil when changing the gear oil then change it every 50,000 miles.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by yesloaded: 10:26pm On Jun 20, 2022
henribj:

But what of in a situation where the engine indicator starts flashing and asking you to change the engine oil? For me I don't drive out of state, I hardly go on long distance trips even within Lagos State, but once it's 3 months into the last engine oil change, the engine oil indicator will start displaying notification for me to change engine oil. I drive a Lexus es350 2007 model. Your advise will be greatly appreciated.

Although I am not a mechanic, I think 3 months is too short for a vehicle that's not travelling a long distance. It might be oil shortening or the quality of the oil. Maybe it's not fully synthetic. I suggest you check the oil level anytime the oil change alert (maintenance required light) shows up on the dashboard to see if it's low. Also check the total miles covered between the last time you changed the oil compared to the next time it brings the maintenance requirement light again to see if you've covered much distance. I assumed your mechanic always puts a maintenance sticker on your vehicle that shows the mileage as of the last oil change and the expected mile/period your vehicle will be due for the next service. If the oil is correct, full synthetic, no oil shortening, and the expected mile before the next service is not covered, then it won't be a bad idea for your mechanic to check if everything is perfect with your car.

1 Like

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Bizzyliss(m): 1:31am On Jun 21, 2022
enilowo:
You sabi. I use Honda Engine Oil on my car and its never due for change till after 4months. It cost 24K to buy based on the price i bought last month.
Honda Gear Oil is sold for 7K per quants and i usually use 4quants which is 28K. And it is available in Oyingbo spare part market.

u might be buying the fake dw 1 too and u are not aware
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Bizzyliss(m): 1:37am On Jun 21, 2022
dru23:

Transmission fluid is not something you change often. Changing it often will damage the transmission.

And Honda dw1 ATF are hard to come by and cost a lot .... Na fake dey market.....

Pic below .....If your Transmission fluid is like this or pinkish in color leave it .... But if it is very darkish in color change it .

A transmission fluid can last you at least 12months or more provided you use the original ..... But it is always best to always check the color conditions
for us that uses 22 pins gearbox, we no they fit check our own lol
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Bizzyliss(m): 1:38am On Jun 21, 2022
victorVIC1:
Please where can I get original Toyota ATF? Recently changed my gear oil and my car jerks sometimes during acceleration since I did the change?
whic car and year?
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Cousin9999: 6:23am On Jun 21, 2022
Google the vehicle manual. That will tell you.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Immorttal: 7:20am On Jun 21, 2022
Gana101:
I seriously need your sincere advice during NYSC registration for batch B 2022 I saw 1991 instead of 1993 now they've shifted me to Exemption
What can I do
Front page abeg
you need to create a thread for this. You posted it under someone's thread.

I believe you're new on Nairaland.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Gana101(m): 10:01am On Jun 21, 2022
Yes I'm new here
Please help me how can I create it
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Gana101(m): 11:06am On Jun 21, 2022
[quote author=Immorttal post=114004535]you need to create a thread for this. You posted it under someone's thread.

I believe you're new on Nairaland.[/quote
You got it right bro I'm new here I don't know how to create it
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Immorttal: 12:39pm On Jun 21, 2022
[quote author=Gana101 post=114010187][/quote]

assuming you want to create a thread under politics, crime, health etc. On the frontpage (Home) of Nairaland, under the tag ' Nairaland Nigerian Topic', select any section that matches your topic. Let's say you wanted to create a thread about jobs, you'll tap 'Jobs/Vacancies' section. In your case NYSC, look around, you'll see it easily.
When the page finished loading, look for ' Create New Topic'. When you're done creating your topic, click submit.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by victorVIC1(m): 1:46pm On Jun 21, 2022
Bizzyliss:
whic car and year?
Toyota Yaris 2014
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by akinsanya005: 5:35pm On Jun 21, 2022
pls house.. what of incase you just bought a tokunbo car.. i noticed two things.. a toyota corrolla 07.. in the radiator; there's coolant there .. can i continue the usage; also, the engine oil; must it be serviced iimmediately or later on and also; the gear oil; should i leave it also?

Seeking help from professionals and experienced and to have an idea.... before the so called MECHO will be giving unnecessary advices
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by yesloaded: 8:57am On Jun 22, 2022
akinsanya005:
pls house.. what of incase you just bought a tokunbo car.. i noticed two things.. a toyota corrolla 07.. in the radiator; there's coolant there .. can i continue the usage; also, the engine oil; must it be serviced iimmediately or later on and also; the gear oil; should i leave it also?

Seeking help from professionals and experienced and to have an idea.... before the so called MECHO will be giving unnecessary advices

Pour brand new engine oil into that car asap.
Car dealers hardly change oil after importing a car into the country. 
Toyota Corolla engine oil is not expensive at all, so nothing stops you from changing the oil.
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by dru23(m): 2:22pm On Jun 22, 2022
akinsanya005:

For peace of mind. Change the oil
For peace of mind . have a mechanic drain the old coolant and put new coolant.....

It does not have to be Toyota coolant.. It does not have to be green, yellow, purple etc ..........that 07 corolla you got tokunbo depending when u got it .. The price has gone up due to increase in import duty...

Maintaining your car from now on will be in ur best interest........

Coolant and engine oil .. We have it available.all imported from the USA

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Conserve Fuel In Your Car During This Fuel Scarcity / New Plate Number: How Much In Lagos? / With N3.6million, This Chinese Automaker Will Build You This 3-D Car In 3 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.