Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,193 members, 7,811,501 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? (10001 Views)

Puff Puff Recipe / Recipe For Chin-chin And Puff-puff / Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? by MissIfe(f): 7:27pm On Jul 21, 2011
Hello there,

I always make a lot of puff puff at once, coz my family usually finish eating everything by the time I'm done frying it grin. This time they were not so hungry so I have many puff puf left for days, and now they're getting hard and not so appealing. Is there a way to use them? Maybe to cook something else? i usually always find a way to accomodate leftovers since I hate throwing food away, but this time I really don't know what to do.

Any suggestion welcom, thanks! smiley
Re: What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? by JeSoul(f): 8:57pm On Jul 21, 2011
If you make puddings or pies baked in the oven, perhaps they can be used as fillers? chopped up into smaller chunks to provide some 'chewy' texture along with the mush?

And oh, mind if you share your puffpuff recipe? I'm always interested in seeing the slight variations and spin people put on them. Thanks.
Re: What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? by MissyB3(f): 9:13pm On Jul 21, 2011
JeSoul:

If you make puddings or pies baked in the oven, perhaps they can be used as fillers? chopped up into smaller chunks to provide some 'chewy' texture along with the mush?
And oh, mind if you share your puffpuff recipe? I'm always interested in seeing the slight variations and spin people put on them. Thanks.
Jesoul, I don't get that o. I can't even imagine what it would look/taste like.
Re: What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? by JeSoul(f): 10:19pm On Jul 21, 2011
Missy ★ B:

Jesoul, I don't get that o. I can't even imagine what it would look/taste like.
Lol  cheesy just think of it as a kind of 'bread'.

For example making bread pudding:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_pudding

Bread pudding is a bread-based dessert popular in many countries' . . .
It is made using stale (usually left-over) bread, suet, egg, sugar or golden syrup, spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, mace or vanilla, and dried fruit.

Same concept kinda for pies. Usually a crust with filling of all kinds of wahala inside like fruits, bread crumbs, spices, meat etc . . . pretty much whatever you like.

I am personally not a fan of pies or puddings so unfortunately cannot give an authoritative opinion on how puff puff crumbs in there would taste  cheesy just throwing out some ideas for madam ife.
Re: What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? by MissIfe(f): 6:27am On Jul 22, 2011
I actually often do bread pudding with the bread left-over, last time I tried with puff puff, it still remained too hard. This time I'm gonna try to cut the puff puff and soak it in some milk before making the pudding. I'll let you know if it works. This kind of pudding is nice for breakfast, though my husband doesn't really like it.

As for my puff puff, I just make it very simple : flour, sugar (1/3 of the flour's quantity), yeast and water. I make them quite big though (that's the way hubby likes them wink ). I sometimes put nutmeg but I tend to prefer the plain version. I didn't think there were many possibile ways to make puff puff, what is yours?

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? by JeSoul(f): 8:20pm On Jul 22, 2011
Miss_Ife:

I actually often do bread pudding with the bread left-over, last time I tried with puff puff, it still remained too hard. This time I'm gonna try to cut the puff puff and soak it in some milk before making the pudding. I'll let you know if it works. This kind of pudding is nice for breakfast, though my husband doesn't really like it.
Soaking it in milk . . . great idea. Goodluck! smiley

As for my puff puff, I just make it very simple : flour, sugar (1/3 of the flour's quantity), yeast and water. I make them quite big though (that's the way hubby likes them wink ). I sometimes put nutmeg but I tend to prefer the plain version. I didn't think there were many possibile ways to make puff puff, what is yours?
Oh okay tks. Just wondering if you'd tried adding anything else to the mixture. I was thinking to add carrots or some other kind of sweet veggie or even small chopped up nuts. Haven't tried it yet though . . .
Re: What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? by MissIfe(f): 5:41pm On Jul 25, 2011
JeSoul:

Oh okay tks. Just wondering if you'd tried adding anything else to the mixture. I was thinking to add carrots or some other kind of sweet veggie or even small chopped up nuts. Haven't tried it yet though . . .

I've read somewhere someone added bananas or plantain. Never tried it yet, but I will certainly do one of these days. Let me know if you find a good recipe ! wink
Re: What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? by Ladytemi(f): 10:16pm On Aug 10, 2011
Miss_Ife:

Have u tried soaking the puff puff pieces in the bread pudding egg custard overnight and then bake.
Re: What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? by GoodWife: 9:41pm On Aug 12, 2011
Miss_Ife:

Hello there,

I always make a lot of puff puff at once, coz my family usually finish eating everything by the time I'm done frying it grin. This time they were not so hungry so I have many puff puf left for days, and now they're getting hard and not so appealing. Is there a way to use them? Maybe to cook something else? i usually always find a way to accomodate leftovers since I hate throwing food away, but this time I really don't know what to do.

I'm just seeing this and I guess my reply is late. Next time, store it in the freezer. Puff puff will not lose its taste for up to 2 weeks if it is frozen. When you want to eat it, bring it out and leave it to defrost at room temperature. Then warm in a microwave for a very short time, say 15 - 20 secs.

I don't promise it will be as good as fresh ones because freezing shrinks it but it's not bad either. wink
Re: What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? by melmbaso: 3:14pm On Aug 14, 2011
WELL BEING BRITISH I WOULD AUTOMATICALLY MAKE ABREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING OUT OF IT NOW IM NOT SURE IF YOU LIKE BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING BUT IT IS DELICIOUS ,

YOU USE OLD STALE BREAD OR IN YOUR CASE PUFFPUFF AND ADD BREAD TOO OF COURSE

BUTTER THE BREAD AND PUFF PUFF AND LAYER THEM IN A DEEP ROASTING TIN ABOUT 4INCHES+ IN HEIGHT BUTTER SIDE UP , YOUR WELCOME TO ADD RAISINS, SULTANAS AND OR FRUIT IN BETWEEN THE LAYERS OF BREAD AND PUFF PUFF (NO CRUSTS ON THE BREAD THO U NEED TO CUT THEM OFF) YOU CAN SPRINKLE A LITTLE CINNAMON INBETWEEN EACH LAYER (MINIMAL SPRINKLING) BUT YOU DONT HAVE TO USE IT AT ALL IF YOU DONT WANT
THEN YOU HEAT MILK AND CREAM ON A COOKER ON A LOW HEAT DONT BOIL, TAKE OFF THE HEAT, MIX EGGS, WHISK THEN ADD 3/4 OF THE SUGAR AND WHISK UNTIL SUGAR IS MELTED IN A SEPERATE BOWL UNTIL MIXTURE HAS TURNED WHITISH AS TO THE YELLOWISH COLOUR YOU STARTED WITH THEN ADD THIS MIX TO THE PAN OF MILK AND WHISK THRORUGHLY THEN POUR OVER THE BREAD AND PUFF PUFF UNTIL IT COVERS THE LAST/TOP LAYER OF PUFF PUFF AND BREADTHEN LIGHTLY SPRINKLE NUTMEG ONTOP OR YOU CAN SPRINKLE A LITTLE ICING SUGAR AFTER IT HAS COOKED IN THE OVEN FOR ABOUT 30 MINS,
SERVE WITH PAP/CUSTARD

OR YOU CAN EAT STALE PUFF PUFF WITH PAP/CUSTARD ALONE FOR BREAKFAST MMM KIDS WOULD LOVETHIS
Re: What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? by Maghan37: 2:57pm On Feb 23, 2022
Our treatment of animals shows we are yet to attain mental state compared to some developed countries. When i saw a video of brasilians guiding a python crossing the road to safety. I had great admiration for brasil as a country. In comparison to Nigeria, which makes me to reminise a situation whereby a Whale made the fatale mistake of landing on one of our beaches during the festive period. Well we acted primitively and butchered the poor creature to death. I do not even want to imagine where people having a good time on a beach got cutlass from.
Re: What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? by Kimiso(m): 4:25pm On Feb 23, 2022
MissIfe:
Hello there,

can you send the pics,before i suggest what you should do with it
Re: What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? by Kobojunkie: 5:22pm On Feb 23, 2022
MissIfe:
Hello there,

Refrigerate and microwave when ready to eat it again. That is what I do. undecided

You can use them as topics for your ice-cream. grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Food Does Not Scent.what Could Be The Cause? / Families Face Bleak Yuletide Over Rising Food Prices, Fares, Others / How Good Is Bruhm Freezer Brand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.